Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dr. Manhattan literally stole years out of their timeline, just go with that and squint until it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Joking around with a buddy made us wonder, has there ever been a story where Spiderman has to fight a villian but he has an inner-ear infection and can barely swing and/or gets sick while swinging around?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Joking around with a buddy made us wonder, has there ever been a story where Spiderman has to fight a villian but he has an inner-ear infection and can barely swing and/or gets sick while swinging around?

There's a sort of cute Fabian Nicieza fill-in issue of Web of Spider-Man from the later 80s where Spidey accidentally gets tipsy at a party before having to go off and fight the Hobgoblin or somebody. Plenty of panels of him careening into walls, shooting webs off into space, crashing into traffic, and generally being a disaster at his job. I'm sure there are other bad-guys with, like, disorientation or vertigo powers that I'm overlooking.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's the backstory on this? (Yes, I'm out of touch.)

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/900488421575196673

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

What's the backstory on this? (Yes, I'm out of touch.)

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/900488421575196673

Netflix's The Defenders.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also how they call the end of the first Avengers movie "the incident" as if everyone needs to be real coy about an alien invasion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Netflix's The Defenders.

It irritates me that the show apparently leaves out Doctor Strange, the Hulk, the Sub-Mariner, and the Silver Surfer.
:goonsay:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

It irritates me that the show apparently leaves out Doctor Strange, the Hulk, the Sub-Mariner, and the Silver Surfer.
:goonsay:

Marvel Studios doesn't have the rights to half those characters. And apparently aside from Jessica Jones, everyone has been a member of the comic book Defenders at one point.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Marvel Studios doesn't have the rights to half those characters. And apparently aside from Jessica Jones, everyone has been a member of the comic book Defenders at one point.

I'm not saying they don't have good reasons for what they're doing. I'm just whining because my favorites aren't in there. :rant:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

As of now so has Jessica! :v:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Can't remember when, but there's been probably more than one story where he has the flu.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There was a Romita era story with Gwen when Spider-Man was about to hang up his tights for good thinking his powers were going away but it was just the flu.

And then a Romita Jr. era story in the 90s where he was suffering from recurring vertigo and could barely swing and would get trapped on the sides of buildings.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Can't remember when, but there's been probably more than one story where he has the flu.

Spidey was actually sick during the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
There's a Web Of story from the 80s where someone spikes the punch at a party at Pete's house and he's drunk while fighting I think one of the goblins.

He also has a cold during Spider-Man Blue and I think passes out from sickness during The Short Halloween by Bill Hader.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
There's a story where Peter's half-dead with flu but goes out to fight Doctor Octopus anyway, only to do so horribly badly that Ock pastes him without even trying hard and then unmasks him, only to conclude from "Spider-Man's" insanely poor showing that Peter Parker had pulled a very brave but stupid stunt in putting on Spider-Man's costume to try and buy time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
He gets a cold in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and makes a specific note that he has to figure out a way to insulate his suit. It never affects anything though and conveniently he gets a contract from the Daily Bugle with enough cash to fix it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Saw Guardians 2 and have some questions from my sister and I.

Is the orginal Guardians of the Galaxy team featured in the movie good comics? I got excited seeing that reimagined lineup at the end and wanted to know if they were worth checking out.

How is Ego potrayed in the comics normally? A villian? A force of nature? Normal space threat?

How has time treated Adam Warlock? I think someone reccomened me to avoid his comics and hes kind of a blindspot to me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Saw Guardians 2 and have some questions from my sister and I.

Is the orginal Guardians of the Galaxy team featured in the movie good comics? I got excited seeing that reimagined lineup at the end and wanted to know if they were worth checking out.

They're pretty alright if you like 70s comics. The best of the original is the Steve Gerber-written material, and they appeared prominently in the Avengers storyline the Korvac Saga. Of most interest is the 90s series though, which in part is a stealth parody of extreme 90s comics, with goofy stuff like a street gang that models itself after the Punisher, TVs killing people, etc. That's where Taserface is from, he's a member of a race that worships Tony Stark as a god.

Oh yeah, and it's not only in the future, but an alternate universe, where they've successfully defeated an occupation of the Earth by a race called the Badoon.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How is Ego potrayed in the comics normally? A villian? A force of nature? Normal space threat?

He's usually a Thor villain, and in the comics he's not any sort of force of nature or celestial, although he still has massive power. He's a scientist who somehow merged himself with his home world when the sun was going to go nova. He's also never really had a human avatar. That might all change in response to the movie though.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How has time treated Adam Warlock? I think someone reccomened me to avoid his comics and hes kind of a blindspot to me.

Honestly, Jim Starlin's Warlock is one of the best superhero comics around. A classic of the genre. That person might have been recommending you avoid Infinity Crusade and Infinity War, which are godawful comics events. Or they just have terrible taste.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't know how well he holds up because I have a complete soft spot for him. He started off as a Jesus tale (came to a new world full of bad people, built up a small following with a message of peace, died for his teachings, then got resurrected). It's not subtle and your enjoyment is correlated to how much you can put up with that.

Jim Starlin went pure "cosmic" with him telling 4th dimensional morality tales and looking at free will vs fate. I totally recommend that collection if you're interested in the character.

Warlock by Jim Starlin: The Complete Collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785188479/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_zfSNzbT71FR9D

Most of the stuff I've read since then has him kind of stuck in that arc, going through "weird" adventures to fight what he is fated to become.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
honestly, read the entire cosmic marvel thing. it will take ages but there's really nothing better ever. best guardians ever but it may make you think the movie characters are useless.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CapnAndy posted:

There's a story where Peter's half-dead with flu but goes out to fight Doctor Octopus anyway, only to do so horribly badly that Ock pastes him without even trying hard and then unmasks him, only to conclude from "Spider-Man's" insanely poor showing that Peter Parker had pulled a very brave but stupid stunt in putting on Spider-Man's costume to try and buy time.

Yeah, it owns.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lightning Lord posted:

He's usually a Thor villain, and in the comics he's not any sort of force of nature or celestial, although he still has massive power. He's a scientist who somehow merged himself with his home world when the sun was going to go nova. He's also never really had a human avatar. That might all change in response to the movie though.

He did grow himself a body in Ultimates 2

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And then promptly ditched it when he didn't need it anymore.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

He gets a cold in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon and makes a specific note that he has to figure out a way to insulate his suit. It never affects anything though and conveniently he gets a contract from the Daily Bugle with enough cash to fix it.

I recall an issue of Paul Jenkins's Spectacular Spider-Man where Spidey is swinging around on a snowy day freezing his butt off and thinks about how he once tried a wool costume for winter, and it worked great ... right up until it got wet.

Lightning Lord posted:

Honestly, Jim Starlin's Warlock is one of the best superhero comics around. A classic of the genre. That person might have been recommending you avoid Infinity Crusade and Infinity War, which are godawful comics events. Or they just have terrible taste.

Starlin's cosmic stuff from the 60s and 70s, including his work on Captain Marvel and Warlock, is well worth seeking out, and his Dreadstar comics from the 80s are good too. After that, though, he gets pretty wanky and, of course, famously overprotective of "his" characters.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Selachian posted:

Starlin's cosmic stuff from the 60s and 70s, including his work on Captain Marvel and Warlock, is well worth seeking out, and his Dreadstar comics from the 80s are good too. After that, though, he gets pretty wanky and, of course, famously overprotective of "his" characters.

Co-signed but his recent Thanos OGNs are pretty good and have a sense of humor.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

And then promptly ditched it when he didn't need it anymore.

I'm no expert on growing bipedal avatars, but I'd have to think that if you grow yourself a Kurt Russell, you may wanna keep him around a while.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's also been numerous times when Pete's been sick and out on patrol or whatever and makes some goofy comment about sneezing in his mask.

Proportionate immune system os a spider, I suppose.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ecavalli posted:

I'm no expert on growing bipedal avatars, but I'd have to think that if you grow yourself a Kurt Russell, you may wanna keep him around a while.

Sometimes a giant head just wants to fly free

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Peter once got the flu, thought he was losing his powers, and told his friends he was Spider-Man.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I heard Captain America is now a Nazi? Is this actually true?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He is now and forever been a nazi

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which moron approved that lovely retcon?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Which moron approved that lovely retcon?

A Cosmic Cube.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The background to the event in Captain America: Steve Rogers was actually pretty good, as it showed the history the cosmic cube made him believe he'd lived (or made him actually live, who the gently caress knows) and how he struggled to fit his ideals in with the Hydra with good PR he believed he belonged to. Then the event itself kind of made him full Hitler (with a bit of hand wringing about it), and took away anything interesting about the premise in doing so. I guess Marvel crossovers in general are pretty good at wasting their premises across the board, which is probably due to page count restrictions on dealing with massive events that affect so many characters as much as anything. Oh well.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 26, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I heard Captain America is now a Nazi? Is this actually true?
Nick Spencer is the writer behind the whole thing. You can google his dubious early attempts at a career in politics, and prior to this Captain America run his big calling card was a series called Morning Glories, which is about a ~~mysterious~~ boarding school and is a very explicit demonstration about what happens if someone took 100% of the wrong lessons from Lost.

It lasted two "seasons"/50 issues and in that time managed to introduce the concepts of time travel, divergent timelines, evil twins, shapeshifting, reincarnation, mind control/possession, ghosts, clones, literal divine intervention, and almost nothing in the way of plot or character resolution. He hired a guy to do annotations in the back of the later issues and they were all pretty much "well assuming this character is who they say they are, and that they're from the main timeline, and they're not being possessed, then I suppose we can assume they're acting on behalf of this other character, who may well be the first character but from the future, except if they survived into the future, how does one explain the scene from four issues ago?"

He took over the Captain America book after Rick Remender left the book, and the status quo he inherited was that Steve Rogers had lost his Super Soldier Serum and was an elderly man who had given up the shield/title of Captain America to Sam Wilson aka the Falcon. Remender used this to tell sold if pretty straightforward superhero action/espionage stories.

When Spencer took over the book, he turned it into a weird mash-up of RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES REALNESS and well, uh, half-assed Doonesbury jokes? Racist supervillains giving good ol' boy redneck diatribes about havin' to press one for English on that dang ol' innnernet customer service line even though they dang ol' tarnation ain't getting proper fios download speeds on the Netflix, but also brutally abducting undocumented immigrants to sell to companies doing genetic experiments on grafting animal parts onto humans and then hiring supervillains who incorporated to murder all of the scientists to cover it up because you can't arrest a corporation for murder so the supervillains can bust into boardrooms and shoot people in the face and throw them out onto a crowded street while basically shouting DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY at the crowds who sort of shrug and go "well he's doing it for a corporation so I guess there's nothing we can do..." Also a lot of cartoonishly racist politicians and Fox News surrogates going NOT MY CAP and TAKE BACK THE SHIELD because "he just seems different, he's a nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnarcicist!" and other stories that somehow some people kind of liked?

Then there was a smaller crossover that revealed that Maria "Wisecracking War Criminal" Hill had violated UN sanctions to build a Cosmic Cube, which is a magic reality altering plot device, and used it to extra-judicially abduct a bunch of supervillains and alter reality so that instead of being psychotic cannibal mass murderers (or bankrobbers, or whatever) they were all Soder Shoppe owners or mechanics or milkmen in an artificially constructed idyllic small town. When heroes and other SHIELD members found out she was running this black site, she would just use the Cosmic Cube to brainwash them and throw them into the mind control jail city too.

Eventually some villains broke free of the programming because __________________ and some of the heroes found out about this and a big fight broke out. During the fight Old Man Steve Rogers was on site and was about to die at the hands of a villain when it was revealed that the Cosmic Cube Macguffin had gained sentience and thought it was a little girl named Kobik and Kobik liked nice old man Steve Rogers and restored him to his former youth and vigor.

EXCEPT unbeknownst to anyone else, the nice old priest in the town had befriended Kobik and the nice old priest wasn't part of the SHIELD Mind Control program but instead was secretly that mean ol' Nazi the Red Skull who did all of this because ________________ and he had tricked the little God Girl into not only making Steve young and strong again, but also tricked her into making it so that Steve and "Mr Skull" were "BEST FRIENDS".

This is how reality got altered so that secretly Steve Rogers has been a deep cover Nazi Hydra agent since the 1920s.

[This is the part where he spends a whole lot of time trying to justify this twist]

EXCEPT, as was explored in Captain America: Steve Rogers, the little God Girl rewrote his whole history so that long before Red Skull even became the Red Skull in the 1920s, a new lady apparently created by the God Girl had recruited Steve's mom into a labor party called the Hydra Society. And then Madame Hydra had murdered Steve's dad because he was an abusive drunk, and got Steve and his Mom to move to some secret Hydra base, where they later killed Steve's mom (while he was secretly watching) because she wasn't Down Enough With Hydra.

Then Hydra voted to join the Axis powers and Madame Hydra and Steve Rogers were all "NUH UH WE DON'T LIKE THE NAZIS, ADOLF HITLER IS A BAD MAN, WE SHOULDN'T BE HIS FRIEND." but you know, they're outvoted so they sort of shrug and decide okay, we're going to team up with the Nazis but we don't like 'em! Steve and Hydra work hard to destroy the Allies even though he's their most prominent warrior and they try not to dwell too much on this, but he'd very sad when the Red Skull -- A BAD MAN HE WOULD NEVER BE FRIENDS WITH -- takes over Hydra near the end of the War, and he swears one day he will kill the Red Skull for his perversion of all that he holds dear as a loyal Hydra soldier.

Then (I am not making this up but it's hardly been mentioned at all since its first appearance), Steve finds out that the Nazis are *this close* to winning WWII, but unfortunately the hated Americans have invented a Cosmic Cube and are going to use it to rewrite history and let them win the war. Steve is shuttled off by Isaac Newton and Nostradamus -- yep! -- and dunked into a magic pool that allows him to survive the reality re-writing I guess, so that when he is thawed out of the ice, he'll remember THE TRUTH and be a loyal Hydra soldier even if no one else remembers...

Then I guess because they never explored it, every appearance of Steve Rogers in comics from 1963-2016 happened just as it did in the comics, with Steve Rogers being a paragon of courage, loyalty, sacrifice, bravery, selflessness, equanimity, a true inspiration, mentor, and friend to everyone. Except he secretly hated them and was plotting their demise, deep inside.

Then back in the main run-up to Secret Empire, it was basically him plotting to kill the Red Skull (you know, the guy who tricked the God Girl into turning Steve into a Nazi so they could be friends) and doing a bunch of other really half-witted 'i'm going to try to sabotage this secretly and then when my sabotage doesn't work, I'll smirk and explain this is exactly how I planned things' plots while further smirking about how foolish and weak and stupid all of these beta cuck heroes are for trusting him, if they only knew...........

Then he kills Red Skull and executes all of his dumb plans that are like literally the plans of the Third Reich -- except he hates the Third Reich, he's definitely not a Nazi, he's Hydra! -- and Secret Empire starts, which is essentially 7-8 issues of Nazsteve committing atrocities and then going "but I mean, I'm not a bad guy" while all of the heroes are constantly thwarted and give monologues about how stupid they were, how foolish and blind and stupid they were to ever trust this man, you have to be a real dumb piece of poo poo beta cuck to have ever trusted a man as bad as Captain America, they never saw it coming, they're so loving stupid... and really, maybe, given how big and strong and confident Nazsteve is, who are we to say he's the bad guy? He won, we lost. We're such blind fools, tricked by the trickiest trickster ever!"

And then after seven issues of that Sam Wilson decides "you know what? Maybe I'm Captain America still! Let's fight back!" and all of the heroes are inspired by him fighting back and an Inhuman pukes up a piece of the Cosmic Cube and they use it to free all of the captured heroes and some of the captured heroes that died aren't really dead and maybe some of the heroes who seemed like they were Nazis change their mind and everyone fights back and now maybe they'll win!

It's a deeply terrible storyline from top to bottom, well beyond the political aspects. But also the political aspects.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

:words:

Steve is shuttled off by Isaac Newton and Nostradamus -- yep! -- and dunked into a magic pool that allows him to survive the reality re-writing I guess, so that when he is thawed out of the ice, he'll remember THE TRUTH and be a loyal Hydra soldier even if no one else remembers...

:words:

I only skimmed, this is what jumped out, now I wanna read.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bought Morning Glories on a sale a while back because it sounded interesting and I didn't know who Nick Spencer was.

I liked it well enough but then it hit what had to be the home stretch because a character just exposed and stopped the evil conspiracy and how do you go back to just a creepy boarding school story after this?

Then that's exactly what he did. And like some people are mildly upset about what happened. "I'll get you next time Gadget! Back to math class".

And there's dozens more issues after that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

I only skimmed, this is what jumped out, now I wanna read.

Read Hickman and Weaver's SHIELD. I guarantee it's a better Marvel comic featuring Newton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Did that series ever finish?