Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I just received an automated email from YouTube saying that the channel that I'm an admin for has had a video removed for violating their guidelines. I understand the guidelines are there for a reason but the video that was flagged was a Board of Supervisors meeting that the major topic was dealing with a Cannabis Land Use Ordinance. This was a local government meeting that aired live on tv and on the county website, I'm not sure how anything that happened in the meeting violated the guidelines other than if there is one for being boring as hell. The only thing I can think caused this is some person flagged the video by hand and they went through the automated transcript and that caused the violation.

Now I get to appeal the verdict but in the meantime we can't stream anything live, which unless google is quick means the proposed budget hearing we have scheduled for Monday evening isn't gonna be streamed and that is gonna piss off a bunch of people.

What isn't pissing me off is thanks to Thanks Ants, I'm now sending video across several T-1 networks to cable companies and is seems to be working much better than the old system that involved several computers running unpatched, but not on a network, Windows NT 4. It's gonna be great to see those pieces of trash hauled off to e-waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Thanks Thanks Ants?

Ththants?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

Lol at people not keeping personal archives of everything you've done at work.

You know, its a few pages ago, but something I've been wondering about for a while.

Everyone says have a CYA folder, etc. Permissions to do things so that it doesn't fall back upon you, etc.

How do you actually store it though? In the event there's a dispute, you lose your job, etc - chances are good you lose access to said CYA material.

how do you go about actually using it if you no longer have access? What are best practices and conduct? Do people forward stuff offsite to themself, save it locally?

obviously its a good idea, I'm just curious about how it goes in practice.

If lawyers get involved, do you just subpeona it and hope it arrives intact, or have that stuff in hand when you open a case in the first place?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That poo poo's offsite son. BCCs are best, since you have a live copy properly datestamped, with all the headers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

That poo poo's offsite son. BCCs are best, since you have a live copy properly datestamped, with all the headers.

The bosses at $AWFUL_JOB told me they had a setup on our mail server that would archive all my mail and save it, so if there was a disagreement they could use it against me to prove how I screwed up. I always side eyed at this because I set up our mx records, spam filter, and exchange server, and they never accessed and no one else has the credentials, so I'm not sure how this magical system worked. We also had it running on a server with like 100gb of storage, so I don't know where this magical extra mail store was...

TheParadigm posted:

You know, its a few pages ago, but something I've been wondering about for a while.

Everyone says have a CYA folder, etc. Permissions to do things so that it doesn't fall back upon you, etc.

How do you actually store it though? In the event there's a dispute, you lose your job, etc - chances are good you lose access to said CYA material.

how do you go about actually using it if you no longer have access? What are best practices and conduct? Do people forward stuff offsite to themself, save it locally?

obviously its a good idea, I'm just curious about how it goes in practice.

If lawyers get involved, do you just subpeona it and hope it arrives intact, or have that stuff in hand when you open a case in the first place?

I periodically exported my mailbox to PST and kept it at home. That job was a nightmare down to when I quit, and they told a client I was being fired for negligence to save face on a project that was going badly that wasn't my problem.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

devmd01 posted:

You joke but Domain Users is added to local admin on every workstation via gpo at my company. Yeah.

If you really have to do this, at least change the GPO so it makes .\INTERACTIVE the local admin. That way the only user currently logged onto the local machine (physically, not remotely) is admin, can't use admin-privs to spread malware through the network to other machines.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Weatherman posted:

Thanks Thanks Ants?

Ththants?

:tipshat:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Crowley posted:

If you really have to do this, at least change the GPO so it makes .\INTERACTIVE the local admin. That way the only user currently logged onto the local machine (physically, not remotely) is admin, can't use admin-privs to spread malware through the network to other machines.

Neat!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Crowley posted:

hey this what i was looking for! thanks

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tivoli Identity Manager can suck my balls.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Things that don't piss me off: Apparently the nice weather prompted everyone to work from home today, so it's quieter than a blowjob in church at the office.

Things that are pissing me off: Having to explain to no less that two people on a customer site that when some of their phones go down, of course they can't transfer calls to the phones that are down, because those phones are down.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I love netscalers, I think they're wonderful pieces of hardware that do their job well and intuitively once you work with them for a while, and there's not a whole lot of people who know how to work them so it's a good skill to have.

Except when there might be network issues, then they are Satan's own proxy.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I got told 3 weeks ago I was days away from getting a raise. A week ago my VP confirmed it was days away. *checks calendar*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Virigoth posted:

I got told 3 weeks ago I was days away from getting a raise. A week ago my VP confirmed it was days away. *checks calendar*

free beer tomorrow

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

devmd01 posted:

You joke but Domain Users is added to local admin on every workstation via gpo at my company. Yeah.

:negative: Mine too. Not by GPO but still.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Virigoth posted:

Hey man, can I have some of that jam when you get it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like there are so many easy methods to make sure your users don't need local admin. If you are stuck in one of those situations, why not build an environment with group policy that you can show that local admin is no longer needed?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We have a largely mobile workforce with a legitimate need to install applications on a regular basis. The bigger challenge we face is that some of these people don't connect to the vpn for months at a time, so good luck with any gpo changes at all, let alone changing the local admin in any way shape or form.

At the last job I implemented a gpo that blew away the local admin group and controlled it entirely through individual security groups per PC for those that had a legitimate need, it was glorious. I'm pushing those ideas to the security team here and anyone who will listen, but that's a loooong way off.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

devmd01 posted:

We have a largely mobile workforce with a legitimate need to install applications on a regular basis. The bigger challenge we face is that some of these people don't connect to the vpn for months at a time, so good luck with any gpo changes at all, let alone changing the local admin in any way shape or form.

At the last job I implemented a gpo that blew away the local admin group and controlled it entirely through individual security groups per PC for those that had a legitimate need, it was glorious. I'm pushing those ideas to the security team here and anyone who will listen, but that's a loooong way off.

DirectAccess is your friend

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Deploy DirectAccess if you have road warriors and aren't on the Windows 10/InTune train

Edit: :woop:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

One of my coworkers just tried to email the program that generates reg keys for our clients, TO ONE OF OUR CLIENTS

It was blocked by mail guard because its an exe but AHHHHH

e:

Your workload is being too much for your 40 hour workweek and you've received a request for new keys from a client! Do you:
A: Request someone else on your team assist
B: Work a bit on the weekend and comp it later
C: Give the client the ability to generate unlimited keys indefinitely and for anyone they please
D: Curl into a ball and cry

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 25, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

D

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jeoh posted:

DirectAccess is your friend

Yep, that's actively being worked on. Just need to get over the six-figure EA cost for our workstations so we can start deploying enterprise, right now we're using the OEM license that came with the machine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Consider https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Windows-10-Enterprise-E3-from-CDW/4378017.aspx

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

I feel like there are so many easy methods to make sure your users don't need local admin. If you are stuck in one of those situations, why not build an environment with group policy that you can show that local admin is no longer needed?
that would require vertical market type software to not be niche turdpiles with idiotic UAC interaction

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm pissed because the senior help desk guy keeps passing poo poo off on me for powershell scripting that's still WAY over my ability. I'm getting sick of feeling like a moron hacking at these complicated tasks and having no clue what I'm doing.

I've got an excel spreadsheet with 3 columns, UserID, DisplayName, and EMAIL_ADDR. I'm supposed to get the email address added as extensionAttribute1 in AD.

This is what I've kludged so far:
code:
$groupNamesCSV = Read-Host -Prompt 'location of CSV file to read from'
$path = Split-Path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition
$groupArray = Import-CSV $groupNamesCSV
$group

>> foreach ($u in $group) {
>>   Set-ADUser -identity $u -add @{extensionAttribute1="
>>}
And then I realized I have no GD idea how to specify the 3rd column in the array. I don't even know if a powershell array can HAVE 3 columns, or if I'm passing this along correctly. I'm at a skill level where I just learned how to pipe using |. At least he's given me time to work on this, because I don't get much time to do skill-building otherwise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Not pissing me off: this email, which seems to be endorsing slavery and cannibalism.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah but I mean to be fair, gently caress the Italians.

Pissing me off, Outlook refuses to remove something from my calendar. No matter how I delete it, "Exchange recreated a meeting that was missing from your calendar", agagggghhh you clod, it was missing because I have deleted the meeting!!!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm pissed because the senior help desk guy keeps passing poo poo off on me for powershell scripting that's still WAY over my ability. I'm getting sick of feeling like a moron hacking at these complicated tasks and having no clue what I'm doing.

I've got an excel spreadsheet with 3 columns, UserID, DisplayName, and EMAIL_ADDR. I'm supposed to get the email address added as extensionAttribute1 in AD.

code:
$group

>>}
And then I realized I have no GD idea how to specify the 3rd column in the array. I don't even know if a powershell array can HAVE 3 columns, or if I'm passing this along correctly. I'm at a skill level where I just learned how to pipe using |. At least he's given me time to work on this, because I don't get much time to do skill-building otherwise.

Immersion is the best way to learn :eng101: says the person who devs in python and just got full on dumped into a from scratch golang project

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Avenging_Mikon posted:

code:
$group

>>}

Does your csv file have headings for each column?
code:
"name","stuff","email"
a1,b1,c1
a2,b2,c2
You could get the third entry for each row with something like
code:
Import-CSV <file here> | foreach-object {
     Set-aduser -identity $_.name -add @{extensionAttribute1=$_.col3}
}
At least I think? My powershell is getting rusty from non-use.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Does your csv file have headings for each column?
code:
"name","stuff","email"
a1,b1,c1
a2,b2,c2
You could get the third entry for each row with something like
code:
Import-CSV <file here> | foreach-object {
     Set-aduser -identity $_.name -add @{extensionAttribute1=$_.col3}
}
At least I think? My powershell is getting rusty from non-use.

It's got headings for each column, yes. Your variable of $_.name, can I just set that as $_.col1 since that's how they're listed in AD?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that pisses me off on a daily basis: "personal" mass marketing emails for IT products that are well-crafted enough to get past our spam filter.

Motherfuckers, I work in IT, spam is the last loving place I'm going to get a product solution from. Every single one of their domains go on the block list.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's got headings for each column, yes. Your variable of $_.name, can I just set that as $_.col1 since that's how they're listed in AD?

$_.name is coming from the csv column header names in this case.

It should be noted that import-csv is creating an array of objects. Each object has member properties corresponding to each column in the source csv.

(Import-csv $filename)[3].email

Will get you the value of the email column on the 4th line (0 is first line)

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 25, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

devmd01 posted:

poo poo that pisses me off on a daily basis: "personal" mass marketing emails for IT products that are well-crafted enough to get past our spam filter.

Motherfuckers, I work in IT, spam is the last loving place I'm going to get a product solution from. Every single one of their domains go on the block list.

CEO and the owners wife get those all the time and forward them on. "I set up an appointment for you to talk to this person about phone systems..."

GEE THANKS

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

$_.name is coming from the csv column header names in this case.

Yeah, I'd put the header of col1 there, and the header of col3 in that place. Just trying to keep in generic. I think I might have this now...

Edit: crap, it's working in my default OU even though I switched my user to one on a different domain.

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 25, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, I'd put the header of col1 there, and the header of col3 in that place. Just trying to keep in generic. I think I might have this now...

I edited in some more info if it helps.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

I edited in some more info if it helps.

Somewhat. Now the issue is it's searching the wrong forest, our staff instead of students. I think that's the last stumbling block

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sorry I was a little slow to return. I see you've got yourself going nicely though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
So, I've got this script now, and it runs without errors, but it's not making any changes.
code:
Import-CSV c:\students_emailaddress_ps.csv | foreach-object {
     get-aduser -filter {distinguishedName -like "ou=Students,dc=edu,dc=Foo,dc=ca"} | Set-aduser -identity $_.UserID -add @{extensionAttribute1=$_.EMAIL_ADDR}
}

So, now I don't even have any errors to work with. Which probably means I'm close. Anyone have ideas at this point?

Bunni-kat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Don't filter on DistinguishedName like that, if you're only interested in objects under a specific OU use the -SearchBase parameter instead. (Is that a real OU in your environment? Do you want that in a post on SA?)
Also don't pipe objects to Set-ADUser and then have -Identity on that Set-ADUser, that either won't work or it'll do weird things.

Do something like this instead:
code:
Get-ADUser -SearchBase "OU=foo,DC=example,DC=com" -Filter { SAMAccountName -eq $inp.UserID } | Set-ADUser -WhatIf -Add @{extensionAttribute1=$_.EMAIL_ADDR}
I added a -WhatIf to the Set-ADUser so you get told about what it wants to change instead of actually changing things. This is so you can verify that it really hits the objects you want it to hit.