Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

botany posted:

i'm actually kinda glad we had the taylor swift derail, because i knew literally none of this poo poo and naively thought she was a bland, unoffensive pop singer. i learned a lot of poo poo today. so thanks KM.

:same:

KM's posts are always appreciated, she brings a unique perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Music peaked with Electric Ladyland and everything since is just a series of beeps and boops meant to disguise the fact that we're all shuffling off this mortal coil (some quicker than others)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQV_80VKVLM

also thanks for the love guys :3: you rock! :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the Nightcore version of Taylor Swift's songs.... :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Glumslinger posted:

Unfortunately, the mayor of Corpus Christi doesn't believe that government should be able to force people to leave and never got an evacuation ordered

Even if the government didn't order an evacuation, several days of "a giant fuckoff storm is coming and you will probably literally die if you don't leave" news coverage ought to be enough.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reminder that GWB presided over 9/11, Katrina, two wars, and the worst economic collapse in 60 years and THIS was his the moment he declared the worst of his entire presidency.,

Lassitude posted:

He was departing for a vacation at Camp David when he said the "good luck" thing to the people of Texas.
Wait didn't he just come back from a 17 day vacation?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pop quiz: Kanye West interrupted Swift because he thought Single Ladies was better. What song did Swift win the award for?

No one remembers, but Single Ladies is one of the most memorable songs of this generation. Kanye was right.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that not everyone in Texas is going to be safe.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Duke Igthorn posted:

Reminder that GWB presided over 9/11, Katrina, two wars, and the worst economic collapse in 60 years and THIS was his the moment he declared the worst of his entire presidency.,

It's the weekend, so of course it's vacation time.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Opening this displayed an ad for olive garden which just perfectly illustrates my point.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

botany posted:

i'm actually kinda glad we had the taylor swift derail, because i knew literally none of this poo poo and naively thought she was a bland, unoffensive pop singer. i learned a lot of poo poo today. so thanks KM.

Yeah me too. It might be "off topic" but I enjoy this thread most when I learn something new about the world.

Also those of you bashing the 90's can all gently caress off, The Gin Blossoms were awesome.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Your Taint posted:

Even if the government didn't order an evacuation, several days of "a giant fuckoff storm is coming and you will probably literally die if you don't leave" news coverage ought to be enough.

Without evacuation orders, a lot of (perhaps even most) people assume it won't be that bad. It's not a big jump in logic to make, especially if you don't keep up with the news much. "If it was going to be a disaster, they would have ordered me to evacuate."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I like the Nightcore version of Taylor Swift's songs.... :(

I mean, it's okay to like catchy tunes if you recognize the problems of its creator. It's fine to like Buffy and still accept that Joss Whedon was an unfaithful dickbag who used both feminism and the patriarchy as excuses why he was he a cheater. When and if the artist is putting their Bad Stuff into the medium they create the art in, it's important to acknowledge that, and not to defend it just because other aspects of the thing make you like it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Taint posted:

Liberal FAKE NEWS from elitist academics.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Pop quiz: Kanye West interrupted Swift because he thought Single Ladies was better. What song did Swift win the award for?

No one remembers, but Single Ladies is one of the most memorable songs of this generation. Kanye was right.

That was back during her country pop bullshit days, which is even worse than what she puts out now.

cochise fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 25, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Haters gonna hate hate hate

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Opening this displayed an ad for olive garden which just perfectly illustrates my point.

I should've picked Kangaroo tbh

and yeah it's ok to like "problematic" things. You just need to recognize whatever's hosed up about it and not condone it.

I know that it's really hard to separate the artist from the music though.

I was jamming to Ignition the other day before I remembered how hosed up R Kelly is.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This post especially is extremely helpful. I was kind of baffled by the whole phenomenon because it sounded like Swift - already an insanely popular and wealthy woman - was just going after West hard for a slight from almost a decade ago, and made me think this whole thing was blown out of proportion. But if her whole brand is based off generating drama and then playing the victim, it makes sense that she is doing her best to stir the pot in ways that seem accidental.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

You Belong With Me?

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The one thing I presume to ask from providence is to not have to learn any bad things about jarvis cocker, which I think is very reasonable.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that Macklemore beat Kendrick Lamar for the best rap album Grammy in a move that even Macklemore couldn't believe.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Gort posted:

If there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that not everyone in Texas is going to be safe.

well sure, we got ted cruz as a senator

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

What's the Donnie version of continuing to read to school children while jet fuel weakens steel beams?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's important for us to learn about lard and who is a milkshake duck sometimes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Just a reminder that Macklemore beat Kendrick Lamar for the best rap album Grammy in a move that even Macklemore couldn't believe.

That was To Pimp A Butterfly, right? That was a loving travesty.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 25, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

seiferguy posted:

exploded mummy posted:

You Belong With Me?

Yep. that really undercut the credibility of the MTV music awards.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

The award was for best video, not song, at the vmas which are the music equivalent of the golden globes : basically a night of fellating themselves. Single Ladies won at the Grammy awards which is really the one that matters.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pakled posted:

Without evacuation orders, a lot of (perhaps even most) people assume it won't be that bad. It's not a big jump in logic to make, especially if you don't keep up with the news much. "If it was going to be a disaster, they would have ordered me to evacuate."

Yeah unfortunately for all their bluster, people tend to listen when the government says poo poo is going to be a problem.

Nothing is more government.txt than "WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN US/DO SOMETHING?!?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PhazonLink posted:

What's the Donnie version of continuing to read to school children while jet fuel weakens steel beams?

You know, I've never understood that criticism. I totally get having Secret Service whisper in your ear that a plane was flown right into one of the Twin Towers sms that protocol was probably to finish reading the book and then leave.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The award should be guillotines waiting for them off stage

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Koalas March posted:

That was To Pimp A Butterfly, right? That was a loving travesty.

good kid, m.A.A.d city.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean, if you had to choose between throwing a CD single containing the song "Power" into a wood chipper, or Taylor Swift, would it *really* be that hard a choice?

To be clear it's the uncensored version.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TGLT posted:

good kid, m.A.A.d city.

Thank you!

also lol

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/900899429242343427

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PhazonLink posted:

There's none because at his age the stream just starts and stops itself before you're done

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trump is basically a stock King villain to begin with.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

You all seem to be overlooking the fact that Taylor Swift is intensely attractive, and so I want to fart on her.

:goonsay:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WSJPolitics/status/901186751481380866

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

"We all float down here!" - Donald Trump, next week

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The award was for best video, not song, at the vmas which are the music equivalent of the golden globes : basically a night of fellating themselves. Single Ladies won at the Grammy awards which is really the one that matters.
Tbh I don't know the Taylor Swift song it was up against (or any Swift song, actually), but speaking as an Old, the Single Ladies video is really good and perhaps the only music video from that time I've watched fully, and multiple times at that.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Literally in the Dead Zone. There was a corrupt politician character that was more subdued than Trump, and he used a drat baby as a human shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

Considering that Swift won the award over Beyonce at the MTV awards and that Beyonce won the Grammy for best song this might not be the line you want to go down

• Locked thread