Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Manofmanusernames posted:

So I've been working on a crime fiction based PbtA hack. I noticed that most crime RPGs where based around heists, so I based my game more around Tarantino/Coen Brothers movies. This is mostly for my how personal amusement as I don't think anybody in my group would be interested in playing it.

I've out lined the basic moves and all that good stuff, not to different from other apoc games. I have a general idea of the playbooks but I'm going to work on those last. I've moved on to the more specific rules for the game. I like the collective goal mechanic from UA3 so I'm trying to figure out how to translate that into apocalypse. UA used percentiles for it's objectives but that wouldn't work here.

I thinking of coming up with a set of group moves that would help in dealing with the objective. Then with escalating threat as they progress to completion. But I'm worried that increasing heat would make it seem like GTA: the RPG.

I don't really have enough done to link the doc yet. Any thoughts?

The difference between a Tarantino/Coen brother's movie and a typical heist movie is that instead of working together towards a common objective like clockwork everyone should quickly be heading towards shitsville and the only question is if your character will make it out with the money, his life, or his dignity by the end. I'd make it so the highest bonus anyone could possibly get is a +1 and the moves are more directed towards delaying/redirecting problems than actually removing them. I'd also make some kind of basic cooperation move that's actually a prisoner's dilemma. Both players secretly fill in a circle on their sheet. There's a list of choices for both cooperate, both betray, and one cooperates but one betrays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You'd be hard pressed to do a better Coen RPG than Fiasco.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

You'd be hard pressed to do a better Coen RPG than Fiasco.

Yeah. You're never gonna get closer to that feel than Fiasco.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
In my Monsterhearts game, the Ghost is currently in her Darkest Self and someone brought up cell phones. I'm pretty certain if the Ghost's phone rings, she's the only one who can hear it, and anyone calling her can hear only static if she picks up the phone. But what about texting? I feel like texting breaks the spirit of the darkest self, but it's pretty clearly manipulating an inanimate object and I'd definitely allow the Ghost to write someone a note and leave it in person.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

inklesspen posted:

In my Monsterhearts game, the Ghost is currently in her Darkest Self and someone brought up cell phones. I'm pretty certain if the Ghost's phone rings, she's the only one who can hear it, and anyone calling her can hear only static if she picks up the phone. But what about texting? I feel like texting breaks the spirit of the darkest self, but it's pretty clearly manipulating an inanimate object and I'd definitely allow the Ghost to write someone a note and leave it in person.

Maybe the text has the same "supernatural static" effect that the phone gets? Like, if a ghost leaves a note in a movie, it's not usually a pen-and-paper note, it's written on the walls in fresh blood. So here, the sender is listed on the recipient's phone as "unknown number," the phone number itself is just a bunch of zeroes and the text itself gets all Creepypasta glitchy and corrupt -- readable, but difficult to parse.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

She can send texts but they just come out as a string of :ghost: emojis.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
All that happens is your phone gets an error titled "2spoopy4me" and refuses to open the text.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

inklesspen posted:

⛧ ψ̵̻̖͙͚̤͂̓ ̷̰̮͛̊̌̚⛥̸̱͇̆͝ ̴̨͕̳̗̇̕⛧̷̭̳͎̲̅ ̸̘̇̊ψ̵̜̼̙̠̀̍ ̶̦̞̗̖̗͑⛧̷͚̭́͘ ̶̻̟̼͍̑̀̀̏⛧̴͉̠̐ ̶̫͎̈́I̶̫̻̲̐͊͆̍͌ẗ̷̜̩̰̦́ ̷͍̪̗̮̔c̴̞̀͝ó̵̜̗̀͗̊ͅṵ̸̘͍͐͆l̶̰̃d̶͚̈́͐ ̸̨͎͈̳̔̎͘s̶̢͎̬̐̂̈̋ͅh̵̙͉̹͌ò̴̫͔͍͉̈́̂̃w̴̢͍̟͌̏ ̶̀͜u̵͇̯͙̰͌̽̈́͑͠p̸͗͜ ̶̦͕͖̐̀l̸̼͈̗͔̀͗̚i̵̲̻̱̽̈́͆͑̚ḳ̷̪̙̍̊ḙ̵̡̬͈̿̀ ̷͉̪̽͗t̷̟̪̹̠̜̃͌̾̕̚h̷̫̠̮̏̎͑͌ͅì̵̜͖͊̈́̈s̶͇͎̽̌͊̈́͊ ̸̼̑⛥̵̯̒̉̇̋͘ ̸̟̎͂͘̚̚⛥̵̘̳͇͠ ̸̭͊̾☠̸͕̤̬̤́̚ ̴̺̰̣̜͌̌̉ψ̴̛͍͈͇̅̓̕ ̴̱͋̄͌͘⛥̸̥͖̳̊̃ ̶̡͔̅͑̉̐̐͜͜⛧̸̧̼̹̠̈ͅ ψ

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'll be running another Dragon Ball Parallels playtest, tonight (Sunday), once again at 11pm local time (6pm Eastern for Americans). We'll be putting together characters and going on a brief adventure for 'bout 2 hours or so. As before, it'll be on the Traditional Games discord server so be there if you wanna take part or listen in.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Has anyone read the latest Sprawl supplement?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

I'll be running another Dragon Ball Parallels playtest, tonight (Sunday), once again at 11pm local time (6pm Eastern for Americans). We'll be putting together characters and going on a brief adventure for 'bout 2 hours or so. As before, it'll be on the Traditional Games discord server so be there if you wanna take part or listen in.

Rest in power, NATAS the Oni, Green Frieza, and Son Roku.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I really enjoyed the cybercat stuff, haven't read the rest yet.

Vincent Baker just posted the Landfall Marine playbook for AW on his patreon, it has some fun stuff for the MC for building a campaign around this playbook and it feels a lot like 3:16.

http://apocalypse-world.com/AW2ELandfallMarine.pdf

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

DJPON3Vinyl posted:

Does anyone know where I could find a one-shot Paydayesque hack I believe I saw once on here before? I recall the name being Daylight Robbery but I can't find it again.

I'm the author of that hack - let me know if you have any questions or anything.

If it's of interest a French fan has picked it up and is translating it which should be out soon(ish), with some most custom content to reflect classic French cinema heists and crime capers. There's also a German version and a Spanish version hanging around somewhere that people have translated.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

xiw posted:

I really enjoyed the cybercat stuff, haven't read the rest yet.

Vincent Baker just posted the Landfall Marine playbook for AW on his patreon, it has some fun stuff for the MC for building a campaign around this playbook and it feels a lot like 3:16.

http://apocalypse-world.com/AW2ELandfallMarine.pdf

I'm only ever letting this book into my campaigns if it's played the right and original way - as the Space Marine Mammal like God intended.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The cities one? It's solid overall, though some of them clearly have a lot more effort put into them than others. I also didn't really know how to feel about the Lagos setting's inclusion of voodoo magic.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
"loving voodoo magic, mon."

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Hi, thread!

I've been working on a hack for -- basically -- "mythical figures road tripping across weird Americana," which I'm calling Aes 66 as a placeholder name (think "aes sidhe" and "route 66"). The basic assumption is that if you cram a bunch of fae and knights and devils and hearth gods in a car and send it across America to parts unknown, it'll generate some drama all on its own.

The basic moves, a few basic playbooks and the skeleton of a rules system can be found here. I'd appreciate whatever criticism you're willing to give.

EDIT: Forgot sharing settings, like a chump.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 3, 2017

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Like an even bigger chump, forgot to turn on comments.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

Hi, thread!

I've been working on a hack for -- basically -- "mythical figures road tripping across weird Americana," which I'm calling Aes 66 as a placeholder name (think "aes sidhe" and "route 66"). The basic assumption is that if you cram a bunch of fae and knights and devils and hearth gods in a car and send it across America to parts unknown, it'll generate some drama all on its own.

The basic moves, a few basic playbooks and the skeleton of a rules system can be found here. I'd appreciate whatever criticism you're willing to give.

EDIT: Forgot sharing settings, like a chump.

That's a really neat concept, and I like what you've got so far for it - I'd definitely be very interested in playing something like this if I saw it on a shelf! I'll be taking a closer look at it when I get the chance.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Got an email announcing that Bedlam Hall (the PbtA hack that combines the Addams Family and Downton Abbey, from the guys that did Spirit of '77) has been approved for physical prints, so those should be going out soonish. Also got downloads for the PDF of the book :dance:

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012
Has anybody played or run The Veil? I ran a one-shot/intro session on the weekend, and although the system and playbook were very thematic and cool (and the art was glorious) I found myself a bit lost on applying some of the concepts (mainly Giri) to actual play situations.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Giri (and, by extension, Debts from Urban Shadows) is a little tricky in play depending on what sort of game you've got going. I've run into similar situations with the game I'm running. There's a lot of NPCs with Giri on people (and likewise the players have a bunch of Giri on each other), but I haven't been great about driving wedges between the players and seeding in potential conflicts. With the start of the new session, I'm hoping to have NPCs pulling players in different directions and have that give people reasons to call in Giri on other players.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012
Actually, players seemed to be okay so far with using Giri as a reason to cooperate, it's been working decently as a call to action (at least the Giri incurred in character creation has). The problem I had was there wasn't a good yardstick for when and how to award Giri following a move. I had a few times where players were trying to sway NPCs with promises (and Cred), and it would've made a lot of sense for the player to be able to choose "you incur Giri to them" (and I could then sick the Honorbound onto them :getin:) but that isn't an option in the Sway move, even though it seems like the appropriate move otherwise. Instead, there is the confusing "your own Giri is in question now" which doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

How did you handle situations like this? I could have NPCs aggressively demand/enforce it, of course, but it limits my options, and kind of steps on the Honorbound's toes a little

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Looking to start a short campaign of The Sprawl in the near future with some friends and it's my first time using the system. Any good advice, things to watch out for, etc from folks who've played it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don't use the Hacker.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Out of curiosity, why not?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

MagnesiumB posted:

Looking to start a short campaign of The Sprawl in the near future with some friends and it's my first time using the system. Any good advice, things to watch out for, etc from folks who've played it?
Listen to your players, but also let them know their character creation choices directly influence what is going to happen during the game - nudge them towards avoiding putting in "safe" choices. Put in lots of threads they can pull on whenever they are seeking to accomplish anything - preferably too many for them to grab them all. Remind them they can always flashback in a scene of discovery later, if they have [intel], and try to set a hard limit of how long prep can take. Play fast and loose with the Action clocks, introduce clearly visible changes to the situation when they reach higher levels. Try to find ways to involve Playbooks that usually don't do much during Legwork in Legwork.

Golden Bee posted:

Don't use the Hacker.

I would say less "don't use the Hacker" than "use Hacker only if you have a firm idea in mind and know what you're doing". The rules for hacking and the Matrix in general are not very well written and you'll default to winging it a lot of the time, and it really helps to have an idea of what a Hacker can and cannot do and how. There's also the issue of managing screen time, where the Hacker is traditionally a huge problem in all cyberpunk games. It's a lot easier in The Sprawl than, say, CP2020 (at least in my experience), but probably still something a first-time GM (and players!) will struggle with.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The hacker has an entire page of extra core moves. They'll monopolize rolls and screentime.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'm interested in a Space Opera pbta game. Any opinions on Uncharted Worlds or Farflung, or other suggestions?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I personally think impulse drive is just flat out better than uncharted worlds, which has supremely zoomed out moves I don't quite get along with alongside a book that just doesn't gel.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ShineDog posted:

I personally think impulse drive is just flat out better than uncharted worlds, which has supremely zoomed out moves I don't quite get along with alongside a book that just doesn't gel.

Yeah I kinda regret backing uncharted worlds.
Impulse Drive is better in every way.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The weird mechanic where bad stuff happening to you leads to plot events occurring is weird and charming. You get punched in the head and that makes your ex girlfriend show up.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
What I really regret is backing tremulus. I'll check out Impulse Drive though.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Speaking of tremulus, is there a good, horror-themed PbtA game out there?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Impulse Drive is good because it points to a particular kind of story, rather than just being "PbtA in [setting]" without thought to the kinds of stories you tell in that setting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

ShineDog posted:

The weird mechanic where bad stuff happening to you leads to plot events occurring is weird and charming. You get punched in the head and that makes your ex girlfriend show up.

If you love mounting stakes, you'd enjoy "movies" and "tv."

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Meinberg posted:

I've heard good things about Bluebeard's Bride, though that's a very specific horror niche.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Meinberg posted:

Urban Shadows is pretty good, but that's very much "horror themed" instead of horror. It's basically World of Darkness: Apocalypse Edition. I like it very much but its not really a horror game so much as supernatural mysteries where half the party is undead.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Meinberg posted:

I've been meaning to give Black Stars Rise a go some time, and as a bonus that one's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Lovecraftesque is amazing for setting up that creeping horror, and the book has a well written guide on how to navigate the scenes.