Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I kind of hope he doesn't. Instead he can go hang out with Andrew Jackson in the fiery pits of damnation.

Jackson has always ranked pretty high though? You're thinking of noted bad presidents Buchanan and Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, furries are still super weird and that is funny, but stuff like the early 2000s nazi imagery somethingawful did around furries kinda played out the way a lot of forums did, where it's super odvious that it was like 75% people playing along in a "this is so hyperbolic the joke is how silly this is" and 25% "yeah, I like this nazi stuff, lets make 4chan"

Yeah, I don' t think anyone could have really predicted the road we were starting down. Nazis were just as much a joke ten years ago as furries were.

I went to counter-protest a Klan rally ten years ago and it was more laughable than the rally in Blues Brothers. Twenty or so goiter-ridden rejects in clownish robes trying to use megaphones to out-shout a thousand counterprotestors and failing, all while surrounded and outnumbered 2-1 by black cops.

The night after Trump was elected I went to an anti-Trump "not our president" rally. There were a bunch of furries mingled in with the anti-Trump protestors and, opposing them, a roughly equal number of confederate-flag-waving Trumpites, some with swastika tattoos. I took one look, thought "well, I know which side I'm on," and went over and stood next to the furries.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

rkajdi posted:

You personally can get stuff ready for it though, like having actual cash instead of a number in a bank. Or am I being hyperbolic and just worrying way too much about things?

Lol if you think having wheelbarrows full of useless dollars in a post-economic collapse world is gonna buy you more than a loaf of bread.

Your only hope is to buy gold:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Buy gold!!!!1

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I don' t think anyone could have really predicted the road we were starting down. Nazis were just as much a joke ten years ago as furries were.

I went to counter-protest a Klan rally ten years ago and it was more laughable than the rally in Blues Brothers. Twenty or so goiter-ridden rejects in clownish robes trying to use megaphones to out-shout a thousand counterprotestors and failing, all while surrounded and outnumbered 2-1 by black cops.

The night after Trump was elected I went to an anti-Trump "not our president" rally. There were a bunch of furries mingled in with the anti-Trump protestors and, opposing them, a roughly equal number of confederate-flag-waving Trumpites, some with swastika tattoos. I took one look, thought "well, I know which side I'm on," and went over and stood next to the furries.

Any person dedicated to anything enough to go protest in a fur lined coffin in 90 degree weather for eight hours is alright in my book.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Eeyo posted:

I don't get the eclipse tweet. Doesn't that imply that Obama is the sun, or in other words a hugely impressive ball of nuclear fusion that gives us all our energy and traps us gravitationally? Whereas Trump is the moon, a small rock that formed from a collision of a bigger rock on the earth. Also this means Trump is slowly moving outwards in his orbit from the earth.

Makes sense.

It's actually a really clever metaphor. The moon exerts power over the tides, and therefore Trump is portraying himself as a King Cnut figure who also had dominion over those same natural forces, who went on to conquer England and united the English (American) and Danish (Canadian) thrones. It is also a glimpse into the future, as soothsayer Trump knows he will be soon usurped by a french bastard (Trudeau) whose empire will hold sway for the next 400 years.

(yes I know)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grapplejack posted:

Jackson has always ranked pretty high though? You're thinking of noted bad presidents Buchanan and Johnson.

The Trail of Tears and Panic of 1837 say otherwise.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

No I picked properly. Andrew Jackson was a huge piece of poo poo.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Andrew Jackson is ranked highly, but it's not because he was a decent person.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, and not just specifically because nazis are in the news now. Like furries are gross and weird, but after a bunch of years it became so obvious how much the language and 'training" people had for 'trolling' furries got directly carried over to people attacking less funny to attack groups.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are furries even a thing anymore? I thought they moved on to My Little Pony and then to Donald J Trump.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Any person dedicated to anything enough to go protest in a fur lined coffin in 90 degree weather for eight hours is alright in my book.

Oh they were mostly just donning tails and ears and this was at night in November

but I get your point

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Furries are very much still a thing, and most of them hate the MLP folks too.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

It's hard out there for a conservative brony.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/900350280398655488

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So now just waiting for the article that confirms it actually is Jim Justice.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/900727233203011584

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

rkajdi posted:

The Trail of Tears and Panic of 1837 say otherwise.

The panic was primarily caused by the Bank of England raising its interest rates, which had a negative effect on the US (which was largely agricultural and couldn't handle price shocks).

Mustached Demon posted:

No I picked properly. Andrew Jackson was a huge piece of poo poo.

You'd be surprised at how many presidents have done worse things than Jackson.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What the hell was it about MLP that attracted so many bigots for a show about friendship with an all female cast? Was it just that creepy nerds got into it and then since a lot of these guys are gamer gate style people they just became the public face of that fandom outside of the intended audience?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Say the words "Donald J. Trump Presidential Library" and tell me how awful the taste is.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/824680714344026112

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Shortest Path posted:

That seems odd to me. Was it because bronies are (or were now, I guess) the group to hate on so they decided to be the mocker instead of the mocked?

On a slightly related note, anyone else notice the ones turning to nazism the most tend to be people associated with openly mocked subcultures? Animeright, Naziurries, to name two. What are the chances they will wake up one day and go "holy poo poo, it is scary how absolutely stupid I've been?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Radish posted:

What the hell was it about MLP that attracted so many bigots for a show about friendship with an all female cast? Was it just that creepy nerds got into it and then since a lot of these guys are gamer gate style people they just became the public face of that fandom outside of the intended audience?

Pretty much yeah. It was a show about friendship and acceptance that all these massive manchildren latched onto because they have no positive social interaction in their lives. Shockingly, those types of people are also very likely to become MRA redpilled gamergators.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Radish posted:

It drew a lot of people who were into it "ironically" at the beginning, and that audience distilled itself down to people who drank the Kool-Aid. Then those people reached out to their equally-creepy friends and convinced them to come along for the ride, and it just got more and more disgusting.

It's pretty much parallel to the evolution of /r/the_donald

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/900702439233421313

It was reported the man had his middle finger out of the window as he did it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Radish posted:

If I had to guess it is still a lot of repressed toxic masculinity. Years of denial about the more feminine side of ponies leading into the ultimate "look I'm so manly" of signing up with Facism.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

The panic was primarily caused by the Bank of England raising its interest rates, which had a negative effect on the US (which was largely agricultural and couldn't handle price shocks).

You'd be surprised at how many presidents have done worse things than Jackson.

.........thanks. thank you grapplejack, destroyer of jokes.

I'd say Reagan can join but I'm sure the good Lord Satan (hail) has a more devious punishment for that mush brained fuckwad.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are furries even a thing anymore? I thought they moved on to My Little Pony and then to Donald J Trump.

Yes. There's even alt-right and antifa flavored furries that have it out for each other. There was some recent poo poo with those groups that drew the attention of the FBI and probably the ATF.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grapplejack posted:

Jackson's stupid anti-central banking movement (see Specie Circular and other stupid goldbug poo poo) helped make it much worse. Just like how Hoover didn't cause the Great Depression, but he helped insure that it would be as bad as it was.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Phoix posted:

So now just waiting for the article that confirms it actually is Jim Justice.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/900727233203011584

Why WV? What an odd cover for a Russian agent. There's nothing in-state that would facilitate Russian connections, I think.

E: maybe the upswing in natural gas?

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 24, 2017

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drone posted:

Lol if you think having wheelbarrows full of useless dollars in a post-economic collapse world is gonna buy you more than a loaf of bread.

Your only hope is to buy gold:

Again, oddly enough this makes me feel better. If we're at the point where gold bugs (or lol bitcoiners) are the only people with actual cash, it was going to be a shitshow anyway regardless of what I did. Just like the Korean nuclear thing, it's one of those things that I'm trying to get over so I can operate normally during the day.

I'm also someone with a severe anxiety problem that I see someone for, so feel free to laugh at the literal crazy person. I'm honestly just looking for someone to help talk me off the ledge so I can function for the rest of the workday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cochise posted:

Yes. There's even alt-right and antifa flavored furries that have it out for each other. There was some recent poo poo with those groups that drew the attention of the FBI and probably the ATF.

Can you imagine being the FBI agent that got saddled with checking into the antifa furry community

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The debt ceiling debate will go like all of them have so far, both sides will blame it on the other, the government will probably shut down for a week while people tell Congress to get their poo poo together, and then the ceiling will eventually be raised.

Apparently the Republicans think that raising it is good now so lol

I think the big doomsday fear is that Trump won't sign it in time. While they can definitely override his veto (and have the votes to) he has 10 days from when he receives a bill to either sign it or send it back. If he gets that bill within 10 days of the debt ceiling and he decides to sit on it (because he loves bankruptcy and that's his thing) then poo poo will hit the fan.

Of course he is a gigantic pussy as well so I'm guessing someone will strong arm him into signing it, as what happened with the Russia sanctions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

rkajdi posted:

Again, oddly enough this makes me feel better. If we're at the point where gold bugs (or lol bitcoiners) are the only people with actual cash, it was going to be a shitshow anyway regardless of what I did. Just like the Korean nuclear thing, it's one of those things that I'm trying to get over so I can operate normally during the day.

I'm also someone with a severe anxiety problem that I see someone for, so feel free to laugh at the literal crazy person. I'm honestly just looking for someone to help talk me off the ledge so I can function for the rest of the workday.

The US isn't going to go Greece anytime soon. Calm down, go outside for a bit, take a nice walk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Radish posted:

There are bigots posting on websites on how we need to kill all the gays with Steven Universe avatars and reviews/reacts to the show on their youtube channels. People like this purposefuly ignore the sub(isn't it subtext?)text if they like the series or recongize it but hate on and say it would be better without it.

They certainly love their dogwhistles when doing so too.

"Star Wars The Force Awakens would be better if Rey and Finn weren't the main characters. They are just so boring and unrelatable. Rey is such a Mary Sue and doesn't earn anything in the movie that she pulls off. It's like the plot goes "she's a strong female character: she can just have all the powers." It's blatant pandering. I mean, the jedi mindtrick scene was atrocious and shits on the entire franchise.

Finn is just a bumbling oaf with no place in the film and takes screentime away from better characters.

Also, Kylo Ren was such a wuss and could have been much cooler if he was more like Vader. His emotional outbursts ruin the movie. If we had a cool, rational, effective character like Kylo Ren, the movie would be a lot better."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/900702439233421313

It was reported the man had his middle finger out of the window as he did it

The first comment in the article is stunningly lovely and really needs to be seen by everyone on this forum.

I can't figure out if it's a right winger trying to false flag the thing or a liberal basically eagerly shooting his own allies.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Why WV? What an odd cover for a Russian agent. There's nothing in-state that would facilitate Russian connections, I think.

Justice himself sold his mines to a Russian company in 2009 and bought them back at 1% of the sale price in 2015. The same year the company almost went bankrupt and the Russian government stepped in and bailed them out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

rkajdi posted:

You personally can get stuff ready for it though, like having actual cash instead of a number in a bank. Or am I being hyperbolic and just worrying way too much about things?

When planning for disasters it's best to actually explicitly articulate what scenario you're planning for, how a measure prepares you for that scenario, and if your plans introduce additional risk. The idea is to make sure you're actually planning rather than performing a calming ritual.

As a thought experiment, how would you rank the likeliness of the following:
-your house being broken into
-a financial meltdown bad enough to cause banks to temporarily disallow withdrawals to prevent a run on the banks
-a meltdown so bad the banks collapse, yet not bad enough currency becomes worthless
-currency becoming worthless, yet not so bad that bartering is infeasible
-things get so hosed all plans are for naught

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Javes posted:

I see he is laser focused on tax reform

At this point having the baleful eye of Donny focus on Tax Reform likely would make it even harder for Pauly D. and the Turtle to find a way to a win.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one gets really mad about furries any more (here at least) because both sides realized that what was really causing all the hate was being loudly obtrusive about your weird hangups in public spaces.

Feldegast42 posted:

I think the big doomsday fear is that Trump won't sign it in time. While they can definitely override his veto (and have the votes to) he has 10 days from when he receives a bill to either sign it or send it back. If he gets that bill within 10 days of the debt ceiling and he decides to sit on it (because he loves bankruptcy and that's his thing) then poo poo will hit the fan.

Of course he is a gigantic pussy as well so I'm guessing someone will strong arm him into signing it, as what happened with the Russia sanctions.

Don't forget that a debt ceiling breach can't be pinned down to a certain moment and depends on the vagaries of the Treasury's internal cash flow, so it'll just become more and more likely until it suddenly happens. Congress is going to have to convince itself to do this pre-emptively when there's no obvious bright line.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Phoix posted:

He's having a morning.

edit: and he's halfway through another tweet now

Trump's reign will be short and nobody will be able to look away while it lasts, but ultimately we will return to a more intelligent administration.
AGC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If I had to guess it is still a lot of repressed toxic masculinity. Years of denial about the more feminine side of ponies leading into the ultimate "look I'm so manly" of signing up with Facism.

I think there are a lot of people out there just searching for an identity, some sort of group to belong to, without necessarily caring that much about which group it is. Old days those folks would end up in cults; these days they join internet subcultures instead. If you're that type of person on that kind of search, you might end up a member of almost any group.

• Locked thread