Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was considering Skaven but I actually think I wanna see how Lizardmen play while listening to The Mission soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fargom posted:

Kill, all high elves!

Money down.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So watching the dark elf gameplay it seems like all 3 elf races have a city called Vaul's Anvil in their homelands, what's up with that?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I was considering Skaven but I actually think I wanna see how Lizardmen play while listening to The Mission soundtrack

This is a pretty great one. Shame they no longer have Jeff van Dyck as I'm sure he would have made the music for Lizardmen/Lustria maps something alonge those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_7yxAOeUQ

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

So watching the dark elf gameplay it seems like all 3 elf races have a city called Vaul's Anvil in their homelands, what's up with that?

I'm pretty sure Dark Elves don't. In the video it was on Ulthuan and had recently been captured.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure Dark Elves don't. In the video it was on Ulthuan and had recently been captured.

Vaul's the elven god of the forge. If you've got a lot of craftsmen in one place, calling it "Vaul's anvil" is pretty much a no-brainer.

(also GW definitely forgot they'd already named one place Vaul's Anvil at some point)

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

sassassin posted:

Money down.

Works on contingency?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really love how that slave mechanic works, actually. Being able to fine-tune where the slaves you capture end up is really useful and a level of finesse I didn't expect in a Total War game.

It does make things like Imperial offices look completely phoned-in, though. Maybe they'll take the time to update that stuff and bring it on par with the new factions sometime during the cycle of this game.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The biggest/most important shrine to Vaul is called Vaul's Anvil.
So with all three elf races worshiping the same pantheon, but each doing their own thing, you end with three separate shrines that are called Vaul's Anvil because each race their shrine is the most important.

Ze Pollack posted:

(also GW definitely forgot they'd already named one place Vaul's Anvil at some point)
It's accurate to lore. :shrug:

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
Am I the only one worried about 'power creeping'? The new 4 factions look so good that everything from game 1 just looks mediocre. :(

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
they are making a heroes and might and magic / age of wonders game now and i am ok with that

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

they are making a heroes and might and magic / age of wonders game now and i am ok with that

Absolutely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kaza42 posted:

1.High Elves
2.Dark Elves
3.Lizardmen
4.Skaven

1. Laser dinos
2. Laser dinos
3. Dinosaurs with lasers
4. Laser dinos

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone else worried they are going a bit too far with some of this stuff?

Intervention armies seem annoying, not cool. The AI has infinite money, they shouldn't just be able to spawn full armies in my core province the moment I start trying to do a ritual.

Basically every army we saw in that video was getting around by sea. With all sea combat dictated by auto resolve, that seems like a solid chunk of battles could happen with zero player interaction.

But just, everything. Rites for every faction, the new Slave systems, the way the Dark Elves fight and their weird buff stuff, Black Arks, etc etc. I'm worried they just seem to have kept adding more and more on, but if any part of those additions don't work, what does that mean for the campaign.

I suppose after years of saying Total War never really changes, just gets better graphic updates it's been a long time coming, but still.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Jum-Jum posted:

Am I the only one worried about 'power creeping'? The new 4 factions look so good that everything from game 1 just looks mediocre. :(

It's more interesting-campaign-features creeping. Hopefully they overhaul the original factions for the combined campaign. I will be playing High Elves when the game comes out as I had such an army in the TT, many moons ago. Their infantry line up look strong, I just hope their cavalry holds up given their lack of anti-large cav.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean it's a sequel - if the new factions didn't make the old ones seem bland by comparison I'd be disappointed.

That said hopefully they get thrown a bone when they're integrated into the grand campaign.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Intervention armies seem annoying, not cool. The AI has infinite money, they shouldn't just be able to spawn full armies in my core province the moment I start trying to do a ritual.

Basically every army we saw in that video was getting around by sea. With all sea combat dictated by auto resolve, that seems like a solid chunk of battles could happen with zero player interaction.

But just, everything. Rites for every faction, the new Slave systems, the way the Dark Elves fight and their weird buff stuff, Black Arks, etc etc. I'm worried they just seem to have kept adding more and more on, but if any part of those additions don't work, what does that mean for the campaign.

I suppose after years of saying Total War never really changes, just gets better graphic updates it's been a long time coming, but still.

Intervention Armies definitely seems like it may be a problem. Same with the weird Rogue armies.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Intervention Armies definitely seems like it may be a problem.

Intervention Armies seem like a way to get around the "AI can't use boats worth a poo poo" problem.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Rookersh posted:

Yea this is what I'm saying. Even the TW1 campaign map has a lot of cool choke points and land areas/battle maps that never get used because the AI can't produce field armies. So TW2 looks like quest battles and a whole lot of loving sieges, unquestionably the weakest part of the Warhammer experience. What's the point of a huge map when you have to spend 5 turns watching your army sail around...then go into a siege battle. Great.

They added intervention armies AND random enemy spawns, like rebels in Medieval 2 iirc, or barbarians in Civ games. A random force to make you defend your cities that you could otherwise ignore because the campaign AI can't manage the map.

I'll say this though, CA hasn't made an explicitly BAD Total War game yet. Flawed, sure, bad & buggy on launch, ok, but they've supported their products well.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 24, 2017

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Ammanas posted:

I'll say this though, CA hasn't made an explicitly BAD Total War game yet. Flawed, sure, bad & buggy on launch, ok, but they've supported their products well.

I have never completed an Empire Total War campaign because my saves always begin to crash on load eventually. I like so much about that game but it was broken as gently caress at launch and was definitely not well supported afterward.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I love that the guy was on turn 75ish and was just doing his second ritual

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Intervention forces seems a bit ehh but at least they'll ensure that you get more field battles against decently balanced AI lineups which you can go entire campaigns without having in the first game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The systems they're adding basically bring it up to Attila complexity so I'm not concerned about that. Interventions let you do something if the enemy is about to win the game and you're on another continent.

Though that ties into the thing that gives me pause; since the map is so big it seems like it's be real easy to rampage through a bunch of cities since the enemy stacks are on the other side of the map and five turns away, and vice versa.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You can't actually lose the game through rituals alone. If the AI fills the meter first then you'll still be ported to the ~final battle~ but you'll be disadvantaged somehow.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Defending siege battles is pretty fun though? The biggest problem is the AI being too scared to attack unless they have an absolutely overwhelming advantage, so it seems like intervention armies are a decent enough way to make big seiges happen consistently

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kainser posted:

You can't actually lose the game through rituals alone. If the AI fills the meter first then you'll still be ported to the ~final battle~ but you'll be disadvantaged somehow.

I thought you outright lost.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Defending siege battles is pretty fun though? The biggest problem is the AI being too scared to attack unless they have an absolutely overwhelming advantage, so it seems like intervention armies are a decent enough way to make big seiges happen consistently

People say this alot in this thread, but Ive had many defensive siege battles in my campaigns. The AI usually wants an advantage but will siege if it has 2 or 3 armies usually even if you have a garrisoned army in the town.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Considering how advantaged the player is in a defensive siege so does it make complete sense that the AI won't attack unless they outnumber you 3-1.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The AI makes interesting choices. Confederated Bretonnia when they had like 4 provinces everything maxed out, barracks and stables max level, their armies 80% tier 1 troops with no shields and standard archers...

Also on a side note, my primarily peasant army stack of like 1,300 dudes got attacked in march stance by Mouslini with 4 stacks of guys 7,000+ strong and I manage to pull a win out of my rear end. Difficulty was on Hard too so wasn't just some easy cake walk. That was a fun battle, standard swordmen units have close to 300 kills each with all my stacks getting down to like 20-30 dudes.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

Yea this is what I'm saying. Even the TW1 campaign map has a lot of cool choke points and land areas/battle maps that never get used because the AI can't produce field armies. So TW2 looks like quest battles and a whole lot of loving sieges, unquestionably the weakest part of the Warhammer experience. What's the point of a huge map when you have to spend 5 turns watching your army sail around...then go into a siege battle. Great.

They added intervention armies AND random enemy spawns, like rebels in Medieval 2 iirc, or barbarians in Civ games. A random force to make you defend your cities that you could otherwise ignore because the campaign AI can't manage the map.

RIP the old medieval 1 chess board map that forced a field battle then retreated everyone to the castle for a siege.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

RIP the old medieval 1 chess board map that forced a field battle then retreated everyone to the castle for a siege.

God I love that game. One of these autumn weekends I'm gonna make some cider and fire that sucker up again

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

RentACop posted:

God I love that game. One of these autumn weekends I'm gonna make some cider and fire that sucker up again

Well if you get it working on Win7 or Win10 please let everyone know, as far as I know it's not possible with crashing constantly :(

someone actually recently released a GOT mod for Medieval Total War 1 in the year two thousand seventeen lol: https://steamcommunity.com/app/345260/discussions/0/523890046873941980/

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 24, 2017

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Seriously why would anyone play as high elves? They have 0 unique things from what I saw. What is even supposed to be cool about them?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

spears spears spears
bolt thrower???
dragons
I dunno, best swordsmaster ever!!!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gay Horney posted:

Seriously why would anyone play as high elves? They have 0 unique things from what I saw. What is even supposed to be cool about them?

They're basically the Magical British. BEEN SAVING THE WORLD FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS WE HAVE, AND NOW THESE GODLESS SAVAGES ARE ABOUT TO gently caress IT ALL UP AGAIN. NOTHING FOR IT BUT TO SAVE THEM EVEN IF ASURYAN KNOWS THEY DON'T DESERVE IT. GODS SAVE THE PHOENIX KING EH WOT.

Pompous assholes who know they're dying out but are planning to be as difficult about it as they possibly can. Also they're a little bit legitimately entitled to their arrogance because they legitimately are the ones who saved the world the first time sooooo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gay Horney posted:

They have more cool monsters than Dark Elves and some people like the longbow lines? Dragons and Phoenixes look pretty neat and I love eagles (even if they suck :()

I prefer them over like Brettonia or Dark Elves tbh. If they had the hydra I'd probably be asking the same about the Delfs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

they seem like the wood elves but without the amber bullshit and less nightmarish micro. I like to field a lot of ranged in my campaigns because idk, I like to see a lot of arrows, so i should be a huge fan of the wood elves, but they're incapable of being left alone for any amount of time without all dying. I'm still probably gonna go more dark elves because I'm an edgelord, and besides that they still both come behind lizardmen and skaven.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

sky chariot

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BadLlama posted:

The AI makes interesting choices. Confederated Bretonnia when they had like 4 provinces everything maxed out, barracks and stables max level, their armies 80% tier 1 troops with no shields and standard archers...

The AI doesn't disband units afaik so if they never got in any fights they'll still have turn 1 armies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

liking their in-battle toys, mostly. you want to win the arrow game, the elite flanker game, or the monster game, the high elves are your friends. for all dark elves have some cool strategic toys, they've got a pretty generic roster. ooh, our basic archers have armor piercing. joy.

• Locked thread