Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Welp I finally had enough of my piece of poo poo Jagdpanther II in constant tier 10 games where even unlocking the 105 let alone the Jagdtiger would've taken me several hundred more games, and sold that loving piece of garbage. It was a fun tank when I occasionally faced tier 8 and 7 tanks!

I quite enjoyed it with the 128mm gun :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

space pope posted:

I quite enjoyed it with the 128mm gun :/

Yeah it probably would've been decent with the 128 but... man. Like 95% of my games are the standard tier 10/9/8 games where the 88 is loving useless. Even if I shoot gold and go broke, I'll have trouble penetrating most tanks. So I'm getting gently caress all XP, especially since I have next to zero ability to influence the game and am at the mercy of pubbies, and thus lose more often than not.

Some mod I'm running estimates how long it'd take me to finish the unlocks (ie. unlock the 128mm) and how long to unlock the Jagdtiger. The figures for both were in the 450-500 game range. No loving way.

In more positive news I also unlocked the top gun on my Tiger II and learned how to play it, and it's an amazingly fun tank!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Der Shovel posted:

Welp I finally had enough of my piece of poo poo Jagdpanther II in constant tier 10 games where even unlocking the 128 let alone the Jagdtiger would've taken me several hundred more games, and sold that loving piece of garbage. It was a fun tank when I occasionally faced tier 8 and 7 tanks!

I've been playing Wargaming's other title World of Battleships and Some Destroyers Warbotes and had been thinking, I kind of miss tanks.

On the one hand it's reassuring that, in tanks like Warbotes, Tier X dictates match making is dictating lovely match making for Tier VIIIs. On the other, however, getting the XP to get from Tier VIII to Tier IX, and then from IX to X in Tanks is 6x harder than Botes.

This has me rethinking my desire to play more Tanks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Jagdpanther 2 used to be king poo poo a few years ago, but the nerfs to TD camo and its superstructure hosed it royally.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

MariusLecter posted:

Still my favorite Type-64 replay: https://youtu.be/15XZMl6pNno

It's a good play, although...
Carries 2 HE shells that would have been much more useful as ap or apcr.
And just a few misses and bounces that really screw him at the end of the match.

What a kick in the nuts that was.

Though the HE shells did serve him well, as they both rolled like 180ish or so.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

serious gaylord posted:

The Jagdpanther 2 used to be king poo poo a few years ago, but the nerfs to TD camo and its superstructure hosed it royally.

At one point a JP2 was a serious consideration for us during Silver League, and we in fact won multiple matches with KV-5s because they had legitimate armor and could still pen things. Tier eights got power creeped hard, and the JP2 got nerfed hard for no explicable reason.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Der Shovel posted:

In more positive news I also unlocked the top gun on my Tiger II and learned how to play it, and it's an amazingly fun tank!
Share your Tiger II wisdom Sensai.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cartoon posted:

Go back in time to 2010-2011 and play it *then*.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Go back in time to 2010-2011 and play it *then*.

Or play it in Historical Battles where the most threatening tank you can face is an M4 with the HE derp.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MariusLecter posted:

Still my favorite Type-64 replay: https://youtu.be/15XZMl6pNno

It's a good play, although...
Carries 2 HE shells that would have been much more useful as ap or apcr.
And just a few misses and bounces that really screw him at the end of the match.

2 HE is fine. It's really unlikely to have a game where you do 4000 damage in order to need the two extra shots, without ever seeing a 5 health tank or something you could full damage with HE. On low ammo tanks you just had to pay attention, and actually use the HE when it's useful.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

HFX posted:

I loving hate this server migration. The lost packets are back occasionally now where as they had been completely gone from east. Almost every game ends up one sided where half my team is gone before I get into position. I still mostly end up with T9 and T10 games. The top tiers are such utter trash that they rarely go to good positions and almost always cause a loss.

Artillery is still broken as gently caress. Even if it misses you for damage, it still stuns you for 25+ seconds. Take even 100 damage and lose 1-2 crew members on average.

In short gently caress this game. I wish I wasn't a competitive person so I could just play like I should be on SSI and enjoy it.

jokes on you im ssi positive and i uninstalled more times than i can count this game is suck!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah it probably would've been decent with the 128 but... man. Like 95% of my games are the standard tier 10/9/8 games where the 88 is loving useless. Even if I shoot gold and go broke, I'll have trouble penetrating most tanks. So I'm getting gently caress all XP, especially since I have next to zero ability to influence the game and am at the mercy of pubbies, and thus lose more often than not.

Some mod I'm running estimates how long it'd take me to finish the unlocks (ie. unlock the 128mm) and how long to unlock the Jagdtiger. The figures for both were in the 450-500 game range. No loving way.

Sorry, but your tool is garbage. This isn't anywhere near accurate. I've played the post-nerf JP2, and continued to play it quite a bit even after unlocking the Jagdtiger. Even if we assume the new matchmaking system could add a substantial amount of games played before unlocking the JT, there's no way you should breach 250 games.

/edit:
What's the XP required to unlock the JT, 140k or something? Let's say it's 150k, that's just above 330 XP per game for it to take you 450 games...horseshit.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 23, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well I just did 2,300 damage with two shots in my Type 4 :black101:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
I am now of the opinion that the British lines as they stand are mostly crap until they buff them. Do yourself a favor, stop at T5 on the heavy, T6 on the medium, skip the non turreted TD line, and only go up to the Archer on the other line. From there it is all downhill. The Caernarvon is absolutely crap as either a medium or a heavy.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Well I just did 2,300 damage with two shots in my Type 4 :black101:

You hit a CDC?
I've had mine one-shotted by a O-Ho.

HFX posted:

I am now of the opinion that the British lines as they stand are mostly crap until they buff them. Do yourself a favor, stop at T5 on the heavy, T6 on the medium, skip the non turreted TD line, and only go up to the Archer on the other line. From there it is all downhill. The Caernarvon is absolutely crap as either a medium or a heavy.

The non-turreted line has the AT-2, AT-7, which are legit.
AT-15 is great if you get tier8 battles, not so much otherwise.
Also, the Conq is fabulous.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Last week I saw a T110E3 shooting HE for 200ish damage against tanks he could easily pen with AP.

I've been seeing a lot of unnecessary HE out of 152/155 mm guns lately.

Control Volume posted:

I havent come back. Thats what the post is saying.

I know you said you're not back, yet. What I'm saying is that, eventually, they ALWAYS come back. :getin:

I'm not even joking around, I've been here for years and over time have watched goons come and go. Most of them can't stay away forever.

Tahirovic posted:

I actually bought the Sabaton tank because it's the best music for playing this piece of poo poo game. Guess I'll grind some personal missions with it, always loved the Cent and the Conq anyway.

Am I the only one who's never heard of loving "Sabaton?!?" :psyduck:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Sorry, but your tool is garbage. This isn't anywhere near accurate. I've played the post-nerf JP2, and continued to play it quite a bit even after unlocking the Jagdtiger. Even if we assume the new matchmaking system could add a substantial amount of games played before unlocking the JT, there's no way you should breach 250 games.

/edit:
What's the XP required to unlock the JT, 140k or something? Let's say it's 150k, that's just above 330 XP per game for it to take you 450 games...horseshit.

I think I have the same mod; it's just performing the calculations based on base XP, not including any modifiers. The estimated battles it reports of course isn't accurate, but then again it's not like it can accurately account for all the variable boosts anyways. It's more useful for tracking the XP left for various unlocks and reminding you when you can research something.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Cardiac posted:

You hit a CDC?
I've had mine one-shotted by a O-Ho.

I full penned E5s on a couple occasions during ranked battles in my Type 5. Felt real good.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Am I the only one who's never heard of loving "Sabaton?!?" :psyduck:

They are a decent heavy metal band from Sweden who sings about war and mostly about WW2 (of course).
Relatively successful in the genre and I have seen them live as a front band for Iron Maiden.

As they are history nerds, they have a tendency to glamorise war including the Wehrmacht parts of WW2.
In all fairness they are not focused on Ze Germans, but have covered all sides of WW2.
Them being a a favourite band for Wehraboos is hardly surprising, since they are the metal version of the History Channel.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I mean I know a little about them now, but I guess I'd never heard of them before because I don't listen to metal at all? I mean it's still weird because I pretty much exclusively listen to electronic/dance/bass but I still know of artists from other genres, except Sabaton. :iiam:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BadLlama posted:

Only thing worse than people spamming HE when they shouldn't be is when people aren't shooting HE when they should be. Just last night some guy in a KV-2 derp was trying to pen the front of my AMX 49 with what like 68 pen or something? Is that even enough to pen my lovely copula?

With the KV-2s derp, HE is the only way to go. Going AP with the derp gun only works on the same tier shittiest tanks and lower, and most of the time that's if you get them in a weak spot (pure luck with the poo poo accuracy) or if they turn side on to you.
I still laugh at the IS that thought he'd sidescrape the north corner on El Halluf only to catch a few HE rounds from my KV-2.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

They are a decent heavy metal band from Sweden who sings about war and mostly about WW2 (of course).
Relatively successful in the genre and I have seen them live as a front band for Iron Maiden.

As they are history nerds, they have a tendency to glamorise war including the Wehrmacht parts of WW2.
In all fairness they are not focused on Ze Germans, but have covered all sides of WW2.
Them being a a favourite band for Wehraboos is hardly surprising, since they are the metal version of the History Channel.

I wouldn't say they are focused on the Germans, they cover many aspects of WW2 and I wouldn't say a single song glorifies Germany either. The stuff about the older parts of history are better anyway.
They are way past "support band" as well, they are one of the best metal bands to see live currently. I've seen them several times now, once as support of Maiden and they easily outperformed those old men (might be because the new Maiden album is mediocre).

Sadly the teams were being super poo poo yesterday, so I had problems making my Primo Victoria work. Had a 4.8k or something damage game in my Cent 7/1 tough, still a good tank that one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cartoon posted:

Hang way way way back, hide behind tougher tanks and hope enemies shoot at it, then enjoy your decent gun. I guess I'm kinda playing mine like a turreted TD right now.

For the longest time I was having a really hard time with it, but then it just suddenly clicked and I started having good games. It's my only tier 8 heavy so it might ACTUALLY be a horrible piece of poo poo and I just don't have a point of reference, but I'm liking it!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yep! That's about how much XP I'd be getting in a loss match where I do ~400-500 damage (and often even less because I'd die before getting the chance to shoot once)? Not all my games were like that, but MANY of my games were. Couldn't penetrate poo poo, couldn't hit poo poo from the ranges I'd have to be shooting from not to get insta-murdered after my first shot.

Maybe it'd get better with the 128mm gun but with the 88 it was a loving horrible ding fest and the second gun upgrade is more of the same with much more expensive shells. It was a painful, horrible grind and I just didn't see much point in sticking with it when I have many more fun options to play.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 23, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Atomizer posted:

Yeah I mean I know a little about them now, but I guess I'd never heard of them before because I don't listen to metal at all? I mean it's still weird because I pretty much exclusively listen to electronic/dance/bass but I still know of artists from other genres, except Sabaton. :iiam:
Well they are pretty huge now, but their rise to popularity is a relatively recent thing so I think it's entirely feasible to not know about them if you don't follow the metal scene. As a comparison, I of course know of electronic artists like Daft Punk and Kraftwerk and whatnot, but that doesn't mean I've heard of every artist that's risen to fame in the last five-or-so years, as I don't follow electronic music. Unless it's synthwave, becase that is extremely my poo poo.

As for the tank, I would actually like to own that thing because while I'm not a Sabaton fan, it's a silly fun novel idea and I like Centurions anyway. I just can't justify that sort of expense for a pixel tank at all at the moment, especially as I just recently bought the drat FV4202 (which I kinda wish I hadn't eventhough it was at a hefty discount).

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Cardiac posted:

they are the metal version of the History Channel.
I've never heard anything by them, but surely they cannot be that bad!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I mean their lyrics are cheesy as hell and their English is a bit dodgy at times, but they're not that kind of bad, no.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Nordick posted:

Well they are pretty huge now, but their rise to popularity is a relatively recent thing so I think it's entirely feasible to not know about them if you don't follow the metal scene. As a comparison, I of course know of electronic artists like Daft Punk and Kraftwerk and whatnot, but that doesn't mean I've heard of every artist that's risen to fame in the last five-or-so years, as I don't follow electronic music. Unless it's synthwave, becase that is extremely my poo poo.

As for the tank, I would actually like to own that thing because while I'm not a Sabaton fan, it's a silly fun novel idea and I like Centurions anyway. I just can't justify that sort of expense for a pixel tank at all at the moment, especially as I just recently bought the drat FV4202 (which I kinda wish I hadn't eventhough it was at a hefty discount).

Some of us got the FV4202 for free. :smug:

Nordick posted:

I mean their lyrics are cheesy as hell and their English is a bit dodgy at times, but they're not that kind of bad, no.

Don't ruin my analogue :argh:
But yeah, they are rather inoffensive all in all and sort of enjoyable if you like that kinda of metal (which you have demonstrated in the metal thread)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HFX posted:

I feel the same way. I know the Conq is great but I don't know how suffering through 8 tiers of pure poo poo is ever going to be worth it.

I've enjoyed the mediums up to and including the Cromwell. I just started on the Comet and it seems unremarkable. I think I'll wait to carry through it until the rest of the line gets buffed.

Looking back at the Archer it was actually kind of a somewhat fun gimmick and that gun is absolutely monstrous for it's tier. The rest of them are lackluster. I guess the Charioteer is the best part of the line (and it's pretty bad before you get the top gun) but if that interests you, it might make more sense to save yourself dozens of hours and just pony up for the superior Skorpion.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HFX posted:

I am now of the opinion that the British lines as they stand are mostly crap until they buff them.

I liked the Centurion and Conq.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

BadLlama posted:

I liked the Centurion and Conq.

Yeah the Conq is good. The only thing I'd ask Murazor for is a bit more speed. Even the E75 goes faster than the Conq. 40 should be the min speed for non-super-heavy T9 heavies.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
watch some kids with a peppa pig accent play this game with a very easiliy guessed ending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPMqztfGGiE i also think its ineresting how anfield uses his probably normal accent since hes around these kids rather than his stream american sounding self :thunk:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Der Shovel posted:

Hang way way way back, hide behind tougher tanks and hope enemies shoot at it, then enjoy your decent gun. I guess I'm kinda playing mine like a turreted TD right now.

For the longest time I was having a really hard time with it, but then it just suddenly clicked and I started having good games. It's my only tier 8 heavy so it might ACTUALLY be a horrible piece of poo poo and I just don't have a point of reference, but I'm liking it!

Yep! That's about how much XP I'd be getting in a loss match where I do ~400-500 damage (and often even less because I'd die before getting the chance to shoot once)? Not all my games were like that, but MANY of my games were. Couldn't penetrate poo poo, couldn't hit poo poo from the ranges I'd have to be shooting from not to get insta-murdered after my first shot.

Maybe it'd get better with the 128mm gun but with the 88 it was a loving horrible ding fest and the second gun upgrade is more of the same with much more expensive shells. It was a painful, horrible grind and I just didn't see much point in sticking with it when I have many more fun options to play.

The tiger 2 gets penned in its ufp by equivalent tier 8 heavies.

That says enough.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Tiger 2 armor isn't that bad, when you angle correctly your sides are auto bounces and your UFP gets around 225-230mm. That level of armor makes it a dice roll for a lot of rounds, of course, you shouldn't be pushing in the front in a tiger 2.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tonight I saw an E 100 drown himself because the team was down a few tanks. He was at 61% HP.

He had 0 damage and a 41% win rate in it after 2k+ games. Quixperience is real.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 24, 2017

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Every time I think about playing this game again, I check this thread, see how miserable everything in this game is (and especially the playerbase), and lose all motivation to play again, so.... Thanks Thread!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Every time I think about playing this game again, I check this thread, see how miserable everything in this game is (and especially the playerbase), and lose all motivation to play again, so.... Thanks Thread!

They always come back! :getin:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

PotatoManJack posted:

Every time I think about playing it I check the website and see that artillery is still in the game, that method works pretty well too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Every time I think about playing it I check the website and see that artillery is still in the game, that method works pretty well too.

they buffed artillery

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

they buffed artillery

Indeed they did and in a good way ie no more one-shots (gently caress you if you drive something with no though).
Slightly shorter reload, better aiming means more consistent damage over time and my Obj212A is currently fun as hell.
Did 2 of the T-55A missions in consecutive missions yesterday.

I also had a Prok game which ended in a draw thanks to no arty.
I spent the entire game in my Conq on the middle ridge checking a purple T26E5.
Since the rest of our teams were useless fucks, no side could realistically push and I kept wishing for having arty on either side to make the game end faster.
But hey, I unlocked the FV215B ...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Hellsau posted:

Or play it in Historical Battles where the most threatening tank you can face is an M4 with the HE derp.

Hey, the Easy 8 with the 76mm could pen the sides and back of the KT at greater than point-blank range. I pissed off many a pubbie doing that on the map that's bisected by a river with 3 bridges over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Couldn't you take the hellcat with the 76mil into historic as well? Similar outcome to the Easy 8. I mildly enjoyed historic, but like many game modes the rewards weren't worth the effort.