Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't Ver's goal to become a hero and "saving" the human race (and murdering most of them so everyone left would celebrate him and not try to overthrow him or something along those lines) was just his way of doing that?

Mom wanted to load up Frontier with as many people who could fit on it safely and use it as an escape pod, leaving the rest of humanity who couldn't fit to die. Ver wanted to do the same thing but with massively fewer people, thus becoming a hero by "saving" the human race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The bodies are perfect because they're now cute girls instead of ugly, gross men, which is a truth I think we can all aspire to.

Uh I'm pretty sure Genjuuro is :perfect:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cags and prelati are absolutely trans and the 'perfect body' bit is a reference to saint-germain giving them female bodies, presumably near the end of their lives as 'men'

cagliostro's line about 'wanting to live as herself' or whatever makes that pretty clear, plus it actually fits with germain's motivations (she wants to end all oppression, what is probably one of the most oppressed groups of people you can think of in most parts of the world)

edit: Also Kaneko was sick during a lot of production and had to hand a lot of the writing stuff over to other people with him as more of a supervisor, so if this is the jankiest the writing gets then that's pretty fortunate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

re: this week

I'm just glad Chris and Maria finally got some significant interaction.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm guessing the "perfect" in perfect body just means immortal.

No it's because they're cute girls now. This is really not that complicated.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

lol at LiNKER being literally an Oxytocin shot.

Right into your GEAH gland.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No it's because they're cute girls now. This is really not that complicated.

I legitimately forgot about that part, so yeah that's probably it too.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

The bodies are perfect because they're now cute girls instead of ugly, gross men, which is a truth I think we can all aspire to.

If you have two equally cute girls but one can catch rockets out of midair and block a sword barehanded, I'm gonna say that that one has the more perfect body

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
If you're going to say Genjuuro can't be best girl just because he's the best father figure in history I'm gonna say that's pretty hosed up

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

cags and prelati are absolutely trans and the 'perfect body' bit is a reference to saint-germain giving them female bodies, presumably near the end of their lives as 'men'

cagliostro's line about 'wanting to live as herself' or whatever makes that pretty clear, plus it actually fits with germain's motivations (she wants to end all oppression, what is probably one of the most oppressed groups of people you can think of in most parts of the world)

edit: Also Kaneko was sick during a lot of production and had to hand a lot of the writing stuff over to other people with him as more of a supervisor, so if this is the jankiest the writing gets then that's pretty fortunate.

I'm glad there's finally cool trans ladies in anime that wanna kill God and usurp his mantle. I need good role models.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the linker upgrade should've been tied to the symphogear upgrade from the start

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Subs for AZX 07 are up.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Which one of those is Maria?

I can't tell them apart

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The huffy one with the big, pink, cat-like ears

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah

This is going to take getting an expert

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fool's stone scene is still the best

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Important plot critical revelation: Hibiki and Miku's matching heart shirts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Important plot critical revelation: Hibiki and Miku's matching heart shirts.

:hai:

Other important details:
-That BONK noise Prelati's hilarious giant weaponized Kodama makes whenever it hits anything.
-Maybe Hibiki and Miku's best joint scene since back in G?
-Kirika and Shirabe's incredibly thirsty duet lyrics.
-Adam being such a massive loving tool that he wears a goddamn fedora to the bath.

Really fun episode. Well-timed, too, after 6 was just kind of limp.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
i can't believe S.O.N.G. is trying to be a role model for recycling

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

:thunk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds like a challenge

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Also drat it commie, she is literally saying garbage, so just translate it that way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Also drat it commie, she is literally saying garbage, so just translate it that way.
tbh, no, 'garbage' would be a really weird tl of that line since she's speaking in very technical terms otherwise. of course 'waste material' isn't a great tl either mostly because it sounds, like poop. i would have gone with, uhhh, lesse, maybe 'matter?' 'discarded matter' once, and then matter after?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Symphogear AXZ: Literally garbage

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If there is a theme to this season, it's about the choices we make. It's laid on a tad thick though.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

:wrong:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I feel it is a mistake to turn your bullets into dragons when fighting Hibiki. She has had a lot of practice punching them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Finished GX, it does feel a little weaker and more rushed than the others but I can forgive a lot in exchange for Dr. Ver finally becoming the worst hero he always believed he could be. :patriot:

I'd say I like the first two seasons equally. I generally liked the darker parts of the first season, but G used the larger cast well. G's ED also had a really great intro that got me pumped for the next episode almost as much as Roundabout did in Jojo's.

The least interesting parts of every season are usually the climactic fights, since it's always just everyone combining their power and singing the OP. The best parts are the character moments, and I kind of wish each season was twice as long so they could incorporate all the OVA jokes because they're incredible.

My favorite moments in the entire show are still Miku easily shaking Hibiki out of berserk mode and Hibiki trivially yoinking Gungnir back from Maria in G. Also, every other time Hibiki does something badass before or after finishing her sad character arc each season.

RIP Berserker Hibiki, you were my favorite character.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 25, 2017

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

The least interesting parts of every season are usually the climactic fights, since it's always just everyone combining their power and singing the OP. The best parts are the character moments, and I kind of wish each season was twice as long so they could incorporate all the OVA jokes because they're incredible.
good news, axz actually references the ova jokes in the main show. in other words all of the ova jokes are indisputably canon, even the goofier ones.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I keep forgetting I haven't seen the ovas

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

good news, axz actually references the ova jokes in the main show. in other words all of the ova jokes are indisputably canon, even the goofier ones.

Chris learning gun kata from John Woo movies at Genjuuro's encouragement remains the best thing in the OVAs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I keep forgetting I haven't seen the ovas

you havent seen symphogear then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I downloaded them!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sindai posted:

The least interesting parts of every season are usually the climactic fights, since it's always just everyone combining their power and singing the OP.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'm a big sucker for those kind of moments. One of my favorite things in any action anime is the bit is the 'climactic theme song powerup'.

In Symphogear, it's fun to get a big ensemble song and I enjoy the over-the-top X-Drive costumes & attacks. I really enjoy how, while all the X-Drives share an 'angel' theme, they each carry a character-specific touch: Tsubasa's giant wing-sword-skis being the most distinctive, but also how Chris' wings curve in like the butterfly-ribbons on her costumes, Kirika's are literally edgy, etc, etc.

That said, there's no need for X-Drive literally every season; I think it would be fine to skip this season, especially since we know we'll have a S5 so there's no danger of closing the show out without a big finale.

No skipping the concert, though :colbert: Give me another concert!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very late for an episode reaction but man episode 7 was really good.

I've been waiting 3 seasons to get even a little bit of info about Hibiki and Miku's relationship before the series started and Miku's flashback was really nice. And despite being a relatively small scene it might be the best look we've gotten into Miku since season 1, which I appreciated. Miku and Hibiki's relationship is still one of the best things in the show.

Also, I like how Saint Germain basically reiterated Shirabe's argument to Hibiki from G except this time Hibiki didn't buy it at all and basically ended up winning the war of words. AXZ is building on some stuff from previous seasons in cool ways and it's pretty neat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did anyone else have problems playing commies episode 7? It won't play at all unless I skip forward a bit and then there's no sound. I'm using MPC which I guess is maybe getting a bit out of date but I haven't had problems with anything else yet.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Sakurazuka posted:

Did anyone else have problems playing commies episode 7? It won't play at all unless I skip forward a bit and then there's no sound. I'm using MPC which I guess is maybe getting a bit out of date but I haven't had problems with anything else yet.

Sorry, all I can say is 'works fine for me'. I use MPC as well, but I have very recent codecs.

What's some good non-Symphogear Nana Mizuki material? I love her voice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

What's some good non-Symphogear Nana Mizuki material? I love her voice.
She's been in a lot of stuff. She's kind of doing her Tsubasa voice in FMA: Brotherhood, though her character is more supporting than main. Fate in Nanoha was her first big role and a lot of Symphogear is clearly born of Nana Mizuki going 'let's make a show that's kinda like nanoha' but Nanoha was so long ago that her voice is pretty different in that. Plus Fate is like 13 for the first two seasons.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

She's been in a lot of stuff. She's kind of doing her Tsubasa voice in FMA: Brotherhood, though her character is more supporting than main. Fate in Nanoha was her first big role and a lot of Symphogear is clearly born of Nana Mizuki going 'let's make a show that's kinda like nanoha' but Nanoha was so long ago that her voice is pretty different in that. Plus Fate is like 13 for the first two seasons.

I meant music, but it's cool to know that she was Lan Fan in FMA-Brotherhood!

PS, what is everyone's favorite song per character?

For me, it's probably:

Hibiki G-Beat (GX)
Tsubasa Gekkou No Ken (G)
Chris Makiyuu Ichiaval (S1)
Maria Ressou Gungnir (G)
Shirabe Melodious Moonlight (AZX)
Kirika Gokuren Igalima (G)

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh, music.

she does OPs for a lot of the shows she's in, so you could start with those before checking out her albums. preserved roses is a collab with tm revolution but preserved roses is also a really badass song. her best album is probably ultimate diamond imo.

also, best songs:

Hibiki: Little Miracle, Grip it Tight
Tsubasa: Beyond the Blade
Chris: can I say Rebirth Day
Maria: Dark Oblivion
Shirabe: Practice Mode
Kirika: yeah id also say gokuren igalima

• Locked thread