Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gShinhwa/status/901106821217345536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

The Star Citizen subreddit is one of the only subreddits I have seen that tries to hide the ability to arrange the front page by "most controversial"

Luckily you can still do it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/

the top thread right now is a gem:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6vta20/moon_isnt_as_random_as_i_thought/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JourneymanSC/status/901098168116490241

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bootcha posted:

GAMESCON PREDICTIONS FROM BOOTCHA

9) Someone in the crowd (if any) shouts 'DEREK WAS RIGHT'.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well hell, I don't see the vending machine in line.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Bumbler posted:

The Star Citizen subreddit is one of the only subreddits I have seen that tries to hide the ability to arrange the front page by "most controversial"

Yeah is that some cowardly poo poo or what? You can also just uncheck "use subreddit style" to turn off the custom CSS.

With all the CR transcribing, take breaks, call your parents, tell them you love them. Don't gaze too long into the abyss, if you know what I mean.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well hell, I don't see the vending machine in line.

He probably went to the Frontier booth or somewhere where they have a working space game

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Whose in that car?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

happyhippy posted:

This. This would be nothing short of glorious.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It would look like a zombie movie where the guy who decoyed for his friends to escape gets swarmed

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mne nravitsya posted:

Whose in that car?

:aaa:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Mne nravitsya posted:

Whose in that car?

:lol:

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Or
"a group of mates shelter from the rain... 'who's star citizen?' asked one when questioned about if they were excited about the upcoming presentation"

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

happyhippy posted:

they'll cut the stream right before this brave soul is burned in a wicker man made from restoration hardware

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

An old friend just contacted me wanting advice for buying a computer that could play star citizen, he showed me a laptop with a 1050 card in it and said this was the most expensive he could afford. I assumed he was joking, but he was dead serious LMAO. He claimed he hadn't given them any money.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SomethingJones posted:

Q
What is the best way to experience Star Citizen?

CR
I HAVEN'T SET IT UP YET

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Further excisions made to improve veracity and remove aspirational theorycrafting as stated fact.

doingitwrong posted:

A lot of redditors are complaining that the interview makes Chris bad because the transcript doesn't leave out the hums and ahs. OK. Here's a version condensed and edited for clarity. (It doesn't get much better.)

Gamescom 2017 Interview
GameStarDE & Christopher Robins
PART ONE

25 Aug 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169412267?t=47m32s

Q
How much longer will we have to wait [for Squadron 42] ?

CR
We have to wait longer. It's going. We're not showing it. We're working at enabling and it's something like that.

But no, it's going, it's just really fluid. I think it's gunna be really wait, let me put it that way.

Q
Is there one specific feature right now in the alpha 3.0 that you are especially proud of?

CR
Well, the planetary tech. The gameplay potential -- we're only seeing the very beginning of that in 3.0.

Q
Will there be anything on Friday, maybe a small teaser [of Squadron 42] ?

CR
No, not at Gamescon.

Q
What's the big part that is actually missing and preventing you from finishing Squadron 42? What's holding it back?

CR
The big part. You're basically inside this movie -- you happen to be the Lead Star in the movie and dialling that in has been taking a bit longer than we anticipated.

Q
So what you're saying is the other parts, for example the missions and stuff like that, they are further along?

CR
Well yeah, no.

You can already play those missions from start to finish?

CR
Well, I would hate to make promises because last year I said, "well we're planning to show, a piece of some Squadron 42 gameplay" and then we ended up not getting it. We didn't show it and everyone was very upset and I felt bad.

It's the animations and the AI, it's just taking some time unfortunately.

Q
What is the best way to experience Star Citizen? Are you going to play it on one monitor or two? With a gamepad? With keyboard & mouse? Is it for joystick? What is your personal preference?

CR
We have cons, it's hard to say. You know, I haven't set it up yet but a nice little wide monitor, you know, the one that's 4k across, one of the curved ones.

Samsung CHG90 - $1,499
49" wide, 4k horizontal resolution, 144Hz refresh rate

G0RF posted:

THE FRENEMY WARS: Episode 17 - Jurassic Catastrophe

Chris Roberts stares in dull horror at the closing moments of a trailer playing full screen on his massive 4K gaming monitor. His complexion grows redder, then redder still as he finally turns towards his wife, his face bearing the very countenance of Cain.

:smuggo: -- "I called it in my August 17th blog."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 25, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

But umms and ahhhs are the only parts where Chris isn't lying, you can't cut those out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandweed posted:

An old friend just contacted me wanting advice for buying a computer that could play star citizen, he showed me a laptop with a 1050 card in it and said this was the most expensive he could afford. I assumed he was joking, but he was dead serious LMAO. He claimed he hadn't given them any money.

I'd wring him for every cent and stop returning his calls.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sandweed posted:

:sever:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sandweed posted:

Find a bitcoin mining rig to sell him.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

2.5 hours!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

doingitwrong posted:

We have to wait a little bit longer. It's going really well. We're not showing it here at Gamescon, because I want to have it at a certain level of polish. We're working at getting it there
drat, this is such an epic level of navel-gazing, vagueness, empty words and promises that may mean everything or nothing that even Halo Games wouldn't have been able to afford it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Palpek posted:

drat, this is such an epic level of navel-gazing, vagueness, empty words and promises that may mean everything or nothing that even Halo Games wouldn't have been able to afford it.

You also have to factor in that he has been saying this for 5 years or more as well, it's astounding

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

T-pose Minus 145 Minutes

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

T-pose Minus 145 Minutes

Until untold millions in disability checks magically fly toward a gleeful Chris, after he shits out another high fidelity turd on stage.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

peter gabriel posted:

You also have to factor in that he has been saying this for 5 years or more as well, it's astounding
What I'm getting from what he's saying is that they have data from 100 days of motion capture and they made a lot of in-game assets. They only need to make the actual game now...drat, it's written right there and he's getting away with it.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Mne nravitsya posted:

Whose in that car?

"That's him in the Polo"

(I have no idea what kind of car that is)

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
In about 3 hours goons be like

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

What I'm getting from what he's saying is that they have data from 100 days of motion capture and they made a lot of in-game assets. They only need to make the actual game now...drat, it's written right there and he's getting away with it.

Personally I'm just preemptively giggling about when they make more engine changes that make the mocap data useless

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder how long it would take someone like Naughty Dog to put together a cafeteria scene. 18 months? 24?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Personally I'm just preemptively giggling about when they make more engine changes that make the mocap data useless

I wouldn't be _useless_, but they'd have created a lot more technical debt by altering foundational work this late in the game, and they've already done it twice? Initial preening of the mocap to remove the garbage, and then fitting it to the original star marine before the sale changes.

Seriously, they've made more mistakes than are actually in the book; they're pioneering in the field of 'Doing things wrong' as a multi-disciplinary context.

Palpek posted:

They only need to make the actual game now...drat, it's written right there and he's getting away with it.

The thing with Narcissists is that they're so drat sure, people assume they're onto something. Then it turns out they're really just vacuous blowhards[sic].

sneeze taxe

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

doingitwrong posted:

A lot of redditors are complaining that the interview makes Chris bad because the transcript doesn't leave out the hums and ahs. OK. Here's a version condensed and edited for clarity. (It doesn't get much better.)

Gamescom 2017 Interview
GameStarDE & Christopher Robins
PART ONE

25 Aug 2017
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169412267?t=47m32s

Q
How much longer will we have to wait [for Squadron 42] ?

CR
We have to wait a little bit longer. It's going really well. We're not showing it here at Gamescon, because I want to have it at a certain level of polish. We're working at getting it there but there's a lot of the stuff that we actually show in our updates on ATV and some of the stuff in 3.0 is specific stuff that is enabling and being used for Squadron 42 and in fact some of the stuff that we introduced like the planetary tech we also put into Squadron 42. So there is, you know, a case when you go down on a moon or a planet and it's something like that.

But no, it's going very well, it's just a huge amount of high quality performance and motion capture data that we're bringing in and making sure that when the characters are moving around that they look really great and really fluid. Going between AI pathing from one location to another, merging into scenes that we shot with the characters. We're really trying to make you feel like you're part of the story and feel like you're hanging out with AI just running around and I think it's gunna be really great. It's gonna be worth the wait, let me it that way

Q
Is there one specific feature right now in the alpha 3.0 that you are especially proud of?

CR
Well, the planetary tech. So this is going to be the first time that the community, can go and land (in the case of 3.0) on moons or this asteroid planetoid. They're fully realized. Every inch of 'em you can move around and explore and you can circumnavigate the entire circumference of the moon if you wanted to. The amount of additional playable area that comes into the game now compared to what was in say 2.6.3… It's huge and how much the game is going to open up because we're introducing the planetary tech compared to what we were thinking we would have in the game before. We made the breakthrough, so to speak. It's really exciting, there's a lot of gameplay that's going to come out of it, it's one of the reasons why maybe things are taking a lot longer than expected I'd like things move faster too but once we've opened up the potential of these planets, because of the sort of detail and fidelity we're going for, we also need to make sure that there's stuff to do on the planets.

We are focused on stuff We're not just creating the planets but also creating systems that will allow ecosystems with flora and fauna to make it alive with things to do on it. You need to procedurally create outposts or town or villages beyond the central landing zones. In the original version of Star Citizen we were aiming to be a bit more like Privateer or Freelancer where we had individual bespoke landing zones but you couldn't explore the planet. You would essentially be in orbit and you wouldn't have landings, you'd have a cinematic that would transition you down and then you were moving around a small limited FPS area where you could shop and buy things and go to a bar and talk to people and get a mission, get your ship repaired and go back to space.

Now we have whole worlds opened up to you so the potential for exploration, long term in the game and for players to do things for instance create their own little base or their own little settlement on a moon or planet that no one else has gone to that particular area is huge. So the gameplay potential is amazing and we're only seeing the very beginning of that in 3.0 and I'm really excited as we start to roll out more stuff for 3.0 and beyond.

Q
Will there be anything on Friday, maybe a small teaser [of Squadron 42] ?

CR
No, not at Gamescon.

Q
What's the big part that is actually missing and preventing you from finishing Squadron 42? What's holding it back?

CR
The big part is what I was talking about before which is we very much want to get the quality of the animation and how the AI move around to be the equivalent to what you see in like pre-rendered cinematics. We spent all this time shooting with these amazing actors. We spent just over a hundred days doing performance capture and that's a massive amount of time to shoot. For instance, most big-event movies are $150 to $200 million, they usually don't shoot for more than a hundred days. They shoot maybe 80 days, 90 days. So we have all these great performances so it's a vast amount of performance data and animation and motion and story. We really want to make sure it comes across so when you're playing the game and you're moving around in it they're talking to you. Old Man who is played by Mark Hamill or the various other characters that you're playing the game alongside with.

You're basically inside this movie. Wing Commander 3 and Wing Commander 4 you were like the stuntman flying the ship. You got on the back of the ship, you would see what Mark Hamill did and you would say, "No! Go take this choice or this choice!" Well, in this case it's you and you happen to be the Lead Star in the movie. Getting that to be the fluidity that we want, because it's a huge story and dialling that in has been taking a bit longer than we anticipated.

Q
So what you're saying is the other parts, for example the missions and stuff like that, they are further along?

CR
Well yeah, no. We're still working on the final like assets and stuff but we've blocked out all the missions and what we call chapters that each one would be the equivalent of several missions in Wing Commander because they would be linked.

You can already play those missions from start to finish?

CR
Well, we haven't blocked what you would call 'design' somewhere between white and grey boxes and levels we're going to take to a more finished state. We're taking certain ones, for instance we were talking about showing a sequence last year that was, ah, you know one section of the story that we were going to take to a finished level. We're still basically doing that, we're in production on all of them. We'll be showing some things at some point, just it's not going to be at Gamescon and I would hate to make promises because last year I said, "well we're planning to show, a piece of some Squadron 42 gameplay" and then we ended up not getting it to the point where we were happy with. We didn't show it and everyone was very upset and I felt bad because we also showed some amazing stuff on the planetary tech, Homestead and all the next level of what the planetary tech was and that was really great stuff, but the high of that was affected by the fact that we didn't show Squadron 42.

But I would say it's the animations and the AI (because we're going for a level of AI that you don't normally have) so we want when you're on, say, the ship you're serving on, at the beginning of the game it's the Stanton which is an Idris Corvette, all the crew have their full schedule. They get up in the morning they eat breakfast, they go about their job, they go get lunch, go back to their job, have chit-chat over dinner, maybe unwind then go back to sleep. There's a whole schedule and cycle and it almost like a Sims Simulation for the AI we're using. The planet's using that for this persistent universe and so dialling that in, that's the subsumption system which we're making great progress on. It's in 3.0. all the missions run on subsumption. In Squadron, everything runs in subsumption whereas before it wasn't, it was using an older CryEngine system.

So just getting all that in, getting that all up to the level, and making sure that it's performing well and looking great, dialled in to look as great or better than anything else, it's just taking some time unfortunately.

Q
What is the best way to experience Star Citizen? Are you going to play it on one monitor or two? With a gamepad? With keyboard & mouse? Is it for joystick? What is your personal preference?

CR
We basically build the game and support the game for everything. Whether it's joystick, gamepad, keyboard and mouse. They all have pros and cons it's hard to say. Obviously for running around on foot and the FPS stuff keyboard and mouse is probably the best.

For flying I'd say joystick. I mean I know there's some people that feel like the mouse fly is too easy and it gives people an edge but I'll just say that when we do stuff, when we're trying to fly stuff around… For instance we were in the press we were showing a preview of what we'll do on Friday and I'm hoping people will like what we show. I don't really wanna spoil it, it's pretty cool but it would definitely have been better to have a joystick. We had. a mix of PR people playing and some were playing HOE TAS and some were playing mouse and keyboard. Some of the things were easier to do with the keyboard than they were with mouse. You know, I haven't set it up yet but a nice little wide monitor, you know, the one that's 4k across, one of the curved ones and then I tend to switch between a HOE TAS and a mouse and keyboard.

A mouse and keyboard for running around doing stuff, HOE TAS for the flight stuff.

Chris is more concerned about animation than having playable missions.

CIG still has a 2017 release date on their Squadron 42 page. They have this in spite of having not even designed the loving missions. They had 2016 last year even though, a year later, they haven't even designed the loving missions.

Ben Lesnick, who said that he played a full mission, is a loving liar.

gently caress all of these assholes and their blatant lies. And gently caress anyone who supports them.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ben Lesnick, who said that he played a full mission, is a loving liar.

I thought Ben said he played the whole game

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Foo Diddley posted:

I thought Ben said he played the whole game

He did and it was awesome.

The lying poo poo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can code a bit, but I can't see HOW they have had to do it again multiple times.
Mocap is basically just coords and timers saved.
How could it be so hosed up they couldn't convert the old data set to the new one?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm having a royally lovely day so I'm looking forward to Chris Roberts embarrassing himself like the utter clown that he is.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

biglads posted:

He did and it was awesome.

The lying poo poo.

he forgot to mention to you guys that he was referring to Wing Commander

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Watching the pro-streamers walk around with nothing do except look at wrecks made me realize how close CR is to having a game.

All CR needs to do is hide a bunch of notes for the player to find around the various wrecks talking about the sacrifices Sandi has made in her lifestyle to be the best VP ever. Rename Star Citizen to Gone Space or Gone Citizen and boom--game of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Has Crobblers bombed at Gamescom yet?