Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Syrian Lannister posted:

Is this the one where they were talking about breaking into a building for safety?

It was that last one i quoted / you linked.

And gently caress, I wouldn't blame them for doing that one but in that poo poo... any port in a storm! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

yeah actual journalists are interviewing a congressman who informed us that a tree is down in his yard

(i'm not joking)

I saw that too. Goddamn what a clusterfuck the news cycle is right now.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Used to rock the gently caress out of the warshies, bare balls and cock exposed to the fly debris air

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I saw that too. Goddamn what a clusterfuck the news cycle is right now.
The news media is so pathetic and obsequious

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:swoon:

edit: IS THAT CR ENGLAND DRIVER STILL HITCHED TO HIS DAMNED TRAILER :wtf:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
stream just ended again while he was checking the weather radar.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

:swoon:

edit: IS THAT CR ENGLAND DRIVER STILL HITCHED TO HIS DAMNED TRAILER :wtf:

That thing better be like loving full of concrete, or it's just a big sail.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like, poo poo, drop the trailer because if it's hitched, the cab goes where it goes

No load is worth that poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol the Brandon Clements stream is the essence of BOHICA right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Professor Bling posted:

Like, poo poo, drop the trailer because if it's hitched, the cab goes where it goes

No load is worth that poo poo

Some companies will fire you for dropping a load (heh), even if keeping the load hitched is literally killing you. But hey, fight it out in court rather than from a tipped over cab filling with water.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Dude is doing a drat good job of not broadcasting any swear words in the face of his imminent death.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
lol at everyone asking about the drat shed

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
BACK AGAIN!!!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Some companies will fire you for dropping a load (heh), even if keeping the load hitched is literally killing you. But hey, fight it out in court rather than from a tipped over cab filling with water.

I'm pretty sure there is actually an example of a case where Gorsuch sided with a trucking company who fired an employee who ditched his cargo to save his life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I'm pretty sure there is actually an example of a case where Gorsuch sided with a trucking company who fired an employee who ditched his cargo to save his life.

Yes, there is. Fortunately, the other two judges were like "nah, lol"

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Hurricane coverage from San Antonio: pretty sure I just heard "Don't you gently caress my mom!" carried on the wind while out smoking.

This storm is truly hell.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The driver was stuck in a snowstorm without heat. He unhitched his trailer and abandoned it.

The law the driver claimed immunity under said that truckers could not be fired for refusing to operate their vehicle in unsafe conditions. Gorsuch argued that this does not conversely give them the right to operate a vehicle without authorization. I can see it both ways; obviously allowing the trucker to drive away without his load is the normative good outcome, but if I grabbed one of my company's ambulances to drive my hurt friend to the hospital, I fully expect they would fire my rear end even if I saved his life in the process.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What if you used the ambulance you were already driving to save your life?

Although a good comedy option would've been listening to the dispatcher who said to drag the frozen up trailer. Blow apart the tractor engine and/or transmission then maybe die on the highway.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

What if you used the ambulance you were already driving to save your life?
I'd already be authorized to use the ambulance if I was on duty, and the scope of those duties includes responding to accidents I come across. I'm talking about a situation where I was not authorized to use the ambulance but took one anyway, or self-dispatched to something on the police/fire scanner.

It's an apples to oranges comparison in some ways: If I left a patient in a snow bank because the ambulance wouldn't move with them in it, I'd probably go to jail.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 26, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/901263061511794688

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The driver was stuck in a snowstorm without heat. He unhitched his trailer and abandoned it.

The law the driver claimed immunity under said that truckers could not be fired for refusing to operate their vehicle in unsafe conditions. Gorsuch argued that this does not conversely give them the right to operate a vehicle without authorization. I can see it both ways; obviously allowing the trucker to drive away without his load is the normative good outcome, but if I grabbed one of my company's ambulances to drive my hurt friend to the hospital, I fully expect they would fire my rear end even if I saved his life in the process.

These are not comparable situations. Gorsuch's position is untenable because it valued a piece of equipment over a human life.

The issue that he got fired for was he abandoned the trailer. The law properly granted him immunity because his direction was to drive the truck with the non-functional trailer or stay with the trailer both of which endangered his life.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I agree that the driver being granted immunity is the normative good outcome, but I think there is a reasonable argument that the law as written didn't provide him legal cover to abscond with his employer's property in order to save his life, and the horrible choice between dying or losing his job is the fault of the legislature, and their responsibility to fix.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The reason we have judges instead of just someone that reads the law word for word is so they can make judgements when things fall outside of the norm.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think we should make exceptions in cases we have sympathy for, because it erodes the idea of living in a nation of laws. See: jurors refusing to convict the Bundy ranchers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think we should make exceptions in cases we have sympathy for, because it erodes the idea of living in a nation of laws. See: jurors refusing to convict the Bundy ranchers.

restricting the supreme court to a legislative OCR machine erodes their constitutional role in checking the power of the legislature and executive.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ded posted:

The reason we have judges instead of just someone that reads the law word for word is so they can make judgements when things fall outside of the norm.

Though isn't trump's appointment to the supreme court a literalist?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Though isn't trump's appointment to the supreme court a literalist?

Only when it advances the Heritage Foundation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ded posted:

Except its Gorsuch.

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, thats something else and you know it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 26, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is exactly why this system is in place, so that ostensibly the will of the people can override the letter of the law.

That means you get Bundy's fundies running amok, but it also means DREAMers can get school.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The legal system and laws mean less than the poo poo I took this morning when President Pissbaby is slinging pardons for his besties. At that point it's not about either fair or even being legal, it's about controlling the people who aren't oligarchs.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/901245620521979904

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wonder if there's a way the pardon would backfire.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder how long before the constitutional convention amending the Constitution to remove pardon powers occurs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We can't even get an impeachment started what the gently caress makes you think they're going to rally a constitutional convention in reaction to Joe "gently caress you brown people" Arpaio getting away with thumbing his nose at the courts.

You're loving naive to think anything other than loving violence matters. Allah ackbar hail Satan gently caress you.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

The legal system and laws mean less than the poo poo I took this morning when President Pissbaby is slinging pardons for his besties.

Chelsea Manning did nothing wrong

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

psydude posted:

I wonder how long before the constitutional convention amending the Constitution to remove pardon powers occurs.

Lets not have a constitutional convention please, with all of these R controlled state legislatures sending delegates bad things can happen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

We can't even get an impeachment started what the gently caress makes you think they're going to rally a constitutional convention in reaction to Joe "gently caress you brown people" Arpaio getting away with thumbing his nose at the courts.

You're loving naive to think anything other than loving violence matters. Allah ackbar hail Satan gently caress you.

I'm talking 10 years from now in the aftermath of the Trump administration.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Chelsea Manning did nothing wrong

You can like or dislike the reasoning for Manning's pardon, I personally didn't like it, but let me know when Manning develops time travel and goes back in time to put all of her political weight behind Obama during his campaign so that her pardon is the result of oligarchic quid pro quo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Manning also served time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Manning also served time.

Manning also got a commutation, not a pardon.

She's still a convicted criminal but the cyber law states that your minimum sentence makes you walk out an old person

• Locked thread