Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That is a weird one but these were the kids of the World War II generation in Germany, right? And it was all wrapped up in the 60s counter-culture. It's not like anti-fascists that started fighting Nazi skinheads in the 70s and 80s shifted into waging a war against the state.

Yes, but its been a very long time since the prevailing belief of the media and the public at large that large swathes of the population and leadership of the country are at best collaborationists which is the belief that led the RAF to act how they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But what happens with the Nazis start wearing bandana's :ohdear:

They're classified as a violent gang and the government cracks down on them

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

So, I agree with this. There was a "March Against Israel"

What if I want to want to "march against Israel"? Am I a Nazi?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
please ignore the weirdo who is talking about gamergate as relative to political discourse in 2017 jesus christ

Panzeh posted:

Condemning punching nazis because you might get a fellow traveller is like calling off the invasion of Normandy because the beaches are guarded by pressganged Georgians.

I wouldn't condemn it and I don't think TTT is really doing anything other than suggesting a bit of scepticism and forethought. I'm fine with Nazi's getting punched, but I think calling everyone who questions its possible descent into mob violence or examines it beyond "Yay punch Nazi's!" as Nazi sympathisers is pretty unproductive and disingenuous.

I think that antifa type movements have mostly done mostly good things, I'm pro confronting Nazi's and I'm pro self defense. My caveat is that I'm generally distrustful of large groups of people looking for a fight, especially when they're hyped up on black bloc anonymity. Mob mentality kicks in, you swap your brain for adrenaline and brass knuckles, and bad poo poo happens.

Yes, I know the obvious answer that someone is going to post below me is that "it's the fascists/nazis/other guys who are the actual threatening violent mob, you loving idiot" and they're right. But I do think the increased normalisation of political violence on the left has triggered an escalation of arms and conflict at political events that's dangerous. You know how it's a talking point sometimes about how the military/police/peacekeepers need more training in conflict deescalation to keep situations from getting out of hand? Having a squad of guys in black looking to throw down is kind of the opposite of that. A few wrong punches and then you have a riot, and yeah "riots are the language of the unheard" blah blah blah but too many innocent, uninvolved people get caught in them and I ain't much of a fan.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

No, but believe me, this particular "March Against Israel" in 2002 was a Nazi thing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Its actually more illegal than being a nazi

quote:

he anti-boycott act would amend the Export Administration Act of 1979 – originally written to protect US companies from Arab League sanctions on Israel – to protect Israel and Israeli businesses from international boycotts of virtually any kind. Specifically, the bill would criminally penalize any US person seeking to collect information on another party’s relationship with Israel in pursuance of a boycott.

http://www.jpost.com/BDS-THREAT/US-bill-on-Israel-boycotts-sets-up-free-speech-battle-501179

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

Yes, but its been a very long time since the prevailing belief of the media and the public at large that large swathes of the population and leadership of the country are at best collaborationists which is the belief that led the RAF to act how they did.
Alright I'll meet you in the middle on this. I don't think we're getting another RAF because the United States today even with the Nazi accusations being thrown around is not Germany post-World War II. Though yeah I can imagine the left getting out of hand. The backlash to the Trump thing when it fully articulates itself might get ugly.

Edit: Or it was called "Rock Against Israel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bw46OizJnA

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Rock against Isreal and Rock Against Communism were both dogwhistles screaming "I'm a loving fascist" so loud that I'm not even sure they really count as dogwhistles or just bad naming conventions tbh.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

No, but believe me, this particular "March Against Israel" in 2002 was a Nazi thing.

Yea I know. But I couldn't resist the example of action against israel = nazis.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rock Against [something] is going to be some Nazi poo poo

Except Rock Against Racism which was explicitly a response to them before some pedant points that out

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yea I know. But I couldn't resist the example of action against israel = nazis.

Nazis hate Israel for all the wrong reasons, depressing

In another life they could have been friends

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Grognan posted:

Then define that poo poo better and establish boundaries.

This can be like drone bombers at a wedding doing a good job because the bodies were old enough to be technically serving in a military.

Advocating the nullification of the 2nd amendment is some tankie poo poo that retards on the internet have latched onto because the hate feels good*.

*when you can morally justify it

Much less the monkey's paw of what if you actually get it. Like, holy poo poo do you want a republican government from country to federal deciding what is dangerous speech and what is not?

blast me for slippery slope arguments but antifa used them first

It's very simple, Adolf.

You're a nazi and deserve to be assaulted if

- You advocate for the genocide of minority races for the betterment of the glorious white race or
- You're a member of a documented hate group or
- You grift in alt-right circles or
- You identify as alt-right or
- You post on a chan or
- You voted for Trump in the 2016 election or
- You wear a maga hat in public or
- You wear a red hat in public or
- You're white and bald in public or
- You defend other people's right to free speech or
- You support a noted racist organization like the ACLU or
- You disagree with the regulars on Something Awful

I don't understand why people are worried about this very narrow definition. Maybe it's because they're actually nazis :thunk:

So, I agree with this. There was a "March Against Israel" in 2002 that brought in hundreds of Neo-Nazis to Washington, D.C. and organized by the National Alliance in 2002. There is hardly any record of this. And I think things were probably way worse in the 50s and 60s with the Klan assassinations and bombings. The Greensboro massacre in 1979...

Talk to people in the punk scene where I live in the 80s and 90s and it was like a low-boil war going on. People still have their Nazi-stomping boots buried in their closets.

I think things have gotten pretty bad recently but I think there should be some historical perspective. And the record tends to show the anti-fascists' tactics can succeed. I think this new neo-Nazi movement might actually start going into decline now after Charlottesville, though I can't be sure, and it will pop up again as it always does.

Has bash the fash actually worked outside of punk circles? I can't find much about that sort of thing but I thought it only worked because the nazis eventually took the hint and hosed off to their own scene.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"Deserve" got nothing to do with whether you should actually be punched. That's a strategic concern.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grognan posted:

Then define that poo poo better and establish boundaries.

This can be like drone bombers at a wedding doing a good job because the bodies were old enough to be technically serving in a military.

Advocating the nullification of the 2nd amendment is some tankie poo poo that retards on the internet have latched onto because the hate feels good*.

*when you can morally justify it

Much less the monkey's paw of what if you actually get it. Like, holy poo poo do you want a republican government from country to federal deciding what is dangerous speech and what is not?

blast me for slippery slope arguments but antifa used them first

Pretty much everything in this post is dumb.

Nazis are pretty well defined, and I even provided a working definition earlier in this thread.

There's also a big leap from advocating communally defensive violence like Antifa to the active repression of the state, which is what all the apologists itt keep trying to steer the discussion towards.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

communally defensive violence like Antifa

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There were way more local Antifa than there were Nazis in Charlottesville. Communities have a right to defend themselves from Nazi marches.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

hmm wow i've reconsidered my entire "punch nazis" worldview because of this one misunderstanding that a "lib" unironically retweeted from Ant Man's timeline

he's more yellowjacket thats your deepish cut comics joke for the night waka waka fuckers

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
lol an entire half page of posts from mewling slippery slopists and overton window shifters nobody will read

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Communal violence better have a loving good and solid definable and defensible threshold. Because if it does not, then all bets are off and that's how you get lynchings anyways. Open sectarian warfare is loving horrific and basically a death sentence for any secular national identity (that doesn't involve purging a target group, hey turkey how's it going).

Noone is saying you cannot punch nazis, but wanting to nuke a standard of legal impartiality that the good guys still use and protects good guys is a bad move. Especially when it can backfire incredibly loudly.

Most of the poo poo here recently has been cheerleading and trying to tar people with associations and labels. Noone is actually talking about CMC's points because even if the person that you think is a nazi says the sky is blue you gotta just say "he is nazi" and "the sky is red and we are carving that into nazi skulls".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

Communal violence better have a loving good and solid definable and defensible threshold. Because if it does not, then all bets are off and that's how you get lynchings anyways. Open sectarian warfare is loving horrific and basically a death sentence for any secular national identity (that doesn't involve purging a target group, hey turkey how's it going).

Noone is saying you cannot punch nazis, but wanting to nuke a standard of legal impartiality that the good guys still use and protects good guys is a bad move. Especially when it can backfire incredibly loudly.

Most of the poo poo here recently has been cheerleading and trying to tar people with associations and labels. Noone is actually talking about CMC's points because even if the person that you think is a nazi says the sky is blue you gotta just say "he is nazi" and "the sky is red and we are carving that into nazi skulls".

Nobody is talking about his points for the same reason we don't discuss the role the molemen played in the Biden/Ryan VP debate

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grognan posted:

Noone is saying you cannot punch nazis

Have you actually read this thread?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Because it's stupid. It's real stupid. Everything he says is stupid.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you and your poo poo, you can't even acknowledge anything that doesn't agree with you here because it pokes holes in your moral blanket assurance that this communal violence is well and good.

Lemme know if you got anything besides "its stupid".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

gently caress you and your poo poo, you can't even acknowledge anything that doesn't agree with you here because it pokes holes in your moral blanket assurance that this communal violence is well and good.

Lemme just acknowledge Nazi apologia

Not

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Have you actually read this thread?

My specific argument is its ok to punch nazis if they are threatening a pacifistic group. Rounding up your socal vigilante brigade and road tripping across the country for the sole intent of finding somebody to assault because you don't like what they have to say is not ok. Meet violence with violence, speech is not violence.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Making Nazis too terrified to organize in public is always good.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grognan posted:

As the jackbooted nazis march through every city on the road to political victory for their corporate masters, the left's corpse can say "well, at least we didn't engage in communal violence".

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grognan posted:

now how does this complete unwillingness to engage with your "rational" arguments make you feel?????? now imagine if the person doing this didnt want 2 punch you, but instead shoot you in the head

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

meditate on that 4 a bit lil grasshopper and you mite just get it

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Making Nazis too terrified to organize in public is always good.

I cannot forsee normalising the use of fear to restrict speech possibly having negative consequences

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

I cannot forsee normalising the use of fear to restrict speech possibly having negative consequences

it's already normalized you loving mook or do you just close your eyes and ears when the police are used to beat blm protestors but stand idly by while people heil the swastika

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sword_man.gif posted:

it's already normalized you loving mook or do you just close your eyes and ears when the police are used to beat blm protestors but stand idly by while people heil the swastika

It's kinda funny that people think the nazis don't know what they're doing like they get all their ideas from us.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

now how does this complete unwillingness to engage with your "rational" arguments make you feel?????? now imagine if the person doing this didnt want 2 punch you, but instead shoot you in the head

A lot better because internet antifa masturbators aren't leaving their domiciles or going to confront anything.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Panzeh posted:

As the jackbooted nazis march through every city on the road to political victory for their corporate masters, the left's corpse can say "well, at least we didn't engage in communal violence".

Last I checked the fascists were outnumbered 100-1 at the last major protest. Acting like the small minority of counter protesters willing to get violent is the magic bullet against a Nazi regime is kinda dumb.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

My specific argument is its ok to punch nazis if they are threatening a pacifistic group. Rounding up your socal vigilante brigade and road tripping across the country for the sole intent of finding somebody to assault because you don't like what they have to say is not ok. Meet violence with violence, speech is not violence.

Good thing that doesn't happen

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

attackmole posted:

Last I checked the fascists were outnumbered 100-1 at the last major protest. Acting like the small minority of counter protesters willing to get violent is the magic bullet against a Nazi regime is kinda dumb.

And that had nothing to do with the major protest before that, not at all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grognan posted:

A lot better because internet antifa masturbators aren't leaving their domiciles or going to confront anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

attackmole posted:

so what are you worried about, that you're gonna get called hitler on the internet and that sends out the Secret Signal for the local group to hide outside your front door and ambush you with a tire iron?

because currently as it stands the only reason you have to be worried about getting thrashed is if you happen to be espousing just how great white supremacy would be in public.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Good thing that doesn't happen

LOL When I marched with my local occupy we literally had a briefing about the nomads that were coming from CA. That planned to violently escalate poo poo for our protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

The leaning into the microphone to say wrong meme

• Locked thread