Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This one is intentionally going to end with more cliffhangers than season 2 did.

-Does the last thing Dougie says mean that he's Cooper again?
-What happens to the Sheriff's department after it turns out Frank Truman is Harry's doppelganger, not his brother?
-What did Tina say?
-What was on James' setlist for the roadhouse that caused Trent Reznor to self immolate?
-Will Dr. Jacoby and Nadine be able to shovel themselves out of the poo poo with an unpainted shovel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Soup du Journey posted:

s02 was trash unfortunately

Twin Peaks season 2 is really good, except for everything with Andy and Tremaine and Lil Nicky. Those parts transcend such binary distinctions as good/not good and are seminal moments in 90s tv

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

vivisectvnv posted:

lol just lol if you want anything resolved and not treat this like a prolonged fevered dream

Yep yep. One of the best parts of the original show+movie is how much poo poo was left unanswered and to speculate on. Here's hoping we get another 25 years of mental chewing gum.

Alternately, I'd be down with a sarcastically happy ending a la Wild at Heart where all the good guys come back to life and all the bad people die and everyone gets married and

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
well i tried to re-watch it in anticipation of s03 and i honestly dont know how i managed it the first time around. in the end i settled for the lynch-directed episodes and a 30-min season recap by some youtuber, followed by idle masturbation, as is my habit.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

there is nothing in season 2 near as bad as s3 audrey scenes

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The thing about s3 is that even at its worst it's directed by a genius at the top of his game, so it's going to be visually interesting, well-lit, good sound, etc. S2 has some parts that are boring poo poo shot poorly and underscored by recycled Badalamenti tracks from s1. Like I'm pretty sure when they find out about little Nicky's tragic past they actually put Laura's theme under it and wtf guys.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tolkien minority posted:

oh what because shes a mean girl?? #teamaudrey #infidelityisbeautiful

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Tolkien minority posted:

a very bad opinion, the audrey scenes are fantastic

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Tolkien minority posted:

Incorrect.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

the Audrey scenes are the most David Lynch scenes in the show

and thus really good

feller
Jul 5, 2006

vivisectvnv posted:

a very bad opinion, the audrey scenes are fantastic

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like how in 15 hours no characters have had any development and about 3 actual events have taken place. It takes a genius to make boring entertaining, and Lynch does that for me.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like how in 15 hours no characters have had any development and about 3 actual events have taken place. It takes a genius to make boring entertaining, and Lynch does that for me.

actually a character went from dougie jones to mister jackpots to electrocuted

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Soup du Journey posted:

now you've done it. you signed your own post...

A new take on an old classic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I did laugh at the tease when the cops at the Las Vegas PD get a notice about a missing FBI agent and then throw the folder out without even looking at it. David Lynch knows exactly what he's doing, and knows that everybody's watching S3 hoping Cooper comes back to his senses and then keeps blueballing us with weird Dougie Jones poo poo.

I wonder if he regrets coming up with such an endearing character that he can't do anything Twin Peaks related without everybody wanting to see nothing but Dale Cooper being quirky. On the other hand, I guess we're technically still getting that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dougie Jones is the best possible thing they could have done with Coop. If he was immediately just himself again after spending 25 years in the backwards talking waiting room of a literal hell dimension that would have been awful. When he does come to he's not going to be the same Coop that went in there. The most endearing thing about Coop, though, was his childlike wonder and sense of whimsy. He was a guy who was a sharp as gently caress detective who also freaked out like a little kid at douglas fir trees and good pie. Dougie Jones isn't just Cooper acting like a retard, he's Cooper without any of the weight of the horrible poo poo that's happened on him. He's 100% unfiltered childlike awe and whimsy. By showing that's still in him it's going to soften the blow somewhat when Cooper comes back for real and is a laser focused revenge machine out to loving murder the poo poo out of his doppleganger.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

the show was described as "Cooper's odyssey back to Twin Peaks" it's pretty self explanatory

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Dougie Jones is the best possible thing they could have done with Coop. If he was immediately just himself again after spending 25 years in the backwards talking waiting room of a literal hell dimension that would have been awful. When he does come to he's not going to be the same Coop that went in there. The most endearing thing about Coop, though, was his childlike wonder and sense of whimsy. He was a guy who was a sharp as gently caress detective who also freaked out like a little kid at douglas fir trees and good pie. Dougie Jones isn't just Cooper acting like a retard, he's Cooper without any of the weight of the horrible poo poo that's happened on him. He's 100% unfiltered childlike awe and whimsy. By showing that's still in him it's going to soften the blow somewhat when Cooper comes back for real and is a laser focused revenge machine out to loving murder the poo poo out of his doppleganger.

Yeah I get that much, it's just that it's taking almost 18 hours of television for him to go from "completely inarticulate and confused" to "slightly more articulate and confused".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best way I can describe season 3 of Twin Peaks is "a show that I look forward to seeing every Sunday and to never have to watch it again."

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I get that much, it's just that it's taking almost 18 hours of television for him to go from "completely inarticulate and confused" to "slightly more articulate and confused".

Remind me, how long does it take for someone to recover from 25 years in the red room irl

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Remind me, how long does it take for someone to recover from 25 years in the red room irl

Should be measured in coffee and pie, not time.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Maya Fey posted:

actually a character went from dougie jones to mister jackpots to electrocuted

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hope he doesn't come back as a laser focused revenge machine. I hope he comes back as a deeply, deeply depressed man who shuts down evil Cooper, but only out of a sense of duty, and not with any emotion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

I hope he doesn't come back as a laser focused revenge machine. I hope he comes back as a deeply, deeply depressed man who shuts down evil Cooper, but only out of a sense of duty, and not with any emotion.

I feel like neither may end up being exactly right at this point. My dream at this point is that his time as Dougie has allowed him to reclaim some of his former self, and when he gets out he'll be a bit closer to the Coop we remember because that experience has proven to him good does still exist, and that the best way to fight darkness is with light. As Dougie he's saved a homeless woman's life, foiled several assassination attempts, not only ended a Mafia connected insurance scam but redeemed one of the key figures in it, and turned around the lives of Janey and Sonny Jim.

The thing I dread though is going to be him having to explain to Janey that her actual husband is gone and kind of never existed to begin with.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Soup du Journey posted:

well i tried to re-watch it in anticipation of s03 and i honestly dont know how i managed it the first time around. in the end i settled for the lynch-directed episodes and a 30-min season recap by some youtuber, followed by idle masturbation, as is my habit.

Same except I just don't watch the Lynch episodes or Youtube recaps.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Yep, cooper's return was just as simultaneously nostalgic, heartwarming, satisfying and completely boring as I expected. Also, I have no loving clue what's up with Audrey (or the roadhouse generally) at this point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yep, cooper's return was just as simultaneously nostalgic, heartwarming, satisfying and completely boring as I expected. Also, I have no loving clue what's up with Audrey (or the roadhouse generally) at this point.

You people can bitch about anything.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

You people can bitch about anything.

That's not bitching, numballs, it's called mixed emotions The Rolling Stones wrote a song about it sheesh

I just realized that the MC refers to that song as "Audrey's dance." Like, as in he refers to it by its title on the original soundtrack album. :wtc:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Was a great episode. Season is great too imo

That is my hard hitting analysis of the show FYI

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
My money is on Dougiecoop being electrozapped back to the black lodge, temporarily, for just long enough to ingest / aborb/ do something to the little gold ball that OG Dougie shrunk into and absord whatever missing element of coop-ness was there.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Coopers back.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That's not bitching, numballs, it's called mixed emotions The Rolling Stones wrote a song about it sheesh

I just realized that the MC refers to that song as "Audrey's dance." Like, as in he refers to it by its title on the original soundtrack album. :wtc:

I thought it was pretty obvious that Audrey is in an institution and she's been having delusions. None of the poo poo with her husband was real, that's why the announcer introduced the song as "Audrey's Dance" and everybody stepped aside while she danced. She snaps out of it screaming in an all-white room.

This poo poo isn't rocket science.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
SPOILERS ON EPISODE 16

So I guess the real Diane got killed by BadCoop the night he visited her and replaced her with a fake of her to be used as a spy?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Odddzy posted:

SPOILERS ON EPISODE 16

So I guess the real Diane got killed by BadCoop the night he visited her and replaced her with a fake of her to be used as a spy?

She said she's at the Sheriff's station. That's where the real one is.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that Audrey is in an institution and she's been having delusions. None of the poo poo with her husband was real, that's why the announcer introduced the song as "Audrey's Dance" and everybody stepped aside while she danced. She snaps out of it screaming in an all-white room.

This poo poo isn't rocket science.

See that's what I thought at first but there's a few weird things about that. First, what kind of institution has IKEA bathroom mirrors in an all white space like that? Second, if the roadhouse in that scene wasn't real, have any of the scenes in the roadhouse been real? If so, which? Third, twin peaks has always had a certain level of unreality but referring to a song by its title on the soundtrack album really is next-level. Like Audrey played that song on a jukebox in S1, if it's all in her head she should know the name of the song, not just call it "Audrey's dance."

I don't usually nitpick at this level but TP is usually airtight on the details. Cooper even refers to Kiefer Sutherland's character by name in the original pilot, waaaay before FWWM was written. Calling it "Audrey's dance" and explicitly alluding to the soundtrack album isn't likely to be an accident.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

General Dog posted:

She said she's at the Sheriff's station. That's where the real one is.

No, she said that at the sheriff's station she gave evil Coop the coordinates.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

See that's what I thought at first but there's a few weird things about that. First, what kind of institution has IKEA bathroom mirrors in an all white space like that? Second, if the roadhouse in that scene wasn't real, have any of the scenes in the roadhouse been real? If so, which? Third, twin peaks has always had a certain level of unreality but referring to a song by its title on the soundtrack album really is next-level. Like Audrey played that song on a jukebox in S1, if it's all in her head she should know the name of the song, not just call it "Audrey's dance."

I don't usually nitpick at this level but TP is usually airtight on the details. Cooper even refers to Kiefer Sutherland's character by name in the original pilot, waaaay before FWWM was written. Calling it "Audrey's dance" and explicitly alluding to the soundtrack album isn't likely to be an accident.

Even the original scene with Audrey's dance, in the diner, seemed very fourth wall breaking.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I loving KNEW Diane was made up!!!! I told people!!! I warned then about Diane!!! And they were all like "noo what are you talking about, coops been chatting her up since the original run..." WELL!!!! You're not so smart now are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Soup du Journey posted:

I loving KNEW Diane was made up!!!! I told people!!! I warned then about Diane!!! And they were all like "noo what are you talking about, coops been chatting her up since the original run..." WELL!!!! You're not so smart now are you

Post a link to you calling it. Not that I don't believe you; bravo and I want to see your victory lap.

• Locked thread