Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017

Erpy posted:

And "Qilingong" is the name of the same skill Rean can use during one particular fight in Cold Steel to buff his speed and strength which is a very nice piece of inter-arc continuity.

Think Principal Vandyck also uses it, so maybe it's an Eight Leaves move or a useful move from elsewhere Master Kafai nicked.

On Cassius, I must've lucked out because Richard just craft spammed him to death for me (this fight).

Also, he has unique dialogue with every party member: https://i.imgur.com/gN5a0hv.jpg

My personal favourites are Renne and Ries.

NotASmartMan fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I took Kloe and Julia to fight General Morgan, but since afterwards dialogue made it clear that everyone knew Cassius would be next, I went back and re-foght Morgan with Estelle and Joshua. Morgan has unique dialogue as well. I think he actually has a line acknowledging if you have both Estelle and Joshua there - not just one line for each of them, there's also one line if you have both.
- The "my cousin in Erebonia doesn't talk much" chest gag was great, because chests in Cold Steel are just chests, they can't be interacted with after opening, and such have no phrases. We'll have to see if the chest phrases made exclusively for the western localization are popular enough for chest phrases to return in the Calvard arc.
- Cassius was an amazing boss. Such simplicity. Such elegance. Such power. Don’t bother trying to land any status effects, but also don’t worry about any status effects landing on you. Cassius is beyond the need to weaken you with tricks. He has sheer overwhelming power.
- I didn't bother with Earth Wall. I spent a Zeram Capsule because Richard died with 200 CP and later another Celestial Balm on Richard, but otherwise I was able to hold my ground. Although the fact that he got a hell of a lot faster towards the end was a nasty surprise. I used all my S-Crafts, and a couple extra to push me over the top. The rewards of Emblem, and Super Gladiator Belt and Headband were fantastic too.

NotASmartMan posted:

Think (Cold Steel) Principal Vandyck also uses it, so maybe it's an Eight Leaves move or a useful move from elsewhere Master Kafai nicked.

Can you and Erpy (and everybody else) please not post untagged spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel in the Trails in the Sky LP?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 24, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
UNPARALLELED YELLING

Gotta love the boss battles where you're fighting a simple dude that just wrecks your butt. It's a nice touch that in comparison to most of the other guardian fights, the party is the one kneeling while Cassius is all 'yep you beat me. good job' standing there no-selling his defeat.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Excuse me, Richard gets both the Super Gladiator Belt and the Divine Blade Emblem.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can you (and Erpy as well) please not post untagged spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel in the Trails in the Sky LP?

I'm going to second this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 24, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Really Pants posted:

I'd say I'm entitled to a drink or two.

I don't think that's supposed to be Estelle's line.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:ssh: don't tell her dad

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

NotASmartMan posted:

Also, he has unique dialogue with every party member: https://i.imgur.com/gN5a0hv.jpg

Thank you for this. :cheers: I was wondering what everyone said.

Edit:

Oh hey. Or this too - with additional dialogue! :cheers: x 2

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 24, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I do love how Renne, who 97% of the time is one of either smug, bratty, or sinister, gets to Cassius and even she's like "Yeah I got nothing :stare: "

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It should be noted that if you lose to Cassius (and one boss later), you get the standard "Retry" option that tones him down a bit and "Retry (Easy)" because even Falcom realized how badass Cassius is.

EDIT: Also I think you only get the Divine Blade's Emblem if you beat him on his normal difficulty. If you need to retry, you don't get it.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 24, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Super Jay Mann posted:

I do love how Renne, who 97% of the time is one of either smug, bratty, or sinister, gets to Cassius and even she's like "Yeah I got nothing :stare: "

Renne hanged out regularly with Loewe, who is canonically somewhat stronger than Cassius, and one assumes she met her co-workers at some point, like that particular enforcer first introduced in Cold Steel.
She's terrified not because Cassius is horribly powerful, but because he's made himself a completely unreadable blank slate and that should not be possible at all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

She's not terrified of Cassius because he's an unreadable blank slate. She's terrified of him because he invited her to dinner.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Really Pants posted:

Don't lie. We all know you're not going to stop at two.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Really Pants posted:

He loving says 'Boom goes the dynamite.' I am not making that up.

Wow, Cassius. I have no words. The strongest man in Liberl, ladies and gentlemen!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I had to independently confirm that claim about "boom goes the dynamite" and it's true. :stare:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Lost between all of Cassius's amazing feats and reputation is the fact that the man is, very slightly, a dork.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Lost between all of Cassius's amazing feats and reputation is the fact that the man is, very slightly, a dork.

I think he's operating on the premise that if you're sufficiently rad in other respects, it goes from 'being a dork' to 'personal idiosyncracy'.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

vdate posted:

I think he's operating on the premise that if you're sufficiently rad in other respects, it goes from 'being a dork' to 'personal idiosyncracy'.

Yeah, but I think Estelle comes by hers naturally, and from what little we know about Lena Bright, I don't think it was from her.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I want to talk with the localization team and get the rationale for that quote, because it's 100% not what he says in Japanese and that decision was made 7 years ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The final trial awaits.

I recommend Josette for the first group, and Renne for the second & third.

I also need two picks for something just afterwards. I'd probably choose Estelle and Joshua, but I don't have any hard recommendations as such.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I want to talk with the localization team and get the rationale for that quote, because it's 100% not what he says in Japanese and that decision was made 7 years ago.

it's a good quote

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm going to say Estelle for the first two, Olivier/Zin/Schera for the next three, and no opinion on the third.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

My only vote is Estelle for the third group.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Throwing in a vote for Zin and Schera for group 2. And Estelle and Renne for group 3.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Group 2 needs Renne and maybe Richard.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Something I never tested, but is Joshua required for all of the boss fights?

If so, I vote #1 Estelle and josette, #2 Renne and Richard, #3 Renne and Estelle

If not, I change #2 to olivier and schera and zin.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Group 1: Josette, no idea on the fourth person
Group 2: Zin and Schera
Group 3: Estelle and Renne

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Something I never tested, but is Joshua required for all of the boss fights?

Yes. You can't even enter the trial areas without the person they ask for, until you've cleared all the bosses.

NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I'll go Josette and Estelle first group, Zin and Schera second, Renne and Agate last.

Thinking about it, does the last one have unique dialogue for everyone like Cassius?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

1) Josette and Richard
2) Renne and Zin
3) Renne and Estelle

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Group One: Josette and Estelle
Group Two: Renne and Estelle
Group Three: Renne and Estelle

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
1) Josette and Schera because :shrug:
2) Renne and Estelle because there isn't enough room to take three people with two mandatories in place.
3) Reis and Agate because Reis's sister fought Loewe and Agate has a score to settle with him as well.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Can I vote for "whichever character will dunk on 2a the hardest?"

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
1) Josette and Richard
2) Renne and Estelle
3) Renne and Estelle

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
1) Josette and Richard
2) Zin and Schera
3) Estelle and Renne

I believe all of them have after-battle dialogue in the garden too. (except maybe Richard, I didn't take him along on my playthrough)

Erpy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 25, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, these games give their human opponents realistic HP. In fact, you tend to match the HP of the big human bosses from the previous games. And it's heavily implied (if not outright said) that these copies are exact, down to ability, strength, and technique.

Cassius Bright is tougher than a goddamn giant robot. Reverie didn't stand a chance.

Also on a related note, does anyone have a copy of that scene where Cassius doesn't let the party finish it off? Or at least a transcript? I'm just curious to see how it plays out differently.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I once speedran through the game with minimal BP and recorded that session. A transcript wouldn't do it justice because of how badly Cassius beats it down. The fact that the opponent is a robot rather than a living opponent gives the game an excuse to have him dismantle it in one of the most brutal beatdowns in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4HajjMuxs.

"Is that it?" indeed.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 25, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that EVERYONE brings Kloe and Olivier to that fight.

Thanks!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I don't consistently stick with them, actually, but this was a speedrun so I took the party with the highest DPS score due to how effective arts damage is against Reverie. During my last playthrough I actually picked the "canon" party of Schera and Olivier. (or rather the party depicted in the recap book that came with some versions of the Japanese version of SC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

• Locked thread