Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I hear people rave about electric bicycles. I'm not a bicyclist so I dunno. I've been quite impressed by what vaporware electric scooters/motorcycles have been over the last 10 years. BMW was supposed to make one, KTM was supposed to make one, several companies making motorcycles have launched and gone under. Is Zero the only one still going? You'd think that stuff would sell. Electric cars are on the rise in a big way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Some places (like NYC) have laws saying you can't sell an electric bike that works on throttle only, it has to be pedal-assist only.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
FINALLY got the scooter to spark. For whatever reason the coil pack, condenser and spark plug cable all needed replacing. I'm still flabbergasted there was a fuse in the spark plug boot in the OEM cable. Now I get to re-do all the wiring!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is a bit odd for the topic, but I do market research on the side for beer money. You basically try to qualify for focus groups and such, then spend an hour or two in a conference room or online bulletin board/forum answering questions about your preferences in products. Focus Forward, one of the agencies I've done many studies for over the years, is recruiting for a study on "hobbies" but the questions seem geared towards scooters. They ask you questions in order to see if you qualify, I told them that I'd recently gotten my 50cc Buddy and previously had an 80cc Elite. As long as it's gas-powered and a scooter or motorcycle, and as long as I seemed open to buying a new one and to buying one from several brands as long as they offered a competing scooter, they seem like they'll take you.

In this case it's five days of an online board, around 45-50 minutes per day, and you get $275 in a check a few weeks later.

I get nothing for referrals, but their checks have always come on time and cleared the bank, so I figure they've done right by me and I should do them the same. If you want to try for it, call at 267-460-5465 and reference study number 17-492.

They take privacy and such very seriously, and they aren't out to sell you anything. Have a look at their privacy policy if you're concerned, and they're usually happy to answer questions or concerns: http://panel.focusfwdonline.com/About/Privacy-Policy.aspx

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Anyone have any experience with the Kymco Like 200i? It's apparently a 163cc, which makes little to no sense given the name, but naming conventions pbbbbht I guess.

Friend who can no longer ride due to medical issues is selling theirs, and offered it to me for $500. 2013 or 2014 model, about 1400 miles on it. I can guarantee it's been well maintained aside from probably having sat for a year or so. I'm currently tooling around on a Sym Cali Classic 50cc, and I'd really like something a little beefier for riding cross-town on. Reviews I've found seem to indicate that it's a pretty solid little bike, and a bit less janky than the random Chinese knock-off stuff that pops up. Nothing similar on CL near me.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I don't have any personal experience with them but I know plenty of people who have all been happy with their Kymcos. They are leagues ahead of Chinese bikes - Kymco, like Sym, was a Honda contractor for ages. $500 is a very good deal. I'd do it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I can't tell you anything about the model you're looking to buy, but I can say that before I upgraded to my current 300cc scooter, I was also putzing around on a 50cc Cali Classic. You'll be really happy making the jump to 150cc+, and being able to do so for $500 is a steal.

bobbert
Dec 8, 2002
Fish N Scooters
Fun Shoe

ExplodingChef posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Kymco Like 200i? It's apparently a 163cc, which makes little to no sense given the name, but naming conventions pbbbbht I guess.

Friend who can no longer ride due to medical issues is selling theirs, and offered it to me for $500. 2013 or 2014 model, about 1400 miles on it. I can guarantee it's been well maintained aside from probably having sat for a year or so. I'm currently tooling around on a Sym Cali Classic 50cc, and I'd really like something a little beefier for riding cross-town on. Reviews I've found seem to indicate that it's a pretty solid little bike, and a bit less janky than the random Chinese knock-off stuff that pops up. Nothing similar on CL near me.

I have quite a bit of experience with Kymco I most recently had the Super 8 150cc and put about 5k on it. In general they make decent quality stuff not as good as the major Japanese manufacturers premium scooters. The 200i is fuel injected and my major complaint with my Kymco was the autochoke on the carb, it was a poo poo system. It looks like the cali classic is a 4 stroke 50cc, a 150cc is going to be so much more useful in almost every situation.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

ExplodingChef posted:

Here's a review of an older scoot that Kymco made, well, more of a torture test of one: http://mnmotorcycle.com/august-2004-24-hours-of-the-kymco-or-we-how-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-scooter/

They make great scoots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Congrats to the Kymco in that article, but why didn't they just do the Ironbutt 1000? When I did mine, they sent me a list of the previous 10 people or so who were approved for certification and there was at least one Ninja 250 in there.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Congrats to the Kymco in that article, but why didn't they just do the Ironbutt 1000? When I did mine, they sent me a list of the previous 10 people or so who were approved for certification and there was at least one Ninja 250 in there.

So they could hand the bike over to other riders? It wasn't ridden 1000 km by one person, maybe no one wanted to do it all by themselves. I'm not sure what the range is on one of those, but it probably is less than a Ninja 250.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I hear people rave about electric bicycles. I'm not a bicyclist so I dunno. I've been quite impressed by what vaporware electric scooters/motorcycles have been over the last 10 years. BMW was supposed to make one, KTM was supposed to make one, several companies making motorcycles have launched and gone under. Is Zero the only one still going? You'd think that stuff would sell. Electric cars are on the rise in a big way.

There's Alta and Lightning making two machines much more hardcore than Zero's offerings. I have a Zero FXS and it's honestly the best commuting machine I've ever owned. I don't give a gently caress about traffic or temperature on it, which is exactly the opposite of my experience with the Ducati. It's just twist-and-go and has fun-as-hell acceleration from about 15-40mph (they limit its output under 15mph due to "liability reasons", guess someone whisky throttled themselves to kingdom-come sometime years ago). I honestly have suggested Zero's offerings to scooter owners looking for something more "motorcycle-like" if they're always sitting in traffic in Atlanta. It's all the simple, fun appeal of a scoot with the ability to jump a curb and not cause your front wheel to eat copious amounts of poo poo.

My girlfriend is waiting for the first highway-capable electric scooter to come out, as she wants a scoot but loves how "quiet" the Zero is and would prefer to wait out the tech over getting something she isn't crazy about now. :shrug: I'm honestly shocked that more electric scoots aren't coming out regularly, being that they can get by with smaller batteries while offering shorter charge times from standard sockets.

As for my Zero. the three gripes I have about it are that 1) battery technology still sucks compared to ICE for highway riding and you can literally watch the SOC indicator drop if you're cruising at 75mph, 2) for the supermoto model they put that thick torque restriction from 0-15mph so wheelies are a delicate act of bouncing the front end and hitting the throttle earlier than you would a gas dirt bike, and 3) the price of lithium ion batteries is still "ha ha gently caress you pal" expensive and despite the excitement the Zero generates when people walk by, as soon as you mention the price they say some permutation of "oh well that's nice" and walk off.

Also electric bicycles are awesome as gently caress for conquering hills when you want to poopy-pedal all day and not break a sweat. Still not sold on it being better than a scooter for getting around a town quickly, though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingChef posted:

If you don't buy it let me know, because if shipping doesn't suck I would be somewhat interested.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Ok, this Like is ridiculous fun. Not that I don't love my 50cc, but going to something with more oomph is so much nicer. It's also about 60lbs lighter than my Lance, so that's taking some getting used to.

Question: the Like has a 12v port in the glove compartment. How much juice can I realistically pull from that without blowing a fuse? I assume I can use it to charge my phone via a USB-C adapter, but would it handle something like a Bluetooth speaker so I could have some tunes while I cruise around?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Speakers like that don't draw a ton of power. Now if you wanted to power some sort of crazy light bar with that socket...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is the Honda Reflex a decent scooter? I read about the 25-40 mph dead spot and I'm confident I could replace the variator rollers. There's 2005 models at equal or lower price to 87 helixes & elites on my local cl, I'm wondering if those will inexplicably appreciate anytime soon.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
how fun deadly is this?

https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-helix-scooter-with/6317116627.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

red19fire posted:

Is the Honda Reflex a decent scooter? I read about the 25-40 mph dead spot and I'm confident I could replace the variator rollers. There's 2005 models at equal or lower price to 87 helixes & elites on my local cl, I'm wondering if those will inexplicably appreciate anytime soon.

I used to have one and it was a great scooter. The dead spot really isn't that bad either.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

red19fire posted:

They're good bikes. The flat spot isn't terrible if my elite is anything to go by. It's more you can feel it when the rollers start moving on to the more steeply ramped part of the variator ramp. It's not bad.

Get some Dr Pulley variator sliders and call it a day.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

red19fire posted:

They're a bit long and big for a scooter if you ask me. Makes parking and maneuvering a bit more of a hassle. But otherwise great bikes.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

red19fire posted:

I've had one for a few years and love it. I max out around 75mph and has some guts to it so I'm able to take nice rides on scenic curvy roads, and also commute to work easily, go around town nimbly, get about 65mpg...it's bigger than some other scooters but not hard to maneuver at all, in my experience.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1985-honda-elite-ch-150/6330399494.html

Assuming this is still here in the morning, I'm gonna find a way to get this home...as all I have is a goddamn Ford Fiesta hatch. It'll fit back there, right? :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Assuming the title is in order, it's your duty as a human being to snap up a $175 elite when life gives you the oppurtinity.

Alternatively, call and see if he will take 100 CASH and record it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy that scooter post haste

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
I own two Elites and would take on a third for that price, even with non-working popup light or cracked headpiece.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Buddy 50 had some issues over the last few weeks and it was interesting to actually work on it. The starter cranked but the engine never turned over.

After attempting to normally electric and kick start it a few times, I went to try and remove the spark plug with the included spark plug socket wrench that came with the bike, but I didn't get it to budge. After putting on the spark plug boot again, bada bing - it started and ran just fine. Did that for a week before the original issue happened again.

I ended up finally getting the drat plug out with a proper socket and some leverage with the storage loop of a crescent wrench, learning how to ground it and look for a shock, and taking off the air cover to squirt in some carb cleaner, which got her going again.

It's a hell of a lot less intimidating than my previous Elite 80, which I simply couldn't find any noob-friendly explanation for basic engine disassembly. Kinda refreshing. I might have to go find a dead GY6 to learn how to take it apart and understand what's what.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Anyone know much about the little Vespa 50s?

I can't find a lot of information (maybe I'm just being stupid) online, and I haven't been to the dealership yet because they're far away.

My family sort of collectively owns a nice little house in Narragansett and they very kindly permit me to use it to host friends for a couple weeks in the summer. I can't stand driving my bellowing, ancient and crumbling Mazdaspeed6 around that town, and I wanted to have a more carefree option.

Nobody but me has an M endorsement, so that limits everyone to 50cc. I'm a little disappointed the two-stroke engine isn't available in the USA, mostly because I prefer the maintenance situation of a 2T, but also because I've been under the impression that 4T 50s are almost helplessly gutless. I see in the photos on their kinda terrible website that the 50cc Vespas still have the "passenger pegs" at the back of the floorboards, so I'm hoping the 50s can carry two.

I was thinking of getting a pair, something like a Primavera 50 and a Sprint 150, but if I could get away with two 50s and save a little bit I wouldn't mind. The intended use is so light and so low-key that I'm not really worried about them being slow or anything; I just want to find out if they're incapable, or if it's specifically warned against in the manual.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Frosty- posted:

I can't find a lot of information (maybe I'm just being stupid) online, and I haven't been to the dealership yet because they're far away.

My family sort of collectively owns a nice little house in Narragansett and they very kindly permit me to use it to host friends for a couple weeks in the summer. I can't stand driving my bellowing, ancient and crumbling Mazdaspeed6 around that town, and I wanted to have a more carefree option.

Nobody but me has an M endorsement, so that limits everyone to 50cc. I'm a little disappointed the two-stroke engine isn't available in the USA, mostly because I prefer the maintenance situation of a 2T, but also because I've been under the impression that 4T 50s are almost helplessly gutless. I see in the photos on their kinda terrible website that the 50cc Vespas still have the "passenger pegs" at the back of the floorboards, so I'm hoping the 50s can carry two.

I was thinking of getting a pair, something like a Primavera 50 and a Sprint 150, but if I could get away with two 50s and save a little bit I wouldn't mind. The intended use is so light and so low-key that I'm not really worried about them being slow or anything; I just want to find out if they're incapable, or if it's specifically warned against in the manual.

Never ridden a new Vespa 50, but I currently have a Sprint 150 and had a 50cc (4T) honda metropolitan before that.

The met was impossibly slow for me, and the Vespa 50 weighs a good 80 points more than the met. The Sprint 150 hauls rear end, the 50 and 150 are basically the same weight. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating unless your area is completely flat, especially with 2 people on it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MJP posted:

It's a hell of a lot less intimidating than my previous Elite 80,
Those things are just a horrible design. Very difficult to work on.

Frosty- posted:

The 2t ones aren't bad, I think most of the 4t ones are pretty low on power like a Metro would be. I did recently ride an S50 though which was amazingly fast, considering it was a 4t. Not sure if they used that motor in any of their other 50s.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My Buddy 50, after sitting idle for maybe a week and a half, once again experienced the issue where it wouldn't turn over. Again, squirting starter fluid into the air intake got her up and running again.

I have some Sea Foam on the way and I'm really hoping that plus a fresh tank of gas will help fix this. I'm not happy about this reliability problem. Is it just a Sea Foam-fixable issue? Or should I be looking at something else? I'm not sure I want to hang onto this thing past next season if I gotta take off a cover and do a squirt start every idle week.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

n.. posted:

The Sprint 150 hauls rear end, the 50 and 150 are basically the same weight. I imagine it would be pretty frustrating unless your area is completely flat, especially with 2 people on it.
I would definitely just go for the 150 if I was just getting a personal bike. The 50's appeal is pretty much solely that anyone with a driver's license is clear to pilot the little things without having to get the M endorsement.

The 2t ones aren't bad, I think most of the 4t ones are pretty low on power like a Metro would be. I did recently ride an S50 though which was amazingly fast, considering it was a 4t. Not sure if they used that motor in any of their other 50s.
I wish we could just order the two-strokes here; that would make the decision easier, since I have reasonable confidence that a 2T 50 could do the job without undue struggle.

I'm pretty sure the 4v engine is the sole 4T 50 now, so maybe they're not super bad. I should call the dealership people and ask if I can book a test ride but I just know they'll tell me no. I've never been allowed to test a bike anywhere, so I guess I'm lucky I even like the bikes I have, but it's trained me to expect that I'll never get to do it.

For what it's worth, the area in Narragansett where I see these being used is pretty low-key, low-velocity, relaxed and definitely fairly flat land. If the things can make 30 under these conditions, they'd probably suit everyone just fine. I think the most intense job they'll ever do is scooting down to the ferry to go to Block Island, where the primary form of transportation seems to be bicycles, and since a four-stroke 50 is still like 20 times more powerful than your average dope on a bike I assume it has enough headroom to carry an extra person around in the same environment.

The alternative is just to skip the 50s altogether and try to talk some of the people who stay at the house to take the MSF and get properly licensed so we can have sporty 150s.

I'm trying to combine my desire to keep buying more and different kinds of bikes with doing a nice thing for the family and my friends who stay there, and even though I thought the MSF was just a great time and very enjoyable, I just know they'll all see it as a burden that sucks all the enjoyment out of the idea. I guess I'll call the dealer today and find out if I can get a personal sense of the 50s' power, or if they're jerks like all the other dealerships.

[Edit] I just got back from test-riding a Primavera 50. The dealership in New Haven is actually really cool, and they're infinitely more personable than the guys I'm used to dealing with. The little 50 is actually pretty quick, as far as I'm concerned. You have to twist that grip all the way but it'll get to 20 immediately, and 30 shows up pretty quickly. Traffic around where I'm envisioning these being used is pretty sedate, so I'm thinking they really are entirely appropriate for pootling around Narragansett and Block Island.

Now to psych up for buying a couple.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 27, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My fiance had an 06 vespa 50. Fun little scoot but weak as poo poo. It never felt different than any other 50cc scooter I've ridden. Very slow to catch on the throttle roll and instantly loses power on any incline. Still useful for when we lived in Seattle though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had this Yamaha C3 50cc fuel injected water cooled scoot (the one with the 9 gallon cooler as a seat). The previous owner put a TITANIUM exhaust and a Dr whatever clutch and sliding weights and heavy duty belt and all of this other poo poo. I bet he reprogrammed it, too.

It hauled my (at the time) 260 lb rear end around up to 45mph very, VERY quickly from a dead stop. You could crank on it and it would just go, solidly up to 41-45, with no delay. Hitting the speed limit was like a brick wall, but up until then it was fun as poo poo. Favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

However, I bet it was super stressful on the engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr pulley sliders should be mandatory for all scooters. I have them in my elite 250 and they work great. They solve the (admittedly few) problems with the stock rollers.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So, I got a thing. Lady advertised a free scooter, on Nextdoor: I didn't ask questions, just hauled rear end over and threw it in the back of the wagon.

LIN HAI POWERMAX 50 !!

I don't have the title... yet. It's pretty messed up as far as I can tell. Someone tried to steal it, and bent the bracket holding the ignition to the point it is stuck behind the body work. I started stripping bodywork off, ignition switch is still good, blinkers still work. Battery is literally a brick. Shows open, will not draw current on a charger.
Plug was seriously oil fouled. There is a solid state looking blue anodized heatsink thing in the battery tray (floorboard), what could that be?
She said it ran when parked, but I found a vine that grew up inside the bodywork... when parked could have been a long time ago.
More to come when my knees feel better.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

some_admin posted:

There is a solid state looking blue anodized heatsink thing in the battery tray (floorboard), what could that be?

Regulator/rectifier?

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I've never ridden a scooter, but I feel them calling to me. Whatever I get has to be beefier than a 49 or 50 because I live on top of a hill. I like the look and affordability of Elites. Are either of these worth jumping on before I've taken a class/gotten my license?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/1987-honda-ch80-elite/6392660301.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/1986-honda-ch80-elite-scooter/6399195677.html

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
I found my Elite 125 with the pop up light for $700. I think you can do better.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rubber Slug posted:

I've never ridden a scooter, but I feel them calling to me. Whatever I get has to be beefier than a 49 or 50 because I live on top of a hill. I like the look and affordability of Elites. Are either of these worth jumping on before I've taken a class/gotten my license?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/1986-honda-ch80-elite-scooter/6399195677.html

This isn’t advice related to these scooters, so take it for what it’s worth. You should resign yourself to not getting much of a deal and a higher probability of getting a lemon (unless you bribe z3n or someone else with experience to look with you) because the desire to get your first bike is an overwhelming wave that washes away your reason and leaves you a slobbering wreck, urgently forcing money into someone’s hands.

Remember two things:

1. There will always be another. Like, a lot of another’s actually.
2. It’s your first bike and you will probably end up buying another within the next 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Rubber Slug posted:

Neither of those are exciting deals worth jumping on. In fact, don't get a CH80. They aren't substantially more powerful than a good 2-stroke 50. If you're already planning on going through the class and licensing process just go to a 125/150.

Scooters are awesome and you are making a good life choice by getting one. Just not an 80.