Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fadam posted:

Yeah, but it's also been unlimited.

I'm well aware, having played Haley 2 for most of a decade now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
haley2 is fundamentally poorly designed and should probably be axed from the game altogether :shrug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

haley2 is fundamentally poorly designed and should probably be axed from the game altogether :shrug:

The change to her feat not auto-hitting every piece of support/solo on the table, and your caster, is both cool and good

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Every Cygnar player crying today probably danced on the grave of EE, or early Mk3 Madrak2, or Meat Mountain. Karma :colbert:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

S.J. posted:

The change to her feat not auto-hitting every piece of support/solo on the table, and your caster, is both cool and good

I think you're way too willing to give PP the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stuff like this.You said the same thing about the Caine 2 changes, and what do you know, he's garbage now.

Fyrbrand posted:

Every Cygnar player crying today probably danced on the grave of EE, or early Mk3 Madrak2, or Meat Mountain. Karma :colbert:

I haven't played Cygnar in like a year, but I thought all those changes were dumb, too.

This is a hot take I don't think anyone will agree with: I don't think broad, huge nerfs to units in miniature games are smart.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 24, 2017

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As a Cygnar player the only thing I'm upset about is that these changes aren't live yet, though since I don't own Kraye yet and haven't actually assembled Triumph I suppose I'll survive.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whether or not the change is good aside, it's a little dumb they didn't at least try and CID it, especially considering how important Haley 2 has been to Cygnar's competitive success.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Maybe its not Caine or Haley who is poo poo but the players who cry about the nerf.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Maybe its not Caine or Haley who is poo poo but the players who cry about the nerf.

Nah, its the people still complaining about her.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Not a productive or helpful comment.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Haley2 is way overplayed so good riddance

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

CID is also live. Falk the Shotgun Mage looks great, the new Convergence caster looks gross, and the Llaelese Resistance theme kind of makes me wish o had a Merc army. The Sons of the Tempest theme change is ok maybe? I still don't know that it's that good but progress has been made I think.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The new and improved theme forces (Pistoleer on all the gun mages holy cow) make me very excited for September.

I hope they run more of the existing themes through CiD again. Pistoleer on MHSF in Shadows please.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 24, 2017

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looking forward to the Llaelese one, especially with the prospect of a unit of Gun Mages with Sniper.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Forzelt posted:

Not a productive or helpful comment.

Maybe not but I've seen caine an haley push off newbies quite a bit from playing at all. The changes were needed an anyone throwing a fit has a poor attitude instead of going "ok how do my lists/tactics need to change?"

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Faithful Masses looks great, improved zealots and deliverers seem viable, the dragoon doesn't really fix paladins.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fadam posted:

I think you're way too willing to give PP the benefit of the doubt when it comes to stuff like this.You said the same thing about the Caine 2 changes, and what do you know, he's garbage now.

He still probably wouldn't be the best shot against Ghost Fleet pre-nerf, so I don't think he'd be getting played right now anyway, unless 2017 really changes the amount of infantry people are taking. In which case, he might be good enough come back regardless, too. He isn't garbage right now though, Cygnar's just got offensively good casters compared to most of their stable, like usual.

Pistoleer is insane though, that would convince me to start running that theme.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 24, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Even though I'm selling most of my skorne I'm keeping some of it, because for example I love the paint job on mammoth

Definitely considering getting jalaam to deadeye the mammoth.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
This Haley nerf has drawn me back to playing Warmachine. Been playing 40k for a while. It's a terrible game, but because you know it's all terrible going in, it's really fun. Warmachine had felt really oppressive, and playing against Haley 2 a lot often felt like, why am I bothering to try when my opponent can just, almost, accidentally win with that feat.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

S.J. posted:

He still probably wouldn't be the best shot against Ghost Fleet pre-nerf, so I don't think he'd be getting played right now anyway, unless 2017 really changes the amount of infantry people are taking. In which case, he might be good enough come back regardless, too. He isn't garbage right now though, Cygnar's just got offensively good casters compared to most of their stable, like usual.

Pistoleer is insane though, that would convince me to start running that theme.

Why wouldn't pre-nerf Caine 2 be good against Ghost Fleet? Even with no RFP he has good magic damage output and a strong true sight assassination threat for Deneghra. Ghost Fleet didn't push him out of the meta, he just sucks now.

What'll be interesting is to see if the Haley 2 nerfs are enough to kick her out of 99% of Cygnar pairings. Even with a bad feat she's still significantly better than basically the rest of the casters in faction. I can see Cygnar's winrate dropping, but I can't see lists becoming any more diverse unless people decide to galaxy brain it up and play Haley 3 more, but I guess we'll see.

!Klams posted:

This Haley nerf has drawn me back to playing Warmachine. Been playing 40k for a while. It's a terrible game, but because you know it's all terrible going in, it's really fun. Warmachine had felt really oppressive, and playing against Haley 2 a lot often felt like, why am I bothering to try when my opponent can just, almost, accidentally win with that feat.

One caster in one faction was enough to drive you out of the game? Does your whole store play Cygnar?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fadam posted:

Why wouldn't pre-nerf Caine 2 be good against Ghost Fleet? Even with no RFP he has good magic damage output and a strong true sight assassination threat for Deneghra. Ghost Fleet didn't push him out of the meta, he just sucks now.

What'll be interesting is to see if the Haley 2 nerfs are enough to kick her out of 99% of Cygnar pairings. Even with a bad feat she's still significantly better than basically the rest of the casters in faction. I can see Cygnar's winrate dropping, but I can't see lists becoming any more diverse unless people decide to galaxy brain it up and play Haley 3 more, but I guess we'll see.

One caster in one faction was enough to drive you out of the game? Does your whole store play Cygnar?

When I started out there were 4 of us, and the Cygnar player basically always played her against me. He was also the guy who was most often available, so of my first say, 50 games I'd say maybe 20 were against her. Then he quit, and we got loads more players in our group, but then he came back, and playing her again just felt like such a chore.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Maybe, but I guarantee that there are casters in your faction he hates to play against too. Haley2 was quite strong, but she's definitely not unique when it comes to being miserable to play against. I don't see how Haley 2 is any more of a "negative play experience" than what Kreoss1 or Sorscha1 can do with their feats. Or what Oracles and Ghost fleet do. Or literally basically every competitively viable caster.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

fadam posted:

Maybe, but I guarantee that there are casters in your faction he hates to play against too. Haley2 was quite strong, but she's definitely not unique when it comes to being miserable to play against. I don't see how Haley 2 is any more of a "negative play experience" than what Kreoss1 or Sorscha1 can do with their feats. Or what Oracles and Ghost fleet do. Or literally basically every competitively viable caster.

Kreoss1 and Sorscha1 have feats that can be shaken which means you can do something about them and not have the entire melee part of your army cut out of the game. Steady is a thing, and some models are also cold-immune.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They can be mitigated, but they also come with benefits that Haley's feat doesn't. On balance i'd say they're roughly at equivalent power to Haley's feat. Or at least they were until Haley's feat lost the ability to ever effect an entire 10-man unit lmao. I can't imagine any Haley 2 player wouldn't swap her feat for any of the other control feats immediately if they could, now.

They honestly probably just should have made it shakable. It would be mostly worse than similar feats, but with a huge range and a better caster backing it up. It's too bad they don't have some kind of testing environment they could try different changes to models out in.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

S.J. posted:

I think it's a good idea. Makes her an anti battlegroup list caster instead of just a metal middle finger on a plastic base

Woo Marnier buff!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

fadam posted:

Why wouldn't pre-nerf Caine 2 be good against Ghost Fleet?

That's not what I said.

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.

fadam posted:

In my opinion, making her feat shakeable would have been a much larger nerf. The new feat is still strong into BG heavy lists (or lists with lots of points in single models), but worse into infantry. A shakeable feat is worthless into BG heavy lists but better into infantry. Trade offs....

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Arguing Haley2 feat is not in a class of its own is not a hill to die on.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Being good into jacks is stronger these days

S.J.
May 19, 2008

And you can still limit unit movement quite a bit by feating on the commander in a number of situations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

fadam posted:

They can be mitigated, but they also come with benefits that Haley's feat doesn't. On balance i'd say they're roughly at equivalent power to Haley's feat. Or at least they were until Haley's feat lost the ability to ever effect an entire 10-man unit lmao. I can't imagine any Haley 2 player wouldn't swap her feat for any of the other control feats immediately if they could, now.

And as a sometime-Barnabas player I'd swap for the new version of Haley's feat fairly happily. I get to shut down the entire enemy battlegroup for a turn. Including gargossles and battle engines. The idea that knockdown was at roughly equivalent power to Hayley2's feat simply doesn't hold water.

Even melee infantry still gets hosed by Haley2's feat unless they are cold blooded enough to kill their own unit commanders (and that has downsides against Officers). You normally have enough for one model in each unit...

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
From the merc Facebook group;

No oneeee steals souls like Gastonne!

Runs and guns like Gastonne!

Gains stealth, increases range or shield guards like Gastonne!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fadam posted:

Maybe, but I guarantee that there are casters in your faction he hates to play against too.

Nah, I play Rhulic and Cephalyx.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

From the merc Facebook group;

No oneeee steals souls like Gastonne!

Runs and guns like Gastonne!

Gains stealth, increases range or shield guards like Gastonne!

Yessss

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
The Haley2 Nerf is fine and I've been playing her for the last 6 months so I don't say that as an anti Cygnar thing.

A note on it though, it's now worded as a pulse so she can feat on 6-8 models and move away to safety. It also stops shenanigans like apparition, TK and slipstream moving models on the edge of her control and being unaffected by the feat altogether. Once they are tagged they are affected.

People who don't like it need to learn to play the game and not just move up, feat and get 2 turns in a row because it was boring and dumb.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

fadam posted:

Why yes, a shakeable foc 6 control range and LoS dependant feat is as powerful as an unshakable foc 9 one. I mean, come on. Sorscha can get a few things in her feat with good positionning and that's it. H2 cover half the table with hers without even trying.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Iceclaw posted:

Why yes, a shakeable foc 6 control range and LoS dependant feat is as powerful as an unshakable foc 9 one. I mean, come on. Sorscha can get a few things in her feat with good positionning and that's it. H2 cover half the table with hers without even trying.

I mean obviously a lot of players and certainly privateer press agree that she was dumb and these guys are fine because she's getting the nerf and they're not being looked at.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yes, but the units Haley feats on don't become stationary, which as an effect is several times stronger than just having to forfeit movement or activation.

Post nerfs, her feat was probably roughly equivalent to the other hard control feats in the game. Now it's pretty worthless against anything but battlegroup heavy lists.

!Klams posted:

I mean obviously a lot of players and certainly privateer press agree that she was dumb and these guys are fine because she's getting the nerf and they're not being looked at.

Yeah, PP never makes mistakes and they've never made hasty balance decisions just to placate crybabies.

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 25, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Watching Kreoss 1 play into anti-KD tech is depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I haven't seen kreoss 1 on the table in years. I saw sorscha1 once last year and I killed her top of two with some eliminators.