Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Stato-Masochist
Aug 22, 2010

the air is fresh, there's plenty of parking, plenty of space to walk around

I know the show was well past its prime by this time, but the Tony Hawk/Blink-182 cameo episode is what killed it for me. I was 14 i think at the time, and the pandering was way too obvious. This put in sharp focus how little the new episodes had to offer. I still have a fondness for universally regarded as lovely episodes like 'Tomacco," but after the Bart gets emancipated episode I couldn't give a poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltraine
Feb 8, 2017

by Smythe

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

berth ell pup posted:

I wonder what timeframe Hartman was thinking of in 1997 as "the time the show becomes unprofitable."

Do you think he thought it would be around in 2017 with no sign of stopping?

I imagine he at least figured he'd outlive the show.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

khwarezm posted:

Well a lot of that was deleted scenes and original Tracey Ullman shorts, so stuff viewers typically don't see from aired episodes. In fact they wouldn't have been available at all up until the era of DVD extras (and even still, I can't think of anywhere to find the original Tracey Ullman shorts).

they used to frequently run old Tracy Ullman episodes on Nickelodeon or Comedy Central or one of those cable channels back around that time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
*watching a new episode of the simpsons*

Stupid TV. Be more funny

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Earwicker posted:

they used to frequently run old Tracy Ullman episodes on Nickelodeon or Comedy Central or one of those cable channels back around that time

It was Comedy Central in the mid-90s. I remember because the ads were just a scene of Tracy Ullman screaming song lyrics and I wondered why anyone would want to watch that as I fast-fowarded through the commercials to get back to the MST3K I had taped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It was Comedy Central in the mid-90s. I remember because the ads were just a scene of Tracy Ullman screaming song lyrics and I wondered why anyone would want to watch that as I fast-fowarded through the commercials to get back to the MST3K I had taped.

Fox was a very different channel in the 80's. Remember it also spawned COPS

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm a pessimist. I don't think the Simpsons has hit it's lowest point yet. I think it can get lower.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
marge's accidental boob job

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm a pessimist. I don't think the Simpsons has hit it's lowest point yet. I think it can get lower.

Marge's accidental orgy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Have Marge and homer been swingers yet I wouldn't be surprised

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I just watched some season 26 and it has actually gotten better since I last stopped watching (around season 13 or 14). It's certainly not good, but now it's sort of watchably bad rather than the aggressively terrible that it had been. There is some entertainment to be had just from seeing them make modern references.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moon Atari posted:

I just watched some season 26 and it has actually gotten better since I last stopped watching (around season 13 or 14). It's certainly not good, but now it's sort of watchably bad rather than the aggressively terrible that it had been. There is some entertainment to be had just from seeing them make modern references.

:frogout:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pretty sure he's trying to trick us

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah don't try it. I watched some of this most recent season and it's still very dire. Do not engage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When Marge got jacked and then raped Homer. And the Family Guy ripoff episode of it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Strong Marge and Implants Marge are cornerstone episodes.

I remember them fondly.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i thought vore marge and then futa marge was going to far

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
That tennis episode is creepy and weird.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Jose posted:

Have Marge and homer been swingers yet I wouldn't be surprised

Yes, in the episode 500 Keys. They went to a "key party" and left after they realized what it was.

they should NEVER have brought back the talking overdone turkey.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Vore Marge had one good joke though - I still randomly quote the bit thats like "I'm pretty sure that's Homer Simpson in the oven, rotating slowly"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i think there are enough simpsons quotes to criticise or make fun of anyone who admits to liking new episodes. i've already used the easiest though

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Simpsons recovery involves them aging the characters and setting and everyone would hate that.

I know I'm repeating myself, but aging itself maybe isn't needed, but just a massive one-time modernization of everyone. It's a show that's approaching 30 years on the air and everything from the designs to attitudes feel like they haven't kept up with modern culture.

Sure, the argument has been made that the Simpons has always been sort of a satire of the 50s-80s family sitcom style, so there's no need to change it, but now the Simpsons itself is sort of in the same boat of the things it was parodying. It's trying to be modern and hip, but it feels held back by the standard it set for itself 30 years ago.

I've brought this up before, but starting (or restarting) the Simpsons in different years would have probably resulted in a much different show. It's sort of harder for folks to accept Homer as an idiot working at a highly-skilled job in the power plant today so he'd have to have some less prestigious and well-paying job. Marge would likely have been the only member of the family with a college degree and maybe she would be the member of the family with a job that kept them all afloat. Lisa would be really popular and accepted by peers and teachers because geek is the new cool and maybe one of the only ways you could paint her as an outcast would be if the family were of a lower-status than the rest of her classmates. Flanders would be presented as a character who deserved the abuse getting put on him by Homer because he was a very Christian character with extremely conservative attitudes.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 24, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Vore Marge had one good joke though - I still randomly quote the bit thats like "I'm pretty sure that's Homer Simpson in the oven, rotating slowly"

I don't know what vore is but Homer Badman is a p good episode if that's what you're talking about.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I know I'm repeating myself, but aging itself maybe isn't needed, but just a massive one-time modernization of everyone. It's a show that's approaching 30 years on the air and everything from the designs to attitudes feel like they haven't kept up with modern culture.

Sure, the argument has been made that the Simpons has always been sort of a satire of the 50s-80s family sitcom style, so there's no need to change it, but now the Simpsons itself is sort of in the same boat of the things it was parodying. It's trying to be modern and hip, but it feels held back by the standard it set for itself 30 years ago.

I've brought this up before, but starting (or restarting) the Simpsons in different years would have probably resulted in a much different show. It's sort of harder for folks to accept Homer as an idiot working at a highly-skilled job in the power plant today so he'd have to have some less prestigious and well-paying job. Marge would likely have been the only member of the family with a college degree and maybe she would be the member of the family with a job that kept them all afloat. Lisa would be really popular and accepted by peers and teachers because geek is the new cool and maybe one of the only ways you could paint her as an outcast would be if the family were of a lower-status than the rest of her classmates. Flanders would be presented as a character who deserved the abuse getting put on him by Homer because he was a very Christian character with extremely conservative attitudes.

I'm pretty sure the show is 100% just coasting on nostalgia and brand recognition these days and while your experiment is intriguing (and I'd watch it), I'm pretty sure a this late-in-the-game reboot would basically be the death knell to the show, kind of like when Roseanne won the lottery.

Though, I don't know, maybe if it went off the air for a while and came back with some fresh energy as a revival, like the X-Files or Twin Peaks.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I hit it out of the park with that vore joke double play and it was loving wasted on a topic that doesn't know what it is.

edit: Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't just temporarily stopped the show and got going after a year or so to get that cheap reboot spike. But when I think about it, maybe it really is just coasting on momentum, like they're worried if they stop at all they'll never get back up to where they are now

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Could the movie have been a big send off to the original Simpons formula? It would have been about 20 years after the start of the series, so when you came back in the fall you'd maybe be able to just have a whole new direction post-film and maybe people would be a little more free to accept it at that point.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Asking for a Simpsons reboot is like asking for a Flintstones reboot

sure they could do it, but whats the point? the Simpsons of the 90s is dead and long gone and will never come back

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiberius Christ posted:

Asking for a Simpsons reboot is like asking for a Flintstones reboot

sure they could do it, but whats the point? the Simpsons of the 90s is dead and long gone and will never come back

Basically. All we can hope for is something new that fills that hole

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

JediTalentAgent posted:

And it's a weird/bad idea every time you repeat it. Good writing is timeless and doesn't require modern or updated settings or gimmick reboots. Sitcoms exist best in a generic setting. The good ones from previous decades hold up perfectly well because good funny writing is universal. Everyone having smartphones and Maggie being in kindergarten and isn't fixing the poo poo lazy writing of a show that's gone longer than any other.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Cobweb Heart posted:

edit: Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't just temporarily stopped the show and got going after a year or so to get that cheap reboot spike. But when I think about it, maybe it really is just coasting on momentum, like they're worried if they stop at all they'll never get back up to where they are now

well, where they are now is the lowest point so they don't have much to lose.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm talking less about aging the characters or giving everyone smartphones, though, and more of something akin to a soft reboot to sort of modernize the a lot of things as a whole at one time. Even something like comic books will do a number of soft reboots every 4-8 years when you get a new creative team, a new direction, new costumes, etc.

Maybe 30 years is too long to run the formula and do anything new without resorting to celebrities guest stars, trips all over the world, etc. Maybe we need to think about some big changing of the status quo at one time to give everyone a fresh start, make the reboot a way to reinvigorate some interest, give people a chance to tell some new stories.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Reboot it to be an even more deliberate period piece set in the late 80s so it's easier to remember classic simpsons and happier times.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Reboot aside, you still have the problem of the deteriorating, no-poo poo-giving voice cast

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't stream the Simpsons so idk which were good and which were bad.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Reboot aside, you still have the problem of the deteriorating, no-poo poo-giving voice cast

The Simpsons is so shameless and essentially a horrific lurching corpse at this point that I'd guess they'd have no issue with finding soundalikes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Though, I don't know, maybe if it went off the air for a while and came back with some fresh energy as a revival, like the X-Files or Twin Peaks.

The X Files revival was the saddest, wettest fart and was the exact opposite of 'fresh energy'

Twin peaks is loving awesome but you need to be a big fan of the original and the movie to enjoy it

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Last Chance posted:

The Simpsons is so shameless and essentially a horrific lurching corpse at this point that I'd guess they'd have no issue with finding soundalikes.

I'm sure they wouldn't actually gamble on people not noticing the diddly-ifference but the VAs they have are irreplaceable. Not just in terms of viewer acceptance, people who can act funny and sound like the characters just only come in ones. (Don't ever) look up Simpsons impressions on youtube, even the best ones suck poo poo

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I dunno, Ted Cruz did some pretty great impressions of his favorite tv family the stimsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Riptor posted:

I dunno, Ted Cruz did some pretty great impressions of his favorite tv family the stimsons

I could have gone the rest of my life without remembering this