Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sure if you want to pay money. Most goons have computers they can do this poo poo on. The free AWS tier isn't that good anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My monthly aws bill is less than a dollar. I'm only using it for s3 and some lambda functions that invoke SES. But even when I was using ec2 my bill was still negligible. And that's if you run your instances 24/7.

Even if the free tier isn't what it once was it's still cheap as poo poo to prototype giant systems that you just can't do at home.

Edit- and again, the experience that you gain from doing it on AWS provides another skill that is much more valuable.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 24, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Get your company to get an MSDN deal with your MS volume agreement like me, and enjoy 200 bucks of Azure credits per month for whatever you want :smug:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Get your company to get an MSDN deal with your MS volume agreement like me, and enjoy 200 bucks of Azure credits per month for whatever you want :smug:

But then you have to use azure...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Can you guys drop some specific AWS free or cheap tier suggestions for labbing?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If I could combine Azure's panel UI with AWS services, that would be my dream :(

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've got $150/mo for Azure credits and it's enough for the smaller things.

Just remember to turn off your VMs when you aren't using them.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I've got $150/mo for Azure credits and it's enough for the smaller things.

Just remember to turn off your VMs when you aren't using them.

I made this mistake with a resource center testing ATA. 2 weeks later I got the "ALL YOUR poo poo IS OFF" mail. Forgot entirely about the VMs and burned through that $200 credit in no time.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

First figure out some service you want to learn. Using the Jenkins example that you posted earlier, set up an ec2 instance and install Jenkins on it (using the community AMI is cheating). Then build a custom VPC and deploy it there. Then script the whole thing using terraform (because cloudformation is a pile of garbage).

Just start small. There are a ton of labs here: https://aws.amazon.com/start-now/?sc_ichannel=ha&sc_icampaign=start-now&sc_icontent=2235 and here https://amazon.qwiklabs.com/catalog?locale=en (but these are a bit more in depth) I literally started off watching the videos here: https://aws.amazon.com/training/intro_series/ which are short and pretty easy to follow.

Now I'm an AWS Architect and I drink myself to sleep every night.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AWS is really cheap to lab on if you turn things off after you finish. There's also Ravello which gives you a free trial and lets you set up nested ESXi on public cloud if you want to lab some VMware stuff.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Now I'm an AWS Architect and I drink myself to sleep every night.

I've done 5 AWS courses and all that gave me is an inside knowledge of how complex AWS is and the supreme ability to jerk off directly into Jeff Bezos' waiting maw

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

the supreme ability to jerk off directly into Jeff Bezos' waiting maw

So you've also been to re:Invent?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

GreenNight posted:

Sure if you want to pay money. Most goons have computers they can do this poo poo on. The free AWS tier isn't that good anymore.

That's a good point, i just got a visual studio subscription from work and it includes a $100/mo azure credit as part of it. That'll definitely be the way to go unless i want to lab out something VMware-specific.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

HatfulOfHollow posted:

So you've also been to re:Invent?

I don't like eating men's dirty assholes enough to go to that

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, this thread has made an interesting turn.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Just always pick the cheapest instance size in the cheapest location and turn it off when you're done. You can use github as a way to seed information and it means your automation skills are top notch. Nothing you're doing likely needs more than a 1GB EBS ever, and that is being generous. Just use the ephemeral storage instances come with to do everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, this thread has made an interesting turn.

look, I'm just trying to fit into the Amazon AWS Architect lifestyle

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I figure I'll get some basic stuff going on my home lab (WSUS, watch a few GPOs get applied and work, etc) and then yeah, so I'm not learning AWS and the simpler MCSA-level stuff at the same time, I'll then look at utilizing AWS. Would like to learn :yaycloud: and that's definitely never happening at my current job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

All that stuff still applies to AWS at least if you've got a large Windows Environment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I figure I'll get some basic stuff going on my home lab (WSUS, watch a few GPOs get applied and work, etc) and then yeah, so I'm not learning AWS and the simpler MCSA-level stuff at the same time, I'll then look at utilizing AWS. Would like to learn :yaycloud: and that's definitely never happening at my current job.

The cloud is easy. Every day before you leave for the night erase the partition on all your disks in the server and then pull the plug. In the morning, redo it all.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been taking a CISSP class all week and most of this seems like really easy stuff when verbally talked about, but then when I look at practice tests the questions are significantly harder than the broad strokes the instructor touches. I have a feeling I'm going to get curb stomped by this test. This is the first time I've made a company pay for a class before I took a test so I'm not sure if this is basically how it is for all of them.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Which is the best IaaS offering out there :smug:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I just discovered my outlook has been happily archiving away for the last 20 months and my archive.pst is now 24 gigs.

I've become that guy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We have this brand new platform, everyone. It's called a private cloud, where you take our cloud service and place it in your own data center. You don't even need an internet connection for it to work! Stay tuned for our next big invention, which will completely replace thin clients and VDI: they're fully functioning computers with storage that you can put right on your desk. No need to run VDI at all!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Thom and the Heads posted:

So I told the CEO that, out of respect for my current employer, I'd like to stick to two weeks notice (I set the expectation that I'd need at least two weeks at least three times during our previous conversations). In the same email where he asked me to give a week notice, he said I'd have an offer yesterday. Radio silence. No offer, no followup email. :iiam:

Got the offer - 40% more than I am making right now. Starting with a two week notice. bah gah i think im gonna :yotj:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

40% is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sepist posted:

I've been taking a CISSP class all week and most of this seems like really easy stuff when verbally talked about, but then when I look at practice tests the questions are significantly harder than the broad strokes the instructor touches. I have a feeling I'm going to get curb stomped by this test. This is the first time I've made a company pay for a class before I took a test so I'm not sure if this is basically how it is for all of them.

Everyone I know who has taken the CISSP says it's an absolutely infuriating test and none of them had any idea if they'd passed after they finished, but they all did. Some of them took classes, some used books, but the test feeling like a complete crapshoot seems to be nearly universal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It took me 3.5 hours, including reviewing all of my questions. All I did was read some of the books. You'll be fine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugh, reading!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
How do guys with 20 years in the industry not know how to read a traceroute? 7 hops, 4 of them are 70ms+ because it's a cross country MPLS connection. He thinks they are additive and it's 320ms (80ms x 4 hops) from the MPLS router at the far end to the Voip gateway at the far end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sepist posted:

How do guys with 20 years in the industry not know how to read a traceroute? 7 hops, 4 of them are 70ms+ because it's a cross country MPLS connection. He thinks they are additive and it's 320ms (80ms x 4 hops) from the MPLS router at the far end to the Voip gateway at the far end.

"I'm no network guy"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

I wanna say people just go retarded sometimes?
I had to diagnose a fax line today and I stood there for like 10 minutes with a butt set and probes and multimeter and toner and just scratched my rear end wondering why the gently caress the dterm is clicking at me and I can't get a dial tone it was a DID line

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ah yes, the good ole butt set.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sepist posted:

Show them pathping and blow their mind.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 24, 2017

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
traceroute bad.horse is gonna gently caress them up too

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

This is a good teachable moment, because this person clearly doesn't know how traceroute actually works. Nobody with a working mental model could possibly come to this conclusion.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

anthonypants posted:

Show them pathping and blow their mind.

That's my ace, I only show that to the top tier guys.

Vulture Culture posted:

This is a good teachable moment, because this person clearly doesn't know how traceroute actually works. Nobody with a working mental model could possibly come to this conclusion.

I gave him a quick primer on how traceroute RTT is displayed, unfortunately for him it's a reply-all email with a lot of his coworkers on it :smugdog:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My (hopefully soon to be former) boss just lectured me because I wasn't telling him about the SAP upgrade strategy that our German parent company is going with. It was basically "you should have the thought in your head to inform me of certain things". I'm not loving snooping for him or playing political games. We've had consultants coming in all week to work up quotations for this project and he has missed every meeting and then grilled my about what was going on. I told him he needs to talk to the Ops Manager and IT Management for Germany and that I'm not in a position to dictate what the implementation strategy will be.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vargatron posted:

My (hopefully soon to be former) boss just lectured me because I wasn't telling him about the SAP upgrade strategy that our German parent company is going with. It was basically "you should have the thought in your head to inform me of certain things". I'm not loving snooping for him or playing political games. We've had consultants coming in all week to work up quotations for this project and he has missed every meeting and then grilled my about what was going on. I told him he needs to talk to the Ops Manager and IT Management for Germany and that I'm not in a position to dictate what the implementation strategy will be.

It's like we can watch the fucks drain out of you the further into this process you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

H110Hawk posted:

It's like we can watch the fucks drain out of you the further into this process you get.

And it is a wonder to behold.