Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Conversely, some people believe that O.J Simpson's 33 year sentence for Armed Robbery was because he got away with murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It absolutely was, that robbery is not a 33 year crime.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

if the bundys were black they would be dead long ago

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hope when trump gets arrested all the walmart militias turn out and get hellfires shoved up their asses by drones

i lust for hick death

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nm posted:

Please tell me, in all your jury trial experience how you'd achieve "Aggressive punishment of attorneys who go for it. The judge probably should've declared a mistrial and gone for punitive measures the instant it was clear the defense attorneys were shooting for this. This time around they were practically taking a sovcit stance." without actively hindering the ability to put on a defense.
Appealing to sympathies is pretty important to defending someone accused of committing a crime. The overwhelming bias of jurors against the average defendant just because his is sitting at that defense table is powerful, particularly if he is a minority. If you open the door to allowing the judge, who quite frankly is 9/10 pro-prosecution, to shut all that down because you're seeming a little to nullifcationy, that's not going to mostly hurt a few rednecks with guns, but poor, black and Hispanic defendants who the middle class white people that serve on juries see no reason to give the benefit of the doubt to.

I get it, you're pissed that a bunch of assholes got off, but unless you're willing to propose a system that will prevent this type of situation better than teaching prosecutors how to pick a loving jury (they tend to be really bad at it) without limiting the ability of a defense attorney to humanize his client, I'm all ears. Massive, sweeping changes to the criminal justice system because people are angry about some crime have worked so well in the past. See: Three strikes, California's Proposition 8 (truth in evidence), any law named after a dead person, sex registration, etc.

edit:
I see you made some edits, so lets just latch on to one

So if you ban defense attorneys from bringing up conspiracy theories, how do they address:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/us/baltimore-police-video-bodycam.html?mcubz=3
http://ktla.com/2017/08/18/mass-sho...ormant-scandal/
etc
Now the above are cases where someone did the right thing before the case went to jury, but these types of cases go to jury trial as often as they get dismissed or otherwise dealt with properly. When it comes to police misconduct, it often is a conspiracy theory that sometimes turns out to be true. Where do you set the line where a defendant can bring that up? The fact is that you don't have much more than some circumstantial evidence to weave into an argument because your client is some meth head who got his head beat in, and you're against a well funded and trained organization that finally learned not to write incriminating poo poo down. So when is it a conspiracy theory and when is it a valid defense? And who gets to decide? The judge who was probably a prosecutor and also wants to go play golf?
Oh and if you're going to argue an appeals court can fix it, let me introduce you to the term "harmless error" which excuses all but the most grave mistakes as long as it looks like the defendant did it.

----
Let me b clear that I'm not happy that these people are walking. However, I'm not willing to change the legal system in a way that makes convicting people easier. It is already generally way to easy to convict people. I would support the AUSAs getting some jury selection training -- you would be amazed what someone actually good at jury selection can do. There is a reason why defense attorneys focus on jury selection the most of all while for some reason prosecutors keep focusing on their closings. At that point, you've already won or lost.

Dv is a failed lawyer sont bother arguing with him

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Conversely, some people believe that O.J Simpson's 33 year sentence for Armed Robbery was because he got away with murder.

That is definitely why he ate that sentence tho

coathat
May 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I hope when trump gets arrested all the walmart militias turn out and get hellfires shoved up their asses by drones

i lust for hick death

You're hosed in the head

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

nm posted:

Let me b clear that I'm not happy that these people are walking. However, I'm not willing to change the legal system in a way that makes convicting people easier. It is already generally way to easy to convict people. I would support the AUSAs getting some jury selection training -- you would be amazed what someone actually good at jury selection can do. There is a reason why defense attorneys focus on jury selection the most of all while for some reason prosecutors keep focusing on their closings. At that point, you've already won or lost.

Your detailed explanations are appreciated. However jury selection seems to be a bit of a black art and saying the AUSAs should have just voir dired + jedi mind tricked harder isn't very satisfying for non-lawyers trying to understand this verdict. To turn the question around, in the event of a mistrial how can we know that the prosecutors didn't follow all the best jury selection practices? How do we know when they did a reasonable job and it just turns out the jury pool is very biased against conviction on this issue?

Also geez, everything I read about jury selection makes it seem like pools are overwhelmingly dominated by people who don't want to be on the jury, should not be the jury, or are trying their best to hide that they desperately want to be on the jury so they can convict/nullify. I don't envy trial attorneys having to sift through all that to find the mythical unbiased non-news reader who also doesn't mind having their life+job disrupted to sit on a jury.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lol if you think there will be even a quantum of consequence for Klavern Bundy in this amazing new tiny train world we live in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

coathat posted:

You're hosed in the head

Hick death is cool and good

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm very much not a lawyer, and I'm only 50% sure I understand the arguments above... but why do we have/need jury nullification to start with? Do other countries have problems with jury nullification?

(apologies for anything not clear, I'm insomniposting)

You've been answered, but for other countries: Yes we do, even the ones that don't in essence have juries. I mean, my country still does, but it's being replaced by a smaller panel of lay judges. One of the reasonings behind this choice is the problem of they jury (or as we call them "lagrette") doesn't give a reason for its decisions.

There are a couple of problems with this. One huge one is that there's no way to examine in retrospect whether or not that decision was flawed or based on flawed assumptions, understanding or just stupidity or maliciousness. It's impossible to vet after the fact, which is something we need to have for all types of trials (in essence) due to actual codified human rights (ECHR as an example). It's also a problem in and of itself that a jury verdict gives no reasons - being given a reason for a verdict is a right just by itself.

An important example of the importance of this comes up actually somewhat frequently in the lower courts, where court is set with a judge (an actual jurist) and two lay judges. The lay judges aquit, but are compelled to state their reasoning in doing so, and oh boy - from a couple of rape cases: "Dude was a christian, must have been a swell guy" "she looked at them flirtingly (gang rape)" "they didn't understand that she was in no condition to consent, even though she was obviously unconcious".

At that point, you're not looking a any kind if jurisprudential guarantee but rather a jurisprudential liability. The actual judge in those case obviously wrote a scathing dissention, but he is and can be overruled by the lay judges. It's effectively the same as jury nullification as I understand it.

We do also have a rule of jury nullification nullification, where if the jury is stupid enough the judge can go "gently caress you guys, you are morons, and here's why - I'll loving prove it mathematically" but this alone is almost perfect grounds for appeal so it's almost never done, and also limited to specific cases.

There's no good or easy answer. We have one of the best legal systems in the world by objective metrics, but in my own experience working for the prosecutor's office and as a defence attourney, judges are - as previously mention itt - often heavily biased in favour of the prosecution. This is true, and I've seen it from both sides. So you need a way to counteract that, because a lot of criminal law especially is a lot of tough calls about lying and the facts and missteps are very very costly. It's not a perfect system, in fact it's deeply flawed, but that's also due to never having the perfect facts in any given case. We have to do our best, and juries and lay judges are probably going to be our best way of doing that for a while still.

Jury selection is some bullshit though, that's all on you americans. We don't do that poo poo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

You've been answered, but for other countries: Yes we do, even the ones that don't in essence have juries. I mean, my country still does, but it's being replaced by a smaller panel of lay judges. One of the reasonings behind this choice is the problem of they jury (or as we call them "lagrette") doesn't give a reason for its decisions.

There are a couple of problems with this. One huge one is that there's no way to examine in retrospect whether or not that decision was flawed or based on flawed assumptions, understanding or just stupidity or maliciousness. It's impossible to vet after the fact, which is something we need to have for all types of trials (in essence) due to actual codified human rights (ECHR as an example). It's also a problem in and of itself that a jury verdict gives no reasons - being given a reason for a verdict is a right just by itself.

An important example of the importance of this comes up actually somewhat frequently in the lower courts, where court is set with a judge (an actual jurist) and two lay judges. The lay judges aquit, but are compelled to state their reasoning in doing so, and oh boy - from a couple of rape cases: "Dude was a christian, must have been a swell guy" "she looked at them flirtingly (gang rape)" "they didn't understand that she was in no condition to consent, even though she was obviously unconcious".

At that point, you're not looking a any kind if jurisprudential guarantee but rather a jurisprudential liability. The actual judge in those case obviously wrote a scathing dissention, but he is and can be overruled by the lay judges. It's effectively the same as jury nullification as I understand it.

We do also have a rule of jury nullification nullification, where if the jury is stupid enough the judge can go "gently caress you guys, you are morons, and here's why - I'll loving prove it mathematically" but this alone is almost perfect grounds for appeal so it's almost never done, and also limited to specific cases.

There's no good or easy answer. We have one of the best legal systems in the world by objective metrics, but in my own experience working for the prosecutor's office and as a defence attourney, judges are - as previously mention itt - often heavily biased in favour of the prosecution. This is true, and I've seen it from both sides. So you need a way to counteract that, because a lot of criminal law especially is a lot of tough calls about lying and the facts and missteps are very very costly. It's not a perfect system, in fact it's deeply flawed, but that's also due to never having the perfect facts in any given case. We have to do our best, and juries and lay judges are probably going to be our best way of doing that for a while still.

Jury selection is some bullshit though, that's all on you americans. We don't do that poo poo.

Thank you! This is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

nm posted:

I would not be shocked if the end result is that the feds don't focus so much one a peaceful resolution next time.

Actually Trump will just give them the land

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

corn in the bible posted:

Actually Trump's New Secretary of the Interior, Klavern Bundy, will just give them the land

Fixed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nocturtle posted:

Your detailed explanations are appreciated. However jury selection seems to be a bit of a black art and saying the AUSAs should have just voir dired + jedi mind tricked harder isn't very satisfying for non-lawyers trying to understand this verdict. To turn the question around, in the event of a mistrial how can we know that the prosecutors didn't follow all the best jury selection practices? How do we know when they did a reasonable job and it just turns out the jury pool is very biased against conviction on this issue?

Also geez, everything I read about jury selection makes it seem like pools are overwhelmingly dominated by people who don't want to be on the jury, should not be the jury, or are trying their best to hide that they desperately want to be on the jury so they can convict/nullify. I don't envy trial attorneys having to sift through all that to find the mythical unbiased non-news reader who also doesn't mind having their life+job disrupted to sit on a jury.

It is kind of black magic, but a big part of it is showmanship. The real art of jury selection is being able to preview your case to the jury (witgin fairly restrictive confines) and see who reacts positively to it. It is the type of thing that comes with experence, not cooercing people to plea to drug charges because they'll get 2000 years if they go to trial and lose.
And to be fair, sometimes the jury pool just sucks, but this seems to be happening enough that I'd lean more toward problems in selecting juries, particularly in selecting juries in cases involving people with problems with the federal government. The jury the prosecution wants for this type of case is almost a 180 from the type they want on say a drug charge.

To change the jury pool, you need to make being on a jury easier. The whole $7 a day thing is bullshit. Jurors should get paid what they make on a daily basis otherwise. Services like childcare and the like should be accounted for and maybe also provided. Notices should go out much sooner, it would be much easier to know 6 months to a year in advance to block out a week or two. The exchange should be much, much harder hardship kicks. Also, while judges always threaten that people with a hardship kick may be called again in the same year, we should make sure that actually happens.
I will be the first to admit that jurors who don't want to be there kind of suck, but they're still better than jaded, often elected, judges. The jury system kind of sucks, but it seems better than all the other systems that have been tried.

corn in the bible posted:

Actually Trump will just give them the land
I dunno, now it is trump's land.
Also, these losers don't actually want the land. If they did they'd have to pay taxes on it, maintain it, etc. They just want to use our land for free.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

coathat posted:

You're hosed in the head

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nm posted:

Please tell me, in all your jury trial experience how you'd achieve "Aggressive punishment of attorneys who go for it. The judge probably should've declared a mistrial and gone for punitive measures the instant it was clear the defense attorneys were shooting for this. This time around they were practically taking a sovcit stance." without actively hindering the ability to put on a defense.

It's often ambiguous, yes, but the way this trial went was remarkably clear-cut example. The defense didn't really attempt to argue that their client didn't commit the crime - they attempted to argue that if their client did commit the crime, they would have been justified in doing so. Something like that is pretty much irrelevant outside of nullification arguments, which is why the judge tried to prohibit the defense attorneys from making that argument. Unfortunately, the defense appears to have realized that the judge was trying to prevent nullification arguments, and purposely ran afoul of that to make it look like the government was being mean to them. That just shows the difficulty of policing human factors without any real checks or balances.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think I'm still confused about something basic. I understand that jury nullification is when the jury says the law is unjust so doesn't convict even though the evidence is there, right? So do we know it's jury nullification when a jury returns a not guilty verdict? Because they don't have to explain their decision, right?

To put it very simply, the purpose of a trial is to determine whether a thing happened. The prosecution charges that the defendant did X or Y, the defense denies it, then both the prosecution and defense present evidence and stories and arguments supporting their side of the story. Then the jury acts as ultimate fact-finder, evaluating what they saw in the trial and deciding whether or not the defendant did the things they were charged with beyond any reasonable doubt, while the judge advises them as a theoretically unbiased legal expert.

But what if the evidence is so blatant, so overwhelming, that no reasonable person would come to a "not guilty" verdict? For example, what if the FBI had been warned of the crime in advance by an informant, set up surveillance, and spent some time carefully documenting and monitoring the crime to gather evidence against the defendant before they moved in to make arrests? Or what if the entire crime was committed in front of a surveillance camera that clearly showed the defendants committing the crime? In that case, the defense might instead try to argue that the defendant's actions were justified, deserved, or shouldn't be a crime at all. They might argue that the law was unjust, that the victim deserved or provoked the crime, or that the poor misguided defendant was engaging in harmless mischief only to be caught up in brutal government overreach.

Technically, none of that is relevant to the jury. Legally, their role is to determine whether someone did the things they were accused of, not to make judgments about whether or not those things should be illegal. But in practice, there's no checks or balances or controls on the jury's fact-finding ability. If all twelve jurors can agree to vote "not guilty", then as far as the legal system is concerned, the crime didn't happen, period. There's no mechanism for delving into why the jury voted the way they did; they're supposed to decide based on the facts of the case, but there's no way to ensure that and there's no mechanism for overturning things if it's proven that they didn't. If a white guy murders a black guy right in front of a surveillance camera that clearly shows both faces as well as the actual murder, but twelve jurors vote "not guilty" anyway, then that's it as far as the legal system is concerned - the jury, the ultimate fact-finding authority, says the defendant didn't do it, and that's final. That is the mechanism for jury nullification: if there's no way you could possibly convince a jury that your client didn't commit the crime, you still might be able to convince the jury that they should rule "not guilty" despite the fact that your client committed the crime, and there's really nothing the legal system can do about it. It can't even be appealed, because the decision of a jury is final and holds even into appeals, and double jeopardy prevents someone from being tried again on charges they've been acquitted of.

Jury nullification occupies an uncomfortable and unsteady spot in US law. Courts hate it, since it's essentially the jury secretly deciding that the law just doesn't count today, but higher courts are reluctant to outright endorse the idea that it shouldn't ever happen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

american plea bargains are shady as hell

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jose posted:

american plea bargains are shady as hell

The american legal system is hosed in a lot of ways. It shows extreme favoritism to the wealthy and white people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

It's often ambiguous, yes, but the way this trial went was remarkably clear-cut example. The defense didn't really attempt to argue that their client didn't commit the crime - they attempted to argue that if their client did commit the crime, they would have been justified in doing so. Something like that is pretty much irrelevant outside of nullification arguments, which is why the judge tried to prohibit the defense attorneys from making that argument. Unfortunately, the defense appears to have realized that the judge was trying to prevent nullification arguments, and purposely ran afoul of that to make it look like the government was being mean to them. That just shows the difficulty of policing human factors without any real checks or balances.

To put it very simply, the purpose of a trial is to determine whether a thing happened. The prosecution charges that the defendant did X or Y, the defense denies it, then both the prosecution and defense present evidence and stories and arguments supporting their side of the story. Then the jury acts as ultimate fact-finder, evaluating what they saw in the trial and deciding whether or not the defendant did the things they were charged with beyond any reasonable doubt, while the judge advises them as a theoretically unbiased legal expert.

But what if the evidence is so blatant, so overwhelming, that no reasonable person would come to a "not guilty" verdict? For example, what if the FBI had been warned of the crime in advance by an informant, set up surveillance, and spent some time carefully documenting and monitoring the crime to gather evidence against the defendant before they moved in to make arrests? Or what if the entire crime was committed in front of a surveillance camera that clearly showed the defendants committing the crime? In that case, the defense might instead try to argue that the defendant's actions were justified, deserved, or shouldn't be a crime at all. They might argue that the law was unjust, that the victim deserved or provoked the crime, or that the poor misguided defendant was engaging in harmless mischief only to be caught up in brutal government overreach.

Technically, none of that is relevant to the jury. Legally, their role is to determine whether someone did the things they were accused of, not to make judgments about whether or not those things should be illegal. But in practice, there's no checks or balances or controls on the jury's fact-finding ability. If all twelve jurors can agree to vote "not guilty", then as far as the legal system is concerned, the crime didn't happen, period. There's no mechanism for delving into why the jury voted the way they did; they're supposed to decide based on the facts of the case, but there's no way to ensure that and there's no mechanism for overturning things if it's proven that they didn't. If a white guy murders a black guy right in front of a surveillance camera that clearly shows both faces as well as the actual murder, but twelve jurors vote "not guilty" anyway, then that's it as far as the legal system is concerned - the jury, the ultimate fact-finding authority, says the defendant didn't do it, and that's final. That is the mechanism for jury nullification: if there's no way you could possibly convince a jury that your client didn't commit the crime, you still might be able to convince the jury that they should rule "not guilty" despite the fact that your client committed the crime, and there's really nothing the legal system can do about it. It can't even be appealed, because the decision of a jury is final and holds even into appeals, and double jeopardy prevents someone from being tried again on charges they've been acquitted of.

Jury nullification occupies an uncomfortable and unsteady spot in US law. Courts hate it, since it's essentially the jury secretly deciding that the law just doesn't count today, but higher courts are reluctant to outright endorse the idea that it shouldn't ever happen.

"jury nullification" can also be a no confidence vote in the trial itself. for example here the prosecutor and judge were (justifiably) running all over the defense and preventing them from putting forth arguments. as a juror, if you see that kind of unification would you not be tempted to vote not guilty because you don't believe anything presented in the trial anymore? this is how OJ was found not guilty - the jury couldn't believe anything that the lapd touched based on their behavior at trial.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^
I would argue that isn't nullification. That is the introduction of doubt that seemed reasonable to the jury.
I would argue that the OJ trial was lost for a whole bunch of other reasons (it is a facinating study of a prosecutor who wasn't prepared for a very unconventional defense, in this cae, one who wouldn't waive time on a murder case).

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a point at which a defense goes so off script that a mistrial is warranted.
I get more worried when we talk about making significant changes to the way we do jury trials in a way that hurts the defense because some dude we hate walks.
My point is determining at what point the defense goes from "my client couldn't have done this because he's awesome" to "my client may have done this, but who cares because he's awesome" is a hard line to draw and if stricter rules were imposed against jury nullification, it is much more likely that the rules will be used against the former. It is already hard enough to paint your average defendant in a postive light.

nm has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Aug 24, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

coathat posted:

You're hosed in the head

Hi, government employee here.

Can you explain why it is okay for someone to point a gun at me, say he has beaded in a headshot, and brag about it on video?

If there is a legal reason my life suddeny doesn't matter, I've missed it, but I'm sure you will be able to set me straight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If that reason is "no violence took place, this was not actually that bad, we're just looking out for our rights," could you then tell me why I have no right to reciprocate with assurances that violations will be met with violence?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nm posted:

^^^^
I would argue that isn't nullification. That is the introduction of doubt that seemed reasonable to the jury.
I would argue that the OJ trial was lost for a whole bunch of other reasons (it is a facinating study of a prosecutor who wasn't prepared for a very unconventional defense, in this cae, one who wouldn't waive time on a murder case).

right, it's not nullification. I meant more that that's probably what happened here. lacking more detail; it's likely they didn't think "pointing guns at people should be legal" but "well I never trusted the Feds and this all looks pretty fishy"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Final question, can you explain why the Bundys felt like they were exempt from paying me for using my land?

You and I - all of us - jointly own that federal land in Nevada. I pay each April 15th to have it surveyed, patrolled, maintained. I also pay a little into the cost transfer pool of funding Nevada uses to maintain access roads to that land.

I expect compensation for the use of that land. I'm happy Bundy wants to use it; ranching is a good business. I'm happy that the land is available for the Bundy's use, thanks to the tax I pay to maintain that land, provide access to that land, and pay for the disability checks and other social safety net programs some of the Bundy family members use and have used to remain productive members of society.

Where's the problem with Bundy paying that forward? Why does he feel that he can avoid contributing to the revenue that maintains this mutually beneficial arrangement, wherein I pay to maintain the land in its fallow so it's available for commercial interests when they want it?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I paid for this bridge via federal contribution to road maintenance. Where's my money?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

right, it's not nullification. I meant more that that's probably what happened here. lacking more detail; it's likely they didn't think "pointing guns at people should be legal" but "well I never trusted the Feds and this all looks pretty fishy"
Have any jurors in this case spoken out like the last time?
They're both possible in this case. It is possible that some jurors thought one thing and the others the other.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I paid for this bridge via federal contribution to road maintenance. Where's my money?

Clearly a photoshop by the evil Feds
-someone that shows up for federal jury duty in Nevada (probably)

coathat
May 21, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Can you explain why it is okay for someone to point a gun at me, say he has beaded in a headshot, and brag about it on video?

If there is a legal reason my life suddeny doesn't matter, I've missed it, but I'm sure you will be able to set me straight.

Yes you've changed my mind the government should murder its citizens with drones.

coathat
May 21, 2007

The problem with the American justice system is that sometimes people don't get locked up in insane rape fortresses.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Jury nullification is a feature, not a bug. If you don't like it, and want a system were legal professionals decide, then what you want is for a judge or panel of judges to come to a verdict.

Just want to reiterate this statement is still bullshit. It's not a feature (desireable, intended) or a bug (unforseen failure of design).

It's more a "cost of doing business" and "rules of reality" sort of situation. It would be great if it didn't happen, the people who designed the system certainly didn't want it to happen, it's just that it's pretty much an avoidable side effect of other things we do want, and the cost of resolving the problem would be too great.

But if the designers of the system had the option of "every other benefit is preserved but you do away with jury nullification" they would have done, it's not a feature, it's just that we can't always get everything we want.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

nm posted:

It is kind of black magic, but a big part of it is showmanship. The real art of jury selection is being able to preview your case to the jury (witgin fairly restrictive confines) and see who reacts positively to it. It is the type of thing that comes with experence, not cooercing people to plea to drug charges because they'll get 2000 years if they go to trial and lose.
And to be fair, sometimes the jury pool just sucks, but this seems to be happening enough that I'd lean more toward problems in selecting juries, particularly in selecting juries in cases involving people with problems with the federal government. The jury the prosecution wants for this type of case is almost a 180 from the type they want on say a drug charge.

To change the jury pool, you need to make being on a jury easier. The whole $7 a day thing is bullshit. Jurors should get paid what they make on a daily basis otherwise. Services like childcare and the like should be accounted for and maybe also provided. Notices should go out much sooner, it would be much easier to know 6 months to a year in advance to block out a week or two. The exchange should be much, much harder hardship kicks. Also, while judges always threaten that people with a hardship kick may be called again in the same year, we should make sure that actually happens.
I will be the first to admit that jurors who don't want to be there kind of suck, but they're still better than jaded, often elected, judges. The jury system kind of sucks, but it seems better than all the other systems that have been tried.

Thanks this is interesting.

I read that this most recent trial in Nevada took 2 months. Were the jurors sitting there that whole time?! I'm fairly civic-minded but I'd probably hate everyone on both sides after two weeks of jury duty, let alone two months. I can definitely see how someone could spitefully vote not guilty in that circumstance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The american legal system is hosed in a lot of ways. It shows extreme favoritism to the wealthy and white people.

in the UK pleading guilty generally gets a fixed percentage of your maximum time served taken away and thats it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Potato Salad posted:

Your life matters, and these people are terrible.

Calling for general hick death plays into a very old kind of classism which I think is counter-productive. The Bundys, and acts if violence against people like you, are symptoms of a widespread problem in America, but that problem is not rurality, and its solution is not to stare down and whisper "no."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

as someone not in the US i'm all for the US government brutally massacring these people

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

I read that this most recent trial in Nevada took 2 months. Were the jurors sitting there that whole time?! I'm fairly civic-minded but I'd probably hate everyone on both sides after two weeks of jury duty, let alone two months. I can definitely see how someone could spitefully vote not guilty in that circumstance.

It depends on the case. Like where I worked, we generally had at least 1 day where trials didn't happen (generally so the court could do other business). Jurors did not come in that day.
Pretrial motions can take a while as well and that happens before the jury is picked or comes to court.
But yeah, you tend to spend a lot of time at the courthouse. It is why need to make it as easy as possible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Did I say kill anyone with a drawl a pickup and a ged?

Anyone who wants to have an armed standoff for godemperor trump when that time comes can be placed in the appropriate bin of their choosing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is it possible to take advantage of the free food and stuff like in that one simpsons episode?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Not usually 8 hour days but what other guy said. And yeah every week a courthouse is open til it's resolved. You know what they say: jury boxes are full of people too dumb to get out of jury duty. I sat on one and it was about a week m-f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

is it possible to take advantage of the free food and stuff like in that one simpsons episode?

Here they give you a per diem for lunch and that's about it. If there's donuts and coffee i don't recall. Probably depends on the courthouse