Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God drat, what a cool fight.

I love the two quirks these guys had. Truth Teller seems very powerful, especially for a mob boss. I assumed the drunk guy would have a quirk that transfers his drunkenness to people nearby, but no turns out he just like drinking. Gotta be thematic if you wanna be a successful villain, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

JahRoo posted:

Mirios quirk hasn't been shown to apply to anything except himself and his costume (which is made of his hair). I don't think he would be able to leave the way he came without leaving Eri behind.

This will be tough then. We know Shisaki has top tier physical abilities for someone with a non-physical ability quirk. And we don't know if he can activate his ability with something other than his hands. I don't want Mirio to die here...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mirio is insanely sick and fully dope namasté

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

That'll be Twice's move

no, that's twice's backstory

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
"He won't run away anymore!" :ohdear:

Now we can accept this arc is about overcoming mental weaknesses?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

God drat, what a cool fight.

I love the two quirks these guys had. Truth Teller seems very powerful, especially for a mob boss. I assumed the drunk guy would have a quirk that transfers his drunkenness to people nearby, but no turns out he just like drinking. Gotta be thematic if you wanna be a successful villain, I suppose.

The drinking might be a condition for his quirk, like how that 1-A kid has to eat sugar to get super strength.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

JahRoo posted:

Mirios quirk hasn't been shown to apply to anything except himself and his costume (which is made of his hair). I don't think he would be able to leave the way he came without leaving Eri behind.

That's what i was wondering, too. This is gonna be interesting.
Maybe he can just drop so his legs go underground and shoot out for a speed boost that way?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Grouchio posted:

You mean the Barber Paradox stemmed from Bertrand Russell's early works?

I was thinking more Professor Layton:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like that Suneater inspires Mirio as much as he inspires Suneater, such pure good boys :kimchi:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

JahRoo posted:

I forgot about that. He really didn't think far beyond "Must save little girl and make up for my gently caress up." As far as he knows--there may no longer be a way back to the rest of the group or the entrance and he doesn't have the means to break through walls.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm assuming his plan was to snatch up Eri before they could get away with her, in order to buy time for his buds to arrive.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ChronoReverse posted:

This will be tough then. We know Shisaki has top tier physical abilities for someone with a non-physical ability quirk. And we don't know if he can activate his ability with something other than his hands. I don't want Mirio to die here...

The two times he used his ability against the Villian Alliance he used his hands, at least. It also very explicitly showed him removing his gloves. That, combined with the fact that he dodged Mirio instead of gibing him, makes it seem to me like touching his target with a hand is key. Though it does appear that it doesn't need to be more than a finger. There is a slim chance that he can activate his power on anything he's touching and just chooses not to because he's so disgusted by the results of using his power on people.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

It's kind of weird how much this thread hates old grapeballs given it's 40% people letting everyone know what they just jacked off to.

and you're not gonna contribute??????????

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mirio can't go fully intangible anymore holding Eri and he can't noclip his way to safety either so he still has Overhaul and Cronostasis to deal with.

I unironically hope he fails since he's just been too good up to this point for a series where basically everyone struggles at one point or another.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vengarr posted:

"He won't run away anymore!" :ohdear:

Now we can accept this arc is about overcoming mental weaknesses?

Can't run away if you're splattered all over a wall :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I actually stopped reading for a moment becuase I thought Mirio was just telling them his ability like he was a character from Bleach and then it turned out to be a quirk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Mirio can't go fully intangible anymore holding Eri and he can't noclip his way to safety either so he still has Overhaul and Cronostasis to deal with.

I unironically hope he fails since he's just been too good up to this point for a series where basically everyone struggles at one point or another.

they said he's the closest to being the next all might and that he's better than most pros. he has struggled, just not in a fight (of which he's been in all of 2 so far, against underclassmen and some henchmen) so give him a break

you will likely get your wish either way since this is deku's story, not mirio's

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Only with this chapter did I realize he took his hero name from his real name :downs:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Only with this chapter did I realize he took his hero name from his real name :downs:

Who, Mirio? Where do you see Mirio in Lemillion... ah. :saddowns:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

tap my mountain posted:

I didn't realize it either but this is a Japanese series so I'm not surprised either.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The heroes are there to save Eri -and- capture Overhaul. If Mirio runs off now, he can't be sure that the rest of the group will be able to do the latter.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think he can run away, anyway. Unless he can make Eri go through walls, he can't go the way he came.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Electric Phantasm posted:

I actually stopped reading for a moment becuase I thought Mirio was just telling them his ability like he was a character from Bleach and then it turned out to be a quirk.

Wrong member of the big three fought truth man, imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Phantom Menace was a phenomenal attack and also attack name

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Given that Horikoshi is a mega-nerd, I feel like that is what he was going for as a gag.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I still love that, as revealed a chapter ago, Shigaraki probably planned for that guy's power because clearly he wanted Toga and Twice to gently caress up the yakuza, but when that guy asked them if Shiggy gave them any plans to betray them, they both said no. (Also, in retrospect, that's why the two of them just blurted their powers out. At first I thought that was just Twice being his usual weird self (though he noted that it was abnormal even for him) and then Toga followed his lead.) So they actually weren't told any plans to betray the yakuza and Shigaraki was just counting on them to gently caress things up eventually because, well, it's Toga and Twice. It's great.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I don't think that Mirio is going to die. A huge theme of the manga is that All Might's concept of a single Pillar of Justice is really short-sighted and unrealistic, and that it's not practical for him to be putting all this responsibility on Deku's shoulders. Heroes work better as teams than individuals. I think what we're going to see in this arc that neither Deku or Mirio are the perfect successor to All Might, both have flaws which they need other people to cover. Heck, we recently saw in Illegals that even All Might was a much better hero when he had Nighteye or someone to do his paperwork.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LostRook posted:

I was thinking more Professor Layton:

There are more available hints for that puzzle than there are potential answers. :psyduck:

1: Who cuts a barber's hair?
2: The answer is A. Just pick A.
3: You are so bad at this game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All Might being the single infallible Symbol of Peace was clearly the wrong way to do things because of the situation the world is in now and it's clear Horikoshi is setting up this generation as a bunch of legendary heroes. Still I expect Deku to be the greatest though the dub and CR sub says "This is the story of how I became the greatest hero" but the VIZ manga says "a great hero". I don't know if Mirio will fail here or display some flaw but I do think that Deku has to be shown to be THE right choice and not just A right choice.

Hentai Tentacle Demon
Apr 12, 2002

Spacy Spicy Love
I haven't seen the raws of the manga, but in the anime the word Deku uses is "saikou."

最 (sai, “most”) +‎ 高 (kō, “high”)

最高 = The highest; the best; supreme

You can refer to 1:50 into episode 14 to hear him say it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
TBH I wouldn't be surprised if the actual ending is Deku permanently wrecking his limbs but being known as the honorary "best hero" by using his super nerd skills to make really amazing hero costumes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

I haven't seen the raws of the manga, but in the anime the word Deku uses is "saikou."

最 (sai, “most”) +‎ 高 (kō, “high”)

最高 = The highest; the best; supreme

You can refer to 1:50 into episode 14 to hear him say it.

No I totally believe you and was wondering when I wrote it out if the anime differed to the manga! I did some quick googling but can't find the first chapter in Japanese to check

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I still expect the twist to be that this is actually mah boi Bakugo's story to become the number 1 hero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

And then he goes wide-eyed all, "Wait, why did I do that? That was stupid! It was a stupid thing I just did!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I caught up on this after falling off a few months back and all I wanna say is that I keep reading Mirio's hero name is Lemonizer for some reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I caught up on this after falling off a few months back and all I wanna say is that I keep reading Mirio's hero name is Lemonizer for some reason.
It might be a cool name to the Japanese ear, but I just can't stop thinking of Chamillionarie.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

All Might being the single infallible Symbol of Peace was clearly the wrong way to do things because of the situation the world is in now and it's clear Horikoshi is setting up this generation as a bunch of legendary heroes. Still I expect Deku to be the greatest though the dub and CR sub says "This is the story of how I became the greatest hero" but the VIZ manga says "a great hero". I don't know if Mirio will fail here or display some flaw but I do think that Deku has to be shown to be THE right choice and not just A right choice.

No, being the Symbol of Peace was clearly the _right_ thing to do during All Might's time but with Deku's time it doesn't appear to be the correct way anymore.

You have to keep in mind that the world was far worse before All Might showed up and that crime rate wasn't going down despite the efforts of heroes. A large percentage of the current pro and student heroes were all inspired by All Might to become heroes!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All Might wasn't wrong to do what he did but the world was wrong to have no thoughts about what would happen when he stopped.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ultimately I think All Might's legacy as the symbol of peace will have inspired countless heroes who will take his place

And honestly since AfO is out of the picture too for the most part it's not likely that they will have to deal with any sort of nationwide/worldwide crisis for a while. Everything's been pretty small in scope so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

All Might wasn't wrong to do what he did but the world was wrong to have no thoughts about what would happen when he stopped.
The world wasn't really in any position to do that until a few years before MHA started (when All Might finally defeated AFO and had his guts destroyed). It was still desperately in the lock of the villains at that point even as All Might had been tearing them down until AFO was forced to show up in person.

We have to keep in mind that the concept of the Symbol of Peace was created by All Might and propagated by him to achieve a purpose. Which it in fact did. Now that we're in Deku's era, it's clear that the Symbol of Peace needs to change but it wasn't wrong until recently.