Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I did a Doomguy run on nightmare and found it to be really easy, but I think that the popular twitch streamers are just naturally bad at video games. Like the most popular ones all shriek at their monitor over mundane poo poo, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GlyphGryph posted:

As for aliens coming back, remember - aliens are your main source of the xenomaterials you need to craft more eyeball juice!

If it was just mimics and regular phantoms, I wouldn't mind. Quick psychoshock blast and I get more alien juice. I just hate the telepaths, and technowhatevers and the nightmares. The nightmares aren't hard for me to kill, they are just so tedious.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i hope in whatever dlc is released they add in some weapons and make really hard enemy-dense areas. not in keeping with the rest of the game, and it might end up funneling players towards particular choices, but i want to go apeshit with all my tricks. like, you know how in dishonoured the main way to play it involves a lot of sneaking, but once you're kitted out the mechanics are all there to make an incredibly cinematic slaughter simulator? anyway, that may be a velleity when the desire is put subject to having some exploration and an interesting new story that can be discovered through that exploration.

i also would've liked some human enemies in the game with different ai to get you to use powers in different ways but i wouldn't expect that for a dlc.

this is just being greedy and talking idly, though, this game is goty easily and it's incredibly unlikely anything comes out between now and the end of the year to change that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Zed, are you sure video games are the right hobby for you? Every thread I see you in is 10,000 words of frustration.

Well like I said, up until that particular room (okay, watching mimics scamper into my apartment was a buzzkill), things had been going pretty smoothly.

I think there would be less words on frustration if I didn't seem to have bizarre luck with things like "Enemies attacked me through sealed doors" or "Your grenades decided they hate you" to happen to me so frequently in games. :v:

Even without my tendency to stumble face first towards harder than average optional encounters. "Intended gameplay tips" were after such had failed for one reason or another instead of working as advertised. Hence running up and shooting them in the face turning out to be risk free, after all the normally legitimate pro-tips about sneaking up with goo guns, environmental damage, sneak attacks, etc were not panning out on that rear end in a top hat.

Because all the good advice about "Don't treat this like Doom" is stuff I've already been doing, and was already working great up until this particular, apparently much tougher than the average for this leg of the game, jerk. The treating it like Doom for once solved the problem risk free in about ten seconds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 24, 2017

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

QuarkJets posted:

I did a Doomguy run on nightmare and found it to be really easy, but I think that the popular twitch streamers are just naturally bad at video games. Like the most popular ones all shriek at their monitor over mundane poo poo, right?

To be fair you kinda have to minmax a wee bit to really abuse that. And you have to plan out how you will spend your neuromods, which might be beyond some people.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
All you need is max combat focus, max weapon damage and max weapon upgrades. It's not like you have to worry about complicated sphere grids or synergies or something, just click the skills that make you shoot mans better.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
We should demand Prey: Synthesis, wherein the previous Prey plot interdimensionally collides with Talos 2.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The thing is though didnt you end up using a stun gun lockdown approach? Thats very un-doom, approach wise.

Although yeah brute force is still ultimately always a solution, whether it take the form of hacking or run and gunning, but intelligent use of disabling weapons, stealth upgrades, and grenades or abilities make most encounters much easier.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

The thing is though didnt you end up using a stun gun lockdown approach? Thats very un-doom, approach wise.

Although yeah brute force is still ultimately always a solution, whether it take the form of hacking or run and gunning, but intelligent use of disabling weapons, stealth upgrades, and grenades or abilities make most encounters much easier.

Doom 4's stun modded Plasma gun has admittedly put "gently caress it, stun this rear end in a top hat THEN shoot him in the face" into the less than stealthy category in my mind.

So walking up to shoot them with a gun that still needs "Real gun" skills to upgrade, then shooting them with another gun doesn't feel sneaky. Particularly as it even works if I sprint up to an enemy and unload it in their face direct. Stealth makes it easier, but using it directly isn't that bad off.

Meanwhile, just walking up to even middling phantoms with the goo gun still gives them time to fire off at least one lightning bolt with low tier upgrades. So that gets filed under "Sneaky".

One will still get my rear end fried at least once before it works out if I try to use it without being sneaky, even without it being a guy who can break free on a whim. The other will electrocute even the guy shooting lightning bolts at me, whether or not I sneak up on them of loudly announce my presence before shooting them in the face.

Though trying to play the whole game like that would be pretty stupid, so I expect mister stun gun shall remain my good friend for when straight up stealth fails because I'm an ammo hoarding coward. But I'm very glad the game still has the option to just say "You know what? gently caress it :black101:" if a monster is being particularly stubborn.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 24, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Just craft more ammo. Recycle everything and craft neuromods and ammo forever

GlyphGryph posted:

Only for technopaths because they tend to fly around and disable your Q-Beam with their electricity attack, and the Q-Beam is really the right way to kill them. I wouldn't have had to use the stun gun at all if the game had a rocket launcher.

All of the phantoms (including elemental) and mimics get shotgun face-blasted. Mimics and normal phantoms die in 1 shot, elemental phantoms take 3, no stuns required. Weavers are usually 2, sometimes 3 shots, but you have to drink vodka or gin first

lambskin posted:

To be fair you kinda have to minmax a wee bit to really abuse that. And you have to plan out how you will spend your neuromods, which might be beyond some people.

You just need to max out security weapon upgrades, which is just a few skills. Everything else is just gravy.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 24, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Technopaths die in like two stun gun blasts max. They're cake. Seriously if you're having trouble with the game use the stun gun more. Upgrade the poo poo out of it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

All of the phantoms (including elemental) and mimics get shotgun face-blasted. Mimics and normal phantoms die in 1 shot, elemental phantoms take 3, no stuns required. Weavers are usually 2, sometimes 3 shots, but you have to drink vodka or gin first

Ravenfood posted:

Technopaths die in like two stun gun blasts max. They're cake. Seriously if you're having trouble with the game use the stun gun more. Upgrade the poo poo out of it.

I am very glad for further vindication of assuming my bigger problem was "Didn't have the shotgun yet" and the joys of tasers, thank you :buddy:

EDIT: Ho Ho Ho. Now I've got a shell fabrication plan.

Also fun. Leaping off a balcony and hurling explosive canisters on your way down.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 24, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Neurosis posted:

but i want to go apeshit with all my tricks. like, you know how in dishonoured the main way to play it involves a lot of sneaking, but once you're kitted out the mechanics are all there to make an incredibly cinematic slaughter simulator? anyway, that may be a velleity when the desire is put subject to having some exploration and an interesting new story that can be discovered through that exploration.

That's just what I want now.

Dishonored 2's fantastic at this, the level with Delilah's heart - I always go full on power use. I can't wait for the dlc for that either.

Arkane goty every year.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Going back through for a third(ish) playthrough after tearing through Dishonored 2, and I'm really missing the strong stealth elements of that game. The nature of mimics make passing through areas unnoticed essentially unworkable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Really, really, enjoying the rear end backwards logic of "Leap down with an explosive canister". Which also works if you botch trying to be sneaky with the nerf bow to lure them so you can toss it down and fall like an idiot :downs:

"Oh poo poo, oh poo poo :stare:... uhh. I mean... Hot potato mother fuckers :clint:" and essentially bashing two phantoms in the face with a gas canister point blank for my opening move results in only 8 lost health when the fight's over.

Becoming more Roger Wilco than Space Marine is indeed giving me proper flashbacks to SS2.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 24, 2017

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
To be very fair, the combat difficulty does spike in the Lobby right after Hardware Labs, when the new phantoms and occasional Greater Mimic show up. Best to avoid them and go straight to Psychometrics (maybe stopping in Neuromod to reset the license), as they still have the weaker enemies. Until then you're running with far fewer neuromods and weapon upgrades, meaning you have to expend a lot of resources on harder enemies.

Also, I wish the psi abilities showed up just a little earlier, some players (like me!) can get sidetracked, and others might want to focus on psi as their main skills but get annoyed at having to go through all of Hardware first.

Mostly, though, i just want Psychoshock earlier :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
In my current run I encountered "Will Mitchell" and after acquiring his culinary award he took it, mumbled "I won't fight you", and locked the kitchen up tight. I have a feeling I'm going to have a bad time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

In my current run I encountered "Will Mitchell" and after acquiring his culinary award he took it, mumbled "I won't fight you", and locked the kitchen up tight. I have a feeling I'm going to have a bad time.
If it seems like you can stop something from happening in this game, you can.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there are different ending for not taking any typhon mods?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Cojawfee posted:

Is there are different ending for not taking any typhon mods?

Not reeeeaaally, there's like one line about it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This is on sale on the PSN for $30. Is it worth it?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

yes

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Leavemywife posted:

This is on sale on the PSN for $30. Is it worth it?

Yes but only if you exclusively turn left in game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

vorebane posted:

Yes but only if you exclusively turn left in game.

And a lefting we will go!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering if it's possible somehow to get the turret fabrication plans early, does anybody know? The cargo bay is in sadly in an un-exploded state at game start making it impossible to get to the office that contains the blueprint, but maybe there's another copy hidden somewhere?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure that one's plot-locked.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

darn. Was thinking of an indirect damage/stealth playthrough - using turrets and environmental hazards but not a single bullet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Well you can still totally do that, theres only one enemy you actually need to kill in the whole game and it can be killed with environmental hazards so you should just be able to rush the plot until you get the turrets plan

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Is the nightmare repellent/call-in you get from doing the side quest unlimited use?
Not that they are difficult to evade, sitting in some vent for 3 minutes gets kinda old though.

Almost gave up on the game after stumbling from the existential horror of G.U.T.S. to the Arboretum pond, then making a beeline for the elevator encounter, and meeting a weaver/nightmare waiting in the lobby

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nope, you get two uses for each functionality, for four uses total.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Is it really only two? Could have sworn it was three.

Got lots of xenomaterials thanks to that quest, nightmares are such pushovers

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
nightmares should have immunity to most psi-powers, including being able to physics break by ignoring combat focus. i mean, in addition to being better at getting through doors and poo poo.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

A.o.D. posted:

This is one of my favourite parts in the game.

Wait, why the gently caress is "Will Mitchell" talking in a Russian accent?

Why are these audiofiles showing him with a different face and talking in an American accent?

Well he let me in, but he seems suspicious as gently caress, so I'm gonna taze him because I don't want to kill anyone.

And then Danielle talks me into killing him, so I go back and there he is, still stunned, so I kill him with the wrench and wonder if I did the right thing.

Then I look up what happens if you don't disable him and go into the freezer. He locks you in and tries to kill you. gently caress that guy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neurosis posted:

nightmares should have immunity to most psi-powers, including being able to physics break by ignoring combat focus. i mean, in addition to being better at getting through doors and poo poo.

I think this is a counterproductive mindset, given the entire temptation of MIND POWERS is BECAUSE they are often more effective against aliens. As well as saving you some ammo and materials from all the grenades types you would be spamming instead. If the Nightmare just decided to no sell your significant investment in alien mods, the annoyance of such a thing could easily overshadow the intended feeling of fear from "Oh poo poo, he's immune to everything!... Except hand grenades and bullets."

Though I'm also very putter about slowly mindset anyways. So a recurring jerk interrupting me is already a concept that my personal bias isn't sure is worth harvesting his juicy organs if I don't want to run to the nearest loading screen or essentially AFK for 3 minutes.

That said? My comedy of errors that is "In Zero Gravity, me and an alien try and fail to kill eachother for a solid minute" is probably my bigger incentive for wanting the psychic powers equivalent of the nullwave grenade.

"Why did you inject yourself with horrible alien super powers?"
"So I'd waste less time putting up with horrible aliens with their own superpowers."

I am so very, very glad that "Early Game Trauma Center" was not representative of the overall product :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 26, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Why do I keep reading early game trauma centre?
There was some named bad dude in there, but I had my trusty turret with me plus a thrown explosive canister or something. Didn't seem different than the other 20 named dudes.

But then again, 34 hours in and I just finished Deep Storage. If you pick up the Stun Gun before entering the lobby plus an early qbeam from outside or beamlabs, nothing can stop you.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 26, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sauer kraut posted:

Why do I keep reading early game trauma centre?
There was some named bad dude in there, but I had my trusty turret with me plus a thrown explosive canister or something. Didn't seem different than the other 20 named dudes.

But then again, 34 hours in and I just finished Deep Storage. If you pick up the Stun Gun before entering the lobby plus an early qbeam from outside or beamlabs, nothing can stop you.

Oh, named guy is easy. It's his fiery friend that's immune to explosive barrels and Gloo Guns that's the hard part pre shotgun without the stun gun :v: So I'm pleased to hear he apparently didn't spawn for you then.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

He does spawn for me, but stungun and qbeam/pistol (depending on the run) do him in pretty quickly and safely.

I actually had a much harder time first time through with the pair of splitting super dashing phantoms that show up in the engineering bay when you come back in from outside. I was not prepared to deal with that many dudes (four, effectively) that early on that can kill you just by being near you, and thats before you can easily get the qbeam that would let you effectively snipe them. I could have just sneked by them but I wasnt done looting the room!

Thank god for easy access to medical and engineering drones in that area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SulphagneSocialist posted:

This is one of my favourite parts in the game.

Wait, why the gently caress is "Will Mitchell" talking in a Russian accent?

Why are these audiofiles showing him with a different face and talking in an American accent?

Well he let me in, but he seems suspicious as gently caress, so I'm gonna taze him because I don't want to kill anyone.

And then Danielle talks me into killing him, so I go back and there he is, still stunned, so I kill him with the wrench and wonder if I did the right thing.

Then I look up what happens if you don't disable him and go into the freezer. He locks you in and tries to kill you. gently caress that guy.

He also runs away and starts booby trapping various doors and machines. Then you find him in a booby trapped escape pod.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Section Z posted:

Oh, named guy is easy. It's his fiery friend that's immune to explosive barrels and Gloo Guns that's the hard part pre shotgun without the stun gun :v: So I'm pleased to hear he apparently didn't spawn for you then.

The fire guy's not actually immune to explosives. Just immune to being set on fire. If you enter the trauma center on the right and shoot a gloo blob at the left wall you can jump into the rafters and pick the perfect vantage point in his patrol where he passes by 2 explosive barrels. (this will not kill him, but it will knock him down and take out ~70%-80% of his health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

He does spawn for me, but stungun and qbeam/pistol (depending on the run) do him in pretty quickly and safely.

I actually had a much harder time first time through with the pair of splitting super dashing phantoms that show up in the engineering bay when you come back in from outside. I was not prepared to deal with that many dudes (four, effectively) that early on that can kill you just by being near you, and thats before you can easily get the qbeam that would let you effectively snipe them. I could have just sneked by them but I wasnt done looting the room!

Thank god for easy access to medical and engineering drones in that area.

Conversely, he was spectacularly easy for me! Along with their repeat showings. We should share eachother's luck in chumping our respective least favorite phantoms.

Unlike the others, seems captain clones a lot doesn't seem to kick in being hazardous to be near until he aggros? Or if so it's faint enough to not be an issue until wrench to skull. So zero stealth skills charged wrench upside the back of their head often sends em to the pavement for an ensuing curbstomp of choice. When they don't fall from that, I seem to be lucky with them doing their canned rage animation half the time rather than immediately clone themselves.

At least, that's when you have the luxury of dealing with them on your own terms... I should USE my loving Q-beam more often, I've got a little over 1,000 ammo for it last I checked after all. But now that I'm carrying a plethora of firepower, I'm that much more comfortable saving it for when things go bad.

double nine posted:

The fire guy's not actually immune to explosives. Just immune to being set on fire. If you enter the trauma center on the right and shoot a gloo blob at the left wall you can jump into the rafters and pick the perfect vantage point in his patrol where he passes by 2 explosive barrels. (this will not kill him, but it will knock him down and take out ~70%-80% of his health

Odd. I made several attempts at shooting one of the canisters he loved to stop and conveniently stand still next to. But it always seemed to do about gently caress all to him. I guess the physics engine just wasn't agreeing with me that day, given my recycler grenades were also exploding the moment I let go of them too for... some reason.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 26, 2017