Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

RideTheSpiral posted:

you say this about every single thing that happens in football. maybe you just don't really know anything about football idk
Which team do you support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Hoops posted:

Which team do you support

The shittiest one. Lmao.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Dembele's release clause is 400 million euros lol

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

I was surprised and hurt to be on the receiving end of such a comment so I've just re-read all my posts from this thread and I've said I didn't know who someone was like 1-and-a-half times before today.

So hey RideTheSpiral, suck my dick haha

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TheBigAristotle posted:

Dembele's release clause is 400 million euros lol

Like that's gonna stop an oil state if they set their mind on him lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don't know who any of the Dembele's or Traore's are and I don't care.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Hoops posted:

I was surprised and hurt to be on the receiving end of such a comment so I've just re-read all my posts from this thread and I've said I didn't know who someone was like 1-and-a-half times before today.

I'm no expert but I'd say someone just got proper owned.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I may be a cockeyed optimist, but I don't think Arsenal struggling to re-sign a bad midfielder for the sole reason that he wants to be told he is a good midfielder is cause for concern.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hoops posted:

Nice meltdown

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Ox has had chance after chance to prove he isn't a squad level player and hasn't. Maybe it's coaching but I doubt it, let him gently caress off.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Hoops posted:

haha imagine reading all your posts in a block. goondolences

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

haha imagine reading all your posts in a block. goondolences
Do not attack me again.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

wicka posted:

I may be a cockeyed optimist, but I don't think Arsenal struggling to re-sign a bad midfielder for the sole reason that he wants to be told he is a good midfielder is cause for concern.

No but not signing their two most important attacking players with a fair portion of the squad also nearing the final year of their contracts might be.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

wicka posted:

It's not a problem now, its a problem in the future when he'll be starting after ozil, sanchez and ramsey leave

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No but not signing their two most important attacking players with a fair portion of the squad also nearing the final year of their contracts might be.

I mean, they don't wanna sign, I'm not sure what can be done. You can either sell them or keep them. Maybe if people were offering reasonable fees for Sanchez and Ozil in like June, and there were equally reasonable potential replacements on the market, but that was never the case. Sincerely don't see how this was handled poorly. You can't make them sign.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Jose posted:

west brom signed someone

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

wicka posted:

You can't make them sign.

You can do a better job of making them want to stay. It's hard to say it's not systematic at this point.

That said gently caress em all and take some punts on cheap talent (it does still exist when you aren't getting hyped up stars).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
remember when Arsenal had viera and Henry in their primes

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Arsenal should just spend hundreds of millions and reshape the entire team like all the big money clubs, duh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

T Bowl posted:

Arsenal should just spend hundreds of millions and reshape the entire team like all the big money clubs, duh

They probably should.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

You can do a better job of making them want to stay. It's hard to say it's not systematic at this point.

That said gently caress em all and take some punts on cheap talent (it does still exist when you aren't getting hyped up stars).

What is systematic, exactly?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Gigi Galli posted:

They probably should.

It came across as sarcastic only because they won't spend that type of money.. I don't know if they actually can or not and won't pretend to.. but I know they won't.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

wicka posted:

players not wanting to stay

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

players not wanting to stay

I’m not sure I’m willing to draw a comparison between Fabregas’ Barcelona DNA and Ozil/Sanchez just wanting to win the CL.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

wicka posted:

Players are interested in two things: trophies/awards and money. They'll get more of both going to any of the top EPL teams, Barca/RM/AM, PSG/Monaco or Bayern. Arsenal won't splash money, doesn't have the international fan base, social media presence or rich backers, and isn't likely to find itself deep in the Champions League or at the top of the EPL table post-Dec any time soon. This affects perception of their worth, reduces their endorsement value and wastes productive years of their short career. There isn't any reason for a good player to stay there.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The black French Dembele

https://twitter.com/beinsports/status/901112176819060736

Coutinho is kicking off as well

Barcelona are a bunch of cunts.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dirk Pitt posted:

Barcelona are a bunch of cunts.

If this fucks up my fantasy team there will be trouble.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheQuietWilds posted:

Players are interested in two things: trophies/awards and money. They'll get more of both going to any of the top EPL teams, Barca/RM/AM, PSG/Monaco or Bayern. Arsenal won't splash money, doesn't have the international fan base, social media presence or rich backers, and isn't likely to find itself deep in the Champions League or at the top of the EPL table post-Dec any time soon. This affects perception of their worth, reduces their endorsement value and wastes productive years of their short career. There isn't any reason for a good player to stay there.

A few of Arsenal's players are very interested in the London nightlife as well if you know what I mean.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If Chelsea are really willing to pay £35m for Oxbox Chamberlain then Arsenal should take the money and run. Maybe spend them on some new legs for Wilshere or something.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
So Ox, Wilshere, Sanchez and Ozil all go on a free next season. They should sell one of them surely

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gigi Galli posted:

I don't know who any of the Dembele's or Traore's are and I don't care.

I had 3 Traores on my PES master league team at one point and still don't know who any of them are. I think they're all pacey wingers??

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

So Ox, Wilshere, Sanchez and Ozil all go on a free next season. They should sell one of them surely

I suspect that they would have sold Ozil and Wilshere if they could find anyone willing to buy them for a decent price.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

They all can go on a free next year, it's pretty unlikely that all four will.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

wicka posted:

They all can go on a free next year, it's pretty unlikely that all four will.

Are there other clubs contending for the top four with, arguably, their top four best known, marketable players, able to piss off next year for nowt?

I genuinely don't know but vaguely hate arsenal so less genuinely believe not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are there other clubs contending for the top four with, arguably, their top four best known, marketable players, able to piss off next year for nowt?

The Ox is a squad player and Wilshire hasn't played for them for a long while.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sassassin posted:

The Ox is a squad player and Wilshire hasn't played for them for a long while.

Sure, I get that. But they are the players talked about in this thread and elsewhere. and money talks or something? I guess my point might be that if one of the most talker about arsenal players can't get a game for arsenal that means arsenal, infact, suck.

i was going to leave it there but thats rude so how has your day been?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If you think this is a problem, and they refuse to extend their contracts, should they be sold this summer?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

wicka posted:

If you think this is a problem, and they refuse to extend their contracts, should they be sold this summer?

Are they able to extend their contracts?

I think this is probably where the guys talking about the problem being systemic comes in.

I'm not criticising arsenal's manoeuvres this trading window (that sounds american), I'm just saying they are hosed and there maybe are no great moves.

edit - sorry I realise you meant the players are refusing the contract extension. Yeah? I guess so? I dunno. what do you think?

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 25, 2017

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not sure why the Ox wants to move to Chelsea when he wants to play centre mid and there's no way he'll start there for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are they able to extend their contracts?

I think this is probably where the guys talking about the problem being systemic comes in.

I'm not criticising arsenal's manoeuvres this trading window (that sounds american), I'm just saying they are hosed and there maybe are no great moves.

edit - sorry I realise you meant the players are refusing the contract extension. Yeah? I guess so? I dunno. what do you think?

In a vacuum I would say the correct decision is to sell them, but the fees being offered are like half of what it'd take to "replace" any of them, and you can't really directly replace talent like Sanchez anyway (even players equally talented still have to bed in with the team/league). Plus, getting back into the Champions League is more important than anything else, which means focusing on the present at the potential expense of the future.

So yeah, I think it's just common sense to keep Sanchez and Ozil and hold out some small hope that they can be convinced to re-sign. Ox...idk, he's shown me nothing to suggest he's ever going to be a top quality midfielder, but it still seems dumb to sell him to a direct rival. I think he will probably re-sign after the window closes. And there's really nothing for Arsenal to lose regarding Wilshere.

• Locked thread