Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
lol when I see people decorate their mcdungeons so their friends have to drive 40 minutes to play d&d instead if going to the game store where other people are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Beats the gently caress out of being at the game store with some other goons and being one table away from the d&d group that really can't get over how funny they find the concept of anal sex with a dragon and spend about an hour yelling about it.

Why yes, I speak from experience, why do you ask?

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Wait, middle aged women addicted to HGTV will pay how much to stencil on an old fence board?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Probably come into this thread at the wrong point but I wonder what the issue is with tiled counter tops? Solely cleaning? I'm not about to do one but shower cubicle and little soap nook in tiles on horizontal surface makes me wonder if I'm about to make a mistake? I understand it's rude not to commit to the thread but I feel I might be able to personally offer some stuff up if not advised better.

As someone who has 1" mosaic in, well, nearly every room, I can assure you that they're hell to keep clean. The bathroom hasn't been too bad, but we spent a few hours scrubbing every grout line in the kitchen. In addition to what people have mentioned about wet foods, coffee grounds, spilled sugar, chia seeds, etc will all try to stick in the grout and the only real way to get it out is vacuums.

It also doesn't help that this tilework is probably 60 years old at this point, so some of the grout lines aren't in perfect shape anymore. I'm not looking forward to that repair job.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Slides are really neat though :3: My favorite thing about a photography class I took in college was getting the slides made up so we could look at them in class.

I just finished clicking through the first house, and while there are some really questionable tile decisions (what I thought was faux-brick linoleum at first, so bacon-red, paired with your standard seafoam glass subway tiles), it's such an appealingly warm house. I think what I love most about it is how it seems built for kids, much more than usual mansions. Take a look at that walkway going over the indoor pool and tell me that wouldn't have been the site of some epic super soaker battles.

One of the things I love about MCM compared to other "modern" movements is how warm they are. The wood paneling and curved lines may seem tacky now but it's much nicer to actually live in than the stark whites and grays and harsh geometry that we see in contemporary architecture.

More MCM beauties

One of William Harvard's "modern tropical" houses; he would later co-found the municipal/commercial architecture firm Harvard Jolly

The Salber Residence by Frank DePasquale

A house with the Best Bathroom

THE BEST

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
ah yes, poo pourri, the focal point of any mcm bathroom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I don't know what the point of that glass thing on the faucet is, but I hate it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The glass thing IS the faucet. The water comes out from between a couple plates of glass. The thing you were probably reading as the faucet is the handle.

Now try to figure out how to clean it!

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.
I think this is the bathroom that cut a thousand joists, complete with mold rocks.

As mentioned in the first joist cutting thread, it seems ok for a spa or hotel with daily cleanings but hell for home living.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
im the dirty-rear end old air vent over the bath tub.

(Otherwise I really like that house. And it only costs what a new high-rise condo is opening for in Vancouver!)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Space Wizard posted:

im the dirty-rear end old air vent over the bath tub.

(Otherwise I really like that house. And it only costs what a new high-rise condo is opening for in Vancouver!)

I like it too, but I the blinding white living room/dining room/bedrooms were originally wood paneling and the place loses some of its soul without it. I also liked the old pastel bathrooms better even though most people hate them. Also what the hell is that laminate ceiling in the master bedroom?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

lol when I see people decorate their mcdungeons so their friends have to drive 40 minutes to play d&d instead if going to the game store where other people are

lol if your house is so lovely that you'd rather play d&d at a game store rather than in a dedicated space where your gaming books and refrigerator and non-public toilet are

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

When you're so busy overdecorating you forget what space it's even supposed to be.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Can anyone help me find this thing (or something like it)?

http://pin.it/pA3cMn7

The article is in French, but google translate says it's a Japanese thing. It would be perfect for a room divider project I'm looking at for our new house and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything on it. We want to make a "free standing" wall to go in the middle of the master bedroom to divide the space up as it's a rather long room.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Japanese word is 突っ張り 間仕切り (tsuppari majikiri extendable divider)and I've gotten close results for the poles using "telescopic" and "expandable." It's twisty expanding poles with a cute (garden fence?) panel attached.
Extendable feet without long poles might also be sold in the secure-furniture-against-earthquakes section.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Lipstick on a Pig or "why you shouldn't pass off decoration for renovation"

Try not to be blinded by the photos

oops we forgot to put in flooring

it's washed out so you can't see the worn out old drywall that they didn't bother replacing

the gently caress is this room even supposed to be?

I don't know what they were thinking trying to turn a 1910 "Victorian" (bitch that's an Edwardian and you know it) into an industrial-farmhouse thingy but it didn't work. Or well, maybe it worked but we can't see half of it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

are the hideous floors considered industrial

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

peanut posted:

are the hideous floors considered industrial

Concrete = industrial in trendy decor-land

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I like it. Except for the overpainting, the furnishings, everything about the ladder room, the hanging sliding door, the painted fireplace, and the cranked photo brightness.

OK so I sort of like it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
My ex and I bought a 1925 bungalow that had been owned by a grandmother for like 47 years and hadn't been updated in probably almost as long. We spent a year remodeling it working with a local design firm I picked out. We were both super happy with the results and I had hoped to live there for many many years but alas life happens.

This is the house at any rate
http://www.brightdesignlab.com/overlook-house

it was a big big project, we moved several walls, built a dormer to provide more space on the top floor, refinished a basement, redid all of the electrical and plumbing. It's basically a new house in the bones of an old house. I had been a big fan of mid-century and scandinavian modern for a long timei and it's pretty common (but often poorly executed in my opinion) in Portland.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
If you can ignore the voice in your head telling you the brightness is hiding a multitude of sins, that bathroom is legitimately a nice room and all because it has an actual finished floor. Image the space with just some epoxy down; doesn't it look a million times better?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MMD3 posted:

My ex and I bought a 1925 bungalow that had been owned by a grandmother for like 47 years and hadn't been updated in probably almost as long. We spent a year remodeling it working with a local design firm I picked out. We were both super happy with the results and I had hoped to live there for many many years but alas life happens.

it was a big big project, we moved several walls, built a dormer to provide more space on the top floor, refinished a basement, redid all of the electrical and plumbing. It's basically a new house in the bones of an old house. I had been a big fan of mid-century and scandinavian modern for a long timei and it's pretty common (but often poorly executed in my opinion) in Portland.

Nice remodel! I like the color palette. Sounds like you have to move, though? Bummer.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Since my loft space is finished (with roof windows) but bizarrely only around 6' tall at the apex, - I was thinking long term of removing the ceilings above the small guest bedroom and offices directly below to get much more light and headroom. How much of a good/bad idea is this? The other 'half' of the loft would remain in place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Since my loft space is finished (with roof windows) but bizarrely only around 6' tall at the apex, - I was thinking long term of removing the ceilings above the small guest bedroom and offices directly below to get much more light and headroom. How much of a good/bad idea is this? The other 'half' of the loft would remain in place.

It's kinda alarming how much you're doing that I've also just had done. For me I did it over the master bedroom and the main entrance, leaving the other half (45%?) intact over the cinema room.

I like the way mine looks so far (it's boarded but not plastered yet), I was worried that it would make the body of the room itself feel more square than it was originally but that worry was unfounded. I also put a skylight in while I was at it which helps a lot and sounds like you'd get that for free.

There's some structural issues you'll have to contend with and you're limited in visual options due to fire regulations, but I can go through that if you want. You probably already covered the fire part when you had it finished.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm smiling as I read your reply :)

If it's not too personal, would you mind showing a shot of how it looks now? in my mind's eye it looks great - but I can't really picture the full realistic outcome.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

If it's not too personal, would you mind showing a shot of how it looks now?

Sure, here you go: http://imgur.com/a/H0hFI

The last one is the hallway.

Edit: Note that if you want the full vaulting like that with no joists and no collars you're going to have to put a steel in at the ridge purlin if you haven't already to take the weight of the roof and stop it splaying, and it's going to have to sit on something safe at each end (like a wall or post). I had to do some finagling because you can't use an active chimney breast as a structural support. You can go with just collars but since you've already opened up the attic I assume you've removed them already.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 26, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Allen Wren posted:

Beats the gently caress out of being at the game store with some other goons and being one table away from the d&d group that really can't get over how funny they find the concept of anal sex with a dragon and spend about an hour yelling about it.

Why yes, I speak from experience, why do you ask?

Plus it's hard to find a game store that's cool with beer.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

MMD3 posted:

I LOVE the tiling. Definitely the style I would go for if I had to renovate a kitchen/bathroom with ugly linoleum.

I like most of Bright Design lab's stuff, though once again I do not understand the appeal of bare concrete floors (in a MCM house, no less). Are they trying to make it look half-finished?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Whew.

Yeah, the bright white everything, exposed pipe and unfinished concrete makes that room scream 'state park toilet' to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I imagined a guard just out of frame.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Whew.

Yeah, the bright white everything, exposed pipe and unfinished concrete makes that room scream 'state park toilet' to me.

And the odd thing is that the rest of the house is quite tasteful and in line with the house's original aesthetic, it's just the basement and that bathroom where they went with the prison cell look.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Plus it's hard to find a game store that's cool with beer.

We were trying to convince our local comicbook store/gaming space owner to take over the defunct Applebees next door and turn it into a nerd bar. He floated the idea to the mall owner who shot it down because he sure a family restaurant will want the space again.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

I LOVE the tiling. Definitely the style I would go for if I had to renovate a kitchen/bathroom with ugly linoleum.

I like most of Bright Design lab's stuff, though once again I do not understand the appeal of bare concrete floors (in a MCM house, no less). Are they trying to make it look half-finished?

I can't wait for the loving towel ladder trend to end. I admit I know nothing about good design, but those just irk me. These second gen ones built as a towel rack are even worse than the "filthy old ladder brought in the house and repurposed as a towel rack" ones, because at least those were still useful as ladders.

For lols I checked if Ikea is making them, and their version is actually more sensible than most.

Still not useful as a ladder, but it has 4 feet so it won't get knocked over by a waggy dog or curious kid. And it's also a chair, you can sit on it or use the seat as a shelf. Not bad for apartment dwellers who don't have enough bathroom storage but aren't allowed to put up a shelf or towel bar.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I have this ladder-style shelf in my bathroom (it's actually more of an right-triangle shelf) and it is actually works really well? The bathroom was a long, narrow one with absolutely no storage, and the width made a full-sized shelf or console untenable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vonnegutt posted:

I have this ladder-style shelf in my bathroom (it's actually more of an right-triangle shelf) and it is actually works really well? The bathroom was a long, narrow one with absolutely no storage, and the width made a full-sized shelf or console untenable.

:argh:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I gis'd ladder shelf then triangle shelf and this blessed my day

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Nice remodel! I like the color palette. Sounds like you have to move, though? Bummer.

I moved a few years ago, she kept the house. I'm just glad one of us gets to enjoy it after all of the work that was poured into it.

Youth Decay posted:

Yeah, I found the blue tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. We really loved them, cost a mint to have the kitchen tiles shipped from overseas though.
These guys do great modern tile designs: http://www.pophamdesign.com/

As for the sealed concrete... A big factor for that in Portland (where Bright is) is that many houses have daylight basements (like this bathroom) that are below grade and may have water incursions from storms once or twice a year but not regularly enough to warrant not trying to finish out the basements. So a lot of people are taking unfinished basements in older homes and trying to make use of the space. We had to weigh that decision for our basement and ended up doing sealed concrete with area rugs over trying to carpet or floor it and worry about having to rip it up every couple of years to replace it. Thankfully we did what we did because the very next winter there was a ton of flooding and we had to replace our area rugs.

It's actually fairly historically accurate for MCM's in this part of the country as well. The most prolific MCM ranch builder in the Portland area was a man named Robert Rummer who was inspired by Joe Eichler down in California. Many of the Rummer homes in the area have bare concrete floors with radiant heating. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/green-tour-a-portland-rummer-59275#_

Here are some photos of our house when we first bought it so you can see just how crazy we went with the remodel:
http://imgur.com/a/5LF2e

and Dwell did an article on our remodel although they released it after we had split up so much of the interior decoration was my ex's and we agreed it made sense for them to omit me from the story:
https://www.dwell.com/article/a-1925-portland-home-is-a-rad-mashup-of-20th-century-styles-585ec565

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

reminded me of this:

"Don't mind me, folks. Just getting the ol' wet/dry vac."

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Not interior, but still requires some design: so, we have a small pond. We didn't know we had it when we bought thee lace because the area was so overgrown. I thought to myself that I'd clean it out. I poked a stick in it, didn't find the bottom after about a foot and a half at which point it started bubbling, so I backed away slowly and Called A Guy.

So now it's cleared out, and it's, uh, something.

From the driveway, you can start to see it.

From the slate sidewalk (which likely extends further but also has been overgrown) it's clearer.

Huh.

Yeah, so this thing is maybe twelve feet across and four feet deep.

I have precisely zero interest in a pond here at the moment. It is surrounded by pine trees and Japanese maples, both of which dump incredible amounts of hard-to-clean-up material on a regular basis. I also don't exactly want to just fill it in with concrete, and not just because that's an incredible amount of concrete. I was thinking of making some holes so it can drain, filling it with gravel and then pavers, and then putting a fire pit there. Any other thoughts?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

12 feet by 4 feet? drat, that's nearly a swimming pool.

It seems a shame to trash it if it holds water, it must have cost a fortune to put it in to begin with. Ponds are cool. But if you don't want to deal with setting up a pond filter and whatnot, I can see how letting it fill with stagnant water become a mosquito pit would be bad.

If you don't care about it, maybe the best thing would be to just put in a couple drainage holes and leave it for later? Filling it with anything is going to be a pretty big job, so letting it sit for a year couldn't hurt. Could be a fire pit, or a garden plot, or a trampoline storage pit. Compost heap. An oubliette for very short enemies. Capybara pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Baby pool/oubliette​.