Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

hyphz posted:

See, you're right it's not unreasonable, but at the same time it shows the problem. If you want a completely balanced challenge, flip a coin. What's the gain in making it "spend hours poring over the books to get the right combinations of powers, just to have the same result as flipping a coin would have had?"

This isn't even close to what a balanced gaming experience means in, like, any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is actually a new D&D game in development!

it's an idle clicker game
I literally cannot believe that Bruenor Battlehammer's first* game appearance is in this environment of all things. Though honestly I bet that game will do well, which is...nice for someone, somewhere?

*probably not but I certainly never played whatever game he was in if he was in something before

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
He was in one of the Baldurs Gate games.

You can kill him and take his stuff iirc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Der Waffle Mous posted:

He was in one of the Baldurs Gate games.

You can kill him and take his stuff iirc.
I have played through all of them twice (and am playing through the enhanced editions RIGHT NOW) and I somehow forgot this. That must be the second time you encounter Drizzt.

This concludes the important discussion of Bruenor Battlehammer in the year 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

hyphz posted:

See, you're right it's not unreasonable, but at the same time it shows the problem. If you want a completely balanced challenge, flip a coin. What's the gain in making it "spend hours poring over the books to get the right combinations of powers, just to have the same result as flipping a coin would have had?"

This is literally the most commonly reused bullshit refrain on why we shouldn't bother ever balancing anything and minmaxxing is good (until the wizard isn't the most powerful, then it's all broken and has to be changed). It's entirely incorrect in every way.

Balance is not a 50/50 chance of success on everything, it's that all choices are equally viable. Shooting someone with a gun and shooting them with a laser gun, if held up as being equally viable options, should, in fact, be equally viable options. Choosing to play as a no multiclass 1-20 Fighter, and choosing to play as a no multiclass 1-20 wizard, and choosing to play as some kind of mix between them, if all three are presented as equal choices, should mean all three are equally viable and all three can effect the game to (roughly) the same degree. It means, to be frank, the actual opposite.

The whole loving point is to remove the idea that you have to spend hours pouring over the books to get just the right combinations of powers. That's not gameplay. That's homework. Events should be decided because of what happen in the game - not because of metagame decisions made before the game even started.

hyphz posted:

Yes and no. First of all, the discovery changes the nature of the known game - if the players now feel they all have to play in a particular way, that reduces the experience. You could reasonably argue that the game was always broken which is fair enough, but the players won't feel that way if they've been enjoying the game for the last few months unaware of the holes.

The other problem is that there seems to be a real jekyll-and-hyde in the mindset of many, if not all, RPG players over the experience they want. There's at least some extent to which an RPG can't have rules that directly deliver the intended experience because players reject them if they do. I've frequently heard players say they want a balanced game, but in practice any system with built in automatic balancing (like Rune) or with no possibility of the balance being upset (like skill checks in Strike!) sends them running for the hills.

In the same line, when our local minmaxer came to Shadowrun with his ridiculous gun-bunny who blasted every encounter in seconds, he complained the game was boring because "I just shoot everything". I, the rather-annoyed-at-the-time GM, snapped back "hey, you spent hours trying to make absolutely sure your character could shoot everything easily. Why are you complaining that you succeeded?" Now granted, on one hand I can see the psychological reasons why that's not a valid point, but from the game design point of view it seems a completely valid one.

Ron Edwards used to write a lot about the "ouija board gaming" mechanics where players want something specific but don't want a specific mechanism for delivering it, and about "no myth gaming" but this dissolves into cooperative storytelling which - while there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it - many such players just don't enjoy.

Man if your example on how "it's not that the game is broken, it's not the game's fault..." is fuckin' Shadowrun, I have real, real bad news.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shadowrun, where the physical adept is always the worst choice and the decker dies if you look at him funny.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ProfessorCirno posted:

This is literally the most commonly reused bullshit refrain on why we shouldn't bother ever balancing anything and minmaxxing is good (until the wizard isn't the most powerful, then it's all broken and has to be changed). It's entirely incorrect in every way.

Balance is not a 50/50 chance of success on everything, it's that all choices are equally viable. Shooting someone with a gun and shooting them with a laser gun, if held up as being equally viable options, should, in fact, be equally viable options. Choosing to play as a no multiclass 1-20 Fighter, and choosing to play as a no multiclass 1-20 wizard, and choosing to play as some kind of mix between them, if all three are presented as equal choices, should mean all three are equally viable and all three can effect the game to (roughly) the same degree. It means, to be frank, the actual opposite.

The whole loving point is to remove the idea that you have to spend hours pouring over the books to get just the right combinations of powers. That's not gameplay. That's homework. Events should be decided because of what happen in the game - not because of metagame decisions made before the game even started.

To add to this, because I have a lot of opinions on game balance in tabletops, balance isn't "everyone is equally powerful" or "every option is equally useful," its more like "everyone can play whatever option they want and still contribute meaningfully." PbtA games are pretty good about this, they near-universally provide balanced play experiences, but they definitely don't do it by making everyone equally powerful.

For example, The Angel in Apocalypse World is super weak. They're the healer, in a world where being healed still means weeks of bed rest and lots of pain. They can't really defend themselves well, they don't have any real armor or weaponry, they don't have much in the way of food or barter. But they have incomparable leverage, as the only person who can stitch you back together if you come home full of holes. When you play the Angel, you won't be busting heads or taking names or lording over the wastes, but you still get a balanced role in the narrative, because everybody and their mother needs you, and they need you in one piece.

And also the structure of *World games involves cutting to whoever we haven't checked in on in a while, so no matter what everyone else is up to, we still spend time with your character and see what you're up to and what you plan to do. So that does a lot to smooth out the bumps. When equal narrative focus is a core rule of the game, that goes a long way to making sure everyone feels important.

In my experience, proper balance in a tabletop game is less about everyone's numbers being on par or having equal chances to succeed at whatever they do no matter what, its more about making sure everyone feels valuable, like they're contributing in a way only they could contribute. Its about making sure no one feels like they wasted their time, whether its because the minmaxer killed everything turn one or because half the party spent all battle doing nothing meaningful.

And that's where a lot of people trying to design balance in their games trip up. Trying to balance so every option is numerically balanced is very, very hard. It's important in crunchier games, very important, but I think equal (if not more) focus needs to be given to narrative balance, making sure everyone has something meaningful they can do in any situation you put them in.

Focusing only on numerical balance (or not focusing on balance at all!) at the expense of narrative balance is the issue a lot of older games face, and I think shifting that focus to narrative balance is the actual thing about PbtA games that makes them work in a way nothing before them really did. That's the real revolutionary idea of it.

That and the playbook structure letting you hand someone everything they need to know to play in a single 1-3 page printout. That does SO much to improve pick up and play viability as well as increase player engagement by drastically reducing how much everyone needs to read the books to play the game, and is the other huge revolution that PbtA brought to the table that I am super excited to have stick around forever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe this is tangential to the min-maxing discussion, but I saw a thread about rolling for HP, and the number of people who said something to the effect of "This is not something that unbalances a game, it is something the DM balances around." was just shockingly high.

Like, apparently letting Fighters roll d10's and Wizards d6's for random amounts of HP was something that the DM can take into account when designing encounters and monsters? loving how? You're going to draw a distinction between adding another +1 or +2 to a monster's damage rolls to factor it in?

This also goes hand-in-hand with "keeping things random makes for more roleplaying opportunities!", as though having a Fighter character with 8 HP at level 3 is supposed to be "interesting".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's how I feel about all randomness, except possibly for the bare minimum necessary to prevent your game from becoming fantasy-flavored Chess. (I mean, assuming that isn't the goal in the first place.)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I personally really like randomness (I prefer in play to react to things entirely out of my own control and to interpret results and work out how the random thing occurred) but I like a lot of stuff that has fallen out of vogue for extremely good reasons. Like tables.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Maybe this is tangential to the min-maxing discussion, but I saw a thread about rolling for HP, and the number of people who said something to the effect of "This is not something that unbalances a game, it is something the DM balances around." was just shockingly high.

Like, apparently letting Fighters roll d10's and Wizards d6's for random amounts of HP was something that the DM can take into account when designing encounters and monsters? loving how? You're going to draw a distinction between adding another +1 or +2 to a monster's damage rolls to factor it in?

This also goes hand-in-hand with "keeping things random makes for more roleplaying opportunities!", as though having a Fighter character with 8 HP at level 3 is supposed to be "interesting".

We always used to do 'roll twice and take the highest' back in 2e AD&D, and by the time we hit pathfinder my group had a casual agreement that we all just assumed we maxed out the HD. It never, ever, every factored into scaling in any way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neongrey posted:

I personally really like randomness (I prefer in play to react to things entirely out of my own control and to interpret results and work out how the random thing occurred) but I like a lot of stuff that has fallen out of vogue for extremely good reasons. Like tables.

There's good randomness and bad randomness though. Randomness in and of itself isn't a bad thing, it merely gets used a lot in poorly thought out ways in a lot of RPGs without any further consideration than "random = good." Not knowing the result of deciding to take a course of action is one thing, "I rolled a 1 for my starting hitpoints so the first time a goblin nicks me with a rusty spoon I guess I'll die" is something entirely different. And even then, randomizing stuff like stats and hitpoints can be fine if the game is built from the ground up to be that sort of game, but plenty of people have enshrined stuff like rolling hitpoints and "3d6 six times in order" as a sacred text despite even the game with D&D on the cover no longer being that game these days.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, so what are some games with good char-gen randomisation? The newer Gamma World springs to mind, and so does the newish Conan game. I can't recall the specifics but WHFRP3 had the whole "randomly select a character sheet then customise" thing which was also cool. Anything else?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy AGE does a fairly good job as far as always leaving you with a workable character

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Reign.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like Through the Breach's approach; random draw to get you started, but then you can choose the stuff that really matters as far as how you will interact with the game mechanically, and you're guaranteed to be able to max out your 'be effective' stat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This is not actually the case. A lot of lovely IoT products have opt-out in terms of whether the data is collected, not whether the connectivity is enabled. And that's discounting companies deliberately obfuscating what they're doing, or implementing connectivity features incompetently. A couple years ago one of the early smart home hubs had an admin panel that was searchable over Google, and didn't require a unique login credentials. There's also plenty of devices that are always listening, whether you turn off connectivity or not, and can potentially be forced open if someone finds them while wardriving. Improper siloing of diagnostic and control systems is almost the default rather than the exception.

Conceptually Shadowrun isn't wrong about its lovely IoT. Companies making really dumb, short-sighted, and self-centered decisions should absolutely be a feature of the Shadowrun universe. Where Shadowrun fucks up is it forgets why the IoT exists in the first place. The reason "smart" products are popular is you really can get a ton of added functionality with connectivity. Shadowrun adds wireless to a bunch of items that clearly could function without it, provides no benefit for it, and then has them stop working if connectivity is removed. That's dumb. Sure, in a few cases that's okay - a cyberarm with a wireless diagnostic tool that isn't properly siloed from its control systems is a reasonable quirk or defect - it also mirrors real life examples with things like pacemakers. But for the most part, having connectivity should provide a bonus you lose if you turn it off.

It should be a risk/reward calculation in deciding whether to enable something or not, and if enabled allow a combat decker to close with you and potentially gently caress up your program if they can get something close enough to force a connection. But as pointed out, it got twisted into a way a decker could get involved in combat through the Matrix without having to be present, and a lovely implementation of that concept to boot.
Aren't there some cases where poo poo that used to work in previous editions, like using a smartlink to eject your magazine I think is one, now require it to be connected to the internet?

Leperflesh posted:

There are players who legit expect - perhaps not totally unreasonably - that while they are min-maxing their character to be uber powerful, the GM is min-maxing the antagonists in the same way; e.g., their minmaxing is necessary to meet the expected challenge. They may even feel aggrieved that their fellow players aren't putting in the effort to make powerful enough characters.

In that context the complaint "I just shoot everything" may be expressing surprise that the presented challenge turned out to be much less difficult than they expected.

...probably more often, there's just no more thought put into it than "hey I discovered a set of rule synergies that let me have even higher numbers! Woo" and I have a hard time being mad at someone for doing that, either.

It really is just, the game presented options that stack or synergize or were worded poorly to be interpreted as such; so players can but don't necessarily take advantage, leading to major power disparities between characters. And that's bad game design, period.
I remember once I was running a game, and a player complained that I kept hitting them with (low damage) attacks which completely bypassed their force field.

Until I pointed out that any attack which was capable of getting through it without the "completely bypass force field" attack modifier would outright kill any other member of the party.

Kwyndig posted:

Shadowrun, where the physical adept is always the worst choice and the decker dies if you look at him funny.
Wasn't the physad the best choice in 4e for a few roles... none of which were "fighting things"?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

From what I've heard, the whole online bonuses thing happened like this because the guy that wrote the cyberware listings thought that the bonus was for having a direct neural connection, while the guy that wrote the decking rules thought it meant your wifi was on and easily hackable. Importantly, neither of these people spoke to each other.

danwon
Aug 19, 2015

AlphaDog posted:

OK, so what are some games with good char-gen randomisation? The newer Gamma World springs to mind, and so does the newish Conan game. I can't recall the specifics but WHFRP3 had the whole "randomly select a character sheet then customise" thing which was also cool. Anything else?

Beyond the Wall's character generation randomly allocates points, much like Reign's.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

AlphaDog posted:

Nightbane, but not because of balance.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

seconding this

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

There's good randomness and bad randomness though. Randomness in and of itself isn't a bad thing, it merely gets used a lot in poorly thought out ways in a lot of RPGs without any further consideration than "random = good." Not knowing the result of deciding to take a course of action is one thing, "I rolled a 1 for my starting hitpoints so the first time a goblin nicks me with a rusty spoon I guess I'll die" is something entirely different. And even then, randomizing stuff like stats and hitpoints can be fine if the game is built from the ground up to be that sort of game, but plenty of people have enshrined stuff like rolling hitpoints and "3d6 six times in order" as a sacred text despite even the game with D&D on the cover no longer being that game these days.

Sure, but that was far more of a response to the notion that all randomness being bad which I posted right after. :v:

(I do actually like 3d6 in order because I like working out what kind of life led would result in those results, but I also like tossing sets of rolls where the answer is "not one that I want to play" so)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Thinking about it a bit more, I guess the issue is more than RPGs seem to be the only type of game where criticism is based almost entirely on the outcome of the game. And yet putting in any rule deliberately manipulating outcomes is instantly offputting.

People complain if one faction in a tabletop minis game has an advantage. But they don't complain that a wrong strategic choice at the beginning can get you kerb stomped, if a different choice was available. They certainly don't demand that every battle is tense and ends with one side winning, but possibly only just - which people do demand from RPGs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
No, they don't. DnD 5e went (kept?) Back to the tradition of eight encounters per day which means that some of them are trivially easy as to make that many encounters without a long rest possible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

No, they don't. DnD 5e went (kept?) Back to the tradition of eight encounters per day which means that some of them are trivially easy as to make that many encounters without a long rest possible.

This only for D&D, but correct.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

This only for D&D, but correct.

Still. No other kind of game is designed based on variable play scenarios that are expected to have one of a small range of managed outcomes and to never be replayed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Well, I mean, when the most popular game does it that way, that's a sizeable portion of the gaming population. Pathfinder works the same way, too.

CoD games also have different levels of encounters (down and dirty). HeroQuest 2e has different levels of relative challenge and is a big part of how narrative is supposed to work in that system (rising and falling action). Strike! has different encounter types based on intended difficulty/importance.

I'm sure there are more games, too.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Zereth posted:

Aren't there some cases where poo poo that used to work in previous editions, like using a smartlink to eject your magazine I think is one, now require it to be connected to the internet?
Yeah that's the sort of thing where Shadowrun fucks up. The problem is that the rationale commonly used to say "that's dumb" is also dumb. It's one thing to say "thematically this moves too far from the source material" (I don't agree but there's a legit argument that can be constructed here) or "the implementation of this is lovely, both in terms of mechanics and logic" (absolutely true).

But the arguments are usually about ~realism~ and the idea that 'runners and Corps both make always-optimal choices to maximize their returns, even if they're chasing a tiny tiny edge.

That's just not how these things actually work. Hell, there's even a whole philosophy in project management about this idea. It's relatively low effort to solve for 80% of cases, fairly significant effort to solve for the next 10%, and an absolutely absurd amount of effort to solve for the last 10%. So companies generally don't try to cover that last 10% and deal with it on an exception basis, or just don't bother serving those customers at all. This should be how megacorps generally behave.

It's also at the heart of why cyberpunk worlds suck - it's one thing if a restaurant that specializes in Thai food ultimately decides just to put up warning signs that they can't accommodate peanut allergies. That still kind of sucks, especially when a bunch of restaurants all make the same decision independently, and there's arguments to be made about what are legitimate reasons for non-accommodation.

It's an entirely different level of awful when people working from the same mindset are in charge of safe drinking water or building codes, and that's even before you add in that quarterly returns are the only criterion those people are being judged on, and that the people really responsible are shielded from any actual consequences.

Basically if you want a primer on how megacorps should behave, go watch Glengarry Glen Ross, Wall Street, The Big Short, Too Big to Fail, and The Smartest Guys in the Room. Especially the last three since they are connected to actual cases where widely praised industries, corporations, and executives made obviously bad choices because it was easy.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 26, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AlphaDog posted:

Random chargen is an option for Shadow of the Demon Lord as well and works fine there, mostly setting background details or physical traits that don't make your character unplayable or gate options if you roll the wrong combo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think the next model for games being popular has to do with the number of popular nerds. Harmon, Wheaton, Day, Vin Diesel: if any of these people actually developed an RPG, it would be huge. Maybe not mainstream huge, but in our increasingly balkanized culture, maybe there isn't mainstream huge outside of Pokenon Go, superhero movies and dragging celebrities when they gently caress up.

The easiest way to start might be creating an escape room where people solve it in character.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Golden Bee posted:

I think the next model for games being popular has to do with the number of popular nerds. Harmon, Wheaton, Day, Vin Diesel: if any of these people actually developed an RPG, it would be huge. Maybe not mainstream huge, but in our increasingly balkanized culture, maybe there isn't mainstream huge outside of Pokenon Go, superhero movies and dragging celebrities when they gently caress up.

I mean, Wil Wheaton has an RPG based on the campaign that he regularly runs on Geek & Sundry. Maybe it's really popular elsewhere but I can't say I've heard a ton of buzz about it beyond the initial "oh hey there's gonna be an RPG based on that campaign Wil Wheaton runs."

quote:

The easiest way to start might be creating an escape room where people solve it in character.

These already exist. There's one (or was one, I haven't checked to see if it's gone out of business) at a mall near where I live, you make a reservation, pay a fee, and you and X number of people have an hour to solve the mystery and escape from a puzzle room.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Random chargen is an option for Shadow of the Demon Lord as well and works fine there, mostly setting background details or physical traits that don't make your character unplayable or gate options if you roll the wrong combo.

To add to this, there is an extremely fiddly and involved random-rolling-for-stats system in Forbidden rules. Usually it just involves taking a lower base stat and add 1d3 to it. Some ancestries have more or less in certain stats, but overall the system is just catering to more of the worst.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

These already exist. There's one (or was one, I haven't checked to see if it's gone out of business) at a mall near where I live, you make a reservation, pay a fee, and you and X number of people have an hour to solve the mystery and escape from a puzzle room.

I think he/she means an RPG-branded one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wil Wheaton is repellently bad on camera and I don't understand how he still has a popular following. I mean, he's a perfectly nice guy and I genuinely like him, but my god, he is always fake-"on" in a really awful way. I imagine him trying to promote a product to the general public would actually hurt sales.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah that's the sort of thing where Shadowrun fucks up. The problem is that the rationale commonly used to say "that's dumb" is also dumb. It's one thing to say "thematically this moves too far from the source material" (I don't agree but there's a legit argument that can be constructed here) or "the implementation of this is lovely, both in terms of mechanics and logic" (absolutely true).

But the arguments are usually about ~realism~ and the idea that 'runners and Corps both make always-optimal choices to maximize their returns, even if they're chasing a tiny tiny edge.

That's just not how these things actually work. Hell, there's even a whole philosophy in project management about this idea. It's relatively low effort to solve for 80% of cases, fairly significant effort to solve for the next 10%, and an absolutely absurd amount of effort to solve for the last 10%. So companies generally don't try to cover that last 10% and deal with it on an exception basis, or just don't bother serving those customers at all. This should be how megacorps generally behave.

It's also at the heart of why cyberpunk worlds suck - it's one thing if a restaurant that specializes in Thai food ultimately decides just to put up warning signs that they can't accommodate peanut allergies. That still kind of sucks, especially when a bunch of restaurants all make the same decision independently, and there's arguments to be made about what are legitimate reasons for non-accommodation.

It's an entirely different level of awful when people working from the same mindset are in charge of safe drinking water or building codes, and that's even before you add in that quarterly returns are the only criterion those people are being judged on, and that the people really responsible are shielded from any actual consequences.

Basically if you want a primer on how megacorps should behave, go watch Glengarry Glen Ross, Wall Street, The Big Short, Too Big to Fail, and The Smartest Guys in the Room. Especially the last three since they are connected to actual cases where widely praised industries, corporations, and executives made obviously bad choices because it was easy.

That's actually a long-running argument in the Shadowrun player community. The newer editions of the game really don't go out of their way enough to talk about just how lovely the daily life of the average non-wageslave in SR's world really is. They badly forgot the 'punk' portion of cyberpunk, and pushed towards 'how cool is all this transhumanist stuff!' instead of 'your characters are ekeing out survival in a world that considers their lives a rounding error on a particularly unimportant spreadsheet'.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Wil Wheaton is repellently bad on camera and I don't understand how he still has a popular following. I mean, he's a perfectly nice guy and I genuinely like him, but my god, he is always fake-"on" in a really awful way. I imagine him trying to promote a product to the general public would actually hurt sales.

I mean his brand was literally kicked off on the strength of "that guy you hated is actually pretty nice", I think he is kind of boned.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I met Wil Wheaton at Dragoncon one year. Dude stayed late 30 extra minutes to meet everyone in line, and I was the last person. Very nice guy, and I enjoy his onscreen persona. I never watched TNG back in the day so I had no idea who the guy was or why folks hated him so much until I checked it out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't really have strong feelings about Wil Wheaton one way or the other except for the time he publicly threw a producer on his Youtube show under the bus, blaming him for being the reason they always get so many rules wrong in the games they play, which was a pretty lovely thing to do, but otherwise he's definitely someone I would hold up as being Nerd Famous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And here we see the difference between Nerd Famous and Famous Nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
To add to that, Dan Harmon is notable in some nerd circles but a mainstream audience wouldn't immediately recognize that he created Community and Rick and Morty. And Vin Diesel only seems to play D&D 3e, so I'm not optimistic about any RPG he theoretically designs and publishes.

• Locked thread