Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hazzard posted:

Is it just Longsword that has problems? Because I have never heard charges of excessive force leveled in one handed weapon tournaments, but those are quite rare.

Rub some dirt on it and suck it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

On a related note, hey ImplicitAssembler, do you know any good sources on early Japanese swordy competitions?

It's interesting to watch the HEMA discussion:
If you want a realistic simulation of combat, with more or less realistic weapons, then you are always going to have injury problems, unless you put on a serious amount of armor.
You can then mandate that all attacks needs to be 'pulled', but this will undermine it's value as a realistic simulation.
You can modify the weapons (lighter, more flexible), but then unrealistic techniques will become viable and 'historical' techniques may become impractical.

You'll still struggle to validate it technically, because you still can't actually cut into/through the opponent and you end up with hitting rather than cutting and all of those issues will become more and more apparent as the practitioners become more and more athletic. Rugby, for example, had to greatly modify it's approach when it started turning professional, as the the players become stronger and faster, hits became harder and injury-rates went through the roof.

I have no specific sources on early competitions in feudal. My understanding is that they weren't common and were mostly fought with bokutos (wooden swords).
Some duels were also fought with wooden weapons (Musashi did several, even before his famous duel with Sasaki Kojiro).
Sparring in dojos was initially done with wooden weapons, but injuries was a problem. (some fatal).
Same reason why most traditional sword arts are purely kata-based.
This spawned the fukuro-shinai, which is a piece of bamboo, which, apart from the handle, is split into 8+ strips and covered in leather. It also only weighs about 500 grams.
This in turn led to the invention of the kendo-style armor and the modern shinai.
Kendo then again got further distilled, with limited targets and a fairly stringent set of criteria for what constitutes a point in an attempt to capture the essence and finality of a duel.
Intention and commitment is key and the requirement of 'finishing' a technique attempts to take it away from 'just hitting'.

HEMA is clearly facing the same dilemma and it'll be interesting to see how it goes about it. The biggest problem, I think, is that with people already making money from it, it's going to be very hard to get those people to agree.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I recall Ellis Amdur writes that sometime in the late Edo period, people in rural towns were really into fencing competitions. I need to dig out Old School again, after I'm done with all these books on early modern duels in Europe. At least Amdur shows his drat work. :argh:

On an unrelated note HEY GAIL check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw2a_j9CLwE

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
How did they overturn the weapon control after the sword hunt? Wouldn't that be a big concern?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

My guess is it wasn't enforced after a bit, but I'll look it up sometime soon.

Fencing world champs are on, by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxQgeNpX0x4

Edit: Man, Olga Kharlan just murdered a woman.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Aww yeah, some good matches here from the women's foil / men's sabre: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Q8EVxJLVA

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if i had to do it over again, i'd order my sword with a blued hilt. My entire life is a cycle of sanding the thing, oiling it, and waiting for rust to pop up again. Don't make the same mistake i did

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hazzard posted:

How did they overturn the weapon control after the sword hunt? Wouldn't that be a big concern?
Finally got my poo poo together and looked up the chapter. Cliff's notes: By the 18th century, the line between a low-ranking samurai and a prosperous peasant's grown real fuzzy everywhere that isn't the capital, and local authorities aren't strong enough to enforce a total ban on all weapons. So instead, they restrict rowdy things like festivals, firefighters' guilds and unlicensed martial arts schools, and form militias to keep the peace – and license local schools to train them. And since the Edo period is a peaceful sort of time, people have lots of time to debate whether someone from a school that only does kata (like a gentleman) could beat up someone who competes.

Also apparently six-foot shinai were a thing in certain schools.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Holy balls this FIE stream keeps finding new and amazing ways to be bad. Now the sound is off-sync. :negative:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Siivola posted:

Holy balls this FIE stream keeps finding new and amazing ways to be bad. Now the sound is off-sync. :negative:

My live-feed was ok, but I wanted to go back and see the womens sabre and it was several seconds off.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
God bless MCW

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
He's totally covering target with his foot.

look at that reversal of shoulders.

I guess you can just run over your opponents if you have a World Cup gold.

God, where do they get these amateurs from? :smug:

Did I miss any wrong takes for that clip?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

God bless MCW

What an absurd touch. :allears:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

BirdOfPlay posted:

He's totally covering target with his foot.

look at that reversal of shoulders.

I guess you can just run over your opponents if you have a World Cup gold.

God, where do they get these amateurs from? :smug:

"That wouldn't work with a real sword"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh Miles . :stwoon:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

Uh, was Avola flinching in anticipation of being kneed in the face?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Let's not give MCW all the credit, Alex had this one, which feels oddly pedestrian (from USA Fencing's facebook page)

Crazy Achmed posted:

Uh, was Avola flinching in anticipation of being kneed in the face?

I think he knew what was about to happen and was trying to remove the target. From that position -- leg up or down -- that was the only place Miles could really go to (he started going high, but you can tell the angle wasn't there for that). And/or he got hit in the balls.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Fightcamp removed shield and sword, as well as spear from the melee. This is very sad.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dupersaurus posted:

Let's not give MCW all the credit, Alex had this one, which feels oddly pedestrian (from USA Fencing's facebook page)

That is pretty badass, I haven't yet watched the bout but I really hope that touch was in time.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://vimeo.com/158351570

A reminder that this exists.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFik9nlBcw :v:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I wish Windlass would pay me to hock their crap.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shot 1
Why. Why couldn't he have done a few more takes on that opening? It looks like he forgot who made the drat thing! I mean, it was probably just to match the word with the step, but even that's dumb and doesn't really add anything.

Shot 2
What was that zoom after the intro credits? If you forgot to zoom in for a 3/4 (American, for my French readers) shot, cut and restart. If you did that on purpose, you are a dumb. Nothing was happening and the change was too small for that (but still big enough to be noticed.) Also, there is no need for those minor camera adjustments, which, again, are just big enough to be noticed. Let him work the frame, you've given him enough space to work with.

Shot 3
This shot is far too long. With his hits lacking punch* and his bad form, the slow down adds nothing. Honestly, a montage sequence of slow, impactful* hits would've been a better replacement for this shot. Audiences already read montages as a lengthy passage of time; you don't need to bore them with an over-long, slowed-down shot to get the same message across.

Shot 4
Again, fluubbed a line. Why go speech -> take cutting stance -> cut pumpkin -> resume speech? Either: take longer getting into you stance and add a delay (builds up tension, this is a good thing!) or start out already in your stance or close to it (this would try into your followup line of how easy it is, but the timing of talking -> cut must be shorter!). And that fade out is badly timed, let the audience relish in the aftermath of your cut! But it was also an editing cover because of poor planning, I can see you about to take another swing as the fade continues.

Shots 5 through 6
Oh, so you do know what a montage is! Kinda. :geno:
Yeah, there aren't enough shots here to have a nice sequence; there's literally just 2. But hey, the shots were mostly well put together, and (see?) the slow motion feels right because people want to revel in these hits. The only problem is the hit in 6, he's gotta follow through with it. Locking up and not moving like that seems wrong next to the sliced pumpkin: this is bad tension.

Shot 7**
Waoh, there's a lot going wrong here. The camera movement isn't good, and it's especially apparent because of the framing. His head, and sometimes feet, are regularly being chopped off. He also partially leaves the frame several times, because he's not on his vertical third line. Also, I saw that zoom out.

Shot 8**
Ok, I'm legitimately impressed: that cut to closeup worked well and was nearly perfectly timed. Bravo! The problem with a close, though, is that the bad camera movement and framing issues just become even more amplified. Part of this is also because of his movement, he's far too active for this shot. Finally, we stay with this shot for too long; we should've left when he was about to get into his stance, not during it.

Shot 9**
And cut back to a full shot! Unfortunately, the actions in the first half don't really show variety, as was promised in Shot 8. The hits aren't impactful and don't speak for themselves, and any message to be communicated by the totality is lost in its length. Also, he routinely exits the frame for his final hits; where was the camera movement then? The final bit of dialogue tries to segue off of the action from the first half, but as discussed there wasn't much of a message coming from that. The message certainly wasn't to the longsword's versatility.

Shots 10 & 11
We cut to the first promotional insert after he mentioned the sword's name in the previous shot, and it becomes clear that this was an advertisement. Nothing preceding this point in the clip, save mentioning the sword was a Bosworth, has focused on the properties of this sword, just longswords in general. While it could be argued that this was just product placement in a regular video, the video's very title claimed this to be an advert. Why should I buy a something (much less a longsword!) without learning any of its qualities?

* I'm using "lacking punch" and "impactful" to describe how the actions look and feel as a viewer, not as someone with a knowledge of swords.
** Upon closer inspection, these "shots" are, likely, fabrications and were made in editing. Shots 7 and 9 utilize the full frame, and Shot 8 is faked by cropping that shot to just the close up. This makes the framing issues even worse, because they would've been able to keep him in frame adjusting it in post.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The slow motion sequence of him hitting the wooden pole over and over again is magical. The unbridled fury on his face. Giving it a good kick for that last blow or two. The little opening in his top where you can see his bellybutton.

In other news, :rip: my BF foil blade, 2009-2017. Lost its tip 3 or 4 times, never needed rewiring, didn't actually break but I called it quits yesterday when I noticed it was developing a disturbing curve to the right (and I'm RH). Less flicky than some epees I've seen but not really a broomstick. You will be missed, my old friend.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 13, 2017

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I went to Fight Camp. It was fun, except for my food poisoning and too much alcohol. I met famous people! And my and friends are now competing to see who can get the most famous people on Facebook.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Helsinki Bolognese Open is coming up again in November, but I feel really ehhhh about it. Like, on one hand HEMA competitions are great fun, but on the other I'd have to buy a bunch of gear to feel safe competing. And if the ruleset's like last year's, I don't think I want to try judging either. Last year got a fair bit of flak for all the rookie judges.

And it's like two weeks after the foil tournament my club's hosting, and I need at least a licence and a plastron for that as well.

Basically, :retrogames:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

A plastron is a relatively inexpensive and good thing to have. But what's the licence? Nobody I know has any kind of sword licence.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

A plastron is a relatively inexpensive and good thing to have. But what's the licence? Nobody I know has any kind of sword licence.
Maybe a license to compete like how you have to pay for a USFA membership in order to compete in USFA tournaments? That's about the only thing I can think of, and the fee is pretty steep if you're only planning on a few tournaments a year.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, exactly that. It comes with an insurance that covers any accidents during practice and events, so it's not a bad deal.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Siivola posted:

Yeah, exactly that. It comes with an insurance that covers any accidents during practice and events, so it's not a bad deal.

Interesting. USFA wraps all that up for fencers in its membership, but it's a several thousand (tens of thousand?) strong NGO. USFA can probably score decent group rates, and it'd be a pain in the rear end to confirm insurance for fencers AND make sure the fencer covered wherever they're fencing.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Give it time, the UK will need one soon.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I believe it's only samurai swords that are 'banned'. Straight swords are obviously much less dangerous and doesn't require banning.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Our Government is about to tighten knife laws again. I wouldn't put it past them.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I believe it's only samurai swords that are 'banned'. Straight swords are obviously much less dangerous and doesn't require banning.

Well duh, you can't cut through a concrete beam with a straight sword.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Just started the Bolognese beginner's course yesterday and I'm already browsing webstores and looking at gear. It feels extremely interesting. Might even make it to the Helsinki Bolognese Open, but I expect to get flattened there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:yeah:

Let me know if you need to borrow some kit once y'all start sparring.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What's everyone's favorite swordfighting movies/TV shows. I was laid off early this month and Highlander the Series has been my nostalgic show to watch while I job search. In addition I've watched Into the Badlands, Highlander, The Cannon Films 80's ninja movies, The Hunted, the 90's Disney Three Musketeers, and Princess Bride.

On the horizon I've got 13 Assassins, Rob Roy, Braveheart, 300, Last Samurai, and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Any other suggestions?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the duelists, the deluge, that wire fu three musketeers, videos czechs put out on the internet themselves,etc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ive heard a lot of praise for Le Bossu but haven't yet managed to run into it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nobody mentioned the princess bride yet? For shame.