Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RandomPauI posted:

Ventura county would more viable than LA or San Francisco. But you're still looking at 800 a month for rent at a minimum if you wanted to be within a 15 minute drive to the beach.
Thats more in the "room for rent" range in Ventura than apartment though.

Theres bound to be something cheap in the cultural waste where OC meets SD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RandomPauI posted:

Ventura county would more viable than LA or San Francisco. But you're still looking at 800 a month for rent at a minimum if you wanted to be within a 15 minute drive to the beach.

There's no way the rent in Ventura county could possibly be this low, unless you're talking about a room for rent.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you're looking for affordable, van-surf-men also go to Baja.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FreshFeesh posted:

Yeah but then you have to live in Paso or Templeton. How are things down in AG these days? I know there's been some major improvements/expansion since I was last down that way.

I haven't been down there in ages, either, mostly because you have to sit in traffic for 45 minutes if you're dumb enough to try to drive there from SLO between 5 and 7 PM.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Rah! posted:

nah, you can live by the beach with a low-end job, but you need a rent controlled unit and/or 15 roommates, and you won't be going out for every meal or anything like that, and you gotta maybe be cool with living in a closet/basement, or closet in a basement, with rats and sewage

I will take literally anything I can get as long as it's cheap. I don't have a van but I could drive my ford fiesta across country to get there and live in the hatch or something. You can just park overnight at walmarts, right?

The place I'd like to be is Irvine cause they have that sweet spot the wedge where I went the only time I've been to california and that poo poo was off the hook. But Irvine is 'Orange County' which sucks for finding living spaces.

As far as work, I can write software and have a few years work experience in the industry but I don't have the degree so I could hook that up eventually but I'd rather have something concrete to feed myself like washing dishes if I just upend my life and do it on a whim.

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you're looking for affordable, van-surf-men also go to Baja.

Never been to mexico and don't speak much spanish beyond the basics, whats the price ratio between socal/baha?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

As far as work, I can write software and have a few years work experience in the industry but I don't have the degree

You can work somewhere in norcal near a beach and make $100k+

e. you can also maybe do piecemeal/contract work if you don't wanna work full time. In the silicon valley, your degree is much less important than your skills and if you have a portfolio of work and can get past an interview where you'll be given sample programming problems, you will get work.

I would suggest somewhere between santa cruz and pacifica, get some work for a couple months and then line up a studio in that area and do contract work part time while you surf in your spare time and you'll be fine.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 9, 2017

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
What about around the part of the coast that has Big Sur? With the highway and that bridge being out it's pretty cut off. I've been wondering if it's just deserted now or what.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hepscat posted:

What about around the part of the coast that has Big Sur? With the highway and that bridge being out it's pretty cut off. I've been wondering if it's just deserted now or what.

There wasn't a whole lot there to begin with - just a cliff and a road. Maybe a couple of random hotels got cut off? There's houses here and there built in impossible locations.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Leperflesh posted:

You can work somewhere in norcal near a beach and make $100k+

e. you can also maybe do piecemeal/contract work if you don't wanna work full time. In the silicon valley, your degree is much less important than your skills and if you have a portfolio of work and can get past an interview where you'll be given sample programming problems, you will get work.

I would suggest somewhere between santa cruz and pacifica, get some work for a couple months and then line up a studio in that area and do contract work part time while you surf in your spare time and you'll be fine.

This is good advice. Specifically, check out Davenport, Pescadero, and Half Moon Bay. Look just south of Santa Cruz too, there are deals to be found near Watsonville if you can find part-time programming work.

Also try for small towns in West Marin, you may be able to find something "affordable" in Bolinas, Stinson, Pt. Reyes, or Olema. These are the kind of towns where you may have better luck checking the local bulletin board at the post office / grocery store than using a website to find an apartment.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Hey guys. I live in the bay area and it's my wedding anniversary this weekend so I thought it'd be nice to head up to Napa and do some winery stuff with my lady.

Anybody have any recommendations or good spots? Where are some nice places to stay that aren't $700+ a night? A friend of mine told me to have a picnic at V. Sattui and take the tram at Sterling Vineyards but that's the extent of my research thus far.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

ephori posted:

Hey guys. I live in the bay area and it's my wedding anniversary this weekend so I thought it'd be nice to head up to Napa and do some winery stuff with my lady.

Anybody have any recommendations or good spots? Where are some nice places to stay that aren't $700+ a night? A friend of mine told me to have a picnic at V. Sattui and take the tram at Sterling Vineyards but that's the extent of my research thus far.

Stayed at a bed n breakfast up there with the wife for a vacation a few years back, had a great time just eating and drinking our way through the little town.

Let me try to find the place.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's a three day weekend I did with a group of four. Worked out very well. You can obviously mix and match to your personal preference. Fyi you need reservations at most of these places. Schramsberg is probably my favorite out of all of these, only if you like sparkling wine though. Definitely recommend their tour.

Day one:

Start with Domaine Carneros and take time to relax and enjoy the view. Then swing through fatted calf/oxbow market (get picnic foods) and head up to either Mayacamas or Pride for an afternoon tasting and picnic. Then head west toward Sonoma to check into an AirBnB (and maybe hit up a sonoma winery if you feel like it to see the difference between sonoma and napa).

Next day

Model bakery for breakfast (required, English muffins). Far Niente before lunch. (could possibly fit a short winery visit at 10am before that). Then I suggest Schramsberg in the afternoon. Lunch at Gott's roadside (burger and shake). And then Chateau Montelena to finish the afternoon, if you feel like more wine. Dinner at Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch.

Next day

Bouchon bakery for breakfast -- it's a landmark. Failla is a good place to start the day, they specialize in white wines. Afternoon -- see how you feel? More tasting? Head back early? Mondavi, BV, one from above you skipped?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My favorite wineries for the wines are right close to each other: Peju and Alpha Omega.

For the experience, I like Sterling, Mondavi, Chandon, Carneros, V Sattui, Cakebread...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I rode my bike to Viano Vinyards in Martinez recently. It is no Napa but it was some delicious cheap-rear end wine nestled in the golden brown hills of Contra Costa county between two refineries.

I'm a filthy poor so my wine tours bring me to Amador. Is Fremont Diner still a hip place to stop over while on a wine tour in Napa/Sonoma.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Awesome, thanks guys!

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Okay guys, moving to Cali from NY and just landed a job in Malibu. Where do I live? My wife and I don't mind up to about a 45 minute commute to save on rent. Looking for any and all suggestions. Thank you goons!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Without knowing how much you'll make it's hard to say, but if you have to work in Malibu and you live anywhere but Malibu, the commute will make your life hell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Find someplace in the valley along the path of the 405.

You'll take an hour and a half to get home from work, but youll be able to afford something bigger than a shoebox.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Without knowing how much you'll make it's hard to say, but if you have to work in Malibu and you live anywhere but Malibu, the commute will make your life hell.
Yeah. The rich live in Malibu because it's really hard to get into or out of (keeps the lookie-loos away).

My advice is someplace cheap (Canoga Park? Reseda?) in the West Valley.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Yes, I was looking at the Canoga Park area and it seemed doable. I'm a Chef so usually off peak transportation times.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

cods posted:

Okay guys, moving to Cali from NY and just landed a job in Malibu. Where do I live?

The obvious answer is Hawaiian Gardens.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cods posted:

off peak transportation times.

lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Haha seriously

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cods posted:

I'm a Chef so usually off peak transportation times.

How do you only commute between the hours of 1am and 4am?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
What did I get into? Lol. So it looks my commute is gonna be horrible, but that's ok. I'll take an hour + in a car over the subway any day.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

cods posted:

I'll take an hour + in a car over the subway any day.
Do you have a chauffeur?

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Wife and I got a car last week. We'll get another when we get out there. I got rid of my car when I moved here because it was unnecessary.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Do you have a chauffeur?

Hah, yeah. Whenever I have to go downtown I'll gladly take an hour and a half ride on the metro (complete with some "what the hell is this honkey doing here" looks at Rosa Parks) to avoid the variable period of misery and fear and rage that is the 110.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

When/if people see stuff online about how bad traffic is out here, do people think it's an exaggeration?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That really depends on time of day. Basically, the "LA Traffic if awful" thing is true downtown and in a lot of the rest of the city from about 4am-9pm (1am on weekends and holidays) combined with a lot of our drivers being really reckless and not really into following traffic laws unless there's a cop nearby. So people end up losing a lot of time to traffic here, and the recklessness and lovely driving means people spend a lot of time fuming/hyperventilating about a near miss (or actually getting clipped, lost a mirror to a sports car doing 70 on the shoulder and the guy didn't even stop). Then to top that off you're bound to have at least one truly awful day because of the traffic and that memory will be forever etched into your mind.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, there are stretches of highway where it becomes WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU ASSHOLES because traffic piles up for no reason or you have a 6 lane that collapses into a 4 lane that also has 20 feet for the merging lane to complete their entry which also has a split to one of the other popular freeways happening.

You'll get these dumb clogs that just run through for no other reason than hundreds if not thousands of people use it to get home/to work. So, like, the 101 will be slow near downtown, pick up a bit around mid city, then just crawl from the Hollywood Bowl through Universal city. The 5 will hitch around Burbank, then from Griffith Park through Downtown (actually more like through the Citadel Outlets). If the 405 doesnt bore you, then the insane drivers will try to murder you.

It's kind of unbelievable in the same way that people hear 'ComicCon sold out in an hour' and they can't comprehend the depths of unimaginable shittyness that the whole process begets.,

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That really depends on time of day. Basically, the "LA Traffic if awful" thing is true downtown and in a lot of the rest of the city from about 4am-9pm (1am on weekends and holidays) combined with a lot of our drivers being really reckless and not really into following traffic laws unless there's a cop nearby. So people end up losing a lot of time to traffic here, and the recklessness and lovely driving means people spend a lot of time fuming/hyperventilating about a near miss (or actually getting clipped, lost a mirror to a sports car doing 70 on the shoulder and the guy didn't even stop). Then to top that off you're bound to have at least one truly awful day because of the traffic and that memory will be forever etched into your mind.

Traffic at midnight. I don't miss driving in socal at all.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was driving home after years of living in Idaho, and when I rolled into LA it was 2am and traffic was at a dead standstill. That was how I knew I was home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've driven in the greater LA area approximately four times and I would rather be homeless and live under a bridge than be forced to make a daily commute in that area. Like I'm not joking, I work from home in the bay area now, and even around here a commute of any length is completely intolerable. I'm probably forgoing $20k or more of salary annually by staying in this job that lets me work from home every day, and it's soooo worth it.

And SoCal commutes make the SF area rush hour look like a relaxing casual cruise.

cods posted:

What did I get into? Lol. So it looks my commute is gonna be horrible, but that's ok. I'll take an hour + in a car over the subway any day.

I understand the NY subway is undergoing some, ah, "difficulties" but that's atypical. In most places in America where light rail is a commute option, it's a vastly better experience than creeping along in six lanes of bumper to bumper traffic for three hours every day while idiot rear end in a top hat motherfuckers go out of their way to risk your life with their never-punished illegal roadway bullshit every 90 seconds.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I've driven in the greater LA area approximately four times and I would rather be homeless and live under a bridge than be forced to make a daily commute in that area.

My cousin drives daily between Redondo and downtown. I'm convinced she's a masochist.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The commutes are fine if you like to listen to NPR or podcasts while driving. Or if you don't mind 20-minute detours down city streets to get to an alternative freeway that's an extra 10 minutes out of your way. And, most important of all, if you don't actually live in the LA metropolitan area and you time your trips to avoid traffic whenever possible.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

When/if people see stuff online about how bad traffic is out here, do people think it's an exaggeration?
Yes.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The commutes are fine if you like to listen to NPR or podcasts while driving.
I've burned through a lot of podcasts that actually have editing and NPR stories start repeating on a particularly long commute... I've stooped low enough to listen to Lowtax's lovely podcast.

Tangent rant:... wtf is the point of rebroacasting a podcast? This is my biggest gripe about podcasters that come from radio.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 25, 2017

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I live in Concord and have a job offer in Sacramento. How bad of an idea would it be to commute via the Capital Corridor Amtrak daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Barring track issues, the train is usually pretty fast between Martinez and Sacramento. No bullshit like riding 5mph through Jack London Square.

Still keep in mind your time plus $25 daily tickets when evaluating the job offer. Can you do work on the train?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2017

• Locked thread