Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

Also didn't Biowarw hire one of their best writers with no experience? Like he was an overnight hotel concierge with too much time on his hands, and ended writing Baldurs Gate or something.

Sounds like David Gaider, who quit Bioware a while back to go to Beamdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's not like EA buying a named studio, trading on the name while everyone quits because they get ground into dust, then EA shuttering the studio and ditching the name isn't a well known thing that has happened a few times or anything.

What? No. You're making this up.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQaMQCVQkI4

I wish they'd stop making sequels to this tired old genre of Aladdins flying murder carpets as they reshape the land in furious battles with dragons and fortresses.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nice pic of me

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GAMER GAMER GAMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlgo1T-GGU

FOOD FOOD FOOD

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I bought the game for $20 on sale and I think it was alright. If you wanted more Mass Effect it's certainly that. It's just very uninteresting compared to the original trilogy. The new races are just bleh and I'm really not sure how they would have had enough plot to make another game or two out of the series. It wraps up reasonably well except there is that Quarian arc tease and the stuff with the 'Benefactor', but neither one is the kind of thing that I am going to care that it's never resolved. They would probably have done something dumb like have the 'Benefactor' be the Shadow Broker.

You spend way too much time in this game in very dark rooms with the Remnant. It's a recurring thing you have to do in order to finish everything off. There's not enough enemy variety with the Remnant to make them interesting. The fights against the Remnant Architects are a slog.

Biggest problem is that your crew is like someone saw the original trilogy and made a pale imitation. The only characters that feel like they could have come from the ME universe are Peebee and Drack. I never really cared much about Jaal. All of the human characters are dull and at times irritating (Liam). There's no standout characters like Garrus or Mordin.

Really the only improvement is the combat in this game is far better than any of the previous games. You can actually move around more and not feel like you have to sit in cover constantly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Vetra was very much an original trilogy character.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The remnant are incredibly boring cut and paste ancient aliens. Their war could be interesting but the way that their super generic giant Razer hardware is everywhere robs them of mystery.

Vetra is real and strong and my friend.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
game so bad it killed the franchise so what

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Can I complain about the platforming again? No one asked for this.

PS - Fair enough, they went for something more interesting than connect-the-dots or matching random text strings, but when you've only got one puzzle mechanic in the game it would probably be wise to use if judiciously. Don't make me do sudoku five times per planet, thanks.

PPS - One "Architect" would have been enough.

PPPS - Funyuns are great.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Can I complain about the platforming again? No one asked for this.

PS - Fair enough, they went for something more interesting than connect-the-dots or matching random text strings, but when you've only got one puzzle mechanic in the game it would probably be wise to use if judiciously. Don't make me do sudoku five times per planet, thanks.

PPS - One "Architect" would have been enough.

PPPS - Funyuns are great.

One huge architect to fight on that Remnant city would've been cool (instead of waves of the exact same Kett we've been fighting for dozens of hours), and probably would've outshined the Archon fight (which was waves of the exact same Remnant we'd been fighting for dozens of hours).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Every architect fight is also exactly the same, bar an environmental hazard on Voeld. They're two-phase boss fights that repeat a minimum of three times for each phase.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cythereal posted:

Every architect fight is also exactly the same, bar an environmental hazard on Voeld. They're two-phase boss fights that repeat a minimum of three times for each phase.

Each architect should have been different with its own unique fight.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pfft next you'll be saying that characters should have had unique faces...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Each architect should have been different with its own unique fight.

I'd have been okay with there only being one architect, and each planet having a unique world boss. There's only five of the drat places.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I'd have been okay with there only being one architect, and each planet having a unique world boss. There's only five of the drat places.

I mean, Elaaden literally had a giant biomechanical Dune sand worm that doesn't do ANYTHING.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

im cute posted:

I mean, Elaaden literally had a giant biomechanical Dune sand worm that doesn't do ANYTHING.

It kills you real good if you touch it.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It kills you real good if you touch it.

Thank you for your service.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wish this game was better

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

omg chael crash posted:

I wish this game was better

I wish I had gone to the strip club instead of paying full price for this game :shrug:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish I had gone to the strip club instead of paying full price for this game :shrug:

This game is more honest about trying to get your money.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I wish I hadn't. Any of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

you know.........i kind of liked it

but i wish it hadn't killed the franchise

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Game franchises never die.

They just go on hiatus until the IP holders can figure out how to turn them into a "service".

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Airfoil posted:

They just go on hiatus until the IP holders can figure out how to turn them into a "service".

*looks mournfully at dungeon keeper phone game*

alas good and fun series of my childhood, gently caress you EA

*also looks mournfully at half-eaten chicken breast*

alas, good and delicious food. i cooked you too long and now you are dry.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Airfoil posted:

In 2029, massive fan backlash will sink the career of the hype man who tries to deflect criticism of the decision to revive Mass Effect as a zombie survival/crafting game by saying "look, dating simulators just aren't contemporary."

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 30, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keeshhound posted:

In 2029, massive fan backlash will sink the career of the hype man who tries to deflect criticism of the decision to revive Mass Effect as a zombie survival/crafting game by saying "look, dating simulators just aren't contemporary."

This is EA. They're going to turn it into a moba for ipad.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cythereal posted:

This is EA. They're going to turn it into a moba for ipad.

I mean they can. Hell, with this ME:A, they'd make the Ryder's the free premium unit.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

widespread posted:

I mean they can. Hell, with this ME:A, they'd make the Ryder's the free premium unit.

Christmas Shephard Shards! Only $119.99USD to unlock!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

*looks mournfully at dungeon keeper phone game*

alas good and fun series of my childhood, gently caress you EA

*also looks mournfully at half-eaten chicken breast*

alas, good and delicious food. i cooked you too long and now you are dry.

Clawtopsy, I want to tell you a joke

Ahem

EA acquires lucrative Homestuck Adventure Game Brand

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Burkion posted:

Clawtopsy, I want to tell you a joke

Ahem

EA acquires lucrative Homestuck Adventure Game Brand

there's nowhere to go but up!!!!

alt: lol not even ea would acquire that stinker

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bioware exists, because EA allows it, and will end, because EA demands it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
TOR's still struggling along in poor, neglected Bioware Austin at least. Probably only a matter of time until Dragon Age gets the :commissar: treatment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn't TOR make a surprising amount of money off hardcore Star Wars fans buying loot boxes?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

there's nowhere to go but up!!!!

alt: lol not even ea would acquire that stinker

Homestuck managed to make Mass Effect 3's ending look good in comparison.

Not words I say lightly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Doesn't TOR make a surprising amount of money off hardcore Star Wars fans buying loot boxes?

From what I've heard, yes, though the population in the game is struggling. The last couple of expansions have been divisive, and the current endgame is not well thought out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Didn't they release a mmog expansion without raids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Didn't they release a mmog expansion without raids?

They did, and it also more or less completely rebooted the story and setting in favor of a linear corridor crawl where the PC is demoted to supporting character and a lot of the plot beats are just dumb - especially if you're not one of the Force-using classes.

It did have a lot of mechanical gameplay improvements, though, and some people do like the Fallen Empire story. Enough to get another expansion after that, but Fallen Empire is where I stopped playing the game.