Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atsushogob posted:

If you just want intel, build, sieze or repair a sensor array to give you total vision of your opponents. Yes, it's a large investment, but so is throwing your fleet into the unknown.

I just don't have the patience. I was building one but I got bored of waiting with nothing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I reckon there should be some sort of monitoring station that costs like 5 energy to maintain and literally just has a sensor with a 50% sensor range boost or something. It could also trigger an event where the neighbour near it demands you dismantle it.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

PittTheElder posted:

Are there any popular starting location balance mods for multiplayer? It's kind of ridiculous when one person starts with 18 minerals in their home system while everyone else doesn't.

In the spirit of balance I made a mod to guarantee planets/moons are size 20-25 and just recently added a balanced start to it. Everyone gets 10 minerals, 10 energy and 4 of each research, guaranteed (and not much else). You also get a guaranteed terraforming candidate, just like Sol. Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922412696

If you don't want all your worlds to be big I'd be happy to do a spin-off just for balanced starts. I'm sort of surprised there isn't anything like that already.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

I reckon there should be some sort of monitoring station that costs like 5 energy to maintain and literally just has a sensor with a 50% sensor range boost or something. It could also trigger an event where the neighbour near it demands you dismantle it.

This would be genuinely brilliant. There's so little strategic depth on the map right now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

It's not the same, but you could theoretically colonize a lovely planet close to what you want monitored, and then add the observatory to the shipyard.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

New dev diary is up

Still no release date :sad:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Saw Wiz's twitter show they're in bug-squashing phase. Not too long now I'd imagine.

edit: something wrong with your link. Fixed: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-83-%C4%8Capek-feature-roundup-part-1.1040948/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

Though free Pops without Full Citizenship can still join factions, their support count for only 1/5th the amount that a Full Citizenship pop does when calculating the overall political strength (and thus also vote share) of a faction.
A decent compromise

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

A decent compromise

I feel it could be about 40% more generous.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame there's no additional mandates. I hope there's more of a dynamic relationship with factions - perhaps a happiness boost if their leader is elected.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Governors being sector wide is a great change.
Also this might be the end for President Fleet Conciousness.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I don't see any combat or war related changes. Hopefully in part 2 :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I don't see any combat or war related changes. Hopefully in part 2 :(

that'll probably be in a bigger dlc/patch than this one

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Habits are really cool but I'd like it if they were better fleshed out and integrated with planets.

Alpha mod has a cool take on it where you can build an equitorial shipyard mega structure which spawns two habitats as rings around the planet. One ring has a 200% ship construction speed but it still needs a starbase to build anything. If instead it was possible to build mega structures like this that have built-in ship building capacity but no weapons that would be cool.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Not really a fan of the max leader level change tbh.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

While waiting for 1.8, I picked up Master of Orion 4 again. This time around it's way better than my first impression was. Polished well, lots of charm. Sometimes it's nice to have a relatively simpler game.

Seems like most of the hate for it now is due to star-lanes, which I'm just completely fine with... going back to Ascendancy.

Haven't even reached mid-game yet though. Starting over as I relearn some systems/priorities.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god no more governor spam for my gigantic core sectors? EOTY right there.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Brother Entropy posted:

that'll probably be in a bigger dlc/patch than this one

Yeah, isn't this a 'story pack' not an 'expansion'?

I got the impression they're working on a bigger expansion DLC at the same time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Snarky comments and whingeing about level caps aside, I'm looking forward to this. Core sector being a governable sector is a good change.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Splicer posted:

Snarky comments and whingeing about level caps aside, I'm looking forward to this. Core sector being a governable sector is a good change.

i think that single-handly solves most of my leader problems in every game i've played

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, isn't this a 'story pack' not an 'expansion'?

I got the impression they're working on a bigger expansion DLC at the same time.

yeah i mean ill buy it because:

1) im retarded
2) i like paradox games
3) i have too much disposable income

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
With the major rework to robotics and the underlying game mechanics that support them, as well as the many other tweaks that have been made in Capek I don't know if I would consider this as something in the same vein as Levithans or Horizon Signal. They are some pretty major additions.

Not every expansion is going to touch every facet of the game.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Wiz posted:

PDX Forums Poster posted:

Did you fix the bug with curator scientist being the only one option in elections?
Yes, that bug and its variants are fixed.

Is this the end of Dr. Zib's reign? How will my Empire survive!?

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Taear posted:

I just don't have the patience. I was building one but I got bored of waiting with nothing to do.

I hear you there, the best part of finding a ruined sensor array isn't the fact it costs less, but that you don't have to go through all the steps to get it online.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
If you have a hive mind empire and create a vassal of your own species, what happens to those pops?

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

If you have a hive mind empire and create a vassal of your own species, what happens to those pops?

So long as the vassal is a hive mind government, they should just keep on trucking.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Demiurge4 posted:

Habits are really cool but I'd like it if they were better fleshed out and integrated with planets.

Alpha mod has a cool take on it where you can build an equitorial shipyard mega structure which spawns two habitats as rings around the planet. One ring has a 200% ship construction speed but it still needs a starbase to build anything. If instead it was possible to build mega structures like this that have built-in ship building capacity but no weapons that would be cool.

I hope the inevitable war expansion includes a Kuat Drive Yards (with the name filed off) entry level megastructure.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DatonKallandor posted:

Governors being sector wide is a great change.
Also this might be the end for President Fleet Conciousness.

President Fleet Consciousness owns though. The thousand thousand gods are so manifestly great that everyone is welcome to worship them, and anyone who does can lead. Accusations of ballot theft are a slur on President Fleet Consciousness' character.

I had an event I'd never seen before, the empire to the south of me are slaving despots who've been staring at me hungrily since the start of the game and one of their planets rebelled and asked for permission to join my empire. Not as vassals, the entire planet of freed slaves joined, it was great. I felt kind of bad though, there was a synthetic on the planet and I couldn't do anything for it. I've got the religious civics so no synths so no options for doing anything with them. I would have let it go somewhere else but that wasn't an option, my empire just has no way to deal with free-willed machines at all. I'd like to be able to set racial exclusion policies so they migrate elsewhere rather than get torn apart for scrap is that an option that I missed? Some of the other empires in my alliance have synthetics, I'd have gifted it to them if that was an option. Basically I just want to not be a dick to all the synths I'm going to end up with while liberating planets from the idiots to the south.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relevant Tangent posted:

I felt kind of bad though, there was a synthetic on the planet and I couldn't do anything for it. I've got the religious civics so no synths so no options for doing anything with them. I would have let it go somewhere else but that wasn't an option, my empire just has no way to deal with free-willed machines at all. I'd like to be able to set racial exclusion policies so they migrate elsewhere rather than get torn apart for scrap is that an option that I missed? Some of the other empires in my alliance have synthetics, I'd have gifted it to them if that was an option. Basically I just want to not be a dick to all the synths I'm going to end up with while liberating planets from the idiots to the south.
Don't worry, come 1.8 you can just rip out everything that made them sapient beings and use the hollow shells for labour, watch as they ape the motions of life, an unliving mockery of all they once were!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Relevant Tangent posted:

President Fleet Consciousness owns though. The thousand thousand gods are so manifestly great that everyone is welcome to worship them, and anyone who does can lead. Accusations of ballot theft are a slur on President Fleet Consciousness' character.

Hey I have no problem with President Fleet Consciousness, he's the kind of President you could have beer with. But I think he falls under the same bug that made Enclave Scientists eligible for elections.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Unintended feature. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Don't worry, come 1.8 you can just rip out everything that made them sapient beings and use the hollow shells for labour, watch as they ape the motions of life, an unliving mockery of all they once were!
I guess they won't be aware of it, but you can't have everything. :toot:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

Feels bad man. Otoh I'm going to war with every empire that isn't at least a little religious (saving my alliance members for last) so really they should have seen it coming and gotten an alliance together to stop me. Eventually I'll convert everyone who isn't a democracy as well.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Anticheese posted:

Unintended feature. :colbert:

Emergent behavior :science:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Psychotic Weasel posted:

With the major rework to robotics and the underlying game mechanics that support them, as well as the many other tweaks that have been made in Capek I don't know if I would consider this as something in the same vein as Levithans or Horizon Signal. They are some pretty major additions.

Not every expansion is going to touch every facet of the game.

I imagine that the majority of these features are going to be free, with the paid content being the new synthetic empires.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't have a list of paid vs. free content in the upcoming 1.8 patch (or know if a comprehensive list exists) but in each of the dev diaries Wiz has usually made it quite clear what is and isn't free among whatever he is talking about.

I don't think anything in today's diary was paid content since it involves adjusting fairly basic things that are part of the base game. But you are right in that synthetic empires and virtually every change to robots announced so far will be part of the DLC.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Relevant Tangent posted:

Feels bad man. Otoh I'm going to war with every empire that isn't at least a little religious (saving my alliance members for last) so really they should have seen it coming and gotten an alliance together to stop me. Eventually I'll convert everyone who isn't a democracy as well.
I still think everyone should be allowed citizenise synths and building them be what's ethic locked, but what can you do kill all non-science empires

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I hope giving more options to influence other empires is on the to-do list. Right now I'm having a hard time seeing any benefit to being in a federation with an empire versus just vassalizing them. If I'm in a federation I lose fleet cap, lose the ability to control my own foreign policy, and lose influence. If I vassalize someone I gain fleet cap, can control by own foreign policy and theirs, and gain influence. I ended up dissolving my federation and diplo-vassalizing my fox neighbors which fixed all of my problems.

It would be hilarious if actual diplomacy worked like Stellaris diplomacy:

:911: Greetings fellow NATO member. I couldn't help but notice that your population is few and your military is weak. To better assist me in our upcoming war against North Korea I would like to gift you Alaska. I think you'll find their citizens are the same species as you and also have a frozen climate preference.

:canada: Well that's a weird thing to say but we don't want Alaska and will veto your attempts to have our alliance invade a sovereign nation.

:911: Fine, then I just dissolved NATO.

:canada: You did what? That's a serious breach of-

:911: Now that NATO is gone I couldn't help but notice our shared borders, good diplomatic relations, and my much larger military. How would you feel about being our client state?

:canada: I suppose we have no choice.

:911: Great! Your first act as my client-state is to accept the annexation of Alaska. Now, please prep your forces for our upcoming invasion of Greenland.

:canada: Now we're attacking Greenland? Why?

:911: Greenland occupies a strategic spot I want, but if I were to annex it myself my citizens would become dumber and take longer to research the new iphone. Instead, we will invade Greenland and add it to your nation.

:canada: But we don't even want Greenland!

:911: That's what you said about Alaska!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Federations are more of a defensive than an offensive measure. You get access to multiple defense pacts that only cost 1 influence/month regardless of number, federation fleet ships are theoretically as good as the best components of each faction combined and don't cost any upkeep, and it's a lot easier to get research agreements and the like out of your partners. If you're already strong enough to carve up your neighbors without assistance the only benefit they give you is the bonus unity and you can easily double that with the supremacy perk that grants unity per rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Splicer posted:

I still think everyone should be allowed citizenise synths and building them be what's ethic locked, but what can you do kill all non-science empires

The Shroud is real. AI is a pipe-dream, the lack of resonance in the Shroud clearly proves that entire civilizations are genociding themselves in pursuit of a sterile Utopia. I am annoyed that I can't pursue genetic perfection along with mental perfection.

• Locked thread