Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

O poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

There can be only one

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It doesn't, which is why I'm asking for help.
I'll have to check out the phone apps though. That's pretty nifty.

:colbert:

Interesting.

I did not know my erection could get this hard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Thanks for the help guys.

It's certainly better than no music.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
The improvised setup is always the best setup.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Speaking of setups, my setup reached a new peak this weekend:

-Canton GLE50 - West German monitors from 1979. Weighs 14 lbs each, and have one of the crispest most detailed sounds I've ever heard. Hooked up to the B&O 7000.
-Tannoy V4i - Generic HiFi speaker, and I have the rest of the surround set for a future upgrade.
-Cerwin Vega LS10 - Sold right after I took this picture. Got them for free, needed a new tweeter. Apparently one of CVs better sounding speakers, but wasn't for me.
-Technics SL-1210Mk2
-Sony CDP-X303ES
-Yamaha RX-V1700 - MONSTER home theatre receiver, bi-amped to the Tannoys. It has every kind of consumer audio connection you could want, and I haven't been missing anything running it as a stereo receiver.
-B&O Beosystem 7000/Beogram 8500/NAD PP2e, with custom wiring harness to maintain datalink while splicing in the RIAA.
-Beovision MX7000 with Denon DVD-1920 DVD/SACD.
-In front a Yamaha RX-496RDS, CDX396 and Sony MDS-JE510 under the B&O MCP 5500. The Yamaha has their fancy loudness correction. Haven't had much time to play with this yet, but I like what I've heard so far.
-Not visible: A Denon tuner and CD-player, Pioneer DVD, a couple of Marantz taperecorders and my portable minidisc with all the discs.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 7, 2017

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have those CV speakers and also had to replace the tweeters.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Personally, I always felt that Technics had the crown for VU meters.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thanks for the help guys.

It's certainly better than no music.

"Dorm room, circa 1982."

I love everything about this.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

I have those CV speakers and also had to replace the tweeters.

At least it was dirt simple to test and fix, and even at the local hifipusher the replacements were cheap. I saw reproductions on ebay that cost more than the genuine article, so I'm gonna guess the failrate is pretty high if you can sustainably make offbrand ones.

I also tried my hand at refoaming a couple of B&O S50 the dealer gave me for free since they were too much work to be profitable for them, and I found out I'm not cut out for that kind of job.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 7, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mattdev posted:

I have a pair of Realistic Mach 2s that are vaguely pictured below and I want to get some stands for them. Any recommendations that don't look too terrible and won't topple over when my dumbass cats jump on them? Many stands I've seen won't work because they tend to be pretty narrow and these are so drat huge.

https://deercreekaudio.com/

i bought stands for my l166s from here. not the cheapest solution, but they're perfect.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Another neat option besides vu meters is to find an oscilloscope tuner. Besides allowing super exact tuning of stations most have inputs so you can feed your preamp into the scope and get a neat light show.

My marantz 150 tuner has both 2ch and 4ch scope modes.

I don't have any videos but here is one from YT

https://youtu.be/KJP06IHFqfs

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
How many more decades would it take for my iPhone to be considered as a vintage audio player?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Boy, do I have a unique one for you guys. My best friend from law school has some recordings of his great grandfather on metallic records. I have never seen anything like this and we're curious how one would go about playing them back:

Also, a buddy gave me a busted Marantz 1060 I'm going to get fixed. I'm pretty excited.

E: fixed images

That is cool as heck and I've never seen anything like that. Is the inner grooves also metal? How wouldn't that destory even a 78 needle?

My rare 78 find is a NM shellac 78 put out under the KKK label in the 20s. I did a google search on it and discovered PBS did some segment describing the short lived KKK label and other things. I also saw some collection house selling one which had been cracked and glued back together for $75 !

I don't think Ebay will let me sell it though and Discogs made me pull it down, so I seem to be stuck with it.

I think it's historically interesting. The recording studio that rented time to the KKK group is the same studio that put out some of the best Chicago jazz of that time. Money talks I guess..

Sorry for getting off topic, I would love to know more about that metal 78.

e ; Here are the directions for use as they appeared on the sleeve of that metal disc

quote:

DIRECTIONS
Take this metal disc and play it as you would any ordinary recond on a phonograph. To obtain the best results use a loud tone needle. Sing into the sound box loudly and distinctly. If possible use a megaphone. When you have finished, play it over again and hear YOUR VOICE.

It is advisable before using to let the needle go once over the disc to remove dust particles which may have accumulated.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 11, 2017

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_disc

quote:

Most recordings on bare aluminum are believed to have perished in the scrap metal drives held during World War II.[1] Aluminum was declared to be a critical war material and civilians in the US were urged to do their patriotic duty by finding and turning in anything made of it. The collected "scrap" was melted and recycled.

And I answered my own question about needle wear

quote:

The recording had to be played back with a fiber needle such as cut and pointed bamboo or a plant thorn, as an ordinary steel needle in a typical heavy pickup would severely damage the soft aluminum surface. Even when playing a bare aluminium disc with a modern lightweight magnetic cartridge, a hard stylus that does not correctly fit the contour of the groove will score its surface and tend to skip and repeat, damaging the disc as well as degrading the quality of the recovered audio

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 11, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr.Caligari posted:

That is cool as heck and I've never seen anything like that. Is the inner grooves also metal? How wouldn't that destory even a 78 needle?

My rare 78 find is a NM shellac 78 put out under the KKK label in the 20s. I did a google search on it and discovered PBS did some segment describing the short lived KKK label and other things. I also saw some collection house selling one which had been cracked and glued back together for $75 !

I don't think Ebay will let me sell it though and Discogs made me pull it down, so I seem to be stuck with it.

I think it's historically interesting. The recording studio that rented time to the KKK group is the same studio that put out some of the best Chicago jazz of that time. Money talks I guess..

Sorry for getting off topic, I would love to know more about that metal 78.

e ; Here are the directions for use as they appeared on the sleeve of that metal disc

Yeah, the best you can probably do is hold onto it yourself and use it as an example of how hosed up racism and politics were/are. People get really revisionist about ugly stuff in the past and try to whitewash over poo poo. I really believe that it's important to keep tangible evidence like this around and not just destroy it outright. At the same time, you have to be responsible and super-conscious of how you curate material like that.

But selling it is gonna be problematic no matter how you handle it, and there are good reasons why major sites won't touch it. You can't control for who sees your ad, and there's no guarantee that the person you sell it to is really going to have good or responsible intentions behind it. How do you know that the "history teacher" on the other end of your transaction isn't actually a neo-nazi? At worst it invites really unsavory people to get into correspondence with you. And it goes without saying that you should probably never, ever arrange to meet a potential buyer for something like that in person.

Edit: if you don't want to keep it, maybe find a local university (media studies, African American studies, history are good departments to try) and see if they'll take a donation. Depending on where you are, it may actually be illegal to request or exchange money for it on account of it being hate propaganda.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 11, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Palladium posted:

How many more decades would it take for my iPhone to be considered as a vintage audio player?

aren't non-touch ipods already in that category?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Abel Wingnut posted:

aren't non-touch ipods already in that category?

yeah click wheels are officially 'vintage' and there's a pretty good few tutorials about how to swap the internal HDD with solid state memory

Anywho, I did a thing:

Listening to The Postal Service - Give Up is pretty loving awesome and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself.
The Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack? Not so much but I can't stop, won't stop.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

yeah click wheels are officially 'vintage' and there's a pretty good few tutorials about how to swap the internal HDD with solid state memory

Anywho, I did a thing:

Listening to The Postal Service - Give Up is pretty loving awesome and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself.
The Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack? Not so much but I can't stop, won't stop.

Nice setup, I wish I had that kind of space!

I got rid of my CVs, my Cantons and my Yamaha receiver, so that helps a bit on space. What doesn't help is getting a 14" Tandberg CRT I have to find room for. I also got a pair of Gale Gold Monitor speakers, which will serve as rear speakers in my surround setup. The Tannoy V1i that are currently rears are way too nice to just sit around and wait for movies, so they will be upgraded to serve on my Beosystem 7000.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Sony D-Z555 yesterday, but it was in very poor shape. Even if I could have sold it for parts and made a profit, sometimes my time and sanity and not having a bunch of money tied up for a few weeks is more worth.

I did pick up some tunes at a garage sale:

And finally, I learned at what point I just say "gently caress it" to a potential project, and throw it in the recycling:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

are those batteries? holy poo poo

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

are those batteries? holy poo poo

I thought someone tried to jam a Reuben Sandwich into a VCR.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
After carefully digging out those two, I realized there was 6 of them in there in total, and said "gently caress it". It's not worth the job to rescue an old Sanyo boombox that at best will be worth $30.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

evobatman posted:

After carefully digging out those two, I realized there was 6 of them in there in total, and said "gently caress it". It's not worth the job to rescue an old Sanyo boombox that at best will be worth $30.

$30? my friend... I want you to repeat after me. Ahem

Hipsters.

Also, boomboxes are cool and good, and battery crud is easy to clean out.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

$30? my friend... I want you to repeat after me. Ahem

Hipsters.

Also, boomboxes are cool and good, and battery crud is easy to clean out.

I have too many other projects to deal with, so it went into the recycling yesterday.

Looks like my SL-1210MkII sells today, and I also had a somewhat interesting deal on German eBay. A private seller put up a Sony tapedeck for sale, with €6 shipping to Norway. I had to pay via bank transfer, so it will be interesting to see if it shows up at all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Serious post:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality mixer? I want to be able to seamlessly spin records.
I'm not a DJ. I don't need a bunch of effects or adjustments or EQ poo poo. I just want a simple mixer with a quality phono stage.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Serious post:
Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality mixer? I want to be able to seamlessly spin records.
I'm not a DJ. I don't need a bunch of effects or adjustments or EQ poo poo. I just want a simple mixer with a quality phono stage.

Mackie always used to be good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much every mixer has EQ, just leave them in the middle. The Pioneer DJM-250MK2 is like $350, or there's the Mixars cut for like $200. There's some Numarks and Behringers that are cheaper if you're really going for light duty. There's a few super-minimal mixers that are basically just a fader but they don't have phono inputs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BigFactory posted:

Mackie always used to be good.

I've always been a big fan of Mackie gear but all my stuff is older.
I'm assuming they've kept their high standard of quality.

qirex posted:

Pretty much every mixer has EQ, just leave them in the middle. The Pioneer DJM-250MK2 is like $350, or there's the Mixars cut for like $200. There's some Numarks and Behringers that are cheaper if you're really going for light duty. There's a few super-minimal mixers that are basically just a fader but they don't have phono inputs.

That's pretty sexy actually. It looks like it'd be a good fit for my SL1200MKII's I might just say gently caress it and go full on household-DJ and record my mixes for the lolz.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
My record player ( AT LP60) all of a sudden started sounding...muddy. like it's all cloudy bass and no treble. I tried replacing the stylus and nothing changed, and it's not my amp because the other input on it (aux cord) sounds fine. Does this sound like anything i can fix or should I have spent more than 100 dollars on a turntable a couple years ago

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do you have a separate phono amp you could try?

Otherwise, could be either some kind of internal wiring, or the cart, which on the LP60 you can't replace.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Are you running it in Phono mode through a phono port? It being that bassy makes me think maybe the RIAA curve is being double applied. Try switching it to Line and see if that helps.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
Yep, it's been in line mode. It went from working one day to not working the next time I used it. My cat's fault, somehow? probably.

I replaced the stylus and it didn't fix it, is there anything I can do? I don't think anything else is removable/replaceable.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

helsabot posted:

Yep, it's been in line mode. It went from working one day to not working the next time I used it. My cat's fault, somehow? probably.

I replaced the stylus and it didn't fix it, is there anything I can do? I don't think anything else is removable/replaceable.

Not really too much else unless you took it all apart, but even then those entry level turntables don't have a lot of places to fix them. You could try it's internal phono amp in the aux input to see if it's related to that.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
well, poo poo
Are there any good automatic turntables? I'm really lazy and it looks like most of the turntables people recommend are totally manual

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

helsabot posted:

well, poo poo
Are there any good automatic turntables? I'm really lazy and it looks like most of the turntables people recommend are totally manual

How automatic are we talking here? like auto stop? or full on 'select a track?'

I used to have a Sansui P-L40 that did right by me. But I don't think it's anywhere near as good as my SL-1200 MKII's
The problem with fully auto TT's is that they have a real hard time figuring out 6" discs

People swear by old Denon and Thorens but they're gonna be harder to find and will cost you

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2017

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I would double check the turntable's phono mode through your amp's aux port before buying a new one. It would suck to get a new one and have the same problem come back.

Another thing that's possible is that maybe the angle of the headshell changed? I'm not sure how much movement there is on it, but it would sound boomy if the back end is angled down when playing a record.

As far as recommendations, I have an old BIC 960 that's fully automatic. They need to be opened and re-oiled, but they're much cheaper than the other vintage turntables listed above, but a step above modern automatic tables. I paid somewhere around $50 for mine on Craigslist and love it. I think most tables above $100 are manual these days, unfortunately.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

helsabot posted:

My record player ( AT LP60) all of a sudden started sounding...muddy. like it's all cloudy bass and no treble. I tried replacing the stylus and nothing changed, and it's not my amp because the other input on it (aux cord) sounds fine. Does this sound like anything i can fix or should I have spent more than 100 dollars on a turntable a couple years ago

A long shot but it's cheap to try: have you tried checking that the ground wire is properly seated?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
This is my life now

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ooh, that's one of the sony field recorders with XLR inputs, right? Have you tested it out? Wonder how well it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Ooh, that's one of the sony field recorders with XLR inputs, right? Have you tested it out? Wonder how well it works.

Nah, it's a Marantz PMD201 that got sent to me by mistake when I bought a couple of stereo recorders on ebay. It's a 2-head mono recorder, and it's defective. I did own a Sony TC-D5M earlier, which is the non-XLR version of what you're thinking of. It's in my post history in this thread. It needed servicing, so I sold it.