Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FORMER Prime Minister Tony Abbott has finally confessed that he was passed out, drunk, on the night he should have voted on Kevin Rudd’s GFC bailout measures in 2009. (apologies for Herald Sun article) (I do enjoy that they went and dug up the most unfortunate drunk-looking parliament photo of him they could find, though)

Man, I wonder how many things his blatant alcoholism has saved us from over the years.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
old photo, vanya isn't fat anymore and asphyxious the quail got eaten by an eastern quoll

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

See the above about Chinese money. They're afraid not repeating CCP party line will have it all go to New Zealand or summat.

Lol no. They'll just go to another Australian University that didn't. If you think for a second that Australian Vice Chancellors would work together against their own personal interest, you're loving high.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How to Australians: be bad

https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/900618592877633536
https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/900618979391045632

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

jfc Australians...

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Reachtel = olds though?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

http://www.aec.gov.au

Make sure you're enrolled correctly so you can vote for gay marriage.

You've got till midnight to make sure it's all cool.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Chris "The Fixer" Pyne coming and sounding like a 1/4 of a reasonable being.

Also throwin some shade at Abbot because he said it was about religious freedoms

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
My dad who listens to talkback radio says he's voting no because of "the bullying" and I hope the fact he hasn't updated his address deets since we moved house makes him ineligible to vote.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Oh my god a whole senate re run would be hilarious

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

the old ceremony posted:

old photo, vanya isn't fat anymore and asphyxious the quail got eaten by an eastern quoll
eastern quoll best thing ever (sorry for your loss).

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
ReachTEL “poll”

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

Oh my god a whole senate re run would be hilarious

Honestly anyone who pulled that poo poo instead of just running a full early election in the face of the current loving dual citizenship circus is going to get the electoral crucifixion they deserve.

So yeah I hope he does it, delivers Labor an absolute majority, and renders the cross bench clowns irrelevant for long enough that they gently caress off back to obscurity.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Reachtel these days is a robopoll of home phone numbers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Reachtel these days is a robopoll of home phone numbers.

Lol they should be legally required to publish a disclaimer with every poll result that it's heavily unrepresentative and basically useless, unless the only opinions you care about are those of the bourgeois boome-OH.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

snoremac posted:

My dad who listens to talkback radio says he's voting no because of "the bullying" and I hope the fact he hasn't updated his address deets since we moved house makes him ineligible to vote.

:sever:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

FORMER Prime Minister Tony Abbott has finally confessed that he was passed out, drunk, on the night he should have voted on Kevin Rudd’s GFC bailout measures in 2009. (apologies for Herald Sun article) (I do enjoy that they went and dug up the most unfortunate drunk-looking parliament photo of him they could find, though)

the Herald Sun posted:

“It was a late night sitting, against all OH&S rules as you can imagine,” he said.

Shoulda joined the union, mate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
At least three Melbourne doctors are being investigated by the Victorian Health Department and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency for supporting the anti-vaccination movement, Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt told media on Thursday.

"If it is accurate that there are registered doctors who are advocating an anti-vaccination position, then they will have the full force of the authorities come down on them," he said.

"But let us be absolutely clear, there will be no sympathy, none at all from the government if the authorities take the strongest possible decisions.

Mr Hunt said he was "astonished that there are any people who have been through medical degrees who would ...stoop to the level of supporting the anti-vaccination movement".

A Melbourne doctor filmed boasting about exempting 600 children from vaccinations "must be stopped", Victoria's Acting Health Minister Martin Foley says.

Dr John Piesse has been filmed speaking at a Melbourne anti-vaccination rally about how he gets children exemptions from compulsory vaccinations.

He is one of three Melbourne doctors being investigated by the Victorian Health Department and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

But Victoria's Acting Health Minister, Martin Foley, said it was "not good enough" that Dr Piesse was still being investigated after concerns were raised about him in August 2016.

"It is deeply disappointing and concerning that after twelve months an investigation into Dr Piesse's practice has not yet been concluded by AHPRA," Mr Foley said on Thursday.

"Anyone who purports to support the quackery of the anti-vaccination movement places the lives of children and the health of the wider community at risk."

Dr Lorraine Baker, the Australia Medical Association Victoria president, agreed.

"We would hope AHPRA [the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency] would expedite their investigation into these doctors.

"We remain concerned that in many cases the investigations that take place through AHPRA seem unnecessarily long.

In a video from an anti-vaccination event published by the Herald Sun, Dr Piesse explains how he tries to beat the "no jab no play laws".

"I am a doctor who has been working hard for 18 months to try and help parents get exemption from 'vaccinated pain for vaccinated play', with mixed success," he says.

"You need a doctor's letter of contrary indication in the right form, provided the doctor has got the qualifications required for 'no vax no pay', or is a registered medical practitioner for 'no vax no play'."

Melbourne surgeon and vaccination advocate Dr John Cunningham told 3AW some doctors had fallen into a "cult" of "misinformation".

"What I believe these doctors are doing is signing a form saying these children have a medical contraindication to vaccination... which is very rare to have," he said.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I mean not that unis should ever be compelled to fall in line with national stances, but this is really a case where the Uni should just take advantage of being able to simply point at Australia's official stance on Taiwan and say 'deal with it'. And move on to the online harassment policy.

The Australian official stance on Taiwan is that it's not an independent country though :confused:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

At least three Melbourne doctors are being investigated by the Victorian Health Department and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency for supporting the anti-vaccination movement, Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt told media on Thursday.

guillotine

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The Australian official stance on Taiwan is that it's not an independent country though :confused:

Goddamn, you're right. Huh, I assumed. :silent:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

starkebn posted:

guillotine

death by polio

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Don Dongington posted:

Lol they should be legally required to publish a disclaimer with every poll result that it's heavily unrepresentative and basically useless, unless the only opinions you care about are those of the bourgeois boome-OH.

“This sample is biased towards people who still have land lines and are happy to use them to talk to a computer for 10 minutes during dinner time”

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MikeJF posted:

Goddamn, you're right. Huh, I assumed. :silent:
Basically if you recognise Taiwan in any capacity, PRC will refuse any kind of diplomatic contact with you. There is only one China and Taiwan is part of it /ccp

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CrazyTolradi posted:

Basically if you recognise Taiwan in any capacity, PRC will refuse any kind of diplomatic contact with you. There is only one China and Taiwan is part of it /ccp

Hopefully the Chinese economy implodes before too long and nations start to feel safe calling them out on their bullshit. The amount of butthurt when Trump spoke to Taiwan's president was hilarious. Of course with 30% of our exports going to China I don't expect our government to do anything too dramatic any time soon.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

gay picnic defence posted:

Hopefully the Chinese economy implodes before too long and nations start to feel safe calling them out on their bullshit. The amount of butthurt when Trump spoke to Taiwan's president was hilarious. Of course with 30% of our exports going to China I don't expect our government to do anything too dramatic any time soon.
Considering this has been a thing since before the days of Nixon, don't expect it to change anytime soon, even if China's economy collapses. One China is literally in PRC's constitution and if you don't at least recognise or respect PRC's claim to One China, they're happy to tell you to gently caress off until you do.

Even if there's an economic collapse in China, PRC still has a very sizable military force and will still remain a political force that is starting to push ahead with it's agenda in areas such as the South and East China Seas and the unresolved border conflicts with India.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Guilty of Being Aboriginal (SBS)

More or less summed up by this image within it:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

starkebn posted:

guillotine

A Melbourne GP facing suspension by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency has vowed to continue helping anti-vax parents sidestep "no jab, no play" laws until he is deregistered.

Dr John Piesse was advised by the regulator on Thursday afternoon that it was proposing to suspend his medical registration. He was given four days to provide a written response in his defence.

The GP, who has previously been reprimanded by the regulator, is unrepentant, saying he has been "deluged" by parents wanting to avoid getting their children immunised.

Dr Piesse, who works from the Natural Healing Centre in Mitcham and the Natural Institute of Integrative Medicine in Hawthorn, said he had seen about 450 children since late 2015 but did not provide a letter of exemption for every one.

"I have tried to help," he said.

He insists he is doing nothing illegal.

When asked if he would continue advising anti-vax parents, he replied: "I will ... until they basically deregister me ... unless I can be persuaded that what I am doing is wrong.

"This is a matter of principle. You have got a public health policy which is causing harm ..."

Dr Piesse and his colleague, naturopath Nerida James, attended a screening of the controversial anti-vaccination film Vaxxed in Hawthorn this month, where he told participants there were ways in which parents could get vaccination exemptions and he knew of other doctors who were providing them.

"There are a few who are doing it as well, but they will get attacked as well," he said.

"The system cannot tolerate doctors who don't follow the government's line."

It is understood complaints are set to be lodged with the regulator over two other doctors in suburban practices who are also involved in promoting an anti-vaccination message.

Under "no jab, no play" legislation introduced in 2016, childcare services and kindergartens must first obtain evidence that a child is fully immunised for their age, or on a catch-up vaccination program, or is unable to be fully immunised for medical reasons, before enrolling them.

Many parents involved in the anti-vaccination movement fear a link between the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and autism. Such a link was first suggested in 1998 by UK researcher Andrew Wakefield.

His research, which was based on only 12 children, has since been disproved and retracted.

Victoria's Health Department first raised concerns with the regulator over Dr Piesse after he wrote to the Health Minister in August 2016 to apply for exemptions.

Acting Health Minister Martin Foley said he was concerned the investigation into Dr Piesse was yet to be completed.

"It is deeply disappointing and concerning that after 12 months an investigation into Dr Piesse's practice has not yet been concluded by AHPRA. It's not good enough," he said.

"By failing to vaccinate their children, parents are putting their kids and others in our community at risk of terrible diseases or death.

"Practitioners who pedal ... misinformation about immunisation are a menace and put the health and safety of children at great risk – they must be stopped."

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said he was astonished to learn registered doctors would "stoop to the level of supporting the anti-vaccination movement".

"Vaccination saves lives and it protects lives. It's safe, as the Chief Medical Officer and all of the body of research points out, and if it is accurate that there are registered doctors who are advocating an anti-vaccination position then they will have the full force of the authorities come down on them," he said.

"There will be no sympathy, none at all, from the government if the authorities take the strongest possible decisions."

Medical Board of Australia chairman Dr Joanna Flynn, said the regulator could not comment on individuals but that all registered medical practitioners were held to account against the board's code of conduct.

"The board expects registered doctors to practise the profession safely and ethically," she said.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

"I have tried to help," he said.

He insists he is doing nothing illegal.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/aug/25/changing-colonial-statues-is-stalinist-says-malcolm-turnbull
Malcolm Turnbull has said Australia should not change statues of James Cook or early colonial figures because the rewriting of history is tantamount to Stalinism.

In an interview with 3AW on Friday, Turnbull was asked whether he agreed with Stan Grant that we should edit statues, like the Hyde Park statue of James Cook.

“Absolutely not,” the prime minister said. “I am an admirer of Stan’s but he is dead wrong here.
Stan 'Stalin' Grant.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can anyone guess where all the Stalin statues are now despite him being one of the most prominent Russian historical figures and arguable the second founder of their modern nation?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

Can anyone guess where all the Stalin statues are now despite him being one of the most prominent Russian historical figures and arguable the second founder of their modern nation?

In that goldeneye level?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Some are there, but the rest are blown up or in other museums (that park is part of the Tretyakov gallery now).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Several students at the Australian National University in Canberra have been injured and a man arrested after what appears to be a random attack.

Police were called to the ANU campus on Friday morning after a man allegedly walked into a classroom about 9.15am and and assaulted up to four people.

if only those students had guns they could have fought back

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Who are the real terrorists?

Barcelona Mum faces enormous surgery bill because travel insurance won't pay out.

quote:

FRIENDS of murdered Sydney schoolboy Julian Cadman are frantically raising money for his parents as it can be revealed Julian’s mother is facing years of surgery that may not be covered by insurance. Andrew Cadman remains at the hospital bedside of his wife Jumarie “Jom” Cadman as the couple face the devastating task of bringing their boy’s body home, with the grief stricken family hit by a second blow that Jumarie will be facing years of recovery. Mr Cadman’s employer and friend of 25 years, Scott Bowman, said Mr Cadman was a hardworking family man, and that he had launched a GoFundMe page in an effort to help his mate.
(Source - Don't click http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...20d7a0c53186f2c)

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you capitalism working as intended.

They should name and shame the company involved.

Or perhaps this is the real terrorist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2esw8U2NENo

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

snoremac posted:

Bullshit. He's voting No because he agrees with all the crap being said about gay people, but knows everyone will call him out on it so uses "the bullying!" as a lame excuse.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Barnaby Joyce receives second-highest nominations for New Zealander of the Year

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

No wonder they closed down the Backburner. How can it compete when these stories are real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

90,000 people have added themselves to the electoral roll ahead of same-sex marriage survey

• Locked thread