Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gooncon: Summer with Flavor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

Wait, we can reserve early rooms as government employees. Whaaaaat?
Yeah, what is all this about?! Not that I am a government employee or anything... Ahem. But maybe you mean Indiana government? All I know is, I did indeed book my room already for next year, I think the Tuesday before Gen Con was when I was reminded that next year's convention is two weeks earlier, and I grabbed the Hilton downtown before it sold out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There's a certain number of rooms at each hotel earmarked for government employees (I'm actually a fed contractor, but it still worked). $125/night for the Hyatt this past con. :rip:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
The closest I will come to knowing a celebrity is my friendship with Dr. Quarex, auction superstar.

In Gen-Con related news, my haul arrived today. I ended up scoring a copy of Demon: The Descent for $40, a bunch of Fantasy Flight Games books, the Burning Wheel Codex, a cheap set of Mage: The Awakening Tarot cards, and Millenium Blades. Also picked up a copy of Cutthroat Kingdoms and Catan for a friend. All in all a very good year, I had an excellent time and remembered it is the greatest year ever so instead of not going ever again I am definitely going next year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Quarex: reminder that you need to upload hobocon so we can organize a group viewing

I would upload the dungeons and dragons cartoons I won in the auction, but it appears someone already has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaJZpoC2_34

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Did anyone see The Witcher roleplaying game, did it look any good?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

LLSix posted:

Just got back from my first Gen Con and I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. I had a hard time finding enough activities to stay busy. It felt like the whole place closed down much earlier than other cons and opened back up later in the morning. We were planning on staying the night this Sunday too, but when it came to it, neither of us could think of a reason to so we headed out when things started closing down at 4.

If I ever go back, I definitely won't be doing anyone's quests. Spent a lot of time helping my wife collect ribbons for Mayfair's 10-ribbons-to-get-a-discount thing. It felt a lot more like an attempt to keep people away from the rest of the con than to encourage me to try their games by the time we got the last ones.

The best part of the con for me was visiting the smaller game makers and smaller booths and getting to try out games that I otherwise would never have seen a review for or known to go looking for. We even learned that my wife likes head-to-head games by stumbling into the Hero Realms part of the vendor hall.

We did stop by the auction room for a little under an hour. Didn't see anything we wanted, but the auctioneers were pretty entertaining.

I've been to 5 of these things, and for me it has always been about talking to designers who are passionate about what they do. So, while you find this sometimes with big companies, most often it's the small guys--though big shout out to White Wolf guys this year, I had some awesome conversations with them.

I think I've actually played games with other people maybe 4 times in 5 years, and even those were in a "press" capacity--having a press badge really helps me with those above conversations.

That being said, there always seems to be events and poo poo going on, some of which you obviously need to have generic tickets for, at all hours of the night. I'm honestly surprised that if hanging out and playing games with random people was your thing, that you and your wife had trouble.

Granted, since I now live in this god forsaken town, I spent virtually no time downtown after hours this year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As some of you know, I ran two instances of a Paranoia game that was a recreation of the Tomb of Horrors module. This is my After Action Report:

The first game had a full showing, and managed to get through the entire 'dungeon', but there were definitely areas I could have improved on. Part of it was I was still rattled from losing my entire dice bag, but the biggest thing was that keeping all my notes and handouts organized turned out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. When I did my second adventure I was a lot better in this area. My other self-criticism of the first game is that while it didn't take long for the players to galvanize into warring factions, they pretty much stuck to this initial alliance, which was disappointing.

For the second game, I made some modifications to what handouts were handed out, and it produced the effect I wanted. While it took longer for troubleshooter-on-troubleshooter violence to get started, when it did it felt much more earned and chaotic. However, despite having a smaller group, the second game only got half-way through the dungeon by the time we hit the four-hour mark. So no one was sad when I just said "okay, Sealab-I mean Alpha Complex just blows up" so we could all hang out with goons pretending to be the Trump Administration get some sleep.

In both games, I accidentally handed a player the wrong hand out, and in both cases I decided to roll with it. The first game had the more hilarious consequence, with the Troubleshooter murdering the NPC he was supposed to protect.

Ultimately, Paranoia and Tomb of Horrors (or any classic module, really) go together like...well, like bourbon and pop-rocks. It's a fuckin' trip to consume it, but it's going to wreck your body and leave you exhausted. The problem is trying to manage all the various traps and note passing at the same time. If I had a vice-GM that was doing all the secret poo poo, or if I was doing this over pbp, it would probably work a lot better.

In fact, I think I'm going to recruit for a game right now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

For the second game, I made some modifications to what handouts were handed out, and it produced the effect I wanted. While it took longer for troubleshooter-on-troubleshooter violence to get started, when it did it felt much more earned and chaotic. However, despite having a smaller group, the second game only got half-way through the dungeon by the time we hit the four-hour mark. So no one was sad when I just said "okay, Sealab-I mean Alpha Complex just blows up" so we could all hang out with goons pretending to be the Trump Administration get some sleep.

It's always a risk when doing con games that you run out of time, but my pro tip for that would be to first keep an eye on the clock as you run stuff, after every "chunk" of your adventure, then secondly I recommend trying to structure your adventures so that its easy to swap stuff around and bring your narrative ending closer to hand. So for example, in my game, the Infernal Bone Machine, its separated into roughly 5 areas, but any one of them could trigger the End Game if I needed to. That's also including 2 separate areas that players may not even ever see (Theres a bit at the end where players have to contain a big ball of magic, and the adventure as written has them then go INTO the ball and fight the big bad in there, but no on ever did that, we just wrapped at the ball).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

After being in a couple of adventures, I kind of want to run one or two next time I go to a Con. How do you go about doing that?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Its pretty easy, when the event registration opens up, go to the GM/EO Dashboard and click "Submit event". Fill out the form, then wait for it to be approved

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moriatti posted:

After being in a couple of adventures, I kind of want to run one or two next time I go to a Con. How do you go about doing that?
They'll announce open event submission after con registration goes live. If you want to run events, you'll submit them through the system starting in March, I think. The cutoff is early May, after which they'll hammer all of that crap into a schedule and event registration goes live (so people can sign up for your events). It's kind of a crap-shoot in that you can request certain day/time slots, but I don't think they're under any obligation to honor them. When I ran events two years ago, I got more or less what I requested (two on Friday, one on Saturday I think). All of my events got put in the JW, which was fine by me.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I did it this year and got exactly the times I entered when creating the event. That said, I'm not exactly sure how time/rooms are assigned in the bowels of the event schedule.

Also, check if the company who publishes the game is organizing events at the con. Many companies put out a call for GMs starting in February or March and they almost always need more people demoing them. They may reward you for running their game - ArcDream gives booth credit and goodies to hand out, Pelgrane does T-shirts and maybe something else, and Posthuman Studios pays their GMs. However, if you are running the event as a company associated one, you should get in touch with their organizer first. Often they'll even create the event for you, though you may not have as much control over the time in that case.

For myself, I ran a Delta Green event for ArcDream this year and had a blast with it. (Hopefully my players did as well, since I killed all their characters.) It was a breeze on my end and I got a Delta Green raid jacket for free as a result. I would absolutely do it again.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sionak posted:

I did it this year and got exactly the times I entered when creating the event. That said, I'm not exactly sure how time/rooms are assigned in the bowels of the event schedule.

Also, check if the company who publishes the game is organizing events at the con. Many companies put out a call for GMs starting in February or March and they almost always need more people demoing them. They may reward you for running their game - ArcDream gives booth credit and goodies to hand out, Pelgrane does T-shirts and maybe something else, and Posthuman Studios pays their GMs. However, if you are running the event as a company associated one, you should get in touch with their organizer first. Often they'll even create the event for you, though you may not have as much control over the time in that case.

For myself, I ran a Delta Green event for ArcDream this year and had a blast with it. (Hopefully my players did as well, since I killed all their characters.) It was a breeze on my end and I got a Delta Green raid jacket for free as a result. I would absolutely do it again.

Pelgrane gives GM's $5 booth credit for running and $1 both credit for each of the players. You can't spend more than $5 in coupons at the booth though so I don't know if you get more for running multiple games, I only ran 1.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 24, 2017

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Another great Gen Con! Didn't get as much as I usually do, and it almost all went to RPGs this year. Picked up some Sentinels expansions and the Gloomhaven Broken Token kit, but most of my other friends bought the games I was interested in so I'll just leach off of them. I wanted to snag Vast after having a great demo of it with the artist and his wife, but it was $18 cheaper on Amazon and that was too much of a discount to ignore.

This was my first time going with more than just one friend, and I was nervous about how it'd all work out, but we had a good balance of doing group things and separating. Played a ton of Pathfinder ACG (as always) and tried out Starfinder. I originally was ready to drop down a lot of money on Starfinder, but the event we played was pretty lackluster and it selling out on day 1 left a bad taste in my mouth. Ended up doing a demo of 7th Sea, as well, and falling in love with it so my group and I decided to jump into that.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Apparently Tom Vasal was furious at Alan Moon because he told the dam fish joke at the Dice Tower panel and there is swearing so Vasal thought it was inappropriate. Basically gently caress Tom Vasal.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Agrias120 posted:

This was my first time going with more than just one friend, and I was nervous about how it'd all work out, but we had a good balance of doing group things and separating. Played a ton of Pathfinder ACG (as always) and tried out Starfinder. I originally was ready to drop down a lot of money on Starfinder, but the event we played was pretty lackluster and it selling out on day 1 left a bad taste in my mouth. Ended up doing a demo of 7th Sea, as well, and falling in love with it so my group and I decided to jump into that.

7th Sea is fun! I've got some issues with the second edition rules and my group is all aboard Apocalypse World lately but I'm hoping we'll get back to it someday. I leafed through the two new books and thought the Sorte deck was great.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rad Valtar posted:

Apparently Tom Vasal was furious at Alan Moon because he told the dam fish joke at the Dice Tower panel and there is swearing so Vasal thought it was inappropriate. Basically gently caress Tom Vasal.
After looking up the joke, I bet the fact that the straight man character is a priest is also part of why a humorless self-righteous Jesum would be angry about it.

Though for the record I would never swear that casually in an actual event at an overtly family-friendly convention. So for as much as Tom Basalt... Tom Basalt... Dammit phone. For as much as he can choke on his high horse, he is certainly within his rights to be upset at his dude. Unless that was an adult event in which case yet again go to h*ck Tom.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Agrias120 posted:

I originally was ready to drop down a lot of money on Starfinder, but the event we played was pretty lackluster and it selling out on day 1 left a bad taste in my mouth.

Fragged Empire is the better choice there, I think, having gotten a look at Starfinger. I actually ran across some of the adventures in the auction store, and got the archives at IGDN, so I finally have a set of the main books and I'm pretty happy about it!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

A Phil Foglio joint.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CaptainRat posted:

A Phil Foglio joint.

Would've made for some more interesting hall banners, at the very least!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

CaptainRat posted:

A Phil Foglio joint.

Great now i see phil foglio art in my brain

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Vasal is a pretty conservative evangelical Christian for those not too familiar with him. He's not a Mike Pence type, as far as I know, who thinks The Handmaid's Tale is a winning plan for America but he's practically Ned Flanders.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

After looking up the joke, I bet the fact that the straight man character is a priest is also part of why a humorless self-righteous Jesum would be angry about it.

Though for the record I would never swear that casually in an actual event at an overtly family-friendly convention. So for as much as Tom Basalt... Tom Basalt... Dammit phone. For as much as he can choke on his high horse, he is certainly within his rights to be upset at his dude. Unless that was an adult event in which case yet again go to h*ck Tom.

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fragged Empire is the better choice there, I think, having gotten a look at Starfinger. I actually ran across some of the adventures in the auction store, and got the archives at IGDN, so I finally have a set of the main books and I'm pretty happy about it!

Yeah, that's how I felt walking away, too. I backed the recent Fragged Kickstarter to get Fantasy/Aeternum/etc, and I wanted to snag the core book while I was at Gen Con if possible. I didn't realize the base setting was actually sci-fi themed until I picked it up to look at it, though, so it was a double win for me. Between this, 7th Sea, and a couple of systems our group's switch-hitter DM picked up, we might be moving off Pathfinder for good.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deviant posted:

Counterpoint: Tom Vasel is a homophobic dickweasel and can choke on his own vomit.
I think these beliefs can coexist nicely.

Vote Dickweasel '20

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Deviant posted:

Harsh, but fair and accurate

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

What's the details on this? I don't doubt it but I want to know for my own information and piece of mind.

I casually follow him in as much as he's someone I know about, watched some videos he made, and am aware that he yelled at one of his kids in a video once to shut a door with the voice of a child abuser. I've also attended his convention twice but it's mostly just playing board games in a ballroom and getting games from Coolstuff and the flea market at a greater discount.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Deviant posted:

Additional Point: He also has bad taste, or more precisely, bad standards in what makes a game good. Just ask the board gaming thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex's avatar isn't a joke.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What's the details on this? I don't doubt it but I want to know for my own information and piece of mind.

I have watched him say homophobic things to my gay friend and then leave when pressed to defend his lovely stance.

May he be found with a rentboy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

I have watched him say homophobic things to my gay friend and then leave when pressed to defend his lovely stance.

May he be found with a rentboy.

Good enough for me.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

I'm only now seeing this thread, and I wish I knew about it while I was there! Regardless, I also had a good first Gen Con. My con peaked early, seeing TMBG play live and meeting some very cool folk. Otherwise, I really enjoyed learning a few LCG games, and Total Recall was a fun demo. Played in a pretty weird pick up DnD game too, so I'll definitely be more planned next con I go to.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I disagree on Total Recall, i found it dull and it didn't bring anything new to the hidden identity formula.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I want to do more events but planning with my poo poo head friends always leaves me wasting like 25 bucks in tickets every year.

Edit: it's not really their fault, I just need to be better about doing poo poo my own.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
tom vasel is also at least in some proximity to the quiverfull movement which is basically sharia for evangelicals

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Belatedly, the one cool thing I forgot to list as part of my GenCon moments was the "Ancient Sisterhood of Gaming History" panel, which mainly had a bunch of ex-WotC female employees (including Lisa Stevens) and Nicole Lindroos telling their stories about getting involved in the TG industry. Lindroos telling stories about how they had Vampire laid out, and then the somewhat-dyslexic Rein-Hagen adding stuff at the last minute which required a last-minute panic edit and re-layout explains a lot how things tended to go down at early White Wolf. And about her leaving when she was essentially cut out of stock in the company. Lisa Stevens' story of basically going without pay for a time the first time she had to fire staff at Paizo felt really admirable at first (if she had to fire anybody, she'd felt like she'd failed) and now as I think about it explains a lot about some dysfunctions at Paizo, too...

It was pretty good and easily overlooked. I know they had a lot of the Retrospective panels filmed so hopefully it should be available to a wider audience at some point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This man is/was a youth pastor. :thunk:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It was pretty good and easily overlooked. I know they had a lot of the Retrospective panels filmed so hopefully it should be available to a wider audience at some point.

Any idea where they post the panel videos? I'd love to watch some. I need to make it a point to go to some next year.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

[Any idea where they post the panel videos? I'd love to watch some. I need to make it a point to go to some next year.

If they've been posted anywhere, I'm not aware of it. The only official video stuff I've been able to find is on their facebook page, and that's pretty sparse.

I don't know whether or not they'll be publicly available, but I sure hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The retrospective panel videos are planned to go up but I don't know where or when yet. Peter Adkison is editing them all, they had multiple cameras at each of them so I am not sure how they are going to end up exactly.

• Locked thread