Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Screaming Idiot posted:

My knife NEEDS a scope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I still haven't played Phantom Pain despite having owned it for a couple of months now. I bought it at the same time I bought Hitman, and Hitman has barely left the drive :\ also i bought Hitman at full price and it went on sale at 50-60% off literally the next day, and it hasn't moved in price at all so i made a bunch of bad choices that week but at least i got my monies worth.

One of my favorite little things in Hitman: I absolutely loooooove the bullet and knife wounds. I think they're the best i've ever seen in a video games; they use normal mapping (I think it's that) to give them some depth and extra detail and they look loving gnarly. They also have drippy blood on the walls, so when you pop somebody in the head you'll actually see it slide down like it's got real weight. And the blood drips when you kill somebody with a knife are top-notch too. For a game about killing people, they really made killing people look good.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I would like to bring Tumble's account to the stand. In a thread titled PYF little things in games: my decapitated ex-wife fell into my second wedding page 463, Tumble gives high praise to a serial killer simulator for how well it emulates real life murder. Tumble proceeds to go into detail about how blowing someone's head off and watching it slowly slide down a wall was done in a level of detail that most games would overlook. If that doesn't make Tumble look guilty I don't know what will.
Just messing around :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Tumble posted:

I still haven't played Phantom Pain despite having owned it for a couple of months now. I bought it at the same time I bought Hitman, and Hitman has barely left the drive :\ also i bought Hitman at full price and it went on sale at 50-60% off literally the next day, and it hasn't moved in price at all so i made a bunch of bad choices that week but at least i got my monies worth.

One of my favorite little things in Hitman: I absolutely loooooove the bullet and knife wounds. I think they're the best i've ever seen in a video games; they use normal mapping (I think it's that) to give them some depth and extra detail and they look loving gnarly. They also have drippy blood on the walls, so when you pop somebody in the head you'll actually see it slide down like it's got real weight. And the blood drips when you kill somebody with a knife are top-notch too. For a game about killing people, they really made killing people look good.

I adored just how many ways they included to do it the "professional" way. I don't recall the earlier games having nearly as many clever ways to off someone. When you're doing well it's like playing as some weird bald trickster god who causes horrible accidents.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm about two hours into West of Loathing and I am genuinely surprised by how much fun I'm having in it. I had no idea what kind of game it was before playing it, and finding out that it's a Quest for Glory-style adventure/RPG was a real treat. But it's the humour in the game that really does it for me. So many jokes in every conversation that are actual jokes and not just referential humour, as so much video game humour tends to be these days.

Plus I got a book of silly walks that added an option for silly walks in the menu. True to its name, it makes you walk in a silly manner, and there are a good number of different walking animations, including different ones for when you're holding a lantern in a cave.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I had to stop playing that.

It was all far too silly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the third game in the "2002 Triptych" (3 decent games that I bought all at once for £5.50 total, Knight Rider, Stitch Experiment: 626 and now, Mark of Kri) and I kind of like Mark of Kri's gimmick although it is tricky to use -you focus on enemies by sweeping the right analog stick to assign an attack button to up to 3 of them, and then use said buttons to attack them all fluidly without having to switch lockon constantly - fewer enemies locked on to give you the unassigned buttons to use as modifiers to do more damage to the enemy you are focused on. It's fairly weird, but it's starting to click and I'm kind of enjoying it now that I'm used to it, although it is definitely unorthodox.

also it has really pretty loading screens - they are screengrabs of the start/end of the level, run through a "hand-drawn" filter, and it fades in to the gameplay graphics after loading is complete. It looks fantastic in motion.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Aug 24, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing the third game in the "2002 Triptych" (3 decent games that I bought all at once for £5.50 total, Knight Rider, Stitch Experiment: 626 and now, Mark of Kri) and I kind of like Mark of Kri's gimmick although it is tricky to use -you focus on enemies by sweeping the right analog stick to assign an attack button to up to 3 of them, and then use said buttons to attack them all fluidly without having to switch lockon constantly - fewer enemies locked on to give you the unassigned buttons to use as modifiers to do more damage to the enemy you are focused on. It's fairly weird, but it's starting to click and I'm kind of enjoying it now that I'm used to it, although it is definitely unorthodox.

also it has really pretty loading screens - they are screengrabs of the start/end of the level, run through a "hand-drawn" filter, and it fades in to the gameplay graphics after loading is complete. It looks fantastic in motion.

I think this is only for the starting weapon, the sword? You get a few more and I think one can target 5 enemies at a time. It's also a really brutal game for it's cartoony style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHAEkRKwWY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I'm just doing the second level. For the first few stealth kills it was really standard corner kills and stuff "Oh just grab him and choke him out, that'll do. Ooh, another corner kill? Don't mind if I... Rau, what are you doing? Are you just, grabbing a guy by the scruff of his neck and waistband and beating his head into a wall until it's just paste... OK Rau, I think you're enjoying this a little too much, but you do you :stare:"

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think this is only for the starting weapon, the sword? You get a few more and I think one can target 5 enemies at a time. It's also a really brutal game for it's cartoony style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKHAEkRKwWY

Its basically Mulan/Pocahontas animation with brutal and visceral kills. I loved Mark of Kri and each weapon was awesome. Stealth wasn't that bad, but the combat shined for the time. I'll have to go back to it to see how its held up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

MI kind of like Mark of Kri's gimmick although it is tricky to use -you focus on enemies by sweeping the right analog stick to assign an attack button to up to 3 of them, and then use said buttons to attack them all fluidly without having to switch lockon constantly - fewer enemies locked on to give you the unassigned buttons to use as modifiers to do more damage to the enemy you are focused on.

Had never heard of this game before this month and now this is like the sixth time I've seen it brought up somewhere.

I like the idea of the combat system they have but I'm not quite sure why they designed it. In terms of simplifying targeting and inputs, why not just have one attack button combine with a direction input like in any other brawler or hack 'n' slash? Is it to divorce your movement from the enemies you plan to attack? Do they expect the player to switch among targets so fast that they need the inputs to be that simple? Doesn't look like it from gameplay videos. It seems like the main advantage is for attacks that need to connect properly and specifically with the enemy's character model, like finishers, rather than the generic sword swings that can can hit anywhere on the enemy's hitbox. But then again, Arkham games don't have a problem with that, unless that's an unfair comparison because Arkham wouldn't be until the next generation.

One cool thing I think that targeting system could be used for would be simultaneous attacks on two or more enemies that are not near or next to each other. Like if two enemies were flanking you and you pressed their two corresponding attack buttons you could hit them at the same time without the impossible task of somehow pressing your joystick in opposite directions at the same time.

But this whole system is less appealing the more enemies you have.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The combat system for Mark of Kri was the basis for the now ever-present Arkham system.

Edit: Read, don't skim.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Mark of Kri is a predecessor to Arkham combat, but it didnt feel fully comfortable divorcing so much control from the player so it ends up feeling akward and severly hinders encounter design to a small amount of enemies.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Lobok posted:

Had never heard of this game before this month and now this is like the sixth time I've seen it brought up somewhere.

I like the idea of the combat system they have but I'm not quite sure why they designed it. In terms of simplifying targeting and inputs, why not just have one attack button combine with a direction input like in any other brawler or hack 'n' slash? Is it to divorce your movement from the enemies you plan to attack? Do they expect the player to switch among targets so fast that they need the inputs to be that simple? Doesn't look like it from gameplay videos. It seems like the main advantage is for attacks that need to connect properly and specifically with the enemy's character model, like finishers, rather than the generic sword swings that can can hit anywhere on the enemy's hitbox. But then again, Arkham games don't have a problem with that, unless that's an unfair comparison because Arkham wouldn't be until the next generation.

One cool thing I think that targeting system could be used for would be simultaneous attacks on two or more enemies that are not near or next to each other. Like if two enemies were flanking you and you pressed their two corresponding attack buttons you could hit them at the same time without the impossible task of somehow pressing your joystick in opposite directions at the same time.

But this whole system is less appealing the more enemies you have.

In a way yes, but when you have one of the targets of your focus is far enough away, you can switch to attacking them as a way of getting out a tangle of enemies.

Not that impaling someone and letting them slide down the lenght of your Tai-aha or whirling around with Baumusu's Axe and turning everything around you into deli slices won't accomplish the same thing with the enemies cowering in fear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: didn't see the above post at first

It makes more sense for that cancelled Flash game that was going to use the same system because you can imagine how quickly you could zip around and away from enemies but you'd never lose the ability to instantly and precisely strike enemies no matter how far away they were from you, at a level you could normally not achieve without seriously abusing the analog stick.

Would also work in a game where you are routinely attacking enemies on different planes than you, including the Flash. Like how in the original Doom the game compensated for no mouselook by targeting enemies on different horizontal planes as long as you lined up the target above or below them. Brawlers generally don't have a great way to understand when I want to attack that enemy over there who's on a ledge below me. That usually requires aiming the camera or having to jump (jump up that is, even though I want to land lower than where I started).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I always wanted a Blade game with that style of combat. I think letting those guys go wild with death animations and different kills could workout really well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lobok posted:

Like how in the original Doom the game compensated for no mouselook by targeting enemies on different horizontal planes as long as you lined up the target above or below them. Brawlers generally don't have a great way to understand when I want to attack that enemy over there who's on a ledge below me. That usually requires aiming the camera or having to jump (jump up that is, even though I want to land lower than where I started).

Fun fact: the reason it worked like that in Doom is because, internally, "higher" and "lower" didn't exist. They were rendered higher or lower, but to the game it didn't matter. Same reason you couldn't have overlapping stuff in the original doom: No tunnels under rooms and such.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
So how does that work for traversing staircases? Is it just 'pushing' the world/items/enemies/whatever up or down but treating them all as if they're on a flat plane?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So how does that work for traversing staircases? Is it just 'pushing' the world/items/enemies/whatever up or down but treating them all as if they're on a flat plane?

Yes. The game sees everything completely flat. The sprites are just shifted vertically but never actually move.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I can't visualize that correctly and when I try, I feel slightly uncomfortable. It's bizarre.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Doom basically a top-down shooter but you're given the POV of the character? Like going from the top-down Google Maps into Streetview?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, pretty much. You could theoretically turn on the wireframe minimap to opaque overlay and attempt to navigate the level like that to moderate success.

Early 3D engines are interesting in their limitations and how people got around them to make levels look "real." Duke Nukem 3D wasn't truly 3D because the geometry wasn't stored as 3D information; it still laid out everything on a 2D plane. Because of this it couldn't handle rooms stacked vertically on top of each other (say for example a location partially filled with water). Instead, what they would do was a sleight of hand: when the player approached the transition of what appeared to be the transparent surface of the water, they'd be portalled to a different section of the map in a room that was the opposite viewpoint; the POV underneath the water's surface. What to the player was assumed to be all one room was in fact two.

It also allowed mappers to create impossible rooms, like ones that are bigger than the building that contains it or corridors that end up snaking through your starting position but never double back on itself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

It also allowed mappers to create impossible rooms, like ones that are bigger than the building that contains it or corridors that end up snaking through your starting position but never double back on itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8F9Eh43Qw

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm gonna yartz.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
feels strange with what I thought Marathon 1 having some scope there. I think they had some sort of hack that was more advanced?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Grognan posted:

feels strange with what I thought Marathon 1 having some scope there. I think they had some sort of hack that was more advanced?

The Marathon games actually worked on the same general principle.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Somfin posted:

For content, I picked up Prey while it was on sale. I am absolutely adoring the way the combat system works, now that I've got the hang of it; it's probably got the best example of 'guy that runs at you and then suicidesplodes' I've ever seen (they come in packs and track motion, not you specifically, so if you give 'em anything else to chase they'll follow it instead). But like everyone was saying back when it came out, the real selling point of Prey is the characters. It genuinely feels like they're all people who know each other and give a gently caress when one of 'em's in trouble. It's heartwarming in the same way that Undertale is and for basically the same reasons. I was sure, going in, that I was gonna play it like a hard-rear end cold-as-ice killer, but after I started reading the little email messages and heard the absolutely adorable recording of their DnD session, well... I'm gonna have to do a no-killing-humans run, just to clear it with my soul.

The best part so far, though, is the personal diary by the old scientist who came up with the 3D "Looking Glass" recording system- desperately trying to blame the known memory-damaging properties of the neuromod system for his slowly but inevitably encroaching Alzheimer's. I hit that and my goddamn heart broke. Proper loving sci-fi poo poo.

I just learned Prey existed when it became 50% off on Steam right now. It's good!

It's difficult to get fresh meat to the station, so the consumable food items include tomato jerky and 3D printed artificial meat.
Almost every crew member is listed in the security station manifest along with their current life signs and a navigation point that leads to them.

I really liked the subtle world building. This game takes place in a pretty weird universe.

When you see this:

The plaque underneath reads:

"In Memory Of

John F. Kennedy

1917-2031"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

William Bear posted:

I just learned Prey existed when it became 50% off on Steam right now. It's good!

It's difficult to get fresh meat to the station, so the consumable food items include tomato jerky and 3D printed artificial meat.
Almost every crew member is listed in the security station manifest along with their current life signs and a navigation point that leads to them.

I really liked the subtle world building. This game takes place in a pretty weird universe.

When you see this:

The plaque underneath reads:

"In Memory Of

John F. Kennedy

1917-2031"

Something I really love in that regard is there's no conceit to place you in that universe. No weird time-travel or dimensional shifting, this is just reality as-is for the game. Kennedy's assassination failed, people kept on going out into space.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think the game ever really draws attention to the fact that this is an alternate timeline either? There's a ton of hints and books but never where an NPC like, talks to you about it.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Aug 25, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The thing I like is that it doesn't draw attention to the nonlethal option, either. It's not like it's a massive binary choice, there's just a stun gun in the game that "incapacitates humans, deals damage to machines, and stuns Typhon creatures for a few seconds." Turns out 'incapacitates' means one-shot permanent nonlethal out-of-action on any human target, with no downside.

Boosting its recharge rate and shot efficiency to max means that you can basically throw on Combat Focus and blitz an area full of mind-controlled humans into full nonlethal unconsciousness without any of them going boom. It's also ludicrously effective against regular enemies when paired with a turret.

It's been a long time since a game felt this level of 'really hard until you learn how to gently caress with the system, then easy.'

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Tiny Doom nitpick, the whole "Doom is 2D" thing is slightly inaccurate. Yeah, the game didn't support 3 dimensions in a lot of ways because you couldn't have rooms above rooms, and you couldn't pass over other Things, and melee attacks specifically from enemies had infinite height. However, projectiles DO have height and if, for example, an enemy threw a fireball at you while you're riding down an elevator, it could pass harmlessly above your head.
:goonsay:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Glagha posted:

Tiny Doom nitpick, the whole "Doom is 2D" thing is slightly inaccurate. Yeah, the game didn't support 3 dimensions in a lot of ways because you couldn't have rooms above rooms, and you couldn't pass over other Things, and melee attacks specifically from enemies had infinite height. However, projectiles DO have height and if, for example, an enemy threw a fireball at you while you're riding down an elevator, it could pass harmlessly above your head.
:goonsay:

Is that real though, or the game faking it? In the shoot-em-up 1942 you could do a loop-the-loop to avoid projectiles.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Lobok posted:

Is that real though, or the game faking it? In the shoot-em-up 1942 you could do a loop-the-loop to avoid projectiles.

Does this have a meaningful distinction? The game will check the Z level of projectiles for the purposes of hit detection. You can go over or under them. That's it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's where the term "2.5D" came from- one of the dimensions is handled differently from the other two.

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes, pretty much. You could theoretically turn on the wireframe minimap to opaque overlay and attempt to navigate the level like that to moderate success.

There's a cheat code that makes enemies and projectiles appear on the map so the game is 100% playable like this (ok, 99% playable because you can't see hazards or switches, have to guess at what's a door, and so on).

haveblue has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Aug 25, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hence the term 2.5D games.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm just saying, Doom does have 3 dimensions, it's just limited on what it can depict in all 3 dimensions. Lots of things have infinite height but not all things. Oh poo poo, and I forgot about how you can jump between platforms by running fast, the game 100% models gravity on the player.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Glagha posted:

Does this have a meaningful distinction? The game will check the Z level of projectiles for the purposes of hit detection. You can go over or under them. That's it.

Meaningful distinction because I was wondering if Doom was actually using a third axis while 1942 was just using animation to pretend you were moving along the third axis while really it just temporarily removed your hitbox or made it invulnerable while the animation played.

Edit: I probably could have said "while" less.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Aug 25, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Glagha posted:

I'm just saying, Doom does have 3 dimensions, it's just limited on what it can depict in all 3 dimensions. Lots of things have infinite height but not all things. Oh poo poo, and I forgot about how you can jump between platforms by running fast, the game 100% models gravity on the player.

Can also jump over projectiles. It effectively created a game that happens in a 3D space. it's just very limited and if anything it makes it even cooler how much they did with those limitations. I would guess kids today just find it clunky and dumb, but goddamn it was cool as hell to go from like, SNES games to Doom (yes i know it got ported later)

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I remember being blown away by that Quake demo that came out around '93. Three of us huddled around a computer just knowing this was going to change gaming.

I don't think there were even any enemies in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

RyokoTK posted:

The Marathon games actually worked on the same general principle.

More or less yeah, but Marathon did have some tricks that Doom and it's other contemporaries didn't have; for example it had a more complex physics system with adjustable gravity - to the point where you could use the recoil from some weapons to propel yourself into the air, I think you could use the flamethrower as a primitive jetpack in low-grav areas. It also had freelook, stored ammunition in clips and magazines rather than just pooling it together and had voice chat in 1994.

It's also weird going back to Marathon and seeing how much of it went into Halo - a lot of the weapons are similar, enemies have major and minor ranks, and it even has oddball.