Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I have a butter question

I have cream that I tossed a couple tablespoons of buttermilk into. I let it sit 24 hours then ran a kitchenaid with whisk on it for 10 minutes. It's not separating into butter, although it's gotten thicker. Should I just call it a day and store it as is or is there some other way to get it to separate?

What is the fat content of the cream? If it's too low, then it won't work. You want heavy cream (~40% fat).

Also, adding buttermilk shouldn't be necessary. You should be able to literally just take heavy cream out of the fridge and whip it until it splits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have some ricotta that's been sitting in my freezer for a while - moved it to the fridge to defrost a couple days ago. I thought it was ricotta salata, but this is different. It's very brittle/crumbly but still moist and not salted AT ALL (seriously, no salt). Flavor is super delicate. Any ideas on what I could use it for (preferably vegetarian)?

Edit: Package says 33% fat. I cut a quarter inch thick slice and tossed it into a hot non-stick pan knowing it wouldn't melt but I wanted to heat it through and get some color on it. I hit it with a little bit of salt as well. It dried out quite a bit but the flavor really opens up with the salt. I'm thinking maybe throw it in a food processor with a bit of salt and herbs and use it as a topping for something baked?

angor fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 24, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A year or two, like any other whole spice.

I was thinking though, sichuan peppercorns are just the husks and not actually the whole corns. Or does it count as one since you often grind it to use in cooking?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gerblyn posted:

What is the fat content of the cream? If it's too low, then it won't work. You want heavy cream (~40% fat).

Also, adding buttermilk shouldn't be necessary. You should be able to literally just take heavy cream out of the fridge and whip it until it splits.

Adding buttermilk to heavy cream on the counter overnight makes creme fraiche. Not sure if that's how you make cultured butter too, but cultured butter is way better than sweet cream.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scientastic posted:

I always play it safe and freeze it, because stock is basically the perfect bacterial medium, and it will start growing things the moment it drops below boiling and is touched by air...

Actually, what I do is reduce it until it's like undiluted jelly cubes, allow it to cool in the fridge, cut it into cubes and then freeze it, so I can just grab a cube when I need one.

Ooh, I like this idea. IME stock takes a long time to boil down, though...I'll try that!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

Adding buttermilk to heavy cream on the counter overnight makes creme fraiche. Not sure if that's how you make cultured butter too, but cultured butter is way better than sweet cream.

I've never done it, but google says you can make cultured butter by mixing live yoghurt into your cream and letting it sit for a day before churning it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gerblyn posted:

I've never done it, but google says you can make cultured butter by mixing live yoghurt into your cream and letting it sit for a day before churning it.

Sounds similar, I wonder what happens if you churn creme fraiche?

Edit: i mean, it sounds like it didn't work above...

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
It should work, I'm fairly sure you can split creme fraiche if it has enough fat in it.

In fact, this guide says you can in fact make cultured butter doing exactly what Steve Yun did (buttermilk + cream):

http://foodinjars.com/2011/04/transforming-homemade-creme-fraiche-into-cultured-butter/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gerblyn posted:

Sounds like a great way to get flies to lay eggs in your food.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Sounds like a great way to get flies to lay eggs in your food.

I think a common thread amongst most cheese makers is the thrill of living on the razor's edge between deliciousness and rotten filth.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think you can put saran wrap over it, dude. It's getting cultures from the yogurt, it's not like it has to pick up something wild like sourdough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Leavemywife posted:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but why do my pork roasts keep coming out so dry? I'll throw it in the oven with the seasonings on it, add some water or other liquid, and then the drat thing looks good upon taking it out of the oven, but when I serve it, it's gone bone dry.

I'm not a very experienced cook, if you can't tell. But what am I doing wrong?

Lean pork like a loin, hot and fast until medium or medium rare, 400f for 25-35 ish minutes depending on size.

Something like a picnic or butt, low and slow.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes I'm making cultured butter.

When I let my cream stay out on the counter, it's in a bottle.

I used the same cream (regular) before and it separated just fine. Maybe I got lucky then?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Anne Whateley posted:

I think you can put saran wrap over it, dude. It's getting cultures from the yogurt, it's not like it has to pick up something wild like sourdough.

Little known breadmaking fact: the initial yeast load, and in fact plenty of yeast to sustain a sourdough starter, is already living on the flour that you buy or mill. Researchers and really obsessive bakers have sterilized flour and attempted to culture wild yeast in their starter, and those starters invariably fail because there's actually very little yeast living in the air (unless you make a lot of bread, like commercial bakeries).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yes I'm making cultured butter.

When I let my cream stay out on the counter, it's in a bottle.

I used the same cream (regular) before and it separated just fine. Maybe I got lucky then?

Did you try just letting the mixer keep going? Maybe it was being stubborn because it was too fresh or something. Plus they sometimes put stabilizers in whipping cream I think.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'll try it again tonight.

I guess I'll also get the heavy cream next time. Thanks guys!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Can you microwave milk to make it hot?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can you microwave milk to make it hot?

Yes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it normal for your knuckles to get really hot after cooking? or am I doing something weird

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Are you keeping them out of the fire/grease?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Uh, yes. It's not like I'm putting my hands in the fire, I think.

Maybe I made it too hot and my little hands can't handle the heat?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Fingers are good conductors of heat, and knuckles are the natural heat sinks of the hands.

You're fine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Fingers are good conductors of heat, and knuckles are the natural heat sinks of the hands.

You're fine.

Don't listen to Trump, he has tiny little hands and never cooks.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I got several pounds of country style pork ribs on sale yesterday. I have access to one of those electric pressure cookers. Anyone got a good recipe?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Country-style ribs aren't actually ribs, they're more like pork chops. Consider a fast high-heat method like grilling instead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wormil posted:

Lean pork like a loin, hot and fast until medium or medium rare, 400f for 25-35 ish minutes depending on size.

Not too hot or you'll get the outer part all gray before the inside is cooked

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Anne Whateley posted:

Country-style ribs aren't actually ribs, they're more like pork chops. Consider a fast high-heat method like grilling instead.

Hmm, no grill here or i would. What about an oven roasted recipe?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You can also mix everything, including the yeast, into a dough ball and then freeze it. It'll rise as you defrost it, and most of the kneading will be done already. I'd thaw it in the fridge. It'll hold for about a month, maybe longer, but make sure to seal it well. This doesn't work out super well.
The best way to preserve bread, IMO, is to parbake it. Put it in the oven and bake as normal, but take it out early. You want to let it fully form, but the crust should still be pale - this usually works out to taking it out about 10 minutes early. When you want fresh bread, stick that frozen loaf back in the oven and bake it until it has a nice dark crust, then you're done. The crust ends up a little thinner than normal and more crispy than crunchy. Some people actually prefer that texture.

Liquid Communism posted:

You sound like a perfect candidate for fridge bread. Recipe makes a loose dough good for about four loaves, keeps in the fridge just fine baking every day or every other day. Flavor gets better after a couple-three days in the fridge too.

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to this so I'm gonna clear out the freezer this weekend. I'll report once I've done it properly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

What's this? I've always found country-style ribs to be full of lots of connective tissue and fat, that require low and slow cooking to render the fat and turn the connective tissue into gelatin. Kind of like a chuck roast, but pork. I feel like cooking them as if they were a pork chop will lead to sad results.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any particular rhyme or reason to marinades? I've got some leftover steak tips I want to cut up and marinate, and I was thinking of combining cumin, turmeric, garam masala, generic curry powder, coconut milk and lime to marinate the steak tips in. Would that accomplish anything?

The Midniter posted:

What's this? I've always found country-style ribs to be full of lots of connective tissue and fat, that require low and slow cooking to render the fat and turn the connective tissue into gelatin. Kind of like a chuck roast, but pork. I feel like cooking them as if they were a pork chop will lead to sad results.

Really? I've slow cooked country-style ribs before and they were dry, chalky, and tasteless. Very little marbling/melty fat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're cut from pork shoulders so typically you'd want a slow and low cook

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ive never had a cooking attempt with them turn out well, so I just wanted some advice on how to proceed here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captainsalami posted:

Ive never had a cooking attempt with them turn out well, so I just wanted some advice on how to proceed here.

Me neither. I kinda wonder how you're supposed to cook them, cause the low and slow approach has never worked in my experience.

We're talking about these, right?

I usually see packs of ribs like the left two or three sections, rather than the more marbled-looking sections on the right.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Country-style ribs aren't from the shoulder, they're from the loin. https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/

They do sometimes have more dark meat like you see on the bottom of that pic, but that's just like the cap you see on rib chops.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bob Morales posted:

Not too hot or you'll get the outer part all gray before the inside is cooked

The f in 400f is for Fahrenheit, not celsius. But still I'm not sure how you'd get gray.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Country-style ribs aren't from the shoulder, they're from the loin. https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/

They do sometimes have more dark meat like you see on the bottom of that pic, but that's just like the cap you see on rib chops.

well poo poo, i'm completely wrong deeeerppp

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Where can I get a curry leaf plant/seeds to grow a curry leaf plant. Amazon seems pretty sketchy and I know nothing about the other sources that come up on google. Anyone have a go-to place for curious live-specimen herbs?

So I took it upon myself to answer my own question: I can get curry leaves at the local Indian food store. The nice man has little bags of them in the cooler in back. No it's not a live plant, but it is a source for the leaves. I *did* find a V shaped stem that looks like it has roots on it, so I'm soaking I put it in some water. We'll see what happens!

Never having had fresh curry leaves before, these smell very lovely and will taste great in the Chickpea Sundal I'm going to make later.

NEW QUESTION!!

Whats a cheap and quick way to get something like a polenta or panisse into a cylindrical form?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Pork country-style ribs are also labeled correctly like 30% of the time they are an ok cut of meat but I don't buy them even when they are on sale (they are always on sale)

Tons of meat especially in major grocery stores isn't labeled correctly.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

NEW QUESTION!!

Whats a cheap and quick way to get something like a polenta or panisse into a cylindrical form?

Polenta: Depends on the size of the cylinder. For one dish in a kitchen I worked in, we would cook up the polenta with butter and parm iirc, and then cool it in a tray. Once it was cool and basically a solid mass, we would use a ring cutter to get little cylinders, and then fry them. If you want little tater barrel looking guys, that's one way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Invisible Ted posted:

Polenta: Depends on the size of the cylinder. For one dish in a kitchen I worked in, we would cook up the polenta with butter and parm iirc, and then cool it in a tray. Once it was cool and basically a solid mass, we would use a ring cutter to get little cylinders, and then fry them. If you want little tater barrel looking guys, that's one way.

Yeah, that would work. I would like a tube shape though, about the circumference of a juice glass, so I could just slice and go and then store the rest.