Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This is a really pathetic looking slap fight.

Of all the performances in this movie, Dafne Keen really struck me as an actress to pay attention to as she gets more roles. I kind of want to watch The Refugees just because she has the main role in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol at how people have given up on defending in Logan on terms of its quality as cinema

what part of "that's not what this is about at all, this is about the quality of your posts in general" are you not comprehending

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone can agree that despite the very lame special effect used to represent psychic terror, the best part of the movie is when that mercenary in the hotel has to watch Wolverine slowly inch closer until he skewers his head.

And the truly wonderful part is that they made a superhero movie that's basically 90 minutes of that poor bastard's story over and over.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's a good enjoyable movie you twat. Are you also mad at all the people that enjoy sitcoms or whatever?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a good enjoyable movie

It had a bland script, boring action, forgettable direction, and wasted performances, so I doubt that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It had a bland script, boring action, forgettable direction, and wasted performances, so I doubt that.

interestingly enough, i enjoyed it, which is what i based my 'enjoyable movie' statement on

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Is this the Star Wars thread? You forgot bad cgi.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a good enjoyable movie you twat. Are you also mad at all the people that enjoy sitcoms or whatever?

Well, hold on a second. Surely any film should clear the extremely low bar set by sitcoms?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Is this the Star Wars thread? You forgot bad cgi.

I agree with BotL that it was extremely immature to have Logan step in the poopie.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I only really have two complaints about this movie:

1) Laura was such a threat on her own that Logan coming back and going full Berserker to save them kind of fell flat for me, since she could probably take out most of the guys herself anyway. I never felt she was in any real danger.

2) Clone should have been played by Liev Schreiber

The rest was loving sublime. Although seeing Stephen 'Oggmonster' Merchant in a Hollywood blockbuster will never not be weird as poo poo.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
So this isn't the thread for Logan Lucky?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

friendo posted:

So this isn't the thread for Logan Lucky?

No you, idoit! This is the Logan's Run thread.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I only really have two complaints about this movie:

1) Laura was such a threat on her own that Logan coming back and going full Berserker to save them kind of fell flat for me, since she could probably take out most of the guys herself anyway. I never felt she was in any real danger.

2) Clone should have been played by Liev Schreiber

The rest was loving sublime.

What did you find sublime about it? I thought it was rather prosaic:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Those sure are some screenshots.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think they were attempting to look like Excalibur so I'm not certain this is an honest comparison. It doesn't look like "The King's Speech" either, should I post a screencap of that and act like it means Logan isn't good?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The problem is that isn't a terrible shot from Logan and it's a not too good shot from Excalibur.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

LesterGroans posted:

The problem is that isn't a terrible shot from Logan and it's a not too good shot from Excalibur.

It's actually a pretty great shot from Excalibur, but Lamps meltdown is super strange because Logan isn't even a terrible looking movie.

Like, they seem to think a funny face ruins a shot's composition.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, Logan looks really cool. They were trying to evoke stuff like The Wrestler, not Excalibur. Which I said before, is kinda dishonest.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

wyoming posted:

Like, they seem to think a funny face ruins a shot's composition.

You're imagining this. I was talking about how dully prosaic the movie is as opposed to more fantastical imagery. Like your images are also a good argument for how unremarkable the visuals are.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

wyoming posted:

It's actually a pretty great shot from Excalibur, but Lamps meltdown is super strange because Logan isn't even a terrible looking movie.

Eh. I mean, Excalibur is a great looking movie, but I don't dig that shot he used. There are absolutely better moments from that scene that he could use.

I do think Logan looks good though. Specifically, the shots you used.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Excalibur is fuckin' dope, and should be lauded as such. Logan isn't as good as Excalibur, but is also doing something very different. Also, most movies aren't as good as Excalibur.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LesterGroans posted:

Eh. I mean, Excalibur is a great looking movie, but I don't dig that shot he used. There are absolutely better moments from that scene that he could use.

How about ths?

LesterGroans posted:

I do think Logan looks good though. Specifically, the shots you used.

Logan looks competent to good when it has these quieter moments with characters. The problem is that it's a super-violent near-future dystopian superhero sci-fi action movie. I don't know if wyoming excluded all that on purpose.

For example, there's this weird schizophrenic aspect in the movie where it's extremely violent but it tends to cut away from the violence quickly when it's directed at another faceless minion. Sometimes the violence is even obscured.

Wolverine cut that man's arm off. We don't see it happen, we only hear it.

This also has the effect of completely undermines the movie's mumbling about how violence is bad, since this makes it so affectless and normalized.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 24, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

This also has the effect of completely undermines the movie's mumbling about how violence is bad, since this makes it so affectless and normalized.

I think that's being a bit reductive. Yes, Logan is a superhero movie and Logan cuts through a ton of faceless mooks, but at the same time the movie goes pretty far out of its way to show the effect his violent tendencies can have on the people around him. Like a quarter of the movie is spent on showing you that unambiguously good people can easily get caught up in Logan's poo poo and that no matter how many guys he shreds there will always be innocents he can't shield from the fallout he himself has a hand in creating.

That's why death is a relief for him. He can die knowing that his final act was protecting innocent lives, and now that he's dead he won't have to live to see his efforts backfire on the people he tries to protect the way they have all his life.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 24, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

drat, I should check out Excalibur. Cheers for the pointer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Excalibur does indeed own.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Excalibur totally rules but just be warned it is very, very long.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Excalibur does indeed own.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's an incredible, mythic story of a declining hero facing his own weakness and his perverse offspring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Excalibur totally rules but just be warned it is very, very long.

Pretty much every blockbuster is around 2.5 hours these days so that's not a big deal

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That part was intense though. This reminds of how when that young guy gets his face smashed in in Fight Club, they made a super realistic gross range of prosthetics and stuff with the intention to show every single hit happening and destroying the guy's face even more, but then decided it was more effective by not showing it. Or like when that ear gets cut off in Resevoir Dogs, it was another point where originally it was going to happen on screen but Tarantino decided it would be more intense if it was implied rather than shown.

One of things that makes Logan's action great is that it displays a full spectrum of cinematic violence. And while compares itself to westerns all the time, reminds me of a gorier version of another great deconstruction of the myths of the wild west, Unforgiven. But while Unforgiven's characters give us a great meditation on different people's reactions to the use of and need for/unneeded violence, Logan addresses that more directly with how violence and action are portrayed in the movies it comes from. Not to say I think Logan is as good a film as Unforgiven, just they take similar approaches to their source material, with a pulp story's premise being torn to shreds even being a major plot point in each as a less glorious, realer "myth" emerges at the end. The other characters aren't consistent with this, but Logan himself has a slow steady increase in how gory his own actions are and I think that's a strength of the movie and not a mistake that normalizes violence. Like movies happened before Blade and X-Men 2000, the violence itself has been normalized effectively for our entire lives.

I do think the movie itself excludes a lot of the futuristic things some might have expected intentionally. I mean the movie's only set in 2029 it's not going to look like even the 90s X-Men comics as far as the kind of sci-fi poo poo they have flying around if they want it to be even close to grounded to anything. But it also works because the US is very specifically a bigoted shithole. They show that during the Mexican border scene check out the lines, it's a border where everyone's leaving the US and no one's coming in, and the US and its ideals are explicitly not worth fighting for or living for so our heroes' goal is to leave for Canada. When I saw it I got a really strong vibe of there being a brain drain throughout the US, and while maybe mutants don't necessarily automatically have it easy the minute they step out of US soil, the US dying from its own racist fears was definitely something I felt like the movie got across.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Excalibur is awesome but very very long, be warned. Also if you haven't seen Batman vs. Superman, it's not amazing but Snyder is a HUGE Excalibur fan and there are quite a few references to it (both as Easter eggs and some shot recreations) throughout it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pretty much every blockbuster is around 2.5 hours these days so that's not a big deal

True, but the pacing is quite different to modern fare. It's not glacial, but can definitely feel slow at times. Logan is 3 minutes shorter, but I don't think anyone would disagree that it feels shorter. Older movies have different pacing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think part of what makes it feel like that is that the film takes place over like 40 years.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

What did you find sublime about it? I thought it was rather prosaic:

I really have no interest in discussing anything with you.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hell yeah.

The next time I have 6 hours free I should do an Excalibur/BvS double feature.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think you'd love it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The next time I have 6 hours free I should do an Excalibur/BvS double feature.

I enjoyed doing this

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Excalibur is really worth watching, if for no other reason than it seems to be the last truly mythological take we're going to get on Arthur. Every other take has been some kind of ironic, post modern or de-mythologised take, whether its some kind of quasi historical thing, recasting him as a cockney urchin, showing it through the eyes of a young, bumbling Merlin, or whatever the gently caress Camelot was trying to do (keep James Purefoy employed, I guess)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
login is a bad movie. bad directing bad acting and bad writen. the cgi is bad. i cringed at the bad violents.

too prove my pointe, hear is a unrelated screenshot

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

UmOk posted:

login is a bad movie. bad directing bad acting and bad writen. the cgi is bad. i cringed at the bad violents.

too prove my pointe, hear is a unrelated screenshot

I agree, people say the violence is good, but it is actually bad. To further prove the point, here's a screencap of the violence in Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed showing the disturbing violence much clearer than Logan does.

Just so I'm not shitposting, Excalibur does indeed look pretty drat great and right up my ally. Definitely giving that a shot, so at least this crap contributed something good to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol at people trying to defend the movie by negation - the idea is that if you make it seem that criticizing the movie in simple terms is absurd, then the movie is somehow good.

The way more effective method would be to try to say why the movie is good. But I guess we'll never find out what makes Logan sublime.

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's being a bit reductive. Yes, Logan is a superhero movie and Logan cuts through a ton of faceless mooks, but at the same time the movie goes pretty far out of its way to show the effect his violent tendencies can have on the people around him.

That's just banal. Movies like Dredd and John Wick are great because their use of violence has a sense of genuine of narrative purpose to it. Dredd takes the pains to give every faceless mook a very human face in contrast to Dredd, so that no matter what scumbags they are, their annihilation ends up being too much (hence Anderson's decision at the end). John Wick is oddly convincing in how it uses the trappings of nihilistic action movies to explore feelings of anomie with how repulsive its slick action and comic book world of assassins ultimately is. Logan is lacking real narrative purpose beyond platitudes, like the half-hearted quotation of Shane (you have to wonder if the character of Laura even understands what she's repeating).

Neo Rasa posted:

One of things that makes Logan's action great is that it displays a full spectrum of cinematic violence.

It's mostly just rather incoherent in that it lacks a real narrative dimension, like most of Logan's action. The opening carjacking scene is really strange because compared to the rest it feels like it comes out of another movie all-together, with what having a clear sense of flow and progression to it. And that part where Wolverine disarms the shotgun-wielding man, only for the shotgun shoot at his car after dropping to the ground had actual wit to it. But even then you can see the problems like the fundamentally inconsistent approach to violence and the crippling over-dependence on sound effects for the action.

The liberal fantasy is aspect dumb, but no doubt a big factor in its success. The movie ended up appealing to Clintonites' feelings of dejection and political impotence, but lol at people imagining that the rest of the world is somehow more progressive and open-minded than America.

• Locked thread