Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I applaud their dedication to making their minis look like someone's deviantart account circa 2005.

Would totally go for a non-tiddy version of that tech priestess though.

Good news, there is one: https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/mechanic-adepts/mechanic-adept-female-tech-priest-domina-pin-up/

In looking for that I just noticed sexy Tau and sexy Necrons :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It's a shame that they are so cheesecake, the female commissars are a decent sculpt and would be nice to mix up my all same monopose commissars I currently have.

What's the etiquette on just chilling and painting in a GW store? My training course is ending way earlier than expected and I have about 5 hours to kill, and my options are either day drinking by myself or painting the boys I glued together at the hotel.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Corrode posted:

Good news, there is one: https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/mechanic-adepts/mechanic-adept-female-tech-priest-domina-pin-up/

In looking for that I just noticed sexy Tau and sexy Necrons :psyduck:

Haha, "Necro cyborg ladies pack". How wonderful life is.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The Alphic Hydras were in the first Scions book and their fluff talks about how they appeared from nowhere and are masters of infiltration and sabotage, and have quickly become among the Ultramarines' most treasured non-Astartes allies. :v:

lol

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

So what's up with Baneblades this edition? Are they any good? Useless? I have one which has never seen the table and I'm wondering if now is the time.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Amidst the cheesecake, war game exclusive makes some really good stuff though. Their Tau characters (the males)' are awesome and full of actual personality with some great dynamic sculpts. They also make some sweet chaos space marine bits (heads, pads, etc.). Their female warp spiders are also not gratuitous and look much more agile than official sculpts.

But yeah, a lot of their poo poo if god drat awful. Raging heroes is the same way.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, it's a shame. I'd gladly support them if it wasn't for the stupid cheesecake titty figures. Those Imperial Cars are awesome.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It's a shame that they are so cheesecake, the female commissars are a decent sculpt and would be nice to mix up my all same monopose commissars I currently have.

What's the etiquette on just chilling and painting in a GW store? My training course is ending way earlier than expected and I have about 5 hours to kill, and my options are either day drinking by myself or painting the boys I glued together at the hotel.

Pretty much every GW store I've been to has dedicated table space and supplies for building and painting in-store. It's convenient for you and is a way for them to market their products to customers walking through. Unless you hog all the space all day or are generally obnoxious they welcome it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Corrode posted:

So what's up with Baneblades this edition? Are they any good? Useless? I have one which has never seen the table and I'm wondering if now is the time.

Hitting things on 5s if they move at all really hurts them. Combine that with demolisher and battle cannons being incredibly swingy and you're spending a ton of points on a big block of wounds that can't reliably damage anything and does a worse job of holding objectives than a pair of conscripts.

E: 499 points before sponsons :eyepop:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 25, 2017

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Thing is, I'd even like the Titty Tech Priest if it wasn't so gratuitous. The armoured one loses all shape again, whilst the grey flesh with the wire really works. But it's just so drat awful otherwise that it'd be a crime to own.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

Hitting things on 5s if they move at all really hurts them. Combine that with demolisher and battle cannons being incredibly swingy and you're spending a ton of points on a big block of wounds that can't reliably damage anything and does a worse job of holding objectives than a pair of conscripts.

That's a shame. In the shoebox it stays then.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

On the other hand you can field a Stormlord for ~600pts that puts out:
20 mega-bolter shots
30 heavy bolter shots
9 heavy stubber shots
4 lascannon shots

Then pile 10 weapons teams on its firing deck with a bunch more heavy bolters for good measure. Just don't move it anywhere.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Corrode posted:

The Shadowsword is reliably amazing if it has something to give it re-rolls to hit near it (a trojan, Yarrick if you're playing orks). Other than that they're way too pricey for what they do.

Take 4 Manticores instead.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adamantium|wang posted:

I mean, what reason would you ever have to move a baneblade, though? Most of its weapons are stretching out to the other end of the table anyway and its main gun, even if you roll average, will ruin any other large target it hits. If you plonk a commander that gives re-rolls next to it, even better.

Note: I don't play guard. I have never played guard. All i know, i know from that Cooler fucker with the variant with four heavy flamers.

Have a vid where he pits two superheavy tanks and scions against four knights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIIe6PvEnkg

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Shadowsword vs Knights, or any superheavy for that matter makes for some of 8th's most hilariously short games. At ATC one of my teammates had 2 Shadowswords 1 Stormlord and 1 Onager for 4 drops. Had the poor luck of getting a guy with 2 Shadowswords and 1 Stormlord for a total of 3 drops. He failed to seize and the game ended in 5 minutes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

These guys are so the Alpha Legion it hurts.

quote:

Some within the Ordo Tempestus whisper that some of the regiment's best young Scions have even been recruited by the Adeptus Astartes.
This can only end well.

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, it's a shame. I'd gladly support them if it wasn't for the stupid cheesecake titty figures. Those Imperial Cars are awesome.
Then buy the cars and don't buy the cheesecake models? Problem solved.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Shadowsword vs Knights, or any superheavy for that matter makes for some of 8th's most hilariously short games. At ATC one of my teammates had 2 Shadowswords 1 Stormlord and 1 Onager for 4 drops. Had the poor luck of getting a guy with 2 Shadowswords and 1 Stormlord for a total of 3 drops. He failed to seize and the game ended in 5 minutes.

And that is why the lower drops/always go first system is dumb as gently caress.

But yes, almost every game I've had against lords of war that aren't bobby G have been hilariously one sided. Usually the superheavy is nothing but a liability.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone know how many dudes and vehicles you can get with a forgeworld etched brass transfer set

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It's changed now anyway. +1 is much better.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

berzerkmonkey posted:

This can only end well..

I want Alpha Legion Double Astartes to be the Chaos Primaris equivalent.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Floppychop posted:

I'm kind of iffy on buying and playing with certain Malifaux models because of that reason. I just don't need that much T&A in my miniatures games.

For example, these two. Granted it's 2D but the minis are basically identical.

The one on the left isn't great, but it's okay. The one on the right is just gratuitous.

In their defense, they did listen to the mild outcry when that art came out and change the model to be wearing something under the vest.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Corrode posted:

It's changed now anyway. +1 is much better.

+100% agree.

So my crew is going to Flying Monkey in Wichita next weekend. Any of you fucks coming? I'm planning on bringing Ultrabros and guard because I am scum.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Naramyth posted:

+100% agree.

So my crew is going to Flying Monkey in Wichita next weekend. Any of you fucks coming? I'm planning on bringing Ultrabros and guard because I am scum.

You aren't scum if your Guard are painted as Alphic Hydras.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

You aren't scum if your Guard are painted as Alphic Hydras.

Dude. My guard have been OG X-COM painted since I started this gay dead game.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

Dude. My guard have been OG X-COM painted since I started this gay dead game.

It's the role Catachan heads were born to play.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

PierreTheMime posted:

Pretty much every GW store I've been to has dedicated table space and supplies for building and painting in-store. It's convenient for you and is a way for them to market their products to customers walking through. Unless you hog all the space all day or are generally obnoxious they welcome it.

I don't know if it's still the case, or the same outside England, but GW employees certainly didn't used to be salespeople, weirdly. Like they were there to explain and encourage the hobby, as like, stewards. So demonstrating games and having people come in and paint and hang out was like, their job, and then working the till a sort of secondary component to that, in that it helped people enjoy the hobby, if that makes sense?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

!Klams posted:

I don't know if it's still the case, or the same outside England, but GW employees certainly didn't used to be salespeople, weirdly. Like they were there to explain and encourage the hobby, as like, stewards. So demonstrating games and having people come in and paint and hang out was like, their job, and then working the till a sort of secondary component to that, in that it helped people enjoy the hobby, if that makes sense?

That was before most American GW stores moved to single-person staffs. When you had multiple people you could do that. Now they have to kick people out of the store to even go to the bathroom.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JoshTheStampede posted:

That was before most American GW stores moved to single-person staffs. When you had multiple people you could do that. Now they have to kick people out of the store to even go to the bathroom.

I had a manager once hide and pretend he wasn't in because he'd sold my pre order of the, I wanna say sixth edition rulebook, and they wouldn't refund my five pounds.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

!Klams posted:

They have been salespeople first and hobbyists second for at least a decade. They're mostly poo poo at it, but still.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Corrode posted:

They have been salespeople first and hobbyists second for at least a decade. They're mostly poo poo at it, but still.

sorry, I didn't finish my story above, was meant to say, because of the dude being a CuntLord I promised to never set foot in a gw again, so I don't know what they're like now. Doesn't surprise me.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

How do people like to build their Intercessors? I have one multi part kit and I used 5 of those to add variety to my Dark Imperium monopose squads and have 3 units of 5 bolt rifles, sprinkle grenade launchers in there and so on.

I'm wondering what to do with the other 5: I think they would look cool with the assault bolter and knives, maybe sticking with that assault bolter lieutenant, but Stalker bolter rifles would fit the theme of my Raptors army.

Help me decide pls, fellow hams

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ayn Marx posted:

How do people like to build their Intercessors? I have one multi part kit and I used 5 of those to add variety to my Dark Imperium monopose squads and have 3 units of 5 bolt rifles, sprinkle grenade launchers in there and so on.

I'm wondering what to do with the other 5: I think they would look cool with the assault bolter and knives, maybe sticking with that assault bolter lieutenant, but Stalker bolter rifles would fit the theme of my Raptors army.

Help me decide pls, fellow hams

Bolt Rifles or Stalkers for me. Assault Bolter Intercessors are strictly worse than Reivers, except for having ObSec.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Bolt Rifles or Stalkers for me. Assault Bolter Intercessors are strictly worse than Reivers, except for having ObSec.

Thanks. Stalker rifles it is then!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Then buy the cars and don't buy the cheesecake models? Problem solved.

It's more about not supporting a company that thinks its OK to produce those minis.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

It's more about not supporting a company that thinks its OK to produce those minis.

I hate to be devil's advocate for gently caress models, but what's not okay about it? I think companies actually producing games should be conscious about making their models gross and sexual but if third parties want to fill niche for horned up weirdos I don't see it as "not okay." I get not wanting to support a company you see as distasteful, I'm just curious about the wording.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Zark the Damned posted:

One could make the argument that if no one buys their sensible models then all that sells is their gross poo poo which means they'll just make more gross poo poo.

But I can also see where you're coming from.

Their stuff is done in the Ukraine I believe and I imagine a lot of sculptors are just at the whims of the market trying to make a living.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Nothing to cool to show off, but just finished a couple weeks painting 6 Missile Launchers and 4 Heavy Bolters to fill my heavy weapon gaps. I have a bunch of Grav-Cannons and Multi-Meltas from 7th Edition.

I am glad I magnetized a good chunk of my models as it was so much easier to paint 10 weapons, arms, and backpacks than it was entire models. I don't see tactical Marines finding a way back into my competitive lists anytime soon, they just suck.

Naramyth posted:

And that is why the lower drops/always go first system is dumb as gently caress.

But yes, almost every game I've had against lords of war that aren't bobby G have been hilariously one sided. Usually the superheavy is nothing but a liability.

I don't know. I've seen 3 Knight lists still putting in work, they aren't taking top spots at tournaments, but they aren't getting totally skunked either. 3 Knights with a script screen and anti-psyker support can still be hard to crack without a crapload of AT weaponry.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 25, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

I don't know. I've seen 3 Knight lists still putting in work, they aren't taking top spots at tournaments, but they aren't getting totally skunked either. 3 Knights with a script screen and anti-psyker support can still be hard to crack without a crapload of AT weaponry.

Yeah. It's like how knights were before: either you built around bumping into them, or you didn't. But that's a step 0 list building problem.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

Philip Morris owns Kraft Foods. Do you not buy anything Kraft because you don't want to support a tobacco company? I mean, it's one thing to boycott a company that is actively hurting people (like say, Nestle), but when you buy toy cars from a company that produces sexy models, you're telling them "Hey - I like your toy cars, but not your sexy models. Maybe you should put more effort into making more cool toy cars."

But by all means, do whatever floats your boat.

EDIT: Ah poo poo, bonds0097 pretty much said the same thing. That's what I get for leaving the page open too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Naramyth posted:

Yeah. It's like how knights were before: either you built around bumping into them, or you didn't. But that's a step 0 list building problem.

Sideboards should be a codified part of the rules.