Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

baquerd posted:

Interesting, how do you render the fat properly? Seems odd to still spend a lot of time on the stove top with an extended sous vide period on top of that.

The fat cap's so think and insulating you can just leave it fat-side down in a hot pan and render the hell out of it without overlooking the meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I thought the lovely flavor was just a product of burning butane, but it looks like it combusts into the same H2O/CO2 as propane does.

Complete combustion of any hydrocarbon yields water and CO2, but unless you're mixing the fuel and air in the exact correct ratio you're not getting complete combustion.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Dumb question, but are there any meal delivery services that have sous vide cooking options? No real intention of using it, just a curiosity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you mean "ingredient and recipe delivery", then I don't know of any.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys are there any meal services that deliver hungry man frozen microwave dinners

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah you should try to sous-vide it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Trader Joe's will deliver their vacuum-sealed frozen fish/meat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They will what?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Norns posted:

Three crabs fish sauce is the loving best
Three Crabs is okay, but try some Red Boat if you get a chance. Out of the brands that you have any chance of finding in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of an American grocery store it's the one I like best for most uses.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SubG posted:

Three Crabs is okay, but try some Red Boat if you get a chance. Out of the brands that you have any chance of finding in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of an American grocery store it's the one I like best for most uses.

I'll grab some. Pretty sure ive seen it. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Subjunctive posted:

They will what?
At least in New York City, Trader Joe's will deliver. If they don't in your area, you could try taskrabbit or something if you're really committed to the idea

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I left the US, but I feel like I missed out on the experience now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

namaste faggots posted:

Guys are there any meal services that deliver hungry man frozen microwave dinners

https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Classic-Fried-Chicken-Ounce/dp/B00B04D6YM

That said, I just got told that I can sous vide eggs in their shell which I did not realize

What other cool sous vide applications are there besides just, like, meat? I already have a smoker so if I'm going to low and slow ribs or other meat I'm gonna cook them that way, so if I'm gonna buy a sous vide setup I need additional reasons to rationalize it beyond meats.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Uhhh I really like sous vide asparagus?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mi-cuit salmon.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You can sv hollandaise.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Classic-Fried-Chicken-Ounce/dp/B00B04D6YM

That said, I just got told that I can sous vide eggs in their shell which I did not realize

What other cool sous vide applications are there besides just, like, meat? I already have a smoker so if I'm going to low and slow ribs or other meat I'm gonna cook them that way, so if I'm gonna buy a sous vide setup I need additional reasons to rationalize it beyond meats.

You can do all kinds of weird poo poo but it's mostly with meat/proteins.
You can also do "precision baking" and make weird pastries and custards and stuff. People were proofing dough and making sous vide pizza in this thread recently.
You can make yogurt or weaponize and farm other types of bacteria.
You can pasteurize chicken and eat it raw. Hell, pasteurize a whole bone-in chicken and pretend you're a wolf. Invite the in laws over. Live a little.
You can make Starbucks style egg bites with that weirdly rich moist cakey texture. Just need some jars or lidded ramekins.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah the egg bites are really good. I make huge batches of them

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Mi-cuit salmon.

That's the good poo poo.

Sous vide carrots are probably the best way to cook carrots

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

185 salt peper butter for 15 min for carrots? Haven't done those yet.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I gotta say my recent favorite thing is some 2" thick lean-rear end pork chomps cooked to like 140 and finished under the broiler with a teriyaki-style glaze just blackening around the edges. Sprankle with some sesame seeds so they meet their flair quota. poo poo is so good. I suck at cooking chops by any other method though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's the good poo poo.

Sous vide carrots are probably the best way to cook carrots

Better than broiling with a little char??! Feh, I say!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

Better than broiling with a little char??! Feh, I say!

You can do both!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

You can do both!

But the latter truly makes the former unnecessary. Broiling cooks them greatly and adds the char.
This isn't a mindphlux "why would you even?!" Post.

I'm just saying. The texture, the level of firmness, the outer char... it's all handled in the broiler. What's SV even bringing to the table?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I've never tried carrots in the broiler. So it gets the insides tender?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Feenix posted:

But the latter truly makes the former unnecessary. Broiling cooks them greatly and adds the char.
This isn't a mindphlux "why would you even?!" Post.

I'm just saying. The texture, the level of firmness, the outer char... it's all handled in the broiler. What's SV even bringing to the table?

The most carrot-tasting carrots you'll ever have. I love charred carrots, but sous-vide carrots are like carrots squared. If you want carrots, sous vide, if you want a tasty charred vegetable, broil.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, I've never tried carrots in the broiler. So it gets the insides tender?

Without getting overly soggy. Unless you overcook too long, yeah.

[Ed] Loutre: fair enough... :) I'll try it one day.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Sweet potatoes benefit a lot from sous vide -- you can keep them at that temperature that brings out the sugar molecules in them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Norns posted:

Uhhh I really like sous vide asparagus?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

:suicide:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

You can sv hollandaise.

Or you can use serious eat's foolproof 2 minute hollandaise recipe and instead viddle a steak while you eat your perfect hollandaise with your entree.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hopper posted:

Or you can use serious eat's foolproof 2 minute hollandaise recipe and instead viddle a steak while you eat your perfect hollandaise with your entree.

But this is by kenji. Am I going to get a stroke from all the salt

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

USE KOSHER SALT

Like how many times do people need to say not all salt is the same?

From the side of the box

Norns fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 24, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

USE KOSHER SALT

Like how many times do people need to say not all salt is the same?

From the side of the box

The side of that box is ridiculously misleading and underestimates. Weight is the only way to be sure.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I understand that as well. It's just people are using loving table salt in his recipes and wondering why they are so salty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Norns posted:

I understand that as well. It's just people are using loving table salt in his recipes and wondering why they are so salty.

IIRC, people use kosher salt as Kenji's recipes say and many posters over the years have complained that Kenji's dishes were still too salty in general

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Fair enough then. I've just never had an issue with any of his recipes, and always use coarse kosher.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hopper posted:

I like how the idea of using a blender to make emulsions is somehow now always attributed to Our Lord And Savior López-Alt when it's literally in Mastering the Art of French Cooking from 1961 and wasn't exactly an original idea then.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Because anything in an old cookbook is an old wives' tale, where anything Kenji posts is scientific high-sodium fact, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean ones widely available on the internet and the other is a really old loving cookbook that most new cooks probably aren't going to look at even if it is an amazing book