Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Does Darkwood have any sort of food/rest requirement system? Thinking about getting it, but don't want to have to manage anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Does Darkwood have any sort of food/rest requirement system? Thinking about getting it, but don't want to have to manage anything like that.

There is no food system (eating food just gives you a stamina boost) but you do have to make it back to your hideout before nightfall to survive the night, which does have a bit of a resource management aspect to it - You need to power your generator with gas that you find around the world. I have played 9 in-game days so far and haven't yet gone below 8 cans at any time though.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

MockingQuantum posted:

Lakeview Cabin Collection is pretty much the spirit animal of Cheesy 80's Slasher Flicks.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. A little obtuse at times, but fun to play around in and try stuff out.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So the White Day remake on steam is getting very mixed reviews, mostly by Koreans. Has anyone here played the remake and have any thoughts to how it compares to the original?

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Switched.on posted:

Anyone playing Darkwood? I grabbed it but I seem really bad at it. It's got great atmosphere though, definitely given me some spooks at night.

I'm on day 30 or so. I really dig this game. The atmosphere is spot on. It's probably got some of the best sound design I've seen in a game.

Maybe some game design issues but I love it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So what's the aim? Am I just looking to survive as long as possible, or am I also unravelling some kind of narrative?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I saw this game called Distrust pop up on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/635200/Distrust/

It's 10 bucks at the moment and it claims to be inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing. I'm not sure if it is specifically a horror game but I recall people talking about how they wish there were games that would try to copy what The Thing went for. I'll go ahead and copy down the steam description here. If anybody feels like trying it out, I'd love to read your response to it! :)

Distrust's Steam Page posted:

A helicopter crash left a group of explorers stranded near an Arctic base. As they try to find a way back, all they are doing is sinking deeper into a nightmare scenario. When they sleep, they attract a terrifying force that sucks the life out of their bodies, but the longer they battle exhaustion and stay awake, the less likely they are to survive...

As the survivors try to sleep just enough to stave off fatigue without dying, they slowly go mad and eventually reach the point where they can no longer trust their senses. In time, they can't even tell the difference between reality and a hallucination.

Guide the survivors through a randomly generated Arctic base, overcome the severe climate and fight the unfathomable!

Gameplay involving an extreme climate

Randomly generated levels

15 characters with unique skills and abilities

Tons of quests, game events and plot twists

Altered perception of reality: you cannot trust what you see

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?

Kokoro Wish posted:

So what's the aim? Am I just looking to survive as long as possible, or am I also unravelling some kind of narrative?

From what I have played, there is a narrative there, but I have mostly been focusing on survival. It seems like there are little quests too. You find items you can show to NPCs and they sort of guide you along.

There are a couple areas to the game and I only just moved on to the second one, but yet to finish the first chapter of the story.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FirstAidKite posted:

It's 10 bucks at the moment and it claims to be inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing. I'm not sure if it is specifically a horror game but I recall people talking about how they wish there were games that would try to copy what The Thing went for. I'll go ahead and copy down the steam description here. If anybody feels like trying it out, I'd love to read your response to it! :)

This looks interesting, thanks for putting it on my radar, I'll probably give it a shot.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

brother-joseph posted:

I'm on day 30 or so. I really dig this game. The atmosphere is spot on. It's probably got some of the best sound design I've seen in a game.

Maybe some game design issues but I love it.

Do nights ever become more than the tedious waiting game they always seem to turn into in survival games? I enjoy the gameplay and the visuals are pretty freaky in a good way so far, but nights just kill the flow by making me hole up in my workbench room until dawn.

That being said I do really like that time freezes until you leave your hideout in the morning. Lets you get all the tiny little repairs/crafting/bartering done without burning daylight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any game like Spec Ops: The Line or This War of Mine where the horror isn't fantastical or the result of any sort of cult, but a really horrible natural disaster that just devastates a town to the point of society collapsing in that little corner of the world; and if so can that actually be a horror game and not be too action or survival based to be true horror? Like nothing as severe as a nuke or full scale invasion, but like a really bad combo of a huge freak flood, hurricane/tsunami and earthquake hits a coastal town and just rips the area to shreds to the point where there is little means to contact anyone outside or to know if there is help coming or how far you'd have to go to find it. I'm talking a lot of livelihoods just sunk into the waters and people getting desperate just to survive, recover something of what they lost or make something out of themselves in this unfortunate opportunity. But no matter what people chose to believe, if they want to think its some huge government conspiracy or some Silent Hill like shenanigans going down: in the end, all of the bad things happening after the disaster are the actions of people.

Can you make a horror game in the scope of Blue Ruin?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Murdered by your ocs, yeah

Whiplash The Hedgehog (OC do not steal) lumbers out of the darkness and lets out a low growl. His arms and legs are different lengths and he's dark red and neon blue. In your head all you can think as you turn to run is, gotta go fast.

Truly the scariest game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

surprised i didnt see this posted

https://www.humblebundle.com/spooky-horror-bundle

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Does Darkwood have a lot of story events? Or is it way more focused on the survival aspect? The atmosphere and writting intrigue me, but I wanted to know how much of that writting I would get.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Untrustable posted:

Whiplash The Hedgehog (OC do not steal) lumbers out of the darkness and lets out a low growl. His arms and legs are different lengths and he's dark red and neon blue. In your head all you can think as you turn to run is, gotta go fast.

Truly the scariest game.

Someone's preparing for Sonic Forces, I see.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I picked up Outlast 2 during the PlayStation sale this week and...it's not *that* bad? The mechanical improvements are pretty good, and the baby killing plot is overdone but still kind of spooky.

It would be a pretty good game it the devs could pump their loving brakes in terms of the gore. You can just have a sack of sand swinging into a door to open it, guys, not everything had to be a mangled corpse.

FirstAidKite posted:

This looks super rad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I picked up Outlast 2 during the PlayStation sale this week and...it's not *that* bad? The mechanical improvements are pretty good, and the baby killing plot is overdone but still kind of spooky.

It would be a pretty good game it the devs could pump their loving brakes in terms of the gore. You can just have a sack of sand swinging into a door to open it, guys, not everything had to be a mangled corpse.

I think the big problem people had with it was that everything, whether the gore, or the events, or the writing, was just so overdone. There's no subtlety to the game, and after the third explanation about how they rape pregnant ladies then stab them then rape the wound then tear them apart then drink the placenta or whatever, it just gets trite.

Edit: Oh, speaking of Distrust, if you own Beholder then you should've received a 25%-off coupon for it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Oh, speaking of Distrust, if you own Beholder then you should've received a 25%-off coupon for it.

I did, and I think that lasts a week? It's a good deal but I haven't even played Beholder yet, and I may have one or more other games in my steam account to play first...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This looks super rad.

I haven't played it, but watching John Wolfe's LP I thought it looked pretty alright up to the midway point where it shits the bed. And even John agrees that it starts off really strong but then it throws more and more gimmicky enemies at you while the levels become claustrophobic and lazily designed. The ending feels totally rushed with a secondary antagonist disappearing completely, and the devs kind of admitted they had plans for more closure but couldn't make it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

outlast 2 occasionally throws a wadded up ball of paper at you and expects you be frightened by it but eventually it gets to a point where they just rapidly and constantly whip the things at you with not a single break and it's goddamn tiring

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

outlast 2 occasionally throws a wadded up ball of paper at you and expects you be frightened by it but eventually it gets to a point where they just rapidly and constantly whip the things at you with not a single break and it's goddamn tiring

This also. It was tiring as an observer, I can't imagine how frustrating it is as a player. I really liked the school segments and the transitions are pretty clever but eventually those act breaks are trying to kill you along with everything else.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Outlast 2 decided that the tight hallways and rooms from the first game weren't scary, and that the true horror was wandering around a very large area and bumping into an enemy on accident.

I really liked the first Outlast and I generally hate the hide or be murdered type games. I don't know. It's like the first game was the theatrical release and Outlast 2 is the direct to DVD ULTRA UNRATED sequel. It wallows in it's badness.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There's one YouTube guy who does long winded videos about nerd video games who came to pretty much the same conclusion.
I like his videos a lot but I'm into listening to nerds talk about nerd things for hours on end.

My entire opinion of Outlast 2 is "there is an entire trench of dead babies in it, played totally seriously"

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 25, 2017

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Meallan posted:

Does Darkwood have a lot of story events? Or is it way more focused on the survival aspect? The atmosphere and writting intrigue me, but I wanted to know how much of that writting I would get.

Came back to this thread to see what people were saying about Darkwood now that 1.0 is out and I'm surprised there isn't more talk about it.

The atmosphere is phenomenal and I can't really think of anything quite like it. I'd say it focuses more on exploration than survival - there's definitely resource management but, as has been mentioned it's not super punishing (at least where I'm up to, anyhow). It has a bit of an old-school feel to it in that you're not really given much direction but there's a lot to uncover.

There's not much of a traditional narrative as such but the way the world building is metered out is through the environment and character interactions works well. There's a real feeling of being trapped somewhere alien and hostile.

Someone asked about the nights. There is definitely some waiting around but I find that the oppressive atmosphere and unpredictable events are making them sufficiently tense.

I don't think it will be for everyone but it's really hitting the mark for me.

As an aside I picked it up years ago when it was first on early access being pitched as a procgen game with permadeath. For anyone else who played it back then: it has changed substantially and is worth taking another look at.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone's preparing for Sonic Forces, I see.

The real horror is watching all the viewers as they watch you reveal all of your dark sonic fantasies in real time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I'm trying the Lakeview Cabin Collection and unfortunately I just can't seem to get into it. The lack of explanation about even the controls at the start makes it more frustrating than fun.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks Moon. I'll pick it up. I'm a really big fan of pathologic and miss that whole folklore slavic atmosphere and the game seems to have that in spades.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)

chitoryu12 posted:

So I'm trying the Lakeview Cabin Collection and unfortunately I just can't seem to get into it. The lack of explanation about even the controls at the start makes it more frustrating than fun.

yeah same. bought it a while back and gave up. it feels like a rube goldberg machine with too many parts and not enough guidance. i get that it's part of the appeal but it never clicked for me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing I don't like about Lakeview Cabin is that the pixel art (which is mostly-great, I like the aesthetic) makes it hard to know what the hell you're even holding sometimes. For me, that was what led to some frustration because I couldn't know what a thing might do if I don't even know what the thing I'm holding is.

Abstract, free-form puzzle solving isn't for everybody but me I kinda loved it. And I've not beat a single one, not one. Just a question though, have you guys only tried the Friday the 13th opening level or have you played around with some of the others? The final level is probably the most straightforward, there's not a lot in the way of esoteric item puzzles and it's mostly just you trying to get all of your team onto an escape pod while a shapeshifting monster out of The Thing slowly takes over everybody onboard the space station (including your teammates if you're not playing as them).

The one right before that (the Halloween/Nightmare on Elm Street one) is good for dicking around without the constraints of death. Your characters never fully "die", they can always resurrect, and in fact the main puzzle involves killing each victim in specific ways and then coming back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What really got me is I started Lakeview Cabin III figuring that I'd get some kind of storyline or explanation. Instead, I didn't even get a pop-up with controls and had to blindly stumble around figuring out what to do or if it was even possible to use anything. I ended up killing one of my characters because I didn't know that pressing the button I did would throw a loving lantern, or that it was going to explode on impact.

I nearly lost another character because using matches caused them to set themselves on fire. The only reason they didn't die is she was standing on the docks at the time. I've also been unable to figure out which items will be thrown and which will be used until I use them, especially since the pixel art makes it hard to identify some objects, and that's not a great thing when using the object could result in you just committing suicide. I didn't even know the notes I was picking up were notes until I saw that using them added them to the pause menu.

It's just not fun for me. The puzzle solving aspects could be good, but the game is so obtuse and opaque that it's an exercise in frustration and illogical decisions.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
I haven't booted it up in a while, I think only the first few eps were available when I played. I'll have to give them a shot.

I really do want to like it, I'm into the style and had fun with the original flash game when it came out. Hopefully it clicks for me this time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Jukebox Hero posted:

There's one YouTube guy who does long winded videos about nerd video games who came to pretty much the same conclusion.
I like his videos a lot but I'm into listening to nerds talk about nerd things for hours on end.

My entire opinion of Outlast 2 is "there is an entire trench of dead babies in it, played totally seriously"

Holy loving poo poo, I forgot about the fact that they need you to feel bad about something happening in Catholic school instead of your wife or girlfriend being raped by crazy cultists. They couldn't stand to have one woman in a fridge, they also needed to shove a girl in the fridge that didn't matter until they decided to make religion itself this dude's tormentor for some reason. Like gently caress, either choose that the problem is the cult here or the unraveling of him failing to save a girl years ago by going back to that same Catholic School years later and poo poo going off the rails there so his past there has purpose! JESUS CHRIST, HOW DO YOU gently caress UP THAT BADLY?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Moooooooooooon posted:

Came back to this thread to see what people were saying about Darkwood now that 1.0 is out and I'm surprised there isn't more talk about it.

The atmosphere is phenomenal and I can't really think of anything quite like it. I'd say it focuses more on exploration than survival - there's definitely resource management but, as has been mentioned it's not super punishing (at least where I'm up to, anyhow). It has a bit of an old-school feel to it in that you're not really given much direction but there's a lot to uncover.

There's not much of a traditional narrative as such but the way the world building is metered out is through the environment and character interactions works well. There's a real feeling of being trapped somewhere alien and hostile.

Someone asked about the nights. There is definitely some waiting around but I find that the oppressive atmosphere and unpredictable events are making them sufficiently tense.

I don't think it will be for everyone but it's really hitting the mark for me.

As an aside I picked it up years ago when it was first on early access being pitched as a procgen game with permadeath. For anyone else who played it back then: it has changed substantially and is worth taking another look at.

I get the distinct impression from the very early game that combat is going to kill me many, many, many times.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lakeview Cabin Collection also had this kind of...idk, ARG element to it? I dunno if ARG is the right phrase here. Basically, they expected players to use information from later parts and figure out secrets in former parts in order to try and piece together a timeline and story of what happened, but it got more than a little nuts since it turned into something along the lines of there is an evil guy and he is the head of the family and he used to be part of a cannibal cult that raped women and produced weird rat fetus things and each member of the family was crazy in some way except the daughter and the father ended up killing his wife and unborn child but then they came back and some others killed them instead and you have to kill him too because he is mad about what you did and also his ghost haunts and possesses people and also the evil son might be living down in the sewers below the theater where you're watching these films and

WHAT IS GOING ON ANYMORE

Basically, it got really obtuse with its plot and expected people to try to piece it together and I'm not sure anybody ever did or, if they did, it certainly didn't fit together in a way that was uhhhh good? Sensible? Satisfying? Something like that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It's funny, I've kind of forgotten how weird and janky LCC was a year after playing it. I remember really enjoying it, but I kind of dig games that just throw you in the mix and make you figure stuff out through trial and error (error being deaths that are sometime so ridiculous you just gotta laugh). There's definitely some part of me that wishes it was an early access title and they were still trying to work out the design kinks, the current one kind of feels like a proof of concept. At least a couple of the episodes did, though I don't remember which ones they were.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I really liked what I played of LCC, except the Texas Chainsaw level. It felt too random and you don't really get a chance to explore before you're attacked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm playing through Observer a second time and I found several areas to explore and one whole sidequest I never found before at all. This is a pretty drat good game for the price.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Speedball posted:

I'm playing through Observer a second time and I found several areas to explore and one whole sidequest I never found before at all. This is a pretty drat good game for the price.

The game is so good during the middle part where there's all these side stuff to explore. I think if critics really praise the parts of the game where it's so much like an adventure game (honestly even he first mindjack and the sidequest mindjack) while tearing down their need for being overly repetitive, overly reliant on certain horror gimmicks etc, that their next game could honestly be at the level of SOMA. They have learnt a lot with this game and if they really polish it up, they really could make something excellent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meallan posted:

The game is so good during the middle part where there's all these side stuff to explore. I think if critics really praise the parts of the game where it's so much like an adventure game (honestly even he first mindjack and the sidequest mindjack) while tearing down their need for being overly repetitive, overly reliant on certain horror gimmicks etc, that their next game could honestly be at the level of SOMA. They have learnt a lot with this game and if they really polish it up, they really could make something excellent.

This makes me glad to hear, and I'm considering getting it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

This makes me glad to hear, and I'm considering getting it now.

I at least liked it a lot more than layers. But I can also easily see why someone wouldn't due to said bad parts of it being spread out throughout the second half of the game. If you really hated layers beware; if not you may like this one. See some reviews to know what you're looking for, it still not even close to the experience SOMA was; but I definitely think they improved and that this game has a lot more into it.

Honestly I ended it really wishing they would keep the setting at least; you get most of the world-building through exploration and that was more interesting to me than the mainquest storyline. The hints to how draining an observer job is, the after effects of a digital plague, the new religions that have surfaced, the way handicapped people are perceived. But while this sounds like a lot, there's really only hints of it in emails, environment objects and some of the talks with the neighbours. It's a shame though, because I think that's what people really enjoyed of the game and encouraged exploration.