Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'm the plan to put everyone in cryosleep instead of leaving one guy awake during the relatively brief storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

It would be nice, but if you've been paying attention to the quality of Blizzard's writing for the past thirty years you'd be a fool to expect anything more than a tweet bit of cliched fluff.

Bastion short was fine.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Looking forward to the Bastion short sequel of Bastion refusing to go to bed and all of Torb's other kids decide they can refuse too and Ganymede is making nests in the wardrobe and everything is just a mess!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
<post about how Hanzo and his scatter arrow are by far the most infuriating thing in the game>

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

Bastion short was fine.

Fine is exactly the word. It's probably the best they've done and I still wouldn't call it better than functional on a writing level. But at least it shows some potential to improve, as Bastion, Somba, and now Mei's shorts have been considerably better than the dreck that came before them.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Been seeing a lot of McCree at my current rank. Think people have figured out McCree shits on Doomfist.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want a Lucio short because I need to know how the rollerblading DJ got involved with Overwatch lol

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

I want a Lucio short because I need to know how the rollerblading DJ got involved with Overwatch lol
A bunch of evil omnics malfunctioned and exploded 'cause they just couldn't handle his awesome beats. After that, Overwatch took him on every drop.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Ehud posted:

he kaep

for real though I do like that he was important in an uprising against Vishkar, that was cool

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Fine is exactly the word. It's probably the best they've done and I still wouldn't call it better than functional on a writing level. But at least it shows some potential to improve, as Bastion, Somba, and now Mei's shorts have been considerably better than the dreck that came before them.

Mei's short is literally the worst one lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I enjoyed it. I already liked Mei's character though, so I'm biased. Seeing her origin at Ecopoint: Antarctica was fun. I'll agree the voice acting in all the OW shorts could be better, but they're serviceable enough imo. From a technical/visual standpoint, I thought this one was by far the best. I particularly enjoyed the time-lapse of Mei building out the freeze gun, and the shot of her looking up at the polar lights.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

teagone posted:

I'll agree the voice acting in all the OW shorts could be better, but they're serviceable enough imo. From a technical/visual standpoint, I thought this one was by far the best.
They really need to stop recycling in-game dialogue and grunts/screams, that made the entire thing feel Asylum Pictures tier to me. I could forgive it when it's just a new map preview (... like in Junkertown: The Plan: The Better Short Released This Week), but this is something that they teased for a while as the stinger to the whole weekend.

In summary: if you're gonna hype something, make sure it's A-game and not streetball.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOG_fo92HV0

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

:chaostrump:

The dreamiest pro-click

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

Been seeing a lot of McCree at my current rank. Think people have figured out McCree shits on Doomfist.

Down here in high gold tier I'm seeing a lot of McCree too. I think its Doomfist and his ult buff that really spiked him. Seen way more game changing High Noons than I was used to..

Doomfist still fun to play even if there is a Cowboy walking around.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It may be somewhat reasonable and fully expected but it's a drat shame there ain't a dick spray in overwatch.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Off-meta characters should get dick sprays as incentive for players to pick them up.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

It may be somewhat reasonable and fully expected but it's a drat shame there ain't a dick spray in overwatch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah and junkrat has several

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Mei short was really good, just like all the other Overwatch shorts, and indeed, this game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It was actually terrible and I felt nothing while watching it. I cared more about bastion having PTSD than I did about a genius scientist forgetting that she needed power, or acting like a loving robot is dead because it had to charge its battery.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Maybe you should consider going out for a nice walk, or telling somebody you love them today. :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh i'm perfectly happy, i'm a young dude who's actually bought property and I live with my wonderful girlfriend and soon to be wife (as soon as I can afford the weddind). I'm about to get a new job with a company paying me a ton more money thats literally a 10 minute walk down the road from where I live and i'm very happy with life in general.

The short was just poo poo, dude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's great news and I am happy for you, much as I was happy for Mei at the conclusion of this sweet and entertaining short, "Rise and Shine."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Feel like we're gonna have to concede that we have different tastes, which is fair enough! :)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ehud posted:

Voice of the rebellion. personality popular enough to inspire people to join or if not join support or if not support at least not rat them out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I just totally realized that Lucioball is the future sport that Lucio got his gear from, and presumably the sport itself is real and in universe. So Lucio's the equivalent of a dude with a cricket bat.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The short was good actually

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

Nessus posted:

I just totally realized that Lucioball is the future sport that Lucio got his gear from, and presumably the sport itself is real and in universe. So Lucio's the equivalent of a dude with a cricket bat.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Been thinking on this for a while and I'd like to see an arcade mode that just has all the characters reverted to their launch states. Be curious to see how something like that would play out.

Edit: Except for a couple charcters who needed some quality of life changes i.e.: Zenyatta and D.Va.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Nessus posted:

I think officially his gun is like a weird pirate radio thing from him and symmetra beating each other up in the favelas and lucioball isn't canon.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Perhaps a silly question, but as someone who's been playing for just a few months and has 4k credits to their name, is buying cheap stuff (ex: voice lines) in conjunction with the loot box changes, actually a good idea? I was thinking clearing out a ton of voice lines would then improve my chances at better stuff if duplicates are in fact decreased in drop %.

Or is there a particular to the loot system that would make doing it a bad idea / useless, such as just seeing an increase in currency?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if i understand the new system correctly collecting all the drops of a color won't improve your chances of getting better colors, it's just that from that point on is when you start seeing duplicates. so that 3 greys and a blue box will still be 3 greys and a blue, you'll just get cash from the duplicates instead.

so technically you'll see an increase in the amount of better stuff you can get by virtue of being able to collect blizzbux more quickly? but the lootboxes themselves won't have an improved drop rate.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Cowcaster is correct.

I don't know yet whether having every vanilla item will make 100% event commons drop until you have them all. I'd assume not tbh, I assume that rarity and event vs non-event is determined, then the specific item.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Perhaps a silly question, but as someone who's been playing for just a few months and has 4k credits to their name, is buying cheap stuff (ex: voice lines) in conjunction with the loot box changes, actually a good idea? I was thinking clearing out a ton of voice lines would then improve my chances at better stuff if duplicates are in fact decreased in drop %.

Or is there a particular to the loot system that would make doing it a bad idea / useless, such as just seeing an increase in currency?

Seems like the system has 2, sometimes 3 steps for each loot box item:
1 (optional). Roll if it's a seasonal item
2. Roll rarity
3. Roll from the list of eligible items to get the result

This is done when you earn/purchase a loot box, not when you open it.

Only seasonal loot boxes do 1 (and at least one item from the seasonal boxes is guaranteed to be seasonal). The eligible list then is composed of every item of that rarity and season (or not season) that you do not have; if the eligible list is empty, instead the eligible list just has every item of that rarity and season.

tl;dr rarity rolled separately means there isn't a benefit to going on a cheap-stuff buying spree

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Well I liked the Mei cinematic anyways.

I've been playing a ton of Mcree in Mayhem since Doomfist is so broken there. He can juggle people nonstop to the point where they can't even do anything about it. Sombra is pretty good too if you can hide and hack him. If he goes after her though it's all over.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

I assume that rarity and event vs non-event is determined, then the specific item.

This is also correct, I started getting white event duplicates while still getting new non-event whites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

No Wave posted:

Cowcaster is correct.

I don't know yet whether having every vanilla item will make 100% event commons drop until you have them all. I'd assume not tbh, I assume that rarity and event vs non-event is determined, then the specific item.

I think it increases the chances by a lot. Muselk opened like 100 boxes as per usual, and since he already has basically nearly every item, the first 10 or so boxes were 4x event item.