Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

Right I got that confused. All of her bodyguards were the ones whose thoughts we saw. Yeah she was super screwed.

It's also sad because she knew she was going to die.

No she didn't she seemed to think everything was fine. But was too young to really understand how bad things were for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
double posted for some reason.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 18, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tweet my meat posted:

She saw something strangling her and they deduced it was a clone that did it. The clone's face is hidden and they never outright state that the clone couldn't be an animal in a suit that is similar in shape to a human. Goreinu was also, rather suspiciously, nowhere to be found while she was being killed.

Goreinu's gorillas are emission, so normal people shouldn't be able to see them. Though this is a bit of a strange case since it's a woman who has a temporary nen power observing through a cockroach.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No she didn't she seemed to think everything was fine. But was too young to really understand how bad things were for her.

Between her mother taking most of her guards away for her brother, her comments to her guards, and her thoughts about how all the younger princes and queens have no choice but to feel fear because they don't have the capacity to be king. I am more than certain that she had written herself off.

RatHat posted:

Goreinu's gorillas are emission, so normal people shouldn't be able to see them. Though this is a bit of a strange case since it's a woman who has a temporary nen power observing through a cockroach.

This has me scratching my head. How can Queen Oito see the Nen beast if she herself doesn't know nen. The dolphin makes some sense since it's effectively in her brain.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Between her mother taking most of her guards away for her brother, her comments to her guards, and her thoughts about how all the younger princes and queens have no choice but to feel fear because they don't have the capacity to be king. I am more than certain that she had written herself off.

I read it as a condescending pity for Maryam for not having the capacity to be king. I should check the Viz translation of that line, I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No she said she was fine and thought to herself she was more tired then normal. Then stated she pitied her mother and little brother for not being capable of becoming King. She was only talking about Sevanti and Marayam.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I read it as a condescending pity for Maryam for not having the capacity to be king. I should check the Viz translation of that line, I guess.

I read it as defeatism. She is definitely calm in these chapters so she isn't like her mother and brother in the whole "unfit to be king because of fear" category. Since she has probably the least amount of screen time of the princes alongside her brother so we don't really know if she's like Kacho who is acting like she has a chance. So a lot of my reading is based on archetypes and association. She's got a demure appearance, a passive attitude, and a mother that is clearly favoring one sibling over the other. If I had to guess I would say this isn't the first time Momoze has been dropped in favor of her younger brother and she's used to being put aside. Not only that but she's not unaware that the younger princes have no real chance as she understands their fear and is at least aware that "dropping out" can mean bad things. Lastly is the fact that she is still willing to send away her remaining guards leaving herself alone and she is not aware of her beast.

So the question comes down to: Do you think she is calm because she thinks she has a shot? I think she's aware she's on limited time and just wants her brother to feel safe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't read it like that. I think she thought she was fit to be King and felt sorry for her mother and brother. But was simply too young to really understand anything about what was going on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, she clearly views them as unfit because they're so scared for Maryam's safety. Her mother and brother are "overcome with fear", while she is confident in her ability to win.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

RatHat posted:

Even so, the bodyguard disguise that Goreinu put on his gorilla when he sent it to strangle her was not made of nen and could be observed clearly, despite the wearer being a nen construct. Everything fits, the answer is clear.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm also going with Momoze's corpse being a clone or Kortopi-style copy (RIP Kortopi).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
someone's gotta die first, and she was the easiest target.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
I thought Sale~Sale would be the first to go, and I still think he's up next. Now he's also very different from Momoze, to balance out the losers roster.

Do you think Momoze's nen beast asking politely for your attention ties into her being ignored in favor of her brother?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

GrudgeOnion posted:

Do you think Momoze's nen beast asking politely for your attention ties into her being ignored in favor of her brother?

That would actually be neat if it was.

We'll probably have to see what the other beasts can do before making a judgement though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I want to know what happens to the bodyguards when they fail and the prince dies, which is the reason why I think Woble will be next.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Post the ones with thighs

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
they say she only got offed because she exhausted herself enough that her nen beast wasnt able to defend her, but how did her attacker know that she was undefended? i bet it was one of her guards who could observe that her nen beast went away

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

they say she only got offed because she exhausted herself enough that her nen beast wasnt able to defend her, but how did her attacker know that she was undefended? i bet it was one of her guards who could observe that her nen beast went away

they didn't. they were gonna sneak in and try to murder her regardless. if her nen beast was the mind control one i doubt it could have protected her anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"Hey let me know when you're free after murdering my master"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they didn't. they were gonna sneak in and try to murder her regardless. if her nen beast was the mind control one i doubt it could have protected her anyway.
The inherent weakness of Free Bear is that is requires the target to be able to use Nen. Even if she were wide awake, if that was it's only ability it couldn't protect her against a normal human. Which is also the point of the battle royale, to weed out the nen beasts that are not fit for the role of Guardian.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wild Horses posted:

Post the ones with thighs

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

That doesn't look healthy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It came from tumblr

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/prozdkp/status/899040216433938433

I need this figure.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

too spooky

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Too cute?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the only good part
of the chimera ant arc

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

the only good part
of the chimera ant arc

was episodes 76-136

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

the only good part
of the chimera ant arc

Um what about the king and chairman competition to be the most passive aggressive rear end in a top hat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yeh sorry i always just get fixated on one character

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sea Sponge Run posted:

yeh sorry i always just get fixated on one character
To be fair, Pitou rules a lot. Of course, so do a ton of characters, because Togashi is not a loving hack of a writer.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Im glad Kurapika is dead.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

best parts are:
knuckle and shoot being bros and not letting youpi being a dick slide,
Gon being a bad hombre
every scene with werefin

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hunter Time

http://readms.net/r/hunter_x_hunter/369/4514/1

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The awakening latent nen abilities thing is a bit bullshit-ty but I'm all up for Oito getting more screentime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How many years of his life has Kurapika sacrificed already?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Woble calling Kurapica Dada made me wonder if Kurapica and Oito are going to hook up after the King inevitably dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

blizzardvizard posted:

The awakening latent nen abilities thing is a bit bullshit-ty but I'm all up for Oito getting more screentime.

This might explain how Kurapika intends to teach everyone nen in 2 weeks, maybe?

On the other hand given the drawbacks of his Dolphin I'm probably wrong.