Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Iirc, all first print editions of 6 are getting a steelbook and the art book. The collector's edition is the big fancy box, the glasses, the coasters, and the stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Iirc, all first print editions of 6 are getting a steelbook and the art book. The collector's edition is the big fancy box, the glasses, the coasters, and the stones.

Awesome just put in my preorder for the premium edition

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Nevermind, I double checked and apparently there is no steelbook. Instead, the art book is the disc case.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. I appreciate that they tried to do more, but it just means the game feels way less focused. I have my problems with 4, but I think it's way more of a solid package all around.

No way man, 5 is the best in the series.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would say the best is a tie between 4 and 0, for different reasons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

0 is probably the best in terms of mechanics and so forth, but suffers massively for not including series MVP and the real hero of Yakuza Akiyama. So 5 is better in that way.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Likewise, 5 traded Most Fun Playstyle Tanimura for Not Particularly Fun Shinada.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That reminds me, you should be able to summon Shinada as your ringer for the Yakuza 6 Baseball minigame.

E: Also I was underwhelmed by Shinada too, but if we didn't have him we wouldn't have his landlord and even my 4th grade kid knows that would be bad. Gimme your money.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
4's a tighter package, but the plot in the second half is the dumbest Yakuza has ever been. Once it starts jumping the shark, it's a runaway shark jumping machine. I couldn't take it seriously at all. The Saejima and Shinada chapters in 5 are snoozefests, but the Kiryu chapter at the top is actually my favorite from either game.

They both had too many chapters and felt scattered, though. 0 felt like the perfect balance of switching between two characters and two cities.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Kamua Kiryu: Law Abiding Taxi Driver is one of my favorite minigames from any of the games, but having to slog through the Saejima only to get to the Haruka chapter with literally 3 songs means I never actually finished 5. I barely got to the Akiyama section before just giving up.

4 is my favorite so far with the exception of the Dumbest Plot Twist in Video Games History. Everyone felt different, and like they mattered. I really enjoyed Tanimura's fighting style, and am kinda upset that I'll probably never see it again.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think Yakuza 4 is still peak Yakuza.

They must've been gutted when it didn't sell well in North America cause it was such an achievement. Sega was like gently caress you guys I more Yakuza but we got all the Yakuza in the end. except Kenzan

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
5 is, in theory, the best game, but Saejima's chapter meant that I never finished it.

I'm still fairly sure that I've never enjoyed a Saejima chapter.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
His wanted gimmick sucked. He was slow. Also they couldn't think of anything else for him to do, so he put himself back into prison for a crime he didn't commit, and then had to break out of prison again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yakuza 5 is weird as hell and I find it way too over-ambitious. It tries to do so much and it has varying results, also some of the new cities are laughably bad (Hokkaido) and the crowd density is maddeningly thick. I have seriously gotten stuck for 10-15 seconds sometimes in 5 just getting caught in crowds being unable to move. Haruka's segment feels really weird but I really like Shinada although I feel like Shinada's story is really out of place. I like it for doing something different, playing a broke as gently caress scrub down on his luck but I'd have liked it to get more of a spotlight.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza 5 is weird as hell and I find it way too over-ambitious. It tries to do so much and it has varying results,

That's the appeal of these games, isn't it? I wish Sapporo were better done because it's the Japanese city I have the most attachment to but oh well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

That's the appeal of these games, isn't it? I wish Sapporo were better done because it's the Japanese city I have the most attachment to but oh well.

I'd rather have one or two over-ambitious locations where things are easy to miss just by the sheer density of things, rather than 5 very well rendered but otherwise sparse locations where things are still very easy to miss.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I'd rather have one or two over-ambitious locations where things are easy to miss just by the sheer density of things, rather than 5 very well rendered but otherwise sparse locations where things are still very easy to miss.

As I recall everything was on the map in that game unlike 6. Anyway they obviously ran out of money partway through but I loved the raw ambition regardless. I guess "unpolished but really ambitious" is better than "less ambitious but more polished" to me

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 22, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Everything about Shinada's character and story was great. It's just his combat was miiiiiiiiissssseeeerrraaabbblllleeee

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Playing Yakuza Kiwami, and I guess I kinda spaced out during the tutorial for the "bosses regain health while Gokuing up" mechanic. I could've sworn the tutorial just said to be in front of them in the Dragon of Dojima style and hit triangle while heated up, but it's not working in the actual game.

Do I have to unlock heat moves for the Dragon style through Majima Everywhere before it works or am I loving something up? I'm still very early in the game (just completed the funeral sequence and beat Shimano) so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the game making me earn it.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Der Shovel posted:

Playing Yakuza Kiwami, and I guess I kinda spaced out during the tutorial for the "bosses regain health while Gokuing up" mechanic. I could've sworn the tutorial just said to be in front of them in the Dragon of Dojima style and hit triangle while heated up, but it's not working in the actual game.

Do I have to unlock heat moves for the Dragon style through Majima Everywhere before it works or am I loving something up? I'm still very early in the game (just completed the funeral sequence and beat Shimano) so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the game making me earn it.

I haven't played it yet but from what I've read, yeah they come from majima everywhere

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I actually just watched someone play the tutorial there the other day, and I think the style you're supposed to use depends on the boss and their aura color. First guy is Dragon, but subsequent bosses might be different styles. No idea if Majima Everywhere is also part of it, but that might be part of what's causing trouble.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's exactly that. Their colour matches the style needed, but swapping style also costs you time for them to regen so you'll need to keep a close eye on that. Also, the Kiwami actions need to be purchased as well, but the game didn't explain that IIRC.

Majima Everywhere is just used to unlock the dragon style stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

People who aren't me will be excited about this. I'm not really though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW poo poo SON HERE WE GO

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's true i am excited

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are we buying all the games again? Are they going to rerelease the PS3 titles too?

Dead Souls KIWAMI

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hopefully that means ports of 3, 4, and 5 are also coming because those i would actually be interested in.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Kiwami 2 has me excited. I figure that'll be on the 6 engine as well, so it'll be really cool to see what they do with it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

CrashScreen posted:

Kiwami 2 has me excited. I figure that'll be on the 6 engine as well, so it'll be really cool to see what they do with it.

It is on the 6 engine, so that's one good thing about it at least.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Oh lord, HD Sayama. HD TIGERS.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

actually instead of being down on it i'll hope they make the story coherent and make the dope setpieces as fun to play as they are to look at.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
The Yakuza hype will never stop!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Is 3 or Dead Souls next on the list? I wouldmt mind playing a Dead Souls Kiwami woth such exciting features as "it is possible to aim the gun"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
gently caress YES.

I never played 2 so I'm hype as hell to beat the poo poo out of some tigers in HD

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

CrashScreen posted:

It's exactly that. Their colour matches the style needed, but swapping style also costs you time for them to regen so you'll need to keep a close eye on that. Also, the Kiwami actions need to be purchased as well, but the game didn't explain that IIRC.

Majima Everywhere is just used to unlock the dragon style stuff.

After you finally get everything though Majima is a real pain to keep encountering. It takes so much time

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

whip posted:

After you finally get everything though Majima is a real pain to keep encountering. It takes so much time

Is there anything you can get to avoid him/mitigate him?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

There's an item that puts him on your map and it's easy to figure out his hideouts. You can mitigate him roughly in the same way you could with Mr. Shakedown, and I didn't have much issue avoiding him.

The only one you can't mitigate IIRC is when he joins a fight.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah I'm hype for HD tiger dropping a real tiger.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I jokingly wished for that a couple weeks ago. Moments like these are worth reiterating that Gio Corsi is the granter of dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll say it again. Announce the full set of remakes and I will pay for them all in full today.