Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

that's pretty braindead compared to many other weapons

also drink dash juice

That's still just trading stamina management for buff management (also getting the dash juice).

I guess everyone has weapons that feel more or less natural to them, but personally DB is one of the weapons I still struggle to use. LS can be a bit tricky too because it's deceptively slow and unwieldy, the attacks are very narrow and you can't "correct" them very well after pressing the button. By contrast, the Switch Axe for instance has wide and quick attacks and you don't even need to worry about its switching gimmick (aka. just stay in sword) so I'd rank it as probably the easiest one I've used. Hammer also feels very natural to me. It's probably as slow and unwieldy as the LS but it feels more "right" due to the power of the hits and the way you charge up.

My recommendation to anyone new is to just try all the weapons. I struggled to get into Monster Hunter until I tried the Hammer and it just clicked, since then I've branched out into using a lot of weapons of course but that helped me get over the initial "get started" phase. All the weapons are equally great, so find the one that's easiest to use for you to start with :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah personally I can only really use IG, Bow and Switch Axe. Everything else is tough.

Also Prowler but RIP :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah personally I can only really use IG, Bow and Switch Axe. Everything else is tough.

Also Prowler but RIP :(

Ha, that's the exact list of weapons I'm most interested in.

Bow looks really satisfying from the MH World gameplay I've seen.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think a lot of weapon barriers in MHW will be lessened due to not being 3DS controls, mouse/keyboard option, and the focus on lowering the entry to learning MH.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So how long do we think the turnaround will be before Monster Hunter Worlds: Unite?

Or will this be the gen they finally start just doing it through DLC and patching.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Dear God, if you're thinking of trying out long sword and you're new to the series, please be aware that you will trip the hell out of everyone near you if you're not careful.

It's honestly not a big deal if you're even the slightest bit aware, but you'd be surprised at how many people are completely oblivious to it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
http://i.imgur.com/JYGYCPp.gifv

Hammers can become Sanic??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oialE6SGcw

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Changes look awesome, the new skills will probably help Hammer feel less monotone. Love the air spin :swoon:

Unrelated, but I wonder when/if they'll announce what monsters will be in MHW. Have they done that with the previous games? I want to get in on the ground floor of complaining about the garbage old monsters they'll inevitably include :yeah: I've played a bunch of MH4U the last days and while there are a lot of Cool and Good monsters that are fun to fight, there sure are some stinkers in there too.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Changes look awesome, the new skills will probably help Hammer feel less monotone. Love the air spin :swoon:

Unrelated, but I wonder when/if they'll announce what monsters will be in MHW. Have they done that with the previous games? I want to get in on the ground floor of complaining about the garbage old monsters they'll inevitably include :yeah: I've played a bunch of MH4U the last days and while there are a lot of Cool and Good monsters that are fun to fight, there sure are some stinkers in there too.

I think it is pretty typical for most all monsters to be named and visibly revealed before release - but that may just be because I don't follow closely up to Japanese release and it only seems that way.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Man, I didn't realize how much of a pain it is to import MHXX.

Well. Time to fire up my 3DS for the first time in about half a year to get that Hunting fix.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pulp rag posted:

Man, I didn't realize how much of a pain it is to import MHXX.

Well. Time to fire up my 3DS for the first time in about half a year to get that Hunting fix.

I've been really tempted to get MHXX for my cfw 3ds but... It's an old 3ds XL and I don't think I could play MH with no camera stick :rip:

Got the cravings for monster hunting bad though, which is why I've been playing 4U.. Currently farming Steve and I still think he's a piece of poo poo, I can kill him fine but he's not fun to fight. :whitewater:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Your Computer posted:

I've been really tempted to get MHXX for my cfw 3ds but... It's an old 3ds XL and I don't think I could play MH with no camera stick :rip:

Circle pad pro? It's actually better than the new 3DS nub.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've been watching streams of Dauntless and it seems to get much better once you get to the higher levels. For Monster Hunter veterans the starting Behemoths have some serious training wheels on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Circle pad pro? It's actually better than the new 3DS nub.

That would be great if it was actually possible to get one, but as far as I can tell it isn't. :( Even if I could find a place that ships here, it looks like it would be expensive as heck and at that point I might as well just buy a new 3ds and install cfw on that one.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zore posted:

Stamina management, demon dancing, demon mode and archdemon mode changing your attacks...

It always seemed pretty complex to me :shrug:

I guess it's not nearly as trivial as hammer or SA, but I guess it just really clicked with me in a way nothing else did. It doesn't help that one of my friends plays HBG, HH and Longsword, so I'm always watching him manage everything that goes into those weapons.

dragon enthusiast posted:

that's pretty braindead compared to many other weapons

also drink dash juice

Dash juice tastes gross though

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_oNMRiT5II

Arekkz Light Bowgun video up. Man, seeing how mobile gunning is now makes me want to do it again, after having not gunned since 3U for multiplayer and soloing village Alatreon. It looks so good.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Moving and gunning at the same time makes me want to actually do gunning now. Capcom is.... learning?!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
No rad looking gunner armor is a huge negative.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Marogareh posted:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

That would be great if it was actually possible to get one, but as far as I can tell it isn't. :( Even if I could find a place that ships here, it looks like it would be expensive as heck and at that point I might as well just buy a new 3ds and install cfw on that one.

I got one a year ago for like 20 bucks from japan. The shipping costs were completely forgettable.

Marogareh posted:

gunner mitsuzune set was my jam, I'll be sad to see it gone

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

I got one a year ago for like 20 bucks from japan. The shipping costs were completely forgettable.

Where? :aaa: I haven't been able to find anything anywhere.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Your Computer posted:

Where? :aaa: I haven't been able to find anything anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Pad-Pro-Nintendo-Accessory-Included/dp/B009LGO88E

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I like the change to Pellet a lot. It behaves like a shotgun shell instead of whatever lovely nonsense it was in the older games.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Sitting here killing a maccao on my monitor and then picking up the switch and continuing to kill it while pooping is truly the monster hunter experience I've always dreamed of. If world didn't look so good it'd almost be a shame that gen5 won't be on switch.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Harrow posted:

Ha, that's the exact list of weapons I'm most interested in.

Bow looks really satisfying from the MH World gameplay I've seen.

There are only a few weapons I wouldn't recommend to a MH beginner: Charge Blade and the two Bowguns. Charge Blade is the most complicated of the melee weapons and while it's totally fine to play it sub-optimally, there's just so much going on with it that I think you'd be better served with something that would let you focus more on the monsters. The Bowguns are actually totally fine, it's just that gunning tends to be a bit more punishing since you have less defense and if you aren't playing well with bowguns things can take REALLY REALLY LONG and be REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE since you are using so much ammo.

I'd also only recommend Greatsword, Lance, and Gunlance with caveats, just in that their playstyles are very specific and have a lot of differences with other weapons. Greatsword plays a lot more deliberately and takes some knowledge of the monsters movements to play well while Lance and Gunlance have very different movement when compared to the other weapons.

Everything else you can pretty much just run in and start swinging with a minimum of understanding (at least watch a quick guide though, every weapon has mechanics going on that aren't immediately obvious). The most important thing is to at least try all the weapons (recent MH games have included weapon training missions that are great for just trying something out) because you never know what will just *click* with you. And certain weapons do just work for certain people, more so than in any other game I've played.

Your Computer posted:

Historically they've never announced "This is the full roster!" and we usually don't know it until the full game drops in Japan and people smash through it or datamine it. Sometimes we'll get a list from a datamine of the demo. It looks like everything is getting pretty heavily revamped though, Rathalos seems to be heavily adjusted and Barroth has several new mechanics at the least. On top of that, the new open maps, hunter tools, and environmental interactions will HEAVILY affect how we engage with the monsters. We won't know what's garbage and what's fun until we actually get our mitts on the game.

Marogareh posted:

I like the change to Pellet a lot. It behaves like a shotgun shell instead of whatever lovely nonsense it was in the older games.

Being able to actually use Pellet (or Spread as it's now called) in multiplayer is a fuckin' dream come true.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AttackBacon posted:

There are only a few weapons I wouldn't recommend to a MH beginner: Charge Blade and the two Bowguns. Charge Blade is the most complicated of the melee weapons and while it's totally fine to play it sub-optimally, there's just so much going on with it that I think you'd be better served with something that would let you focus more on the monsters. The Bowguns are actually totally fine, it's just that gunning tends to be a bit more punishing since you have less defense and if you aren't playing well with bowguns things can take REALLY REALLY LONG and be REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE since you are using so much ammo.

I'd also only recommend Greatsword, Lance, and Gunlance with caveats, just in that their playstyles are very specific and have a lot of differences with other weapons. Greatsword plays a lot more deliberately and takes some knowledge of the monsters movements to play well while Lance and Gunlance have very different movement when compared to the other weapons.

Everything else you can pretty much just run in and start swinging with a minimum of understanding (at least watch a quick guide though, every weapon has mechanics going on that aren't immediately obvious). The most important thing is to at least try all the weapons (recent MH games have included weapon training missions that are great for just trying something out) because you never know what will just *click* with you. And certain weapons do just work for certain people, more so than in any other game I've played.

Slight caveat for the Insect Glaive, while using it is fairly easy once you get the hang of kinsect and extract management, playing with it before you upgrade your bug's speed is a huge pain; getting some nectar or whatever they have this time around to upgrade your bug at least a few levels first might be a good idea just to make it more bearable. (Of course you could also be like me and main it from the word go, but I make poor decisions.)

Otherwise, yeah, it's definitely one of the weapons you can probably just jump into with minimal difficulty, taking all of the above into account. It's a very fun weapon too, and very satisfying to play. World looks like it's only making it better, too.

I wonder if they'll be changing things regarding bowgun ammo management and stuff to make it less of a huge pain and money sink. Any word on that from an interview or something yet?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

charge blade was my first weapon and the only reason i wouldn't suggest it is because you'll have a hard time wanting to try anything else :twisted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I don't recommend starting with gun lance just because faster kills will be safer kills.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I recommend Switch Axe-so you can fall in love and never look back.

But seriously excited to try a ranged weapon (bow?) Now that I can control the drat thing

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Took me two days and getting my card declined multiple times for trying to buy foreign goods, but I finally have MHXX. :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doesn't ship here :smith:

AttackBacon posted:

Historically they've never announced "This is the full roster!" and we usually don't know it until the full game drops in Japan and people smash through it or datamine it. Sometimes we'll get a list from a datamine of the demo. It looks like everything is getting pretty heavily revamped though, Rathalos seems to be heavily adjusted and Barroth has several new mechanics at the least. On top of that, the new open maps, hunter tools, and environmental interactions will HEAVILY affect how we engage with the monsters. We won't know what's garbage and what's fun until we actually get our mitts on the game.

That's fair. I thought the demo was just Anjanath and Great Jagras though, do we have more solid info on Rathalos and Barroth? Because if Rathalos is finally revamped... :pray:

With the move to HD maybe we'll finally get some tighter hitboxes, too. That would be pretty awesome.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Assuming the internal ammo changes from Gen made it into MHW it's a lot cheaper to gun from the start, the main issue is there's a lot of inventory management for gunning, but with item sets that's less of an issue as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Devlan Mud posted:

Assuming the internal ammo changes from Gen made it into MHW it's a lot cheaper to gun from the start, the main issue is there's a lot of inventory management for gunning, but with item sets that's less of an issue as well.

I hope they bump item sets up in Worlds, having so many armor slots, but having only 8 for items is aggravating. Also an option to auto create stuff you ran out of, but have the ingredients for whenever you pull out an item set.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope they bump item sets up in Worlds, having so many armor slots, but having only 8 for items is aggravating. Also an option to auto create stuff you ran out of, but have the ingredients for whenever you pull out an item set.

Yeah only eight item sets was awful in Gen and the reason I didn't main gun, although at least XX bumped that up to 24 item sets so I hoping World got that memo too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insect glaive's acrobatic craziness in the preview videos is extremely :swoon: Has it always been that acrobatic and airborne?

pnumoman posted:

Dear God, if you're thinking of trying out long sword and you're new to the series, please be aware that you will trip the hell out of everyone near you if you're not careful.

It's honestly not a big deal if you're even the slightest bit aware, but you'd be surprised at how many people are completely oblivious to it.

I have heard of the dangers of tripping. Good to know it's not actually that hard to avoid, but you just have to not be a blind, spamming idiot.

AttackBacon posted:

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'm hyped enough for MH World I might even try to get into one of the 3DS ones again, just because doing some monster hunting seems very fun and satisfying.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Insect glaive's acrobatic craziness in the preview videos is extremely :swoon: Has it always been that acrobatic and airborne?
The IG has always been THE aerial weapon. The fourth gen introduced monster mounting, so they also introduced the IG to take advantage of that with cool jumps and flips (while all the other plebs had to jump off ledges to get mounting hits). With the introduction of Aerial Style in Generations suddenly every weapon could do jumps so to stand out they made the Aerial IG even cooler (instead of a flip you get a lunge) and in World they're making it even crazier with god drat airdashes. They're determined to keep the IG as the king of aerial combat, that's for sure!

I swear it would be my favorite weapon (always loved staff-type weapons) if it wasn't for the insect.

Harrow posted:

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'm hyped enough for MH World I might even try to get into one of the 3DS ones again, just because doing some monster hunting seems very fun and satisfying.
Both 4U and Generations are amazing games, and monster hunting is indeed very fun and satisfying :kimchi:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah IG is the air weapon and it looks like they did a sweet job of making it still the choice for that state while letting everyone else mount too.

I like jumping moves so the maps don't have to have conspicuous ledges on every single screen making me run in a wacky circle trying to mount.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
IG will forever be shitter tier. You can thank the french community.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I swear it would be my favorite weapon (always loved staff-type weapons) if it wasn't for the insect.

Yeah, the insect part gives me pause, but maybe I'll like it when I give it a solid shot. That, the switch axe, and the bow look really satisfying from videos that I've seen.

Hunting horn also seems interesting. I like the idea of buffing allies by playing songs through a huge horn that I also use as a hammer.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

From previous games the insect is fine in combat. And the weapon works even if you forget you have the insect for 5 minutes just fine.

The leveling of the insect however. That was extra gathering and aome spreadsheet work I never wrapped my head around.

That's MH though. Get a hammer and smack poo poo. Or get really deep into some complicated stuff. Up to you.

Hunting horn is awesome and if you pair it properly you can do crazy stuff like letting switch axe do an infinite stunning combo.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 26, 2017

• Locked thread