Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marketing New Brain posted:

I am bringing this up because it is Ravnica flashback after all, and that's probably the all time best, especially when the rules hadn't changed.

I played a shitload of 3x RAV when it was up last year along with several times in the different 2/1 1/1/1 combos and I still loved triple Rav the best. Ravnica, Lorwyn, and Innistrad were probably the best draft formats they ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sometimes prices on mtgo are loving crazy

for example, chameleon colossus is, for some reason, $20 and bots will pay you $18.5 for it

but you can the foil from the vault version, which is $3.50. from the same bot offering $18.50 for the morningtide version

so now instead of my morningtide chameleon colosus i have a foil from the vault verson, and 15 extra tickets

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

TheKingofSprings posted:

My LGS/bar combo apparently had to get rid of the liquor there if they wanted to keep things cool with WotC

Doesn't WotC constantly point to Mox as a game store to emulate? they have a full bar and restaurant attached.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Retromancer posted:

Doesn't WotC constantly point to Mox as a game store to emulate? they have a full bar and restaurant attached.

Not a full bar, beer and wine only.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cactrot posted:

Not a full bar, beer and wine only.

More importantly, they have a clearly delineated line between the restaurant/bar area and the actual game store.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ShaneB posted:

My definition of that is reallllly skewed by living in sketchier areas of Chicago for a number of years. I thought that area seemed entirely fine no matter when I was visiting.

The amount of players who have had their cars broken into says otherwise. I like the store but it's definitely got an issue of location.

It's weird, I spent a lot of time in some of the lousier parts of Los Angeles but never felt as unsafe parking my car as I do around here. It's a shame.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

evilweasel posted:

sometimes prices on mtgo are loving crazy

for example, chameleon colossus is, for some reason, $20 and bots will pay you $18.5 for it

but you can the foil from the vault version, which is $3.50. from the same bot offering $18.50 for the morningtide version

so now instead of my morningtide chameleon colosus i have a foil from the vault verson, and 15 extra tickets

The only more expensive Morningtide card is Scapeshift on MTGO what the gently caress

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Marketing New Brain posted:

How many three set blocks were actually seen as good the whole way through? While 3x TSP and TSP-TSP-PC are some of my favorite ever, fuuuck Future Sight. Khans had an incredible first block that didn't hold up. Scars felt good all the way to New Phyrexia, despite the format changing quite drastically. I liked Alara, Conflux, Reborn but never drafted just Shards or double Shards and Conflux.

I am bringing this up because it is Ravnica flashback after all, and that's probably the all time best, especially when the rules hadn't changed.

scars block was incredibly interesting in that triple scars was a very good and fun draft format, then adding a pack of mirrodin besieged changed up the archetypes a lot while still remaining a good and fun format, followed by new phyrexia completely killing every single archetype in the first two formats and simultaneously being incredibly unfun.

shoutouts to blightwidow being one of my favorite limited cards of all-time

PJOmega posted:

The amount of players who have had their cars broken into says otherwise. I like the store but it's definitely got an issue of location.

It's weird, I spent a lot of time in some of the lousier parts of Los Angeles but never felt as unsafe parking my car as I do around here. It's a shame.

having grown up in flint i dont think there's another place in the united states or canada i've ever felt truly unsafe, which also sort of skews my opinion of sketchy areas :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Scars block is weird in that the full block format kind of blows but triple New Phyrexia is actually good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Phyrexian mana is one of my favorite mechanics because underpriced overpowered cards are my jam

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Phyrexian mana is one of my favorite mechanics because underpriced overpowered cards are my jam

Same, if you're not casting multiple things in a turn what's the point of Magic?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I do not like Scars block limited because it is one of the most bomb heavy formats I've ever played

I also didn't really like the infect/regular damage split

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All my snark aside, I would play the hell out of Zendikar draft again. Just Zendikar, the Eldrazi can go gently caress themselves.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PMush Perfect posted:

All my snark aside, I would play the hell out of Zendikar draft again. Just Zendikar, the Eldrazi can go gently caress themselves.

Wow, wrong.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Nope. Noooope. A turn 6 limited environment is really bad. So bad.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Elyv posted:

I do not like Scars block limited because it is one of the most bomb heavy formats I've ever played

I also didn't really like the infect/regular damage split

And not just bomb-heavy, but colorless bomb heavy.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ShaneB posted:

Hey Chicagoans, apparently MTG Card Market is closing after this FNM? loving hell, like there weren't too few magic stores as it was in this city.

Went to the final Wednesday modern and 4-0ed with grixis death's shadow. Beat affinity, burn, b/w eldrazi, and grixis death's shadow splashing white. Used up my store credit for some nice stuff but it's disappointing they're closing. It was a clean store with mostly good and mostly normal players and reasonable payouts.

Apparently there's a newer store supporting magic in Lincoln Park. Good games I believe and they run modern on Mondays. No idea about payout or credit though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
At least tell me you guys like Innistrad draft. :ohdear:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PMush Perfect posted:

Wow, right.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Invasion block was tons of fun to draft. A little on the durdley side but there were a lot of different good archetypes to try.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

Apparently there's a newer store supporting magic in Lincoln Park. Good games I believe and they run modern on Mondays. No idea about payout or credit though.

Mondays would be very choice.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Picked up a friend's old collection for a few bucks recently - looks like I'm about a dozen cards away from building a Triple Innistrad cube.

Could be fun.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Smashing Link posted:

Invasion block was tons of fun to draft. A little on the durdley side but there were a lot of different good archetypes to try.

At the time yeah but the mana is terrible and it does not hold up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's like a bunch of old sets, like Tempest, that seemed really fun when looking back at them through rose-colored goggles but are actually not great at all by modern drafting standards.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Invasion was a big step up from what came before it for draft but it's pretty antiquated now. I'd say Champions of Kamigawa is the oldest set that feels like a modern limited format in how mechanics and archetypes are distributed across the colors.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Triple Champions is a legitimately good draft format, in part because Champions is a legitimately good set

too bad about the rest of the block

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

At the time yeah but the mana is terrible and it does not hold up.
Yeah it's kinda hard to explain to people who haven't drafted older sets but there's a point where sets don't easily draft enough playables (not sure where I'd put the end of this, maybe about Onslaught?) and not having your 23 was a serious concern. You didn't just have a bad draft, you had an actual pile that ran out of playables.

Couple that with needing to draft for your mana base to make it work and hoboy sometimes IPA was quite the unfun. Plus every once and a while you'd meet the guy with the FTK + gating deck and just get all kinds of blown out.

On the other hand it has a lot of cool durdling that is really rare in modern sets.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PMush Perfect posted:

Zendikar is one of the absolute worst modern draft environments.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Elyv posted:

Triple Champions is a legitimately good draft format, in part because Champions is a legitimately good set

too bad about the rest of the block

Betrayers is a fine addition as long as no one opens a Jitte. It's just more of the same stuff though.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Hey Chicagoans, apparently MTG Card Market is closing after this FNM? loving hell, like there weren't too few magic stores as it was in this city.

poo poo, I had totally forgotten about that place. I was planning on going to my first FNM at Dice Dojo tomorrow, and MTG Card Market would have been a way more convenient location for me. I mean, I guess I could still go there, but it wouldn't make much sense to start going to a place that's about to close, especially if they get an extra rush of people saying goodbye.

Edit:
Now that I look at Wizards' event map, I see that there are plenty of other way more convenient stores than Dice Dojo, including one that's in my childhood barber's old storefront. Well there you go.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 24, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah, beating down against GW with my Bell tower sphnix deck is how Ravnica is supposed to play.

Edit: post not intended as criticism, it was awesome

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

poo poo, I had totally forgotten about that place. I was planning on going to my first FNM at Dice Dojo tomorrow, and MTG Card Market would have been a way more convenient location for me. I mean, I guess I could still go there, but it wouldn't make much sense to start going to a place that's about to close, especially if they get an extra rush of people saying goodbye.

Edit:
Now that I look at Wizards' event map, I see that there are plenty of other way more convenient stores than Dice Dojo, including one that's in my childhood barber's old storefront. Well there you go.

Where are you seeing stores? Chicago has surprisingly few shops IMO.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Edit:

Wizards event map is garbage. Never trust it.

Call or join facebook groups. I would assume there is a chicago facebook group for magic players.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 24, 2017

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

Where are you seeing stores? Chicago has surprisingly few shops IMO.

I guess I don't have much of a point of comparison. I just saw enough shops off the L that would be easy to get to after work.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Zendikar is one of the absolute worst modern draft environments.

I remember some people not liking how aggressive it was, but it was a pretty good draft environment, both standalone and with Worldwake, the flashbacks hold up. Landfall is still a great mechanic, even if it was poorly used in BFZ for the most part.

It had one of the worst sealed environments in history. You were black, red, or black and red if you wanted to go 3-1 or better.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's like a bunch of old sets, like Tempest, that seemed really fun when looking back at them through rose-colored goggles but are actually not great at all by modern drafting standards.

Boy let me tell you about how much fun I had in a flashback draft with my insane reanimator deck when my opponent played a turn 4 Portcullis 2 games in a row and I had seen 0 artifact removal in my entire draft.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

i actually don't like innistrad draft because i wasn't playing when it came out, its very complicated and dense and everyone who wants to draft it is already an expert with probably more drafts in it than i've done total

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can someone post the Marshal(?) to Efro pro tour coverage pic from best dressed to worst dressed? Thanks. I swore I saved it last time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UberJew posted:

i actually don't like innistrad draft because i wasn't playing when it came out, its very complicated and dense and everyone who wants to draft it is already an expert with probably more drafts in it than i've done total

This was the exact problem I had when I did the flashback drafts a few years ago. I just ended up playing RB aggro-mostly-vampires twice because I had no idea what I was doing, won my first round against people who I suspect were similarly unfamiliar with the format, then got absolutely destroyed by GW humans several times in a row. It's the main reason I never really played many flashback drafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think it's a bigger sin for a format to have an unplayable color than it is for the format to be too fast. Triple Zendikar and Triple Amonkhet weren't fantastic, but they weren't stinkers on the level of Battle for Zendikar and Avacyn Restored.

God, Avacyn Restored was just the worst.