Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Here's a question: when I kite enemies to the entrance of Diamond City, they very occasionally will follow me through, into the interior cell. They fire upon me briefly and then leave. I assume there's some rule preventing enemies in combat from staying in Diamond City. Is there a way to permit them to remain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Been holding off on FO4 since release, in part to let the DLC and mods hit, and in part to try to clear out my overall gaming backlog. Should be finishing up Witcher 3 in the next few weeks and plan to move on to FO4 next. Really glad this post has a detailed mod list, especially since there doesn't seem to be a GEMS or STEP equivalent for FO4.

Do you guys recommend jumping straight in with mods, or messing around with vanilla first? I'm thinking I will at least boot it up and mess around a bit to get a feel for the base game, but will probably want to dive into some good mods fairly quickly. I rarely have time to do multiple playthroughs of most games or even really 'complete' playthroughs of big games like this, so I figure I should try to 'maximize' my experience the first time.

Thanks!

There are a few mods you should probably use from day one, but they're more functional basics. DEF_INV (and maybe Valdacil's Item Sorting to go with it). The unofficial patch. That mod that stops radiant quests from sending you to DLC areas. Uh... any others, guys?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

There are a few mods you should probably use from day one, but they're more functional basics. DEF_INV (and maybe Valdacil's Item Sorting to go with it). The unofficial patch. That mod that stops radiant quests from sending you to DLC areas. Uh... any others, guys?

Sim Settlements, shadowboost.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MikeJF posted:

Ha, I didn't know you needed a mod to avoid being sent to DLC areas--I got saddled with a Brotherhood Squire and the mission objective is somewhere in Far Harbor, which I haven't started yet. It's just hilarious that going from DC to Massachusetts was supposed to be a big undertaking for the Brotherhood and then they tell me to take this kid on a school trip to Maine.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah I had a quest pop up to kill a courser in Nuka World before I ever visited it and it glitched all the railroad radiant quests : /

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Sim Settlements, shadowboost.

Shadowboost, yes.

Sim Settlements is an excellent mod but is a major change and something he should choose rather than just being a fix like the others we're listing probably?

That said, it might be worth recommending one of the mods that makes preston calm the gently caress down on Radiant Quests.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Man, that final Mechanist fight is some bullshit. I think I'm stuck on the final wave, running around up on the catwalks pooping out mines and grenades like a Chihuahua having a panic attack.

EDIT: Fallout: no problem that cannot be solved by more running and more explosives!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2017

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Dick Trauma posted:

Man, that final Mechanist fight is some bullshit. I think I'm stuck on the final wave, running around up on the catwalks pooping out mines and grenades like a Chihuahua having a panic attack.

EDIT: Fallout: no problem that cannot be solved by more running and more explosives!

It kept glitching out on me to where the final phase of the fight never started, eventually I got sick of it and just console cheated my way into the peaceful ending.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nothin' like making all your provisioners fully-tricked-out sentrybots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

I prefer to give them Mr Handy thrusters with full sentry bot bodies and armaments. Helps keep 'em from getting stuck. Plus looks cooler.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah but then you can't use the shoulder launchers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like giving provisioners mining helmets so you can see their lamps at night.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I like giving provisioners mining helmets so you can see their lamps at night.

You can also locate them at night by giving them fat mans.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Been holding off on FO4 since release, in part to let the DLC and mods hit, and in part to try to clear out my overall gaming backlog. Should be finishing up Witcher 3 in the next few weeks and plan to move on to FO4 next. Really glad this post has a detailed mod list, especially since there doesn't seem to be a GEMS or STEP equivalent for FO4.

Do you guys recommend jumping straight in with mods, or messing around with vanilla first? I'm thinking I will at least boot it up and mess around a bit to get a feel for the base game, but will probably want to dive into some good mods fairly quickly. I rarely have time to do multiple playthroughs of most games or even really 'complete' playthroughs of big games like this, so I figure I should try to 'maximize' my experience the first time.

Thanks!

If you haven't bought the game yet, there's gold edition or something coming out soon that comes with all the DLC.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Agents are GO! posted:

MikeJF posted:

You can also locate them at night by giving them fat mans.

we need fat mens shoulder launchers on every robot chassis. M150, where are you. anta dokko?

quad launcher eyebot companion FtL

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

AND handy arms

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

Shadowboost, yes.

Sim Settlements is an excellent mod but is a major change and something he should choose rather than just being a fix like the others we're listing probably?

That said, it might be worth recommending one of the mods that makes preston calm the gently caress down on Radiant Quests.

I would count Sim Settlements as being one of if not the most important mod for anyone interested in Fallout 4 for things other than Gamebryo Minecraft to grab. Yeah it's a huge addition, but it's a huge addition for the worst part of the game besides the writing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I reinstalled last night and got a handful of mods, and I'm on a minty fresh install of both Mod Organizer 2.0.7 as well as LOOT, but none of my mods are actually activating. LOOT won't sort my list, and spits out an error code of 3221225477, and Mod Organizer as well won't sort my mods.

I can boot into the game and my choices for customizing my character are extremely limited. I can't even change my hair.

What did I gently caress up?

Edit:

Yep, my \data\ folder is pristine and free of mods. I thought I pointed Mod Organizer to the right directory to install them correctly but apparently I didn't.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You don't actually need LOOT or any kind of mod order sorter thing in FO4 or Skyrim or whatever unless you have a ridiculous number of mods. Seriously, LOOT is a placebo at best unless you you're doing crazy poo poo with your mods.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Entropic posted:

You don't actually need LOOT or any kind of mod order sorter thing in FO4 or Skyrim or whatever unless you have a ridiculous number of mods. Seriously, LOOT is a placebo at best unless you you're doing crazy poo poo with your mods.

This is good to know, I just have leftover habits from my Skyrim days :v:

Also I tried again with NMM and it works flawlessly. You'd think by now I would've learned not to mod a Bethesda game when I'm sleepy but oh well!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Capn Beeb posted:

I reinstalled last night and got a handful of mods, and I'm on a minty fresh install of both Mod Organizer 2.0.7 as well as LOOT, but none of my mods are actually activating. LOOT won't sort my list, and spits out an error code of 3221225477, and Mod Organizer as well won't sort my mods.

I can boot into the game and my choices for customizing my character are extremely limited. I can't even change my hair.

Edit:

Yep, my \data\ folder is pristine and free of mods. I thought I pointed Mod Organizer to the right directory to install them correctly but apparently I didn't.

Your data folder shouldn't have mods in it while using MO, that's the advantage of using MO. It uses a system to virtually install mods without actually overwriting any files, making managing them significantly easier.

Entropic posted:

This is true in the sense that you don't need to use loot to sort your mods because it's usually better to sort them by hand. Your load order (as well as install order in MO) is extremely important to get correct as that determines which files take priority over which other files or which load first, so even a handful of mods need proper sorting if they include information about the same data.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Tricking out a provisioner with a tuxedo, shades, and a Fat Man was one of my two great joys in this game. I followed him around on his adventures through the Commonwealth as a spectator sport.

The other one was raiding the Institute with a never-ending supply of Psycho, a quad-barreled missile launcher, and several hundred missiles. Because gently caress subtlety.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Capn Beeb posted:

Edit:

Are you getting any errors about writing to your plugin file? Maybe MO doesn't have permissions to change it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Nevets posted:

Are you getting any errors about writing to your plugin file? Maybe MO doesn't have permissions to change it.

Nope, got nothin'. I went to NMM afterwards and everything is working normally.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

e: Nevermind, the CZ restoration mod adds more functionality at the expense of custom content which is always a mixed bag anyway.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 25, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been replaying the ps4 version with mods and even with the sony mod restrictions I've found most of the stuff I want, namely a few difficulty tweaks to make survival a bit easier in combat so I can focus on the immersion, a big expansion on settlement items, and a way to cheat in some of the settlement perks.

Does anyone else here play the ps4 version that can recommend a few of the good mods or is it 100% PC in here?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

I've been replaying the ps4 version with mods and even with the sony mod restrictions I've found most of the stuff I want, namely a few difficulty tweaks to make survival a bit easier in combat so I can focus on the immersion, a big expansion on settlement items, and a way to cheat in some of the settlement perks.

Does anyone else here play the ps4 version that can recommend a few of the good mods or is it 100% PC in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

(Sorry, Im on PC so I can't help you. :shobon: )

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Not on PS4, but check out ANDREWCX mods if you're into settlements at all. Also his clothing mods are useful (ballistic any old thing and wear armor over whatever, notably)

You can even make poo poo look different or even invisible! So you can wear full heavy leather that looks like light, for example.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Anyone got an idea why Place Anywhere won't respond to numpad input when it comes to putting objects in place?

Edit:

Oh you don't select the item you wanna scale and rotate you just aim at them. :downs:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 25, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so i'm trying to get some new vegas mods, changed my nexusmods.com password since i forgot it, and it wont' accept any new passwords i have. i'm just like ok gently caress it then, i'll make a new account and it wants me to pay to make an account? for real? for mods? please tell me i'm missing something here

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

boner confessor posted:

so i'm trying to get some new vegas mods, changed my nexusmods.com password since i forgot it, and it wont' accept any new passwords i have. i'm just like ok gently caress it then, i'll make a new account and it wants me to pay to make an account? for real? for mods? please tell me i'm missing something here

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
No, you just can pay something if you want to support the site. Just click Create Account and it'll continue with making a free one.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any settlement related mods that let you build those silver RVs as pre-built houses?

I know there's one for the orange/white modular homes....

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Are there any settlement related mods that let you build those silver RVs as pre-built houses?

I know there's one for the orange/white modular homes....

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21744/
This one has both RVs and the modular ones.

Also they show up in a lot of Sim Settlement add-ons.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hobo on Fire posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21744/
This one has both RVs and the modular ones.

Also they show up in a lot of Sim Settlement add-ons.

Hell yeah

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

They're apparently launching Creation Club soon. Saw some posts about signing up for a Steam beta that includes CC support, and you can buy their bullshit points after you install, I guess.

Maybe they won't be lovely about this, but I highly doubt it.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So far it seems like microtransactions. Buy one small mod for money. At least the items seem to be included naturally rather than just putting them into your inventory.

Haven't seen the prices yet

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Anyone wanna bet against the microtransactions being directly responsible for the new ESL type mod?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

Anyone wanna bet against the microtransactions being directly responsible for the new ESL type mod?

100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://bethesda.net/en/article/6eCrELrFoQSA266KCKIWYQ/fallout-4-creation-club-now-live

Ok, so going down the list:

Chinese Stealth Armor is apparently different than the one on the Nexus somehow, but probably costs money so gently caress that.

A backpack mod. A loving backpack mod that they want you to pay money for.

Morgan's space suit from Prey. Because surely I want that in my Fallout? I guess?

Three pip-boy skins! Sold separately! :allears:

A black power armor skin?! REALLY?

Homemade Shotgun: looks cool, costs actual human money and is thus not worth it.

Prototype Gauss Rifle: Looks like the FO3 Gauss Rifle. Costs actual money. Bleh.

Modern Furniture Workshop Pack: So basically the majority of FO4 DLC except more of that?

Hellfire Power Armor: "Please ignore the current top file on the Nexus and spend money to get this one! PLEASE!"

Power Horse Armor: Ok, I mean, I get the meme. I get it. But is that meme worth money?

All in all, if this is what we can expect then I'm glad it will fail.