Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Source your quotes, because that is not even close to what I do, literally. "Everything is bad" is not the same thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821460&pagenumber=2118&perpage=40#post475130521

Because that is literally the only reason Republicans opposed him. He literally had many of the same policies they themselves would propose, but because he was black they'd vote against anything he was in favor of and for anything he was against.

This is a great hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Is it really? Keep in mind that the current President is dismantling programs for no other reason than "Obama signed off on it". He is on record as saying that.

What meaning does "hot take" even have in this context?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Is it really? Keep in mind that the current President is dismantling programs for no other reason than "Obama signed off on it". He is on record as saying that.

What meaning does "hot take" even have in this context?

Saying that Republicans would like Obama if he wasn't Black because of the legislation that he passed is a real big stretch. You asked for an example, and this is a good example that simply because Obama may have passed some compromise bills or bailed out banks, then he is basically Republican-lite.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blackguy32 posted:

Saying that Republicans would like Obama if he wasn't Black because of the legislation that he passed is a real big stretch. You asked for an example, and this is a good example that simply because Obama may have passed some compromise bills or bailed out banks, then he is basically Republican-lite.

I guess I'm just not seeing the problem.

Obama made the same argument himself in his debate with Mitt Romney, when asking how Romney's campaign platform was any different from what he was already doing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, you are part of the problem right now if you think Obama was the same as Republicans.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, you are part of the problem right now if you think Obama was the same as Republicans.

💯

this both sides same poo poo is the stupidest poo poo

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe
Although this is slightly off-topic and probably ought to get its own thread, I'm curious as to what Republican positions Obama had, exactly. Are we talking things that have broad bipartisan support? Are we talking about the insistence that Obamacare is a Republican plan because it has a vague resemblance to a Heritage Foundation plan from the early 1990s and a closer resemblance to a plan that the Democratic legislature in Massachusetts passed by veto-proof majorities but Mitt Romney signed? Are we obsessing over the whole Grand Bargain fiasco and pretending that Republicans actually want to keep Social Security and Medicare around? Are we talking about foreign policy, an area where the difference has repeatedly been shown to be extremely stark over the last seven months? Are we still on about the bailouts? Are we channeling Matt Taibbi on the financial system?

To bring this back to being more on-topic, this seems to be an example of the standards being higher for politicians of color- people don't have any of this kind of view of Kennedy or Johnson or FDR , where even people denouncing them don't do so on the grounds that they were secretly of the other party.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i didn't know you wrote for current affairs, biracial bear for uncut

:allears:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

stone cold posted:

i didn't know you wrote for current affairs, biracial bear for uncut

:allears:

e:

i should include choice excerpts

quote:

Race produces a set of lived experiences that inform our political perspective, but identity cannot be used as a mitigating factor for political shortcomings. A glance at the unusually diverse 2016 Republican primary field illustrates as much. If we believe that a political candidate’s identity overrides their substantive beliefs and policy prescriptions, then a Ben Carson/Carly Fiorina ticket would have been a progressive dream.

:thunk:

quote:

Harris, Booker, Patrick, Biden, Warren: all deserve scrutiny. So does any other potential candidate. That scrutiny should be applied evenly, in proportion to a candidate’s likelihood of success and the quality of their record. It’s not an act of racism to question whether the Democratic Party should select as its presidential nominee a career prosecutor with a controversial record on misconduct issues. Pretending that these candidates are criticized solely on the basis of race or gender is, in itself, a lesser form of prejudice: it erases their flaws, and flattens their humanity. Treating people as people requires acknowledgment of their imperfections. To err, after all, is human.

color blind critiques beep boop

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

William Contraalto posted:

Although this is slightly off-topic and probably ought to get its own thread, I'm curious as to what Republican positions Obama had, exactly. Are we talking things that have broad bipartisan support? Are we talking about the insistence that Obamacare is a Republican plan because it has a vague resemblance to a Heritage Foundation plan from the early 1990s and a closer resemblance to a plan that the Democratic legislature in Massachusetts passed by veto-proof majorities but Mitt Romney signed? Are we obsessing over the whole Grand Bargain fiasco and pretending that Republicans actually want to keep Social Security and Medicare around? Are we talking about foreign policy, an area where the difference has repeatedly been shown to be extremely stark over the last seven months? Are we still on about the bailouts? Are we channeling Matt Taibbi on the financial system?

To bring this back to being more on-topic, this seems to be an example of the standards being higher for politicians of color- people don't have any of this kind of view of Kennedy or Johnson or FDR , where even people denouncing them don't do so on the grounds that they were secretly of the other party.

No, I think it is perfectly on-topic because we are discussing black people, and to segue into the future, you already see people on the left gearing up their attacks onto other prominent black politicians out of some fear that they might run in 2020. Kamala Harris, Deval Patrick, and Cory Booker have all fallen victim to this. It's pretty telling how people have been showing their rear end as of late, but I think a lot of it comes down to fear that they know whoever runs is going to have to go through the gauntlet that is Black Democrats in the South, where a lot people don't buy into the bullshit about how economic policies will help everyone somehow without focusing on race as well.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

blackguy32 posted:

There is something seriously hosed if my arguing that the main reason Republicans hated Obama was because they are racists somehow becomes "I think there is no difference between Obama and Republicans" because I pointed out that Republicans were literally running on "we'll do most of what he is doing, but we're white" back before the current "gently caress it, we're going full on race war" path they are on now.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

There is something seriously hosed if my arguing that the main reason Republicans hated Obama was because they are racists somehow becomes "I think there is no difference between Obama and Republicans"

because that was what you were arguing

quote:

because I pointed out that Republicans were literally running on "we'll do most of what he is doing, but we're white"

no, they weren't but nice revisionism

quote:

back before the current "gently caress it, we're going full on race war" path they are on now.

they've always been fighting the race war; now it's overt not covert

hth

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

blackguy32 posted:

No, I think it is perfectly on-topic because we are discussing black people, and to segue into the future, you already see people on the left gearing up their attacks onto other prominent black politicians out of some fear that they might run in 2020. Kamala Harris, Deval Patrick, and Cory Booker have all fallen victim to this. It's pretty telling how people have been showing their rear end as of late, but I think a lot of it comes down to fear that they know whoever runs is going to have to go through the gauntlet that is Black Democrats in the South, where a lot people don't buy into the bullshit about how economic policies will help everyone somehow without focusing on race as well.

Yeah. It's also very telling that the first thought of so many is to tear down black politicians rather than try to appeal to black people and black voters in Democratic primaries, while simultaneously arguing that colorblindness is meaningful anti-racism.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Koalas March posted:

Wtf is going on here.

HCC, you don't need to try and code switch to convince us you're "down" or what the gently caress ever.

Eh sorry, I sometimes don't realize I'm doing it, both IRL or here; I spent a good chunk of my childhood (grades 7-12 pretty much) in a majority-minority state (Hawaii), and lived a few more years than that with two step-siblings that were brown, spent the first couple years that I moved to PDX with my only friends in town being a half-dozen Japanese immigrants that I was tutoring in English, and now live with a Black woman from NY*.

After spending so much of my life as the only white guy in the room, and amongst so many different ethnic and cultural groups, I more or less code-switch contextually like most PoC do. Even in my own home, me and the wife code-switch (she's the queen of sounding like a corporate receptionist one moment and turning into Tiffany Haddish the next) when talking to each other depending on whether we're talking about watching an ep of Atlanta or the latest article on VSB, versus when we're talking about Star Wars or whose autographs we want at the next comic con and we both turn nerdy AF.

Comedy option: If it make you feel betta cuz, I can try fo' talk in da kine pidgin, I no wanna start no beef bra. shoutouts to any kama'ainas in the audience, treat yoself to a spam musubi

*(the NY thing has had a terrible effect on the way I say dog and coffee BTW)

p.s. Desus and Mero are the bomb, I love their poo poo

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Ok, but who are the left wing black politicians that they are gearing up attacks on?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

flashman posted:

Ok, but who are the left wing black politicians that they are gearing up attacks on?

im glad you made the effort to put on your big boy pants and smugly post, but it's way past your bedtime, sport

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

flashman posted:

Oh look, it's a shitpost.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I mean Kamala Harris is a good candidate but if you can't see the problems with Booker and Patrick you are as deluded as the colorblind policy folks.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

flashman posted:

I mean Kamala Harris is a good candidate but if you can't see the problems with Booker and Patrick you are as deluded as the colorblind policy folks.

I remain unconvinced of the criticism of Cory Booker. I think he is a strong candidate with liberal views. All of the critiques I have seen of him have been wishy washy guilt by association poo poo with a heaping topping of inferring that he is in bed with Wall Streets because of campaign donations. I find the argument similar to the bullshit argument about how Obama shouldn't take speaking fees because reasons.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

blackguy32 posted:

I remain unconvinced of the criticism of Cory Booker. I think he is a strong candidate with liberal views. All of the critiques I have seen of him have been wishy washy guilt by association poo poo with a heaping topping of inferring that he is in bed with Wall Streets because of campaign donations. I find the argument similar to the bullshit argument about how Obama shouldn't take speaking fees because reasons.

I also feel it's like criticizing John Conyers for supporting car companies- part of representing your constituents involves supporting the industries that employ them, inevitably.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you don't see why left wingers dislike former presidents taking large speaking fees from Wall Street and attribute it instead to racism then it stands to figure critiques of Corey Booker would seem the same.

These minority politicians are the ones being pushed by the DNC as the acceptable centrists for this exact reason. Complaints about their connections to Wall Street and big money doners, or previous policy stances are hand waved away as veiled racism and identity politics is used as a bludgeon against the left wing of the party rather than as a means to achieve equality.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah I agree, and I think people who criticize him for supporting charter schools don't know the context of that issue in a black community. White people like charter schools because they make it easy to exclude minorities and people with disabilities. Black people are looking for any way to replace the public schools that those white people ruined.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The broader argument is strongest when you just apply it to Harris, because her political slights don't remotely justify the viciousness of the response. Maybe some of the attacks against Booker and Patrick come from the same place, I dunno, but their records are enough to turn off the left.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah. It's also very telling that the first thought of so many is to tear down black politicians rather than try to appeal to black people and black voters in Democratic primaries, while simultaneously arguing that colorblindness is meaningful anti-racism.

It's really a lot of this. One thing Bernie badly botched was ignoring the South until it was way too late. Black people (and black women, in particular) make up a lot of the active Democratic base. You don't win with us, you don't win, and it sounds like folks did not learn from Bernie's mistake.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

flashman posted:

If you don't see why left wingers dislike former presidents taking large speaking fees from Wall Street and attribute it instead to racism then it stands to figure critiques of Corey Booker would seem the same.

These minority politicians are the ones being pushed by the DNC as the acceptable centrists for this exact reason. Complaints about their connections to Wall Street and big money doners, or previous policy stances are hand waved away as veiled racism and identity politics is used as a bludgeon against the left wing of the party rather than as a means to achieve equality.

Well, I do see why people complain about speaking fees, and it's because they're whiny and stupid. In most cases they are also unwilling to examine the racism implicit in suddenly complaining about a black president doing it when only wackos contributing to Maoist small-press publications gave a gently caress before.

Just like how far fewer people criticize Kristen Gillibrand for her previous policy stances, or nobody says anything about fucken Joe Biden. Or if they do, it doesn't get the loud amplification that happens for tweets, blogs, and thinkpieces about how Kamala Harris is an inhuman monster and prosecutors should be legally barred from holding office, and the slightly quieter amplification for complaints about Corey Booker and now Deval Patrick.

EDIT: You could make strong arguments that these have understandable causes rooted in how left-wing activists tend to have cartoonish approaches to critical analysis and very vulgar Marxism, but the point is not to say that people who tweet about their dislike for Kamala Harris are secretly Klansmen, but to talk about the structural, collective racism and sexism involved.

William Contraalto fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 25, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

a literal block of salt posted:

i love doner tho

but seriously lmao source your quotes

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

flashman posted:

I can see why Left Wingers dislike former presidents taking speaking fees. But it says a lot that no one gave as poo poo about it until President Obama did it.

As for the second paragraph, this is a great way to try to attack black politicians without actually engaging with what Black people have to say about these politicians. It's annoying as gently caress and a way to remove agency from the equation. Oh no, these politicians can't just be popular and liked by their constituents, they must have been propped up by the DNC.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

sometimes it is better to just be quiet and stop doing the thing and not try to justify yourself because everything you wrote reads like a bunch of white nonsense

--------

Has anyone been watching the second season of Queen Sugar? How is it? I bought the second season on Amazon, but it's one of those shows that you've really got to sit down and invest your time and attention in, and I haven't had that recently.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HotCanadianChick posted:

Eh sorry, I sometimes don't realize I'm doing it, both IRL or here; I spent a good chunk of my childhood (grades 7-12 pretty much) in a majority-minority state (Hawaii), and lived a few more years than that with two step-siblings that were brown, spent the first couple years that I moved to PDX with my only friends in town being a half-dozen Japanese immigrants that I was tutoring in English, and now live with a Black woman from NY*.

After spending so much of my life as the only white guy in the room, and amongst so many different ethnic and cultural groups, I more or less code-switch contextually like most PoC do. Even in my own home, me and the wife code-switch (she's the queen of sounding like a corporate receptionist one moment and turning into Tiffany Haddish the next) when talking to each other depending on whether we're talking about watching an ep of Atlanta or the latest article on VSB, versus when we're talking about Star Wars or whose autographs we want at the next comic con and we both turn nerdy AF.

Comedy option: If it make you feel betta cuz, I can try fo' talk in da kine pidgin, I no wanna start no beef bra. shoutouts to any kama'ainas in the audience, treat yoself to a spam musubi

*(the NY thing has had a terrible effect on the way I say dog and coffee BTW)

p.s. Desus and Mero are the bomb, I love their poo poo

Fine race relations cv. Pidgin doesn't stink like haole. Real quick: I've been a fan of the art for a couple months. Which episode of the show should I check out this week?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I can see why Left Wingers dislike former presidents taking speaking fees. But it says a lot that no one gave as poo poo about it until President Obama did it.

Do you not understand that it's more of a betrayal coming from a supposedly liberal politician than if Dubya did it, or Third Way Bill Clinton?

If Trump is hypothetically doing it after his term, I'm not going to get extra mad at him because I expect Trump to be self serving. Obama was already rich from book sales and his Presidential salary, did he really need an extra $400k right away? Was he hurting for cash that bad?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Why does a dude have to hurt for cash to accept a 2-day gig that'll result in 400k?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Why does a dude have to hurt for cash to accept a 2-day gig that'll result in 400k?

Because taking that money doesn't happen in a vacuum. It looks like he's selling out to the very same people he was just supposed to be working to regulate.

And if he's already a millionaire several times over, well, then it sends even more of that message. Greed isn't a good look.

Again, it's bad for any President to do this, I dislike all of them equally for doing it, but Obama is the most recent example so obviously he's the one people are going to talk about.

E: VVV I was trying to explain a leftist viewpoint on the topic being discussed. I apologize if I overstepped my bounds and I'll go back to shutting up, I'm really not trying to take over the thread.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 25, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Because taking that money doesn't happen in a vacuum. It looks like he's selling out to the very same people he was just supposed to be working to regulate.

And if he's already a millionaire several times over, well, then it sends even more of that message. Greed isn't a good look.

Again, it's bad for any President to do this, I dislike all of them equally for doing it, but Obama is the most recent example so obviously he's the one people are going to talk about.

go back to the dems are a waste thread where you can gleefully jack off to the thought of beep boop purge not pure enough black president beep boop he's basically a republican beep boop im not racist but beep boop

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

wampalord voice "hmmm how can I take the thread for poc issues and people and make it all about how much obama is just like trump?"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Do you not understand that it's more of a betrayal coming from a supposedly liberal politician than if Dubya did it, or Third Way Bill Clinton?

If Trump is hypothetically doing it after his term, I'm not going to get extra mad at him because I expect Trump to be self serving. Obama was already rich from book sales and his Presidential salary, did he really need an extra $400k right away? Was he hurting for cash that bad?

Nope, I understand the viewpoint. But its a dumb loving viewpoint that lacks any kind of substance or nuance and exists just to say that money from certain people= bad.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if I took money from corporate interests, I would expect the leftist community not to gently caress with me anymore

also Kamala Harris is bad, lol it's easy to see why a prosecutor is not gonna be a leftist voice

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

grieving for Gandalf posted:

if I took money from corporate interests, I would expect the leftist community not to gently caress with me anymore

also Kamala Harris is bad, lol it's easy to see why a prosecutor is not gonna be a leftist voice

"Taking money from corporate interests" is the reality of American elections, and was the reality long before Citizens United and demanding some idiotic Puritanism about taking money only from the poor and unions is self-destructive and pointless. This is before we actually look at whether the politicians beloved of leftists actually live up to the Puritan standard or not and see that mysteriously these things only matter when it's a marginalized person doing them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

"Taking money from corporate interests" is the reality of American elections, and was the reality long before Citizens United and demanding some idiotic Puritanism about taking money only from the poor and unions is self-destructive and pointless. This is before we actually look at whether the politicians beloved of leftists actually live up to the Puritan standard or not and see that mysteriously these things only matter when it's a marginalized person doing them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Beyonce is loving fire in that dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's to be expected that a President who staffed the treasury with wall street execs and protected the financiers from repercussions after a massive financial collapse caused by their greed and disregard for the American people will receive lucrative speaking gigs post presidency. It doesn't mean that should not be criticized. I would think that as minorities we should not be so satisfied with the status quo, after all.

• Locked thread