Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

WEAR SUNSCREEN OMFG

e: I know so many (pale white) people my age who get rly bad sunburn and post about their sun poisoning and how wacky it is. like ok yall enjoy your skin cancer I guess it's not like you can prevent this or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/900743992966619136
https://twitter.com/yamthatiam/status/900745405494906880

Elizabethan Error has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Aug 24, 2017

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The Snoo posted:

WEAR SUNSCREEN OMFG

e: I know so many (pale white) people my age who get rly bad sunburn and post about their sun poisoning and how wacky it is. like ok yall enjoy your skin cancer I guess it's not like you can prevent this or anything

Sure, but I've also burned through SPF 50, so :shrug:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought the only flag Marylanders cared about was their incredibly lovely state flag

gently caress you that flag is awesome.

Fake edit: I'm not from MD

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Snoo posted:

WEAR SUNSCREEN OMFG

There are people in my family whose skin is so bad from hormonal issues that basically no level of sunscreen will entirely keep them from burning. They've instead had to learn their limitations on how long they can stay in the sun at any one time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Oh look NDT being a living embodiment of "Um Actually"
For a guy who was supposedly inspired by Carl Sagan he sure does act like the complete opposite of Carl Sagan a lot. Fuckin' hell dude, let people enjoy things, especially science things you twit!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yawgmoth posted:

For a guy who was supposedly inspired by Carl Sagan he sure does act like the complete opposite of Carl Sagan a lot. Fuckin' hell dude, let people enjoy things, especially science things you twit!

He's always gotta have a take on things. Cant just be "Glad everybody was looking up today, theres cool stuff almost every day, lets learn about it"!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He's a living YouTube comment section

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Bombadilillo posted:

He's always gotta have a take on things. Cant just be "Glad everybody was looking up today, theres cool stuff almost every day, lets learn about it"!

He very nearly approaches the "Let's learn about it!" angle pretty much every time, but phrases it in that way that makes you just want to give him a wedgie and tell him to gently caress off. He very could've easily phrased this as something like "While total solar eclipses visible from the United States are somewhat rare, total solar eclipses themselves are quite common! Once every 2 years!" and been regarded decently well. But he had to go and be a turd about it.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Yawgmoth posted:

He's just being the living version of "technically correct is the best kind of correct", like any good scientist stereotype. I remember him going on The Daily Show and saying that the planet Earth model in the show's opening spins the wrong way around.

Also, at least he's talking about astrophysics this time.

SpacePig posted:

He very nearly approaches the "Let's learn about it!" angle pretty much every time, but phrases it in that way that makes you just want to give him a wedgie and tell him to gently caress off. He very could've easily phrased this as something like "While total solar eclipses visible from the United States are somewhat rare, total solar eclipses themselves are quite common! Once every 2 years!" and been regarded decently well. But he had to go and be a turd about it.

As a science communicator, he's very good at the science but less so on the communication.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Solar eclipses that I can afford to see are extremely rare but I guess Neil's seen enough that he's tired of them

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

toanoradian posted:

As a science communicator, he's very good at the science but less so on the communication.

I wish there was somebody in between him and Bill Nye, who sometimes misquotes or overstates science, but is very conversationally ready and TV presentable.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NDT and BN literally try to teach literal children very very very basic stuff so if you're in awe of them for some reason, as an adult, you should probably concentrate on hell of improving your country's educational system because those things? They are literally for literal kids. And they should be unnecessary.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Billy Nye was so irritating as a kid and the best part about him was you could totally zone out because it was a tape. Then when I grew up I found apparently americans loved him and it was very bizarre

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SpacePig posted:

There are people in my family whose skin is so bad from hormonal issues that basically no level of sunscreen will entirely keep them from burning. They've instead had to learn their limitations on how long they can stay in the sun at any one time.

It me. Partly pasty white by nature, partly on all kinds of meds that increase my sun sensitivity. :(

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Scratch Monkey posted:

Oh look NDT being a living embodiment of "Um Actually"

Good thing everyone can afford to travel around the world to see an eclipse!

Maryland's state flag is a Loss edit?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Billy Nye was so irritating as a kid and the best part about him was you could totally zone out because it was a tape. Then when I grew up I found apparently americans loved him and it was very bizarre

David Attenborough, on the other hand...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

NDT and BN literally try to teach literal children very very very basic stuff so if you're in awe of them for some reason, as an adult, you should probably concentrate on hell of improving your country's educational system because those things? They are literally for literal kids. And they should be unnecessary.
Again I say unto thee

Yawgmoth posted:

Fuckin' hell dude, let people enjoy things, especially science things you twit!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Again I say unto thee

No. Unless they were literally children when they were watching the stuff. Otherwise it's extremely dangerous if they only learned about that poo poo through television and not in school. Such a society should be deleted.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

EmmyOk posted:

Bill Nye was nice because it was a PBS show that wasn't about learning things about friendship and behaving and poo poo. I was never too big on Bill nye myself, but he's at least a decent TV presenter.

As far as science shows for kids, though, Beakman's World was where it was at. I actually tried to go out as him for Halloween once, but we couldn't afford enough dye to change my mom's old lab coat green, so I just went as a regular lovely doctor.

Jerry Cotton posted:

David Attenborough, on the other hand...

I'm glad that BBC America is starting to do their own poo poo and keeping Attenborough instead of having Oprah or Siguorney Weaver talk about animals on Science channel.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Snoo posted:

WEAR SUNSCREEN OMFG

I'm ridiculously light-skinned, and this is the first year I didn't get even a little bit sunburned. Thanks, SPF 70 :c00l:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I'm glad that BBC America is starting to do their own poo poo and keeping Attenborough instead of having Oprah or Siguorney Weaver talk about animals on Science channel.

I'm glad there's a "Science channel" that isn't William Shatner talking about UFOs.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Now if only there could be a History channel that isn't HITLER HITLER HITLER HITLER REALITY SHOW REALITY SHOW ALIENS HITLER

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Now if only there could be a History channel that isn't HITLER HITLER HITLER HITLER REALITY SHOW REALITY SHOW ALIENS HITLER

You're not even exaggerating :(

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SpacePig posted:

Bill Nye was nice because it was a PBS show that wasn't about learning things about friendship and behaving and poo poo. I was never too big on Bill nye myself, but he's at least a decent TV presenter.

As far as science shows for kids, though, Beakman's World was where it was at. I actually tried to go out as him for Halloween once, but we couldn't afford enough dye to change my mom's old lab coat green, so I just went as a regular lovely doctor.

Hell no, Beakman was... well, he was okay, but the show was way too much about terrible comedy skits that add nothing to the proceedings.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Don't forget Nostradamus (who predicted Hitler) and Megalodons (which totally still exist)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Don't forget Nostradamus (who predicted Hitler) and Megalodons (which totally still exist)

Nostradamus predicted Hister.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I once saw the same special about the battles on atolls in the Pacific theater scheduled every day for a week, typically sandwiched between Ancient Aliens episodes. It was almost fascinating.

Jurgan posted:

Hell no, Beakman was... well, he was okay, but the show was way too much about terrible comedy skits that add nothing to the proceedings.

Exactly, it was fun and funny (for a kid). Which Nye was not. I wouldn't take science advice from Beakman, for sure, since the guy is primarily an actor, but the show was definitely more fun to watch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I watched them both in school and they're pretty much the same poo poo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaVwwuErmU

the only science show worth watching

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Mikl posted:

I'm ridiculously light-skinned, and this is the first year I didn't get even a little bit sunburned. Thanks, SPF 70 :c00l:

:hfive:

also david attenborough is a treasure and he's so passionate about his work it kills me

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

Man, where do I find that? I've never seen SPF 70 for sale.

A few years ago I had a lab partner from India, who was dark-skinned as far as Indians go, and I recall us sitting in the sun outside to eat lunch and do some work together once. And she was vaguely worried about getting darker, because that's "ugly" in her mind. And I was just at a complete loss for words, because one she was an incredibly drop-dead beautiful girl, and two I hadn't put sunscreen on that morning, because it had been overcast, and I was vaguely worried that if we spent an hour out in the sun I'd come back pink.

But you know, there we were, enjoying the sun anyway. It was a nice day.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jerry Cotton posted:

No. Unless they were literally children when they were watching the stuff. Otherwise it's extremely dangerous if they only learned about that poo poo through television and not in school. Such a society should be deleted.
lol okay captain nerdulon, get mad that people aren't getting interested in things the right way

that'll totally create a better society you fuckin aspie

SpacePig posted:

As far as science shows for kids, though, Beakman's World was where it was at.
:hfive: I got up early on saturday to watch Beakman and it was always worth it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

If current events have shown us anything it's that we didn't teach enough about Hitler.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Who What Now posted:

If current events have shown us anything it's that we didn't teach enough about Hitler.

Or that our pop history has romanticized him too much as this platonic ideal of ultimate evil and power for frustrated white guys to latch onto to empower themselves.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I got curious about this one, and it's kind of almost based on truth if you squint and tilt your head and chop off the last sentence: Dude is actual science guy Tyrone Hayes, who did get hired to study atrazine. What he claims he found in frogs was hermaphroditism and chemical castration, not homosexuality, and his results haven't been replicated, but hey, it's a weird science conspiracy theory that's almost based on reality!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Puppy Time posted:

I got curious about this one, and it's kind of almost based on truth if you squint and tilt your head and chop off the last sentence: Dude is actual science guy Tyrone Hayes, who did get hired to study atrazine. What he claims he found in frogs was hermaphroditism and chemical castration, not homosexuality, and his results haven't been replicated, but hey, it's a weird science conspiracy theory that's almost based on reality!

Drawing half-assed conclusions from half-read, irreplicable studies that arguable prove some made up point about some assumed thing from some imagined agenda is kinda what American scientific discourse is all about these days.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

RoboRodent posted:

Man, where do I find that? I've never seen SPF 70 for sale.

This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEN4QZ8/

Your country's flavour of Amazon should have it. Worked well for my David-Duke-wishes-he-were-this-white skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

SpacePig posted:

I wish there was somebody in between him and Bill Nye, who sometimes misquotes or overstates science, but is very conversationally ready and TV presentable.

Bring back Mr Fuckin Wizard