Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ed's face at the end is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
new page

anime is real

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
okay so yeah he's not possessed

i mean not more than usual

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't get what she means by "get[ting] the energy out indirectly" and how it relates to lying about your favorite animes.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't get what she means by "get[ting] the energy out indirectly" and how it relates to lying about your favorite animes.

he's gushing about something that seems more normal to get it out of his system instead of :japan:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cat Mattress posted:

Isaac is unwilling to embarrass himself by publicly gushing about his favorite anime (although I'm not really sure why) so he's gushing about Law and Order instead, only it's obvious he's really thinking about something else because the boy can't do subtle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I wish the website Sub-A-Dub-Dub was real

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Who What Now posted:

I wish the website Sub-A-Dub-Dub was real

Sub-A-Dub-Dub.anime.ru

That's some detail.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The only one possessed here is... me, by my love of this comic! :swoon:

And also Hijack. :unsmigghh:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
dramatic anime isaac is

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
New page!

I'm glad Zack is edging away from the pastels a little.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
This is a very good page.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Nice Calvin & Hobbes sound in the last panel there.
How much do spec-shots actually hurt, anyway?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Not exactly sure how you expected that to go Isaac good buddy. Part of your personal grudge is that you're the odd man out in the club.

Edit: One of my favorite plot points in this comic is continued conflict between Isaac and Isabel, so this is a good page for my interests.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Last Visible Dog posted:

Nice Calvin & Hobbes sound in the last panel there.
How much do spec-shots actually hurt, anyway?

Probably depends on how much energy or whatever you put into it, anywhere from a finger flick to a hard punch. Isaac is probably getting the former.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i feel like the tone here implies we should be sympathizing with isabel, but like, isaac is completely right that everyone shits on him all the time and eggs him on. isabel says as much at the start of the chapter when she's walking to school with max. basically everyone seems to acknowledge that isaac has issues - which is good - and then just shrugs and says "I wasn't ever that close to him in the first place so i don't feel the need to go out of my way to help him". which is fine for any given person but everyone's doing it or has done it pre-chapter 1, and it's rough to watch

like i wonder if Zak's intended meta-goal for isaac is for the audience to sorta laugh at him since he's a big brooding dork but i really just feel bad at him

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

i feel like the tone here implies we should be sympathizing with isabel, but like, isaac is completely right that everyone shits on him all the time and eggs him on. isabel says as much at the start of the chapter when she's walking to school with max. basically everyone seems to acknowledge that isaac has issues - which is good - and then just shrugs and says "I wasn't ever that close to him in the first place so i don't feel the need to go out of my way to help him". which is fine for any given person but everyone's doing it or has done it pre-chapter 1, and it's rough to watch

like i wonder if Zak's intended meta-goal for isaac is for the audience to sorta laugh at him since he's a big brooding dork but i really just feel bad at him

Well, not to be "truth is in the middle" because I mostly sympathize with Isabel, but both of them have issues. Isaac is a big insecure dork. He overreacts to things, loves nerdy things but is ashamed by them so tries to hide it, and has so little experience with friendship that he misunderstands it badly.

Isabel on the other hand knows Isaac is a dork, knows he overreacts, and after the guy didn't chill out decided the best course of action was to keep pushing his buttons and hope he'd eventually "get it". Unfortunately, this just feeds Isaac's persecution narrative, and makes you a bully in his mind, so he starts attributing motivations to Isabel that she never had.

I like this little back and forth, but like most things in this comic, it's a slow burn.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 29, 2017

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Sounds like the perfect premise... for a filler arc!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Countblanc posted:

They recognize that kid's got issues but, like, he's kinda unpleasant to everyone all the time and it's not their jobs to kiss his rear end until it feels better. It's Spender's job to make sure he's included like him or not and he's the one who's isolating and antagonizing him; nobody else has done Isaac wrong but you wouldn't know it from the way he treats them.

I don't think you're just supposed to laugh at him, I think it's pretty clear you're supposed to laugh at him and recognize how badly Spender is loving up with these kids

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 30, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

At least Spender told Isabel she did a good job.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They recognize that kid's got issues but, like, he's kinda unpleasant to everyone all the time and it's not their jobs to kiss his rear end until it feels better. It's Spender's job to make sure he's included like him or not and he's the one who's isolating and antagonizing him; nobody else has done Isaac wrong but you wouldn't know it from the way he treats them.

I don't think you're just supposed to laugh at him, I think it's pretty clear you're supposed to laugh at him and recognize how badly Spender is loving up with these kids
Isaac is pretty typical, in that a ton of middle schoolers get stuck in a self-perpetuating loop of narcissistic insecurity that makes you a terrible friend. Spender's failure to be an appropriate role model for these kids is probably the result of him never managing to transcend these insecurities himself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

At least Hijack told Isabel she did a good job.

It’s going to be heartbreaking when she realizes.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Yeah I sympathize more with Isaac here but Spender's bad mentorship is kind of the root cause. Everyone else shits on him a bit in that they're kids and that's what kids tend to do and Isaac usually doesn't help that but being unpleasant himself, but in his perspective the others doing that is going to have a lot different tone when it's members of a club where the leader is intentionally keeping him in the dark on things. Max's "agent" slip also made it appear to him that even the guy who's only been there a couple days has joined in on it.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s going to be heartbreaking when she realizes.

Boy sure is weird hijack texted zarei

spender isn't hijack

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

This just reminds me that I'm almost as curious as Isaac himself as to why they need to be so secretive with him that they can't even tell him why they're not telling him things. Or at least inform that it isn't personal.
I almost expect the answer to be "because Spender is a dumbass" but I also expect Isaac's spirit/ghost to be involved. But mostly Spender being a dumbass.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
the real hijack was the friends we made along the way

Mindblast posted:

This just reminds me that I'm almost as curious as Isaac himself as to why they need to be so secretive with him that they can't even tell him why they're not telling him things. Or at least inform that it isn't personal.
I almost expect the answer to be "because Spender is a dumbass" but I also expect Isaac's spirit/ghost to be involved. But mostly Spender being a dumbass.

yeah seriously spender just sit the kid down and say "it's not you we don't trust it's just that everything you see and hear that spirit will know too, and we don't trust it so be cool and eventually we'll get that spirit out of you"

then again spender apparently has an evil shadow spirit in him and he's allowed to know things so

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mindblast posted:

I was thinking about this, and maybe he wants the spirit to think they're keeping things from Isaac rather than from the spirit specifically. Telling Isaac almost nothing makes sense in that context because if they only didn't tell him some things the spirit might be able to work out what's going on by what topics are and aren't being avoided.

Whether it's working or even necessary is an entirely different matter.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not like the spirits are especially smart (Isaac's especially) or likely to do anything with the knowledge, Spender just wants to be an MIB just like he wants to be a toughguy who wins fights and never has to see a doctor

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

It's not like the spirits are especially smart (Isaac's especially) or likely to do anything with the knowledge, Spender just wants to be an MIB just like he wants to be a toughguy who wins fights and never has to see a doctor

He's just utterly failing as a teacher in the process while not being good at those other things either.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked Isabel calling out Isaac here for being up his own rear end about his FEELINGS, it was extremely good. (He will not listen.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RandallODim posted:

Boy sure is weird hijack texted zarei

spender isn't hijack

Actually texting Zarei that he isn't Hijack seems exactly like something Hijack would do.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Everyone is Coyote Hijack :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Who What Now posted:

Actually texting Zarei that he isn't Hijack seems exactly like something Hijack would do.

Hijack spreads by texting

Pass it on

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Slime posted:

the real hijack was the friends we made along the way

yeah seriously spender just sit the kid down and say "it's not you we don't trust it's just that everything you see and hear that spirit will know too, and we don't trust it so be cool and eventually we'll get that spirit out of you"

then again spender apparently has an evil shadow spirit in him and he's allowed to know things so

I thought that Spender was keeping the fact that he has a spirit inside him from Boss Leader and the Onesie Group because then they'd kick him out of their club and he'd lose access to their resources and information. From the way Boss Leader firmly shut down Max when he asked if they could inform Isaac about things, the problem was less with Isaac and more with them not liking those possessed by spirits.

Like you said, Spender could've simply talked with Isaac that it's his spirit they don't trust, but he's been shown to deflect questions or even outright ignore it. Which is why I think Spender's a tremendous hypocrite and a terrible teacher because he has to be aware that what he's doing to Isaac is what the Consortium would do to him if they knew he had a spirit in him.

Though it's kind of amusing that Max only joined the club for the past day or so and it's already very nearly about to implode.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lots of mediums work for the consortium, remember man lizard

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

*checks the wiki* Huh...you're right, they actually do have a medium. It's been so long since I re-read the comic that I forgot this guy existed. I've checked the page and it seemed like his possession and transformation was recent and he's worried people see that instead of him as a person?

But if they have a medium working for them, then I don't know why the Consortium wouldn't tell Isaac anything, or why Spender keeps his status as a medium a secret.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I suspect it has a lot to do with which spirits are contained. Like, if Isabel had decided to become a host for Eightfold (:() then there wouldn't be much of a problem, but Johnny, host of Known-Consortium-Not-Liker Forge, might have a bit more trouble.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

BlackPersona posted:

Everyone is Coyote Hijack :v:

Indeed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

lots of mediums work for the consortium, remember man lizard

the consortium outside of Mayview is also notably not composed of twelve-year-olds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PMush Perfect posted:

I suspect it has a lot to do with which spirits are contained. Like, if Isabel had decided to become a host for Eightfold (:() then there wouldn't be much of a problem, but Johnny, host of Known-Consortium-Not-Liker Forge, might have a bit more trouble.

Yeah, it's implied that the Storm God is some spirit Spender defeated or something, if I recall correctly. It's an enemy of the Consortium and all. Spender likewise is host to a thing they probably really wouldn't like either.

On the other hand the lizard-man is host to a known and accepted thing, so no one cares. Or, maybe he'll be barred from some things, but it's not enough of a problem to bar him from everything at least. Also, he's an adult, not a child.