Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Whoops, just accidentally let my manager know that I'm interviewing at other places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

gonadic io posted:

Whoops, just accidentally let my manager know that I'm interviewing at other places.

#yolo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

are you at least in a place where firing you would have economical consequences for the company like severance?

otherwise :rip:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gonadic io posted:

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gonadic io posted:

this is the Bloody maneuver but on amateur night

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

gonadic io posted:

story

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I asked for time off and he jokingly said only if it wasn't for an interview and I went deer in headlights.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Nice!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

gonadic io posted:

I asked for time off and he jokingly said only if it wasn't for an interview and I went deer in headlights.

rip

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gonadic io posted:

lol if you have enough of a pulse to not be able to blurt out bold face lies without thinking

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
JavaScript Evangelist - Exclusive Opportunity

Hi Mr Goonsay,

I hope this message finds you well. I came across your profile today and I thought this opportunity would be something you’d be interested in pursuing based on what you’ve been up to at <Incorrect Company name>.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

JavaScript Evangelist

mods?!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

evangelist positions at big corps that pay director or vp level money are great do-nothing gigs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you probably have to travel 50+% of the time though

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gonadic io posted:

:anime:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

gonadic io posted:

lol I told epic my aunt had cancer to get the time off approved for my onsite at Apple.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

cis autodrag posted:

lol I told epic my aunt had cancer to get the time off approved for my onsite at Apple.

lmao

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

ice cold.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

Pro move yo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

hahaha :dukedog:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

re financial advice, the index card is correct for all figgy fucktards

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/01/08/462250239/when-an-index-card-of-financial-tips-isnt-enough-this-book-is-there

but basically pay off as much of your non-mortgage debts as possible before starting on other poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cis autodrag posted:

:respek:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nothing wrong with using imaginary family disasters as an excuse to upgrade your computer touching

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you ever have to explain why you're taking a day off

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
that just means the next time somebody at epic needs to see their terminally ill family member hr gonna require written notification

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dragon enthusiast posted:

that just means the next time somebody at epic needs to see their terminally ill family member hr gonna require written notification

Nah, I only needed special approval cuz it was within 3 months if my sabbatical. They have all sorts of lovely rules around that as an overreaction to the time a guy bundled 2 months of saved vacation onto his sabbatical starting on skyrim launch day so he could play it for 3 months

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

They have all sorts of lovely rules around that as an overreaction to the time a guy bundled 2 months of saved vacation onto his sabbatical starting on skyrim launch day so he could play it for 3 months

lol that's so pathetic

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cis autodrag posted:

Nah, I only needed special approval cuz it was within 3 months if my sabbatical. They have all sorts of lovely rules around that as an overreaction to the time a guy bundled 2 months of saved vacation onto his sabbatical starting on skyrim launch day so he could play it for 3 months

lmao if you can't bundle your sabbatical and vacation time.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

cis autodrag posted:

a guy bundled 2 months of saved vacation onto his sabbatical starting on skyrim launch day so he could play it for 3 months

jfc

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

only remedy required there is to make sure his correct name is attached to the retelling so his shame lives on as long as the company

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

Incredible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

First, this is in regards for Zynga Toronto and the CRA. I also just want to say that this is not meant to bash Zynga. I moved on from Zynga and worked many good years there. I am writing this for 2 purposes. First is to see if there's anything that I can do about the backtax. Second is to warn people to be careful when promised perks.

So on to the story. Zynga recently got audited for the 2014 and 2015 year. As a result, all employees that worked at Zynga for 2014 and 2015 got a big tax bill this summer(2017) from the CRA which includes back taxes and interest charges. I wrote in to Zynga about the CRA tax reassessment and was told that meals, snacks and gym memberships are taxable benefits. The bulk of the backtax include lunches that zynga provided for staff. However, Zynga could not determine how much any specific individual consumed and just taxed people by how many months worked in 2014 and 2015. So, if you did not have any meals provided, you were still taxed. Also, Zynga never indicate that these were taxable on our contract and didn't deduct the taxes on our part. This affected all current and ex employees. Is there anything that I can do to dispute these taxes?

When I wrote back to Zynga to inquire whether this was an error. Here's what I got below:

In accordance with our previous communication dated May 10, 2017, the Notice of Reassessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (“CRA”) you received is the result of the CRA’s audit conclusion that employer provided meals, snacks and gym fees are taxable benefits, not errors by Zynga. There is no way to confirm how much you consumed for meals and snacks on a daily basis in 2014 and 2015. As a result, the taxable income adjustment was based on an allocated amount for each month you were employed during those years. Our records indicate that you had an active gym membership every month in 2014 and 2015. Therefore, the taxable income adjustment included the monthly membership fee of $40.

The liabilities assessed are personal income taxes and interest associated with a taxable benefit you received during your employment in 2014 and 2015. Personal income taxes are the responsibility of the individuals receiving the income and thus, you are responsible for settling any outstanding balance directly with the CRA, including penalties and interest. Zynga will not pay and/or reimburse you for these assessed taxes.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol that's so pathetic

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rofl. Zynga is a piece of poo poo company.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: owned, you get taxed on what is provided it is your fault if you do not use.

See CA taxes on assumed tips as a real overreach.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he should quit unless they give him a bonus that cancels it out

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool now we're on to the part where folks complain about having to pay their taxes

remember to refuse that pay raise if it would put you in a higher tax bracket!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

oh cool now we're on to the part where folks complain about having to pay their taxes

remember to refuse that pay raise if it would put you in a higher tax bracket!

gently caress your victim blaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Janitor Prime posted:

gently caress your victim blaming

paying taxes isn't victimization

• Locked thread