Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Footage from last nights bar citizen

https://i.imgur.com/eEdUeFm.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

beet we gonna discord live stream sc during the crobbo presentation tomorrow?

The stream is at 3 pm my time so i was thinking of either streaming before it or right after, yeah.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would've written "Nice Meltdown" but being limited to 1 post per 10 minutes kinda fucks with that.
I gotcha covered with my weekly Reddit post.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

RubberJohnny posted:

Big list of bugs from Day 1 and 2:
  • Falling appears to be a set speed, no acceleration to terminal velocity
  • Falling characters don't seem to get locked to a ships physics grid
  • Ships physics grids still end up grabbing other ships and bits of debris in the environment
  • Gravity seems to only affect character models, not ships, they can hang in the air while powered down
That's just the stuff that isn't turned off because it was too buggy, like Quantum Travel, MobiGlas, NPCs, Missions, Cargo, etc.

The netcode is the best though, even with a dedicated line, a powerful server right next to them, players are desyncing, appearing as invisible, or not synchronising animations on other players screens - something is just fundamentally hosed there.

This is all worse when you realise Space Engineers has had this working as perfect as you could like since launch. Including on planets. With seamless transitions. And later working in multiplayer. Hey, at least they have the same FPS issues between them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HycoCam posted:

I gotcha covered with my weekly Reddit post.

Let's rub!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

"P-please... Kill m-me...."

This is an atrocious character. :(

GG CIG. Redefining fidelity.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

but this is too emotive

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

Surely a gun of that size, firing a large explosive projectile, even if some sort of railgun, would knock the operator down if they were firing while standing? Conservation of momentum is a thing.

Honestly at this point arguing about this sort of thing is like pointing out a stain on the table cloth when the house is on fire. The rail gun, while stupid, overly large and full of unrealistic physics, actually works in game; it shoots a projectile and kills a commando in the blast radius. That puts it ahead of most things in SC.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

game's not even a game, so what

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

just like the card game is not really a card game, it is just a vehicle to get chris roberts more money

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

just like the card game is not really a card game, it is just a vehicle to get chris roberts more money

I can't wait for Chris Roberts to go back to Hollywood with his Star Citizen dollars and make another D-lister comedy

also I'm sad nobody took a look at that absurd loving Spectrum commercial I posted earlier, it's really a work of art

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Star Citizen: it is just a vehicle to get chris roberts more money

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Earlier in the thread someone (I forget who) said that they couldn't understand who people could still be backing the game. BeerfortheBeerGod gave a heartfelt answer about how hard it was to let go, having started out believing the promises. Part of why I keep obsessively following this game and this thread is that I am completely fascinated by this phenomenon. How people can look at THE EXACT SAME evidence, agree on what they are seeing at the most basic level, and still disagree about what they are looking at.

Consider the balsawood flight model. Backers on Reddit aren't happy with it either. Why would they be? It's janky and looks nothing like a sim. In this thread, the consensus is that this is because there is no flight model. We're looking at a bunch of ship models with no clip turned on. How do they see the exact same thing Reddit?

They see a game with completely functional physics and flight models that need a few numbers tweaked. The problem isn't that there's no sim to speak of, it's that the thrusters on the ships are too powerful. Seriously. That's the story. The explanation shows up in a few different threads.

So that's that. That's how they can still back the game.

Every game that's mid development has flaws and it takes a keen eye to separate the project-killers from the stuff that just needs some attention and care. If you are a backer you believe that Chris has the track record and vision to have that keen eye. Everything flows from there. If you don't see evidence of stuff you were promised, it must be because of some trivial but as yet unfixed issue. Otherwise you're a fool whose been lied to all this time.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 25, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's so cute how they think it's the thrusters and not the flight model from descent 1 :downs:

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Tell me who I am. Who do you think I am, what makes you think that, and how can you be so sure without proof? I'm a lowly backer and that's all you need to know.

I know whom you are, and were you reside, amongst other things :smug:

Coulda/Shoulda used a better proxy service that doesn't keep logs... :milk:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:eng101:

:eng99:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

Whatever is going on here, stop the 'doxxing chicken' please.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

eek

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Whatever is going on here, stop the 'doxxing chicken' please.

:tipshat:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
CIG's channel just put this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik9FwfKaNM

"Burndown Episode 3"

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

I am sure whatever they show on Friday will deliver the cinematic sizzle we've all come to expect from CIG -- even when not knowing what to expect.

Perhaps it's the Squadron hype reel, and will let Roberts tap in to the huge reserves of good will and star power that Hamill and the gang enjoy. It would make for a wonderful distraction if Roberts needs to bolster eroding confidence resulting from the 3.0 delays... It seems like a great move if Roberts wants to talk past his own increasingly frustrated backer base to the profane masses who haven't yet bought in.

Yet if it is that, what a desperate non-sequitur it would be. Chris was so annoyingly silent about Squadron for much of the year, making 3.0 their central focus. If he changes the subject to Squadron on the one year anniversary of the 3.0 announcement, there would be no avoiding the dire subtext and frankly, the insult of it to longtime backers. He's never minded that, of course, he's making his game, for him -- the backers are just yesterday's money. He owes them nothing more than to be true to his vision, and if they've forgotten that, well, he can always find new ones....

Then again, maybe Roberts will focus on selling what 3.x will be. Maybe it's a show reel of all they want backers to hold out hope for as the indeterminable march to deliver the first 25% of last year's 3.0 slogs painfully, boringly forward?

This, too, is problematic - but at least he wouldn't seem like he was desperately changing the subject. Instead the dissonance would emerge from the bleak, unavoidable deja vu-iness of it all. Hyping 3.x, however he might choose to do it, would see Roberts engaged in his most brazen act of self-parody thus far. It would show just how completely blind he is to the ludicrous optics of his words and actions. Only a man in an impenetrable bubble of delusory self-regard would think it reasonable rather than an absurd act of Chutzpahphrenia -- yet he might just well by such a man.

I'm reminded of the plot of Infocom's final title in the Enchanter series, the painfully difficult Spellbreaker. The first game, Enchanter, sees the player as a novice user of magic. By its end, having defeated a powerful Warlock, the player is welcomed into the company of his wizardly betters. The second game, Sorcerer, has the more powerful magic-using player casting greater spells, working mightier works in attempts to save his mentor from a powerful demon.

Spellbreaker sees the player now the head of the very guild itself. He can ascend no higher, yet it is against this backdrop that the very forces of magic itself begin crumbling. All former practitioners are dispensed with early in the game, save the player, and by a shadowy figure of unknown motive and power. Over the course of the game, as magic falters around you, the enemy eventually becomes clear -- he is a shadowy photonegative of yourself. All the actions taken to advance your power also served to increase the power of your doppelgänger enemy and the instability of magic is the byproduct of your embrace of it.

This may seem a great tangent, and if so I apologize, yet it feels to me like this tale is not unlike Roberts arc. At the height of his enchanted ascent, his magic is faltering. One spellcast succeeding, the next fizzling out, and the shadowy enemy has finally come into crisply detailed view -- and it is he. Perhaps he will go onstage again, display his wizardry, and enchant the masses yet again. Or perhaps his wand will crackle with sparks and fizzle out. Either way, there will be no avoiding the unwelcome presence sharing the stage with him this year. It is himself cloaked in the shadows of Gamescom 2016, and his very presence threatens the magic Chris might attempt to perform.

The one act I least expect is one that might improbably help. It is a spell of only two words, words when earnestly spoken have powers of to renew and clear away shadows for a season of proving. However simple they are to utter, I have seen their remarkable curative potency in lives around me and my own. But only those who can see a fool staring back at them in a mirror can say them, and I fear they are beyond a man like Chris.

Here they are, would that you could say them and mean them, Chris.

"I'm sorry."

:drat:

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

"Burndown Episode 3"

I just skipped around a little bit. Is this ALL art and UI work. Shameful.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

"Burndown Episode 3"

Definitely a crowd control spell.

Chris will be casting "Smoke and Mirrors" tonight.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

"Burndown Episode 3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik9FwfKaNM&t=326s

So I'm testing our highly complex suspension collision and physics system before we've mastered the on/off switch here at CIG.

...and then he's like "there's my bug!" like he didn't just showcase a colossally broken game engine with no hope of recovery.

I'm not kidding. I'm a hobby game designer and if anything in my game did poo poo like that I would start loving crying because I would KNOW that something is fundamentally hosed in my scripting.

Crazypoops fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 25, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone asked how Subsumption AI toons will interact with hundreds / thousands of players at the same time?

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Has anyone asked how Subsumption AI toons will interact with hundreds / thousands of players at the same time?

Maybe something like in the division game ?

But then again seeing as they can only get 8 or 12 players per instance before the server farts then i doubt it will be much of an issue.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

man I'm making a lot of never forget posts but never forget
https://i.imgur.com/UG7z54e.mp4

I never forgot!

I always loved the middle loading system because it truly was another epitome of over engineered lies that would never see the light of day.

But still folks believed it. :)

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

In a just world I would be able to blast that room with a BFG and have to swim out of a pool of intestines and brain matter.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I never forgot!

I always loved the middle loading system because it truly was another epitome of over engineered lies that would never see the light of day.

But still folks believed it. :)

Only just noticed but only 2 bombs are being held when moved along the carrier belt before being loaded into the weapon, the rest have nothing holding them ??

NVB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 25, 2017

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Crazypoops posted:

So I'm testing our highly complex suspension collision and physics system before we've mastered the on/off switch here at CIG.

...and then he's like "there's my bug!" like he didn't just showcase a colossally broken game engine with no hope of recovery.

I'm not kidding. I'm a hobby game designer and if anything in my game did poo poo like that I would start loving crying because I would KNOW that something is fundamentally hosed in my scripting.

I like the blood splat from a ship hitting the ground.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

"Burndown Episode 3"
this is the most "we tried guys" video I've ever seen

christ almighty. god above. what the gently caress. jesus. get a refund

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I need to know about the goddamn fuckin snoopy caps!!!

e:

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I love how there's apparently no more pressing issues than showering to implement into this loving "game".

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crazypoops posted:

lol the person I was drinking with specifically mentioned landing gear and how hosed its making everything

like I cut down their rant but they seriously hated doing landing gear because it doesn't loving work and croberts was on their rear end

TheAgent posted:

quote:

Years of work tossed out, redone, redone again. Landing gear. No, no, [laughs] I don't want to talk about landing gear. [laughs] It's still not ready. And the [ship] still isn't ready because [cockpit displays] had to be redone with the new tech. That tech wasn't finished, so what I put in wasn't finished, and that tech gets redone, which then I have to redo. It's a development snake eating its own features.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Viscous Soda posted:

I like the blood splat from a ship hitting the ground.

:suicide101:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

100% guaranteed Chris will not go on that stage without a giant sandworm in his pocket to pull out and amaze people with. Figuratively speaking. Whatever this year's Sandworm is, he's had people cooking it up for months. There is only one part of this job he truly loves, and that is starring as the lead visionary in an ongoing stage fiction about the making of the world's greatest game. He is addicted to the high of adulation and manbaby worship, every bit as much as is wife is addicted to her dreams of celebrity and cultural validation by inclusion into the upper ranks of Hollywood.

Roberts has a lot more in common with Trump than you might think at first glance. They're in the jobs for the same reason, applause and adoration, they're narcissists. Neither has any real idea of what their jobs actually are and resist attempts by anyone to help them understand. Both will project their failures on to the nearest available targets, venting their feelings on them and constantly manipulating them (I'm expecting some awful stories when this finally goes down). As long as they're adored the mask won't slip and the scam will continue.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I honestly wonder what an approval rating poll of Star Citizen backers would look like.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Kavak posted:

I honestly wonder what an approval rating poll of Star Citizen backers would look like.

I don't know, can percentages go up to "Blowjob"?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
wow in 2 weeks they'll just be another 8+ weeks out from evocati

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sandi gets a producer credit

CIG passes this off as "not bothering devs" because it doesn't include Sandi or Chris in front of the camera for an hour looking awkward, lacking chemistry, and wishing they got divorced, again.