Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Serious advice? Rename your bro's "dude 1, dude 2, dude 3". Play a couple of games and lose them on purpose so you stop caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blisster posted:

Ugh I'm so bad at actually playing this in ironman. I get attached to my bros and then end up alt+f4ing when they die. However this means that I am not really getting much better at the game, so I continually lose guys.

In my current campaign I've got some core bros up to level 8-9ish, with a bunch of mid level guys. Starting to get mail hauberks and decent helmets for everyone. Any tips for keeping bros alive during this stage of the game? I find my frontliners on the flanks tend to get surrounded when I'm outnumber, then murdered. I've been trying to keep spear guys in those positions so they can spearwall, but it doesn't always help. My low level bros die the most of course, they seem pretty useless at this stage and hard to level up.

Low-level bros with promise should go in the back with polearms until they level up to a point where they can survive somewhere else. If you have any, two-handed bros with Underdog should go on the flanks to maximize the utility of their cleave attacks. If you have spare money, start buying proper good suits of armour (scale especially) and giving them to your highest fatigue/best/most vulnerable bros, depending. Spearwalls on the flank are more useful for forcing opponents into the centre than for actually holding the flank, because once the spearwall is broken your spear guy is vulnerable and won't be dealing a lot of damage to actually get rid of those flanking opponents. Otherwise a lot of it may come down to picking your fights, retreating if necessary, and having reserve bros you can swap in so you're never sending someone into battle injured or with damaged armour.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Pull the flanks in a bit too. Make your front line bow shapes instead of an actual line, and if you use spearwall flankers make it higher level dudes with high accuracy and spear mastery.

Put your great swords at the bend points in the now and your spear dudes at the very end.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
How exactly are you supposed to deal with decent enemy ranged like marksmen and goblins? My problem is that they mercilessly slaughter my archer bros, even if I stick them behind a shield-walling front line with kite shields. Part of the problem is that I lost my initial batch of decent archers to marksmen in the swamp, but even the marksmen shooting at normal shield bros have a surprising hit rate. Is the answer better armor? Give archers a shield until they level up enough to have really good ranged defence?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Make sure you level them up correct, the focus should be initiative, ranged def and ranged attack to the exclusion of nearly everything else, and you want dodge and anticipation as soon as possible.

After that, there's not a lot you can do except advance them to the hex directly behind your shieldbrothers. They shouldn't die in droves, though - make sure they have good armor and that you make it a priority to harass enemy marksmen: break through the enemy line with high damage brothers, sic dogs on them, or have brothers flank wide and enter their zone of control from behind or the sides.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Viking_Helmet posted:

How exactly are you supposed to deal with decent enemy ranged like marksmen and goblins? My problem is that they mercilessly slaughter my archer bros, even if I stick them behind a shield-walling front line with kite shields. Part of the problem is that I lost my initial batch of decent archers to marksmen in the swamp, but even the marksmen shooting at normal shield bros have a surprising hit rate. Is the answer better armor? Give archers a shield until they level up enough to have really good ranged defence?

Wait until night.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
You can also have some frontline bros with massive armor, defensive perks like steel brow, and garbage ranged defense. They'll act like magnets.

Goblin arrows, for instance, rarely even do armor damage if you have 300+ def helmet and armor and battle forged.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I am working on being more heartless about dudes dying and it is paying off. Definitely having more fun playing legit ironman, although I have been reloading particularly tough battles occasionally.

It was hard to lost Tostig the Halfman and Arnulf the Pimp in one battle, but the company will live on!

I chose the flag with the guy holding his own severed head which I think has helped me get into the mindset.

I have also been taking colossus and steel brow on basically everyone. Might bite me later but it seems to be helping with survivability a fair bit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So in the lead up to the undead invasion is there any point to start destroying as many undead places such as necromancer hideouts as possible?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Holy gently caress. I was on my way to do a pretty easy looking retrieve artifact mission and got ambushed at night by 5 Necrosavants! It's the first time I've encountered them. At night in heavy snow.

They ended up murdering my rookie archer and heavily wounding some guys, but then were torn apart by war dogs. The last one kept teleporting to try to attack isolated dogs but they basically surrounded it and chased it into the woods.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

on day 25 of a new game and had a 1 star mission with goddamn 2 necrosavants. :argh:

got lucky and only had 1 dude die, but almost lost it because of a mass rout from that bullshit.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I read a recommendation in a guide online that you should build two dudes in your company who have the appropriate stats as pure utility/control, and having tried it I couldn't agree more. Give them Bags&Belts and Quick Hands so they can carry a crossbow, a polearm and three nets to swap to at leisure, top off with survival and mobility skills. Necrosavants can eat poo poo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hunt11 posted:

So in the lead up to the undead invasion is there any point to start destroying as many undead places such as necromancer hideouts as possible?
Those locations won't be able to spawn raiding parties, at least, so it can make things safer. I've cleared out the area around frontier settlements to keep them from getting overrun when I was playing with permanent destruction. It seemed to help at least to some degree, but I'm not sure how much it actually achieves. Lairs tend to pop up in similar locations and I'm pretty sure the game prioritizes lairs belonging to appropriate factions when spawning new ones in the time leading up to a crisis. So it's possible you'll destroy one only for it to be replaced a week later. I have no idea how likely that is/how exactly the game mechanics work in this regard, though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

I read a recommendation in a guide online that you should build two dudes in your company who have the appropriate stats as pure utility/control, and having tried it I couldn't agree more. Give them Bags&Belts and Quick Hands so they can carry a crossbow, a polearm and three nets to swap to at leisure, top off with survival and mobility skills. Necrosavants can eat poo poo.

I did this but I made them primarily mace/shield bros, and then I found that I barely even use the nets because their stun is so effective.

Tias
May 25, 2008

If you don't need the nets, what do you give them in the other slots? Quick Hands and BB has to be used for carrying something, after all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tias posted:

If you don't need the nets, what do you give them in the other slots? Quick Hands and BB has to be used for carrying something, after all.

Bandages? You gotta get that cheevo somehow

Tias
May 25, 2008

I guess, but I rarely ever have more than one critical bleeding at a time, so a couple of line troopers carrying bandages are enough

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tias posted:

They have nets anyway, I just find that more often than not I don't need them. Mace/shield is a versatile enough combo that I don't find they need an alternate weapon other than a dagger for the occasional stab party to make sure I get a particular piece of loot. Almost every enemy in the game is vulnerable to either stun or fatigue and maces do decent damage to everybody, so macebros with high accuracy and high fatigue are useful in almost every fight, and the nets are an added bonus if needed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I find nets are useful for necrosavants and high level dudes who i want to eliminate safely. Hoggart usually gets netted early as ill usually buy a fisher brother before fighting him. Later on its bandit leaders/gobbo overseers/orc warbosses that get netted

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dogstile posted:

I find nets are useful for necrosavants and high level dudes who i want to eliminate safely. Hoggart usually gets netted early as ill usually buy a fisher brother before fighting him. Later on its bandit leaders/gobbo overseers/orc warbosses that get netted

I just had a really brutal necrosavant fight that I forgot to break out the nets for. :saddowns:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Neat tip, looking forward to trying it!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Right now doing the orc ambition and managed to fight a portion of the map with 5 orc bases. Unfortunately they are all the highest rank orc base and I have no idea how to handle those with any degree of finesse. So do I just look around the area and hope for easier targets or just keep on bashing my heads against the big bases until they eventually crack?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

Right now doing the orc ambition and managed to fight a portion of the map with 5 orc bases. Unfortunately they are all the highest rank orc base and I have no idea how to handle those with any degree of finesse. So do I just look around the area and hope for easier targets or just keep on bashing my heads against the big bases until they eventually crack?

Wait for orc bands to wander, fight those. Take the orc ambition assignments, you don't have to remove all their bases to win the quest. Like, a one skull warlord hunt is usually doable, even if you don't have all your men leveled up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I had my eyes on this hedge knight in a keep and I went off to gather funds to buy that sucker. But in that progress I accidentally accepted a noble goblin mission. I broke contract, got a faction hit and when i went to buy my fat hedge knight he was gone!

Will he reappear if I get my relations up to normal again?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Affi posted:

So I had my eyes on this hedge knight in a keep and I went off to gather funds to buy that sucker. But in that progress I accidentally accepted a noble goblin mission. I broke contract, got a faction hit and when i went to buy my fat hedge knight he was gone!

Will he reappear if I get my relations up to normal again?

im pretty sure recruits are random? don't think it has anything to do with relations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
When I got my relations to unfriendly it seemed to impact how many recruits settlements offered me (I think)

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
What exactly was the contract? It may have been due to the town taking an economic hit, not relations. Or maybe you were gone long enough that the recruit pool refreshed.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

grrarg posted:

What exactly was the contract? It may have been due to the town taking an economic hit, not relations. Or maybe you were gone long enough that the recruit pool refreshed.

Faction mission not town, but it could definitely be time that passed.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

drat! I just lost Sigmar True-Shot. He was a hunter I recruited on day 3, and he carried my mercenary band through the early game with his incredible aim. Despite having Eagle Eyes and awesome stats he also had Insecure, and with a background describing him as a lone hunter from the northern tundra, I always pictured him as quietly and humbly rescuing the other brothers with his well placed arrows. I kept him on even after he suffered a permanent broken elbow and he racked up 87 kills over 76 battles.

In the same battle I lost Leif the Mad, who was once a simple daytaler but obviously more suited to mercenary work since he was both irrational and bloodthirsty. He'd become a pretty decent swordsman and would have been really nice to have for the upcoming undead scourge. I also lost both their suits of armour which is almost as bad.

This battle was a mission against rampaging orcs for almost 3000 gold, but it was the first time I encountered Orc Warriors in real numbers (8 of them, plus a berserker and 2 young). I haven't invested in any hammers so they took forever to take down and overwhelmed my Southern flank. Poor Sigmar also came back as a zombie and had to be put down again.

I think I'm at the point that I need to start adding two-handers to the roster. Most of my guys are around level 6-8, I've got Lamellar or better on all my front liners. I've been grooming Volker the Quick to be my first greatsword guy- he's got Iron Lungs and Quick, so I'm hoping it will work.

I just got a mission to retrieve an artifact, but I don't have a marker on my map anywhere. Do I actually have to hunt around for the site? The contract type shows "Expedition."

Edit: The world is hosed. I just encountered a group of 66 Undead- not sure how many were Necrosavants, but lots of em. I retreated of course, but that's a bit scary.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 25, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is always something disappointing when you attack a major stronghold and don't find any legendary items.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Wait, when did Bags and Belts become good again?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, when did Bags and Belts become good again?

It's not amazing. But I have it on my crossbow / polearming dudes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Tell that to the Swiss Army Knife company I had in Early Access :colbert:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It happened in one of the post release updates.

My two hander dudes can now carry heavy kite shields until the enemy closes to protect against arrows, switch to two hander swords OR hammers when they do, and switch to a polearm to help focus fire on tough enemies they cant reach.

All without any penalty to fatigue. Its awesome! Well worth a pair of perks (bags and belts and quick hands) imo.

Obviously all my archers need it just to stay flush with arrows after they get berserk but that was true before the change as well.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Boy noble war is rough. Dudes have a lot of armour and hurt as heck!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Affi posted:

Boy noble war is rough. Dudes have a lot of armour and hurt as heck!

its also the most lucrative war if you take some knives. knights can have coat of scale/plates.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like the noble war the best but you're hosed if you don't aim to have all of your frontliners in 200+ armor/helms before it gets rolling. My main annoyance was the huge combined battles that can have wildly varying outcomes depending on how dumb your AI teammates decide to be. I haven't done the undead invasion yet and don't think I want to - I just have no damned fun fighting skeletons.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

Yeah skeletons suck. Even longaxes don't seem to reliably break their sheilds in one hit, so they just slowly wear you down while you flail at their high defenses.

Right after I ran from that group of 66 undead (and spent a shitload at the temple healing the resulting injuries) I got caught by another group of 30 or so- mixed between skeletons and weidergangers. Gonna have to retreat again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Do brothers ever get high enough fatigue to wear the plate armors? I mostly roll in 150arm to save my fatigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Affi posted:

Do brothers ever get high enough fatigue to wear the plate armors? I mostly roll in 150arm to save my fatigue.

Yes! I had a bro with a greatsword in plate armor and a 200+ hat and he could move AND fight!