Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That movie rules, and that part of that movie rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Snak posted:

:rolleyes:

Alien vs. Predator is more of an arthouse film than Elysium.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good thing I don't enjoy movies based on how "arthouse" they are.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

It's great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's great.

After all the movies about people trying to rescue Matt Damon, Matt Damon finally gets crucified and dies to save everyone else.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RedSpider posted:

Blomkamp put that in the movie, and thought it was a good idea.

I don't see what the problem is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
:laffo: Elysium should have been released this summer. Remember how the biggest complaint about it even in its thread here was "This is so unrealistic why would rich people otherize and hold back quality healthcare from less rich people????????"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't see what the problem is.

Neo Rasa posted:

:laffo: Elysium should have been released this summer. Remember how the biggest complaint about it even in its thread here was "This is so unrealistic why would rich people otherize and hold back quality healthcare from less rich people????????"
It always cracked me up that people thought it was unrealistic that rich people would withhold money from poor people. "But they already have it and aren't using it, why wouldn't they just let people have it?" It was a pretty good barometer for how blind people are to machinations of capitalism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really love it when people complain that some evil empire in a movie or a video game is irrational.

If you were writing a Star War or a Throne Game or some other such genre property and you modeled the principal nation on U.S. foreign policy, every pop-cultural YouTube would be tripping over their own dicks to call you out as the worst writer in history.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

People being bigoted greedy authoritarian pieces of poo poo for no reason other than that's who they want to be is extremely realistic but I can understand why it would come off as bad writing to some. Elysium is so on the nose though that it was the most laughable to me when people were like "Why do they keep a whole working class in this lovely planet separated from them if they're already super rich????" Awesome movie.

I thought Blomkamp doing a retcon Alien 3 movie JUST to bring back Ripley+Hicks would be stupid and I still do but I'd kill to see him do an Alien movie in general.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

People being bigoted greedy authoritarian pieces of poo poo for no reason other than that's who they want to be is extremely realistic but I can understand why it would come off as bad writing to some. Elysium is so on the nose though that it was the most laughable to me when people were like "Why do they keep a whole working class in this lovely planet separated from them if they're already super rich????" Awesome movie.

I thought Blomkamp doing a retcon Alien 3 movie JUST to bring back Ripley+Hicks would be stupid and I still do but I'd kill to see him do an Alien movie in general.
I keep harping on it, but if Blomkamp has a mailing address or something I will mail him a copy of Aliens: Labyrinth on my dime.
'Aliens: Tribes' by Blomkamp would probably be a good time, too.

While we're talking fantasy projects, if there was some way for the ditched Alien3 "wooden planet" script to get adapted into a non-Alien movie or otherwise a new IP, I think Terry Gilliam would have a field day with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's probably read it. But he doesn't want to do something new.

He wants to correct what he believes is a wrong.

In about 10 years, someone else will do the same. Showing that the Alien was not created by David and destroy what those films built up because fans are petty as hell.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

As he stated this? Just curious for a source.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

As he stated this? Just curious for a source.

There was an IGN interview I linked to way earlier in the thread where he's pretty forward about how Alien 3 is bad because Ripley Newt and Hicks die and he would love to have a go at a doover of that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

In about 10 years, someone else will do the same. Showing that the Alien was not created by David and destroy what those films built up because fans are petty as hell.
Eh the concept art he posted for his hypothetical movie had its share of new stuff, so who knows.

As for David creating the Alien, I still don't think he did. David flubbing the author of his favorite quote wasn't an accident and is thematically important (and Ridley Scott calls attention to it in the commentary).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He created the Alien. He made it from scratch. This is stated. This is fact.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The engineers had access to everything David did on that planet for a lot longer and earlier than he did.

If you give enough people eggs, flour and milk im sure a few of them are going to come up with pancakes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe like a few hundred years passed too. Maybe even after he let some engineers take some eggs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Xenomrph posted:

I keep harping on it, but if Blomkamp has a mailing address or something I will mail him a copy of Aliens: Labyrinth on my dime.
Thanks for reminding me to reread this. And Colonial Marines.

:gibs:

:cawg:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The engineers had a relief of the alien carved into the wall of the Prometheus planet and they arguably weren't even smart enough (or dumb enough depending on your outlook) to create humanity so creating the alien is clearly no big.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

He created the Alien. He made it from scratch. This is stated. This is fact.

He didn't make it from scratch though, he was working off of someone else's work. He actually calls attention to this in that "Advent" viral video that's on the bluray, too.

Did he create an Alien? Well yeah. Was he the first one to do so (whether he thinks he was or not)? I don't think so.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The engineers had a relief of the alien carved into the wall of the Prometheus planet and they arguably weren't even smart enough (or dumb enough depending on your outlook) to create humanity so creating the alien is clearly no big.

I imagine it would be like if humans genetically engineered a cow that somehow grew from a 80 lb calf to a 1,500 adult in less than 24 hours without requiring any food or water to gain that mass.

After that point, why would you even care about advancing genetic science any further? Everyone on Earth would just sit around eating infinite steaks all day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I approve of infinite steaks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The thing on the wall was the deacon. Not a Xenomorphs

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

CelticPredator posted:

The thing on the wall was the deacon. Not a Xenomorphs

By that metric the thing in Covenant wasn't a xeno either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not quite, and that's the point.

It's almost there though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

so...is the dog alien in A3 not a xeno because it looks different too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everything from Alien onward is a xeno. Before, ehhh maybe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That doesn't mean the Engineers or whoever didn't also make a not-Alien as well, who knows?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Even in its gooiest form it involves some of the DNA/etc. from whatever biological stuff it's interacting with. If the Alien 3 alien is a Xenomorph, then by that same definition Fifeld's return form, the deacon, the neomorphs, etc. are all different species of Xenomorph because the only thing that differentiates any Xenomorph is what life form it came out of. Like if the Trilobite planted an egg in a human instead of in that engineer something way closer to the Xenomorph we know in the Alien flicks/the end of Covenant would have come out.

This is very thematically important because David is who he is in Covenant because Shaw created the Trilobite which created the Deacon, and David hates that he can't quite create on that level until he seemingly just about perfects it with Oram (by creating something visually closer to the "true" Xenomorph we know from Alien).

David talks like and personally believes that he wants a truly perfect killing machine, but he really wants something that allows anyone to create, but his definition of creation is his own twisted take on childbirth. So we go from this not easily controlled raw creative force that is the black goo to things laying eggs in humanoids.

So there is a clear in universe and thematic thru-line for how David's own philosophy would create a seemingly "less advanced" version of the goo in the form of the eggs and the Xenomorph itself, but at this point of course it's a given that whoever created the Engineers got the same species at some point too because of how insanely ancient the derelict in Alien looks.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 25, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Blomkamp put that in the movie, and thought it was a good idea.

Jesus, dude, do you have a good opinion on anything? I thought you would have lucked onto one by now.

Halloween Jack posted:

I really love it when people complain that some evil empire in a movie or a video game is irrational.

If you were writing a Star War or a Throne Game or some other such genre property and you modeled the principal nation on U.S. foreign policy, every pop-cultural YouTube would be tripping over their own dicks to call you out as the worst writer in history.

I'm reading a history of the Wars of the Roses at the moment, and it starts way back with Richard the Second, who was enormously petty, and kept going after people who'd wronged him, and it lead directly to his downfall. It would be like if Joffrey had settled the war in the North peacefully, then just kept kicking Rob until Rob threw up his hands and had him murdered.

In a history of World War 2, a minor anecdote revealed that Mussolini, early on, would take off his shirt and show how ripped he was at meetings of his government.

Basically, real life dictators and kings manage to be infinitely more stupid and ridiculous than their fictional counterpoints all the time.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

Jesus, dude, do you have a good opinion on anything? I thought you would have lucked onto one by now.

I have plenty of good opinions about many things. Neill Blomkamp and his movies are not on the list, though. :D

And Alien: Covenant was a great film. I liked the Roy Battyness of David's character.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

CelticPredator posted:

The only possible non-poo poo future for the Alien franchise is one where Prometheus and Covenant are burned out of history, and everyone who has seen them executed. I will march voluntarily into that good night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No the opposite is the one that needs to happen.

Duh, dude.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

a foolish pianist posted:

The only possible non-poo poo future for the Alien franchise is one where Prometheus and Covenant are burned out of history, and everyone who has seen them executed. I will march voluntarily into that good night.

Covenant was indeed dogshit but Prometheus was wonderful.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
watched Covenant tonight. Prometheus was stupid and crazy and ambitious and fascinating. Covenant was just loving stupid

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Covenant was just loving stupid

The series has never had any smart loving, so it's to be expected.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

watched Covenant tonight. Prometheus was stupid and crazy and ambitious and fascinating. Covenant was just loving stupid

I made the mistake of giving Covenant, a movie I was disappointed with, another watch. Now I just straight-up hate that stupid movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

precision posted:

The series has never had any smart loving, so it's to be expected.

AVP and AVP:R are loving amazing.

I don't know why but on Rick and Morty, it is shown that Rick created a gun that would clone himself inside of another person/creature to burst out of. Eat your heart out David.

You're nothing compared to Rick.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 2, 2017