Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
also be aware that they got real drunk and talked about making a beer called "Cum Bubbles," which the brewer's wife rightly shot down. later- and drunker- in the evening, someone tried to remember the name of the beer and said "Chubbles," much to everyone's amusement.

dood, did you get to the Cloudwater stuff that was on at Cask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Nah, I was working that weekend. Would've been awesome to get over there for that though. Really wanted to try Omnipollo Hilma.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

poop dood posted:

Hey Spuckuk, looks like Cloudwater is releasing a UK-brewed version of their Veil collab triple IPA Chubbles tomorrow. You should get some, the last release was probably the best triple IPA Veil's ever done.

Thanks for the heads up!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Speaking of cloudwater, bought a few cans of their hop city collaboration with Northern monk.

It's quite bad and taste like it was, dryhoped with burnt plastic.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bought some easy drinking stuff since hurricane and torrential rain will keep me indoors all weekend. Saison Brett was discounted to $10 too :homebrew:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I love when stores do the cellaring for you and then discount it because it's old.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
there was a store around here that I would pop into once every week or two and, failing to find anything else interesting, i would buy a bottle of fantome pissenlit. i did this for two years straight

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cryme posted:

there was a store around here that I would pop into once every week or two and, failing to find anything else interesting, i would buy a bottle of fantome pissenlit. i did this for two years straight

:piss:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I love when stores do the cellaring for you and then discount it because it's old.

Last year I decided to pass on my annual two sixers of Expedition, thinking that I had enough over the last 5 or so years to drink if I wanted. But then I ran across one of my local spots selling them for $9 a sixer for some loving reason. It wasn't a mis-price; They were discounted to move. So I bought 3!

The funniest part is this is one of those stores that I refuse to buy anything hoppy from since they have nothing on the shelf younger than 2 months. And a ton of things are covered with dust. Yet it was the imperial stout they were trying to move?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

danbanana posted:

Last year I decided to pass on my annual two sixers of Expedition, thinking that I had enough over the last 5 or so years to drink if I wanted. But then I ran across one of my local spots selling them for $9 a sixer for some loving reason. It wasn't a mis-price; They were discounted to move. So I bought 3!

The funniest part is this is one of those stores that I refuse to buy anything hoppy from since they have nothing on the shelf younger than 2 months. And a ton of things are covered with dust. Yet it was the imperial stout they were trying to move?

I found a place that had my favorite barleywine on the shelf with a bottling date of two years earlier. It was awesome. :hellyeah:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't realize how much New England IPAs were a thing now until yesterday.

Picked up the Rhinegeist/Pipeworks collaboration Astro Dwarf. I liked it a lot. It was the first NEIPA that I've had that was actually called a NEIPA, although "hazy, floral, juicy" IPAs have always been some of my favorites.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klaus Kinski posted:

Speaking of cloudwater, bought a few cans of their hop city collaboration with Northern monk.

It's quite bad and taste like it was, dryhoped with burnt plastic.

That's disappointing. Northern Monk moreso, I've at least liked everything I've had from them.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Mahoning posted:

I didn't realize how much New England IPAs were a thing now until yesterday.

Picked up the Rhinegeist/Pipeworks collaboration Astro Dwarf. I liked it a lot. It was the first NEIPA that I've had that was actually called a NEIPA, although "hazy, floral, juicy" IPAs have always been some of my favorites.

I had it recently. It's hazy, but I wouldn't call it emblematic of the style. It's much more a pipeworks IPA than anything else.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

That's disappointing. Northern Monk moreso, I've at least liked everything I've had from them.

Yeah, pretty much everything I've had from both breweries has been really good, that's why I bought six of them blind :saddowns:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I tried Tripel Karmeleit.
It tastes like oregano for some reason? Was this anybody else's experience or did I just get a infected bottle.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rhinegeist is still my favorite Ohio brewery but Platform is really getting up there.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 27, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

Rhinegeist is still my favorite Ohio brewery but Platform is really getting up there.

I agree about Platform really impressing but I don't even think that Rhinegeist is the best brewery in Cincinnati. If you haven't had MadTree yet it's being distributed in Cleveland and NE Ohio for the first time on Monday.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

That sounds off for the Tripel Karmeliet. Notes should be like.. clove, lemony. Think coriander-ish and grass (in a pleasant not pungent flavor).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I agree about Platform really impressing but I don't even think that Rhinegeist is the best brewery in Cincinnati. If you haven't had MadTree yet it's being distributed in Cleveland and NE Ohio for the first time on Monday.

I live in Cinci. I prefer Rhinegeist over the other bigger local breweries. Hustle and Mosaic are two of my top 3 beers.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Eifert Posting posted:

I live in Cinci. I prefer Rhinegeist over the other bigger local breweries. Hustle and Mosaic are two of my top 3 beers.

I'm with you on the Rhinegeist love, but think Madtree does a better job of experimenting and brewing different and more interesting beers. Rhinegeist ends up getting my money more often than not though, since I'm an absolute sucker for hoppy beers.

That being said, there are plans for some more experimental/fun beers that we'll be serving in the restaurant opening up in Rhinegeist. I'm really curious to see what they do for us since we're going to be very much a French-inspired place.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'll say this, Rhinegeist's regular lineup is pretty uninspired. But stuff like Mosaic and the aforementioned Astro Dwarf are a lot more interesting. As far as a regular lineup of beers, Rhinegeist is behind Columbus, Platform, Fat Heads, Brew Kettle, Jackie O's, and probably a few others as far as Ohio breweries. And I don't see special stuff from Rhinegeist often enough to really change my mind on that yet. Hopefully that changes though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Kindred is the best new Ohio brewery, tied with Hoof Hearted.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Not a single mention of Urban Artifact in this Cincy beer bickering? They definitely win for best gose imo. Pinwheel kumquat gose is so tastey.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

everythingWasBees posted:

I tried Tripel Karmeleit.
It tastes like oregano for some reason? Was this anybody else's experience or did I just get a infected bottle.

That definitely doesn't sound right, bad bottle most likely

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

that lagunitas beer with weed terps is pretty cool. it totally smells like sticking your nose in a bag of generic weed. it will be cool to see if they do different versions with different terpene/strain profiles. ISO IPA with trainwreck or jack herer terps

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
One night in Salt Lake City, what are the musts?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lyon posted:

One night in Salt Lake City, what are the musts?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

danbanana posted:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

SLC is actually a lot of fun and I've had a blast on my multiple visits here but never had time for beercapades. I got stranded here though for the night so I figure I might as well try to make the most of it.

The law about draft beers sucks but the bottles are normal ABV.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, SLC can be fine for drinking. I actually kinda liked the 4% draft thing since you can try more beers without getting hammered - just pretend you're at a session fest or something. With that restriction in place, some breweries have worked to make recipes that conform to the 4% rule but still have some flavor.

As mentioned, you can still get bottles at higher ABVs at bars and certain stores, but gas stations will still have 4% bottles. It's funny when you go to a beer bar and see the locals flip straight to the imperial stout section of the bottle list and get whatever has the highest ABV.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend:

Beer Bar - great selection of local beers and friendly/knowledgeable staff
Avenues Proper - trendy place with good food and creative beers - some of which were pretty solid
The Bayou - beer bar/cajun food joint with a little more dive-y feel
Squatters - you may have heard of these guys, big taproom/restaurant that gets pretty busy but the beers are mostly good but nothing special

Those were my favorite spots, in order. There are probably other spots worth checking out, it's been a few years since I've been there so I'm not really in touch with the local scene or anything.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Beerhive Pub has a reeeeeeaaaaaly solid bottle list and good draft selection (still ABV limited but good stuff). Probably my go-to when I'm in SLC, which is like once a year for four days for work.

Also Patrick's Pub and Poplar St Pub are great dive bars

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

Beerhive Pub

Drank here a few times over a weekend a few years ago and was a chill place to hang. Also, I guess they got rid of the Zion Curtain in Utah??

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

Drank here a few times over a weekend a few years ago and was a chill place to hang. Also, I guess they got rid of the Zion Curtain in Utah??

Yeah, there's a few places that still have it through - Avenues Proper had it which was pretty funny as they had a line of taps at the bar but they weren't hooked up to anything, they just went to the back to fill your beers. You also can't have more than two servings in front of you at one time, whether that's two samplers or two pints.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dphi posted:

Yeah, there's a few places that still have it through - Avenues Proper had it which was pretty funny as they had a line of taps at the bar but they weren't hooked up to anything, they just went to the back to fill your beers. You also can't have more than two servings in front of you at one time, whether that's two samplers or two pints.

Illinois' only weird liquor law is not allowing a single person to order a pitcher. But I can order 4 pints for myself...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

six of the ten guest breweries at the Charles Towne Fermentory There Will Be Hops event are from Virginia- and they're all mostly pretty good!

been cellar raiding a lot over the past couple months, but have done a lovely job of keeping track. 2014 rum GBS still tastes pretty good, but the rum character is gone (if it ever existed- i bought some to send out and lost track of a few bottles, but never drank any myself). regardless, it knocked the spice back some, so that works, too. followed that up with a 2013 Fremont B-Bomb, which was still pretty tasty aside from slight metallic/oxidized thing going on. got a 2014 Concealed Darkness chilling right now... #coolstory

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I need to start drinking my cellar as I have entirely too much beer. Luckily since I stopped razzling I haven't been accumulating as much but I'm also not drinking much in the way of stouts right now since I don't have anyone to share them with. If anyone wants to do a PA/NJ share I'd be down, hell I'll bring all the stouts :).

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

funkybottoms posted:

six of the ten guest breweries at the Charles Towne Fermentory There Will Be Hops event are from Virginia- and they're all mostly pretty good!

been cellar raiding a lot over the past couple months, but have done a lovely job of keeping track. 2014 rum GBS still tastes pretty good, but the rum character is gone (if it ever existed- i bought some to send out and lost track of a few bottles, but never drank any myself). regardless, it knocked the spice back some, so that works, too. followed that up with a 2013 Fremont B-Bomb, which was still pretty tasty aside from slight metallic/oxidized thing going on. got a 2014 Concealed Darkness chilling right now... #coolstory

Oh yeah, I gotta hit that up. I'm just mildly bummed at how they moved Flowertown's Funky Firkin Fest to Sunday; I was hoping to have some friends come down for that as the focus of a visit, but alas, not this time around.
When you say "mostly pretty good" what should I be watching out for?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

graybook posted:

Oh yeah, I gotta hit that up. I'm just mildly bummed at how they moved Flowertown's Funky Firkin Fest to Sunday; I was hoping to have some friends come down for that as the focus of a visit, but alas, not this time around.
When you say "mostly pretty good" what should I be watching out for?

i was being a little facetious; our NE IPA is good- we've got the recipe dialed in pretty well and are now messing around with the hops- but the stars of the show are likely to be Answer and Triple Crossing. Ocelot and Commonwealth are my two favorite breweries from their respective regions and, while i can't recommend them from my personal experiences (they had some consistency issues early on), i know a lot of people who dig on Aslin's beer, so... all of them?

Concealed Darkness tasted okay, but was kinda flat and didn't have a whole lot of body, either. i remember it being really solid when it was fresh and it's a year past its best-by date, so i guess this one is on me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

funkybottoms posted:

while i can't recommend them from my personal experiences (they had some consistency issues early on), i know a lot of people who dig on Aslin's beer

They're still having consistency issues. When the beer is good it's really good but when it's bad it's really bad. And there's also the whole underattenuated exploding cans problem.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

They're still having consistency issues. When the beer is good it's really good but when it's bad it's really bad. And there's also the whole underattenuated exploding cans problem.

yeah, i was trying to be nice as they're really good dudes, but the bad beers i had from them were... not good at all. speaking of which, just had a malt company salesman bring us a sample of a smoked lager made with his locally-sourced stuff that tasted like burnt popcorn served out of an ashtray. i'm honestly kinda mad that i was suckered into trying it and was relieved when he didn't have a sample of the other, similar beer made with his malt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Alright, thanks! Really hoping I can manage to make it out there once I get off work because I don't actually get to go and drink much anymore.